• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are Japanese devs more "No Bullshots" politic compared to their western colleagues?

Cleve

I don't think you can draw a line between east and west on this. Both are guilty of bullshotting, and both can be equally transparent, too. Even with your Witcher 3 example: CDPR put out tons of undoctored, direct-feed shots, and it was in fact the source of pre-release downgrade rumors.

There we go. There's plenty of examples on both sides for this. I don't think saying it's a eastern or western thing is realistic. Just some confirmation bias from the op.

Star Ocean 4

LIE
iGaPQZq.jpg

REALITY
Bs5TjcF.jpg

https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/list-of-rendering-resolutions.41152/

Playstation 3 - Star Ocean 4: The Last Hope = 1024x720 (2xAA, in field), ~930x512 (2xAA, in battle)

Xbox 360 - Star Ocean 4 = 1248x702 (2xAA + edge blur/DOF, in field), ~936x512 (no AA, in battle)

fUCK YOU TRI-ACE!
MzfcL9x.png

Never forget

Never forgive

Peltz

Nintendo definitely does put out Splatoon pictures at 720p with perfect AA and AF compared to the final game.

Screenshot of Moray Towers put out by Nintendo:

tumblr_nr582gzqn81u3akyno4_1280.jpg

Image from similar angle I just took from my Wii U:

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01ncxhf.jpg

edit: while I had it open:

Yep. I stand corrected.

tbd

The DoF in their bullshot is significantly better, the colors are different, there are better textures, etc.

Better textures? All I see in the Skyward Sword bullshots is that Nintendo was just trying to showcase the unique paint filter so everyone can see it. Everyone knew the Wii wasn't capable of HD graphics. Always thought the Skyward Sword bullshots were legitimate.

I could be wrong but hasn't Sony been very good at this this generation? I cannot recall any time a first party game was bullshoted, people thought the order 1886 may had been, but that game looks just as good as its trailers

Moosichu

I could be wrong but hasn't Sony been very good at this this generation? I cannot recall any time a first party game was bullshoted, people thought the order 1886 may had been, but that game looks just as good as its trailers

No they do bullshot. At least the supersample some of their official screens. They don't do running their games on PC hardware and then downgrading them though. Their gameplay trailers are usually legit...

Your Mario Kart 8 shots are bad examples since none of the pictures are in the game's native resolution (720p). The actual picture provided by Nintendo:

I don't think they bullshot MK8 since they never applied anti-aliasing (unlike Splatoon!). This particular picture is from E3 2013 though so there may be track improvements if you compare with the final game.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Better textures? All I see in the Skyward Sword bullshots is that Nintendo was just trying to showcase the unique paint filter so everyone can see it. Everyone knew the Wii wasn't capable of HD graphics. Always thought the Skyward Sword bullshots were legitimate.

As I said in the previous post, I've done a deeper dive elsewhere on the forum in the past and it is definitely bullshot territory beyond "just higher res/AA" territory. Like, even rendering at 4K those visuals absolutely are not possible in game.

Jobbs

Banned
I think Ubisoft is guilty of knowingly bullshitting us, because their lies have been so repeated and severe, but in general I don't think most devs intend to deceive with their early stuff. When W3 said that's how the game looked but they were forced to redo their whole rendering pipeline later for various reasons, I believe them.

Early footage/screens typically are the devs doing the best they can without yet facing the reality of actual hardware limitations. Think of it more as aspirational or target than deception.

Man I wish the Wii U's hardware wasn't a piece of garbage. Nintendo's games look so good, but they would look infinitely better in 1080p, with AA, at 60fps. Their art style is literally asking for it.

Also I don't think it matters, east or west, they all like to bullshot.

I wouldn't say thats a bs, as it already looks kinda meh, but its also an arcade game. If it coems to Wii U you better believe there won't be any AA.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Nintendo definitely does put out Splatoon pictures at 720p with perfect AA and AF compared to the final game.

Screenshot of Moray Towers put out by Nintendo:

tumblr_nr582gzqn81u3akyno4_1280.jpg

Image from similar angle I just took from my Wii U:

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01ncxhf.jpg

edit: while I had it open:

Damn that's some bullshot.

Star Ocean 4

LIE
iGaPQZq.jpg

REALITY
Bs5TjcF.jpg

https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/list-of-rendering-resolutions.41152/

Playstation 3 - Star Ocean 4: The Last Hope = 1024x720 (2xAA, in field), ~930x512 (2xAA, in battle)

Xbox 360 - Star Ocean 4 = 1248x702 (2xAA + edge blur/DOF, in field), ~936x512 (no AA, in battle)

fUCK YOU TRI-ACE!
MzfcL9x.png

Never forget

Never forgive

Lol....
--------------------------
If we dig deep enough we'll find examples everywhere.

Top Bottom