• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are Secretlab chairs worth their price?

GymWolf

I'm on the market for a new chair and since some gaffers have these chairs i wanted to ask if they are really better compared to all the other gaming chairs.

In italy is harder to found refurbished herman miller chairs and i'm not fucking paying 600 euros for a used chair.

I'm a relatively big boy, 190cm for 90-100kg depends on the season, i'm interested in the titan evo 2020 because the 2022 seems to have very minor upgrades, does anyone of you tried both?

I'm going with the softwawe cover because leather is super sweaty in the summer, my only doubt about softwave is how comfortable it is when it touche the skin, is the fabrique soft enough?

Any impression, comparison etc. Is well accepted.

Thanks in advance.

P.s. they have san valentine discount jist for today so i would love to close the deal today and pay a bit less.

GymWolf

Honestly, a lot of these gaming chair are terrible long term for your posture.
Get an office chair, not a gaming chair.

I can't tell you what since I live in a tiny place where there's not much choice and got one from my last job for free :/
Secretlabs seems to be famous for being much much better than any other gaming chair.

I don't give a damn about the look or for it to be a gaming chair or a office chair, but harman miller chairs are too overpriced and like i said, i'm not gonna pay 500-600 euros for an used chair.

If you can advise for some big, sturdy office chair around 400-500 that i can buy in europe, i'm all ears.

Last edited:

unlurkified

Got a 2022 leather model a few months ago and have been loving it so far. I too am big (189cm) and live in Japan where all the office chairs are built for small people, so getting the XL has been a great contrast to my previous small office chair. Everything on the Titan is adjustable, so it’s easy to find a comfortable configuration. Worth the money I’d say.

unlurkified

Ah, forgot to mention that I think the 2022 model has a few significant improvements over the 2020 one, especially the adjustable lumbar support, so I’d go for that.

FingerBang

I got one last year, a titan 2022, because I was able to get it for something like £200. I wasn't interested in getting a new chair, I thought my Amazon basic was already good enough, but this one is exponentially better. I sit on it all day because of my job and it feels great. I think they're worth their price, but like everything, you're past the point of diminished return when you spend £3-400 on it.

The chairs have fantastic build quality, are really comfortable and can be adjusted in many different ways to make sure you're comfortable.

I have tried both the Evo 2020 and 2022, my gf has the 2020. I think the 2022 is much nicer and feels more premium. I would consider a 2020 only if it was much cheaper.

TrebleShot

Yes, they are very good, I have the TITAN 22 it has lumbar support, nice adjustments and the difference with it compared to a standard chair is the higher back support and cushioning.
It supports you if you want to lean back or rest your head.

GymWolf

no, they aren't. If you really want to get a good chair for your spine just fork out for an Aeron by Herman Miller. They are top quality and actually good for your back.
You mean the one with a base price of 1200+ euros even before starting the personalization\configuration?

I'm never gonna pay that much for a chair, sorry.

Also, on reddit\internet many people find the secretlabs more comfy, with chairs there is not always a correct answer for everyone.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I don't give a damn about the look or for it to be a gaming chair or a office chair, but harman miller chairs are too overpriced and like i said, i'm not gonna pay 500-600 euros for an used chair.

You're doing yourself a disservice then. I got an Aeron at the start of the pandemic when I knew I'd be working from home from now on and I've never looked back. You can sit in these things literally ALL day and won't feel a thing.

However they're not the only ones, I hear good things about Steelcase Leap. Your best bet is probably to go try some in-person at a store and then find the one you want as a refurb online. Gamer chairs are absolute dross. Some might be comfy at first but they're not good for going the distance, if you're like me and you spent many hours a day sat in one it's the single best investment you can make next to a good quality mattress. Something like an Aeron, you don't immediately go "wow" when you sit down, but you'll forget you've been sitting down all day when you get back up.

If you cheap out you're just going to replace it even quicker and it'll cost you more in the long run.

GymWolf

Pro gamers and twitch streamers use the gimmicky gaming products because they're sponsored by the gaming brands. If you research the market there's almost always a better alternative in every non-gaming-first category, i.e. headphones, mics, chairs, food etc.
I don't watch streamers nor i give a fuck about what chair\products they use, i'm not really the type of guy who cares about these things.

I just studied a bit on the internet and harman miller\secret labs are always the most advised chairs.

GymWolf

You're doing yourself a disservice then. I got an Aeron at the start of the pandemic when I knew I'd be working from home from now on and I've never looked back. You can sit in these things literally ALL day and won't feel a thing.

However they're not the only ones, I hear good things about Steelcase Leap. Your best bet is probably to go try some in-person at a store and then find the one you want as a refurb online. Gamer chairs are absolute dross. Some might be comfy at first but they're not good for going the distance, if you're like me and you spent many hours a day sat in one it's the single best investment you can make next to a good quality mattress. Something like an Aeron, you don't immediately go "wow" when you sit down, but you'll forget you've been sitting down all day when you get back up.

If you cheap out you're just going to replace it even quicker and it'll cost you more in the long run.
I only sit in a chair when i play at night for a couple of hours and when i watch the occasional movie, my line of work is pretty active during the day.

In my city there is no harman miller shop and like i said, i'm not gonna spend 600 (or more) euros for a chair where someone sweated his ass on for years.

I looked for the steelcase one and the price is as ridicolous as the harman miller, no offense, but fuck that.

Trying the chair is not an option, my city only have shitty brands and i work all day, not much chance to go around the city trying chairs...

Last edited:

Thebonehead

Banned
In my city there is no harman miller shop and like i said, i'm not gonna spend 600 (or more) euros for a chair where someone sweated his ass on for years.

That's a selling point for some :)

On a serious note, I would go and try these chairs out if at all possible. I tested quite a few chairs before settling on what i use at work.. A Herman Miller Aeron

Schmendrick

Once you´ve had a good ergo chair you`ll never look at anything else anymore. Downside...those are a tad expensive. Mine was an easy 3k..

Forget the gaming-labeled spinekillers or you`ll regret it dearly down the line.

GymWolf

That's a selling point for some :)

On a serious note, I would go and try these chairs out if at all possible. I tested quite a few chairs before settling on what i use at work.. A Herman Miller Aeron
I'm not gonna go around trying chairs and like i said, there is no harman miller seller in my city so no way to try even if i wanted to.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I only sit in a chair when i play at night for a couple of hours and when i watch the occasional movie

Then I wouldn't even pay for a gaming chair. Just pick a much cheaper one that reviews say is comfy, world's your oyster if you only need it for a few hours a night. Get a nice leather recliner or something!

GymWolf

Then I wouldn't even pay for a gaming chair. Just pick a much cheaper one that reviews say is comfy, world's your oyster if you only need it for a few hours a night. Get a nice leather recliner or something!
I don't wanna cheap out too much, some days it can hapoen that i stay sit for more hours, just not entire days of offce work like some people in here.

I already fucked up my spine with my line of work + gym, at least when i sit i want something comfortable and big that doesn't make everything worse.

SLB1904

Banned
Nope. Buy an amazon office chair. So much cozy and comfortable. If the chair you trying to buy looks like a racing car seat? Do not buy

Also for the budget you have you sorted. Also don't believe these secretlabs reviews. They all paid.
I'm saying that as someone who has secretlab chair

Last edited:

GymWolf

Do all the people who shat on secretlabs chairs even tried those chairs or they base their opinion on the old stigma that ALL the car seat looking chairs must be shit?

Because i was already aware of this, you are not telling me anything new, my question is specific for the secretlabs because they seems to be the only decent chairs that you can buy without selling your internal organs to the black market.

Last edited:

AV

I don't wanna cheap out too much, some days it can hapoen that i stay sit for more hours, just not entire days of offce work like some people in here.

I already fucked up my spine with my line of work + gym, at least when i sit i want something comfortable and big that doesn't make everything worse.

I mean, it's your call. If you're going to spend 400 Euro on something like a new Secretlab anyway then you'd be a real fool not to spend a little bit more and get a refurbed Aeron, especially if you've got established back and spine problems. There's a reason they're expensive new and a reason they've been the industry benchmark for almost 30 years.

You don't have to worry about "ass sweat smell" with a used, they're a mesh material, it's like an ass hammock with breathable holes. You would need a size C for your size though, like me.

And yeah I tried a Secretlab at a mate's house, it was comfy - for a gaming chair. It will never replace a good ergonomic office chair.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I only sit in a chair when i play at night for a couple of hours and when i watch the occasional movie, my line of work is pretty active during the day.

Trying the chair is not an option, my city only have shitty brands and i work all day, not much chance to go around the city trying chairs...

You don’t need a super expensive chair. Herman Miller is extreme luxury brand, not the norm - and not something you need for only a couple hours of use.

Personally I just use a simple office chair that’s been just fine for me in comfort and support. Not once have I had an issue.

My recommendation is to try them out because ultimately you are the judge of what’s best.

If you have to go by recommendations this is what I use. A fraction of the price of a Herman Miller, and does what it’s intended to do just fine.

https://www.staples.com/staples-dexley-mesh-task-chair-black-56946/product_24398921

SLB1904

Banned
Do all the people who shat on secretlabs chairs even tried those chairs or they base their opinion on the old stigma that ALL the car seat looking chairs must be shit?

Because i was already aware of this, you are not telling me anything new, my question is specific for the secretlabs because they seems to be the only decent chairs that you can buy without selling your internal organs to the black market.
I have one.

If you want to purely game they are fine. But if you own a desk and eventually want to be comfortable feet up and sort they arent great.

GymWolf

You don’t need a super expensive chair. Herman Miller is extreme luxury brand, not the norm - and not something you need for only a couple hours of use.

Personally I just use a simple office chair that’s been just fine for me in comfort and support. Not once have I had an issue.

My recommendation is to try them out because ultimately you are the judge of what’s best.

If you have to go by recommendations this is what I use. A fraction of the price of a Herman Miller, and does what it’s intended to do just fine.

https://www.staples.com/staples-dexley-mesh-task-chair-black-56946/product_24398921
I'm ok with spending around 500 euros for a quality product, not with spending 1200++ euros.

gaming chairs suck. all of them. if you like the look then buy a cheap ass knock off. don't waste your money on "premium" ones cause they are all trash.

edit: there is a chair from ikea that is quite popular. maybe have a look on there.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Honestly, a lot of these gaming chair are terrible long term for your posture.
Get an office chair, not a gaming chair.

I can't tell you what since I live in a tiny place where there's not much choice and got one from my last job for free :/
ugh....
Secretlab is not an every OEM chinese chair like everyone thinks when word "gaming chair" is used.

I've got secretlab titan evo 2022 and let me tell you, it is fantastic and offers all possible adjustments. Just all the same + more as way overpriced harmans.
You get 3 chair sizes to customize to your weight/size. You get ergo adjustments like height, backrest tilt, whole seat tilt, lumbar height, lumbar depth, neck pillow adjustment (magnetic).
The only adjustment that is missing is seat depth but that's why you get 3 chair sizes.

Then you also get choice of material. I use fabric myself since it is more breathable.
GymWolf GymWolf I've got arctic white and it is showing some staining after more than a year. Like only under certain light and I am cleaning with secretlab fabric wipes. It's all brand new looking and feeling beside that.
I will post a pic below

The seat also is very FIRM. The foam is cold cured shit or something. But what I found is that, you don't get initial "italian couch feel" but I don't get sore ass like I did on my previous chairs. It works and helps you keep good posture.
I also really like 4d armrests. I tilt them inwards when I play with controller.

One honest note - I did bought titan evo 2022 on it's release and first batches had major backrest problems. my firs backrest was very fucking noisy. 2nd one had crooked lumbar. Third one is perfect.
The support was very good and replaced each time no questions asked. They Send a courier with new backrest and arrange for courier to pick up the old one. Support took about a month. Slow but no problems.

69EDdnT.jpg

So yeah, no doubt hermans are good and all.... but this is 500$ and got many of the same features

GymWolf

Gamer chairs definitely aren't impressing any chicks 😂

Not sure where you're at, but my craigslist has tons of excellent used Herman Miller chairs for cheaper than a Secret Lab one.
I'm from italy and i don't like buying used stuff in general.

Women here are ignorant when it comes to videogames, they would not recognise a gaming chair if their life would depend on it.

Also you don't bring women in your man cave:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

baphomet

I'm from italy and i don't like buying used stuff in general.

Women here are ignorant when it comes to videogames, they would not recognise a gaming chair if their life would depend on it.

Keep in mind Herman Miller chairs all have a 12 year warranty.

Mine still has 8 years left.

GymWolf

ugh....
Secretlab is not an every OEM chinese chair like everyone thinks when word "gaming chair" is used.

I've got secretlab titan evo 2022 and let me tell you, it is fantastic and offers all possible adjustments. Just all the same + more as way overpriced harmans.
You get 3 chair sizes to customize to your weight/size. You get ergo adjustments like height, backrest tilt, whole seat tilt, lumbar height, lumbar depth, neck pillow adjustment (magnetic).
The only adjustment that is missing is seat depth but that's why you get 3 chair sizes.

Then you also get choice of material. I use fabric myself since it is more breathable.
GymWolf GymWolf I've got arctic white and it is showing some staining after more than a year. Like only under certain light and I am cleaning with secretlab fabric wipes. It's all brand new looking and feeling beside that.
I will post a pic below

The seat also is very FIRM. The foam is cold cured shit or something. But what I found is that, you don't get initial "italian couch feel" but I don't get sore ass like I did on my previous chairs. It works and helps you keep good posture.
I also really like 4d armrests. I tilt them inwards when I play with controller.

One honest note - I did bought titan evo 2022 on it's release and first batches had major backrest problems. my firs backrest was very fucking noisy. 2nd one had crooked lumbar. Third one is perfect.
The support was very good and replaced each time no questions asked. They Send a courier with new backrest and arrange for courier to pick up the old one. Support took about a month. Slow but no problems.

69EDdnT.jpg

So yeah, no doubt hermans are good and all.... but this is 500$ and got many of the same features
Nice recap, the 2022 model is 100 euros pricier and the only major update is having a second knob to regulate the heigh of the back support, not sure if i need that since i'm probably not gonna use that feature (it sound extremely uncomfortable to have a small dick pressing on my back spine:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Also, what the hell is that wood hand you have there? Is it a piece from the garpez collection?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Nice recap, the 2022 model is 100 euros pricier and the only major update is having a second knob to regulate the heigh of the back support, not sure if i need that since i'm probably not gonna use that feature (it sound extremely uncomfortable to have a small dick pressing on my back spine:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Also, what the hell is that wood hand you have there? Is it a piece from the garpez collection?
That's just ikea hand. Very HANDY for putting my wedding ring on when I get home. I like it.

About 2022 vs older. The lumbar support is a bit difficult to find your desired depth. It takes a few tries to find your good spot but it kinda works. Not sure if it's worth 100$.
The 2022 model also have more flat seat without the bucker seat wings I think, maybe ?

GymWolf

to chill.
Anyway you wanted an advice. Seems like you already made your mind.
If I knew what I know today. I eould save myself 300 quid
I didn't made up my mind, i was searching for alternatives that don't cost way more than double the price.

With chill you mean like taking a nap on the chair? I'm never gonna do that.

Last edited:

Lasha

The Titan is worth the price if you are in Asia and happen to be over 6' tall since there are few budget options for office chairs that suit tall people. Especially so in SEA where the chairs go on sale all the time. I don't know how much they sell for outside of Asia. I've enjoyed my Titan for years and the aftermarket support has been fine. They aren't as nice as Herman-miller but neither are they cheap.

GymWolf

The Titan is worth the price if you are in Asia and happen to be over 6' tall since there are few budget options for office chairs that suit tall people. Especially so in SEA where the chairs go on sale all the time. I don't know how much they sell for outside of Asia. I've enjoyed my Titan for years and the aftermarket support has been fine. They aren't as nice as Herman-miller but neither are they cheap.
I'm 190cm, so around 6.2+, they seems to be famous and well sold in america aswell.

OZ9000

Banned
I'm on the market for a new chair and since some gaffers have these chairs i wanted to ask if they are really better compared to all the other gaming chairs.

In italy is harder to found refurbished herman miller chairs and i'm not fucking paying 600 euros for a used chair.

I'm a relatively big boy, 190cm for 90-100kg depends on the season, i'm interested in the titan evo 2020 because the 2022 seems to have very minor upgrades, does anyone of you tried both?

I'm going with the softwawe cover because leather is super sweaty in the summer, my only doubt about softwave is how comfortable it is when it touche the skin, is the fabrique soft enough?

Any impression, comparison etc. Is well accepted.

Thanks in advance.

P.s. they have san valentine discount jist for today so i would love to close the deal today and pay a bit less.
My brother has the Titan 2022. It's a very comfortable chair. Very well built and also looks nice.

Fools idol

Banned
You mean the one with a base price of 1200+ euros even before starting the personalization\configuration?

I'm never gonna pay that much for a chair, sorry.

Also, on reddit\internet many people find the secretlabs more comfy, with chairs there is not always a correct answer for everyone.

Sure, whatever your budget is and personal preference. I was just pointing out the best option for spine health...

You can often find them refurbished much cheaper on ebay. I think I paid £450 for mine.

Considering I spend 50% of my life on a computer chair and 30% in bed, I happily spend on a high quality matress and chair.

GymWolf

Sure, whatever your budget is and personal preference. I was just pointing out the best option for spine health...

You can often find them refurbished much cheaper on ebay. I think I paid £450 for mine.

Considering I spend 50% of my life on a computer chair and 30% in bed, I happily spend on a high quality matress and chair.
Yeah my mattress costed way more that i want to admit:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

I just have a psychological block when it comes to spending that amount of money on a chair because i don't work in an office nor i stay seated for very long time except when i play (and it is never more than 2-3 hours anyway)

It just sound absurd that there is no decent office chair in the 500 euros price range, it's like you spend 1200++ euros or nothing.

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
Yeah my mattress costed way more that i want to admit:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

I just have a psychological block when it comes to spending that amount of money on a chair because i don't work in an office nor i stay seated for very long time except when i play (and it is never more than 2-3 hours anyway)
have you considered a standing desk? it's what all the hipsters have nowadays LOL

chixdiggit

A Hermann Miller Aeron chair was one of the worst purchases I ever made. Completely overpriced and not comfortable at all. It sits in a corner in my basement.
I picked up a costco chair for a fourth of the price and it has been great 4 years later.

Last edited:
Top Bottom