• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are Secretlab chairs worth their price?

The Skull

Absolutely not. I used one for a while and it gave me a lot of back issues. Invest in a good ergonomic office chair.

R6Rider

Gold Member
No and I'd also like to point out that you don't need to pay $1000 for a decent chair. That's just stupid.

soulbait

I got a Secret Lab chair, not because it is a gaming chair, but because it is a good office chair. I got the Titan XL version, so it is not an annoying bucket seat that hugs your hips and is very uncomfortable at time.

If you need a chair, Secret Lab is one of the best that is labeled as a "gaming chair".

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
P Panajev2001a , is your back OK ? How's your office chair?
My back is ok-ish, but I need to work on my posture quite a bit more.

Our office chairs are pretty decent but we have been working from home for the past two years only recently working in the office three days a week again. The office is new and I think the chairs are too (they are not mega fancy but they seem expensive, will see if I can take some pics). They did give us budget during the pandemic to buy monitors, chairs, even desks you could raise and lower via a built in motor… pretty generous. At home we still have the IKEA ones my wife and I bought 7-8 years ago hehe.

Full disclosure I have been working in the UK for a decade so I am not sure how the working conditions are in Italy now, but I do not doubt GymWolf GymWolf … companies can be pretty cheap and employee hostile. Especially if you are an external employee in a big org (think tech side of a bank).

Last edited:

Alebrije

Get a professsional office chair, your back will thank you specially on long gamming periods

Last edited:

GymWolf

No and I'd also like to point out that you don't need to pay $1000 for a decent chair. That's just stupid.
I don't like to buy used stuff and all the good office chairs are 1000+ euros.

Do you have any model to advise in the 500-600 price range?

I really don't wanna go too cheap with a ikea markus or some amazon office chair.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Our office chairs are pretty decent but we have been working from home for the past two years only recently working in the office three days a week again. The office is new and I think the chairs are too (they are not mega fancy but they seem expensive, will see if I can take some pics). They did give us budget during the pandemic to buy monitors, chairs, even desks you could raise and lower via a built in motor… pretty generous. At home we still have the IKEA ones my wife and I bought 7-8 years ago hehe.

Full disclosure I have been working in the UK for a decade so I am not sure how the working conditions are in Italy now, but I do not doubt GymWolf GymWolf … companies can be pretty cheap and employee hostile. Especially if you are an external employee in a big org (think tech side of a bank).

Ah sorry, thought you were in Italy still.

GymWolf

Dude do you know any italian\european site (possibly not from uk because you have to pay taxes etc.) that sell used chairs in great conditions?

Pro gamers and twitch streamers use the gimmicky gaming products because they're sponsored by the gaming brands. If you research the market there's almost always a better alternative in every non-gaming-first category, i.e. headphones, mics, chairs, food etc.
Nah the secret labs chairs are actually good

Valonquar

I'm 6'7 and 235lbs. I tried sitting in a Secret lab and hated it. Then went to a store that carried Herman Miller chairs. I tried both Aeron and Embody. Ended up going with Embody. 2ish years later chair is still like new and my back pain is non-existent. The Embody chair does seem be a love it or hate it chair though. I've seen other tall people online say they hated it and it made their back hurt. Only thing I can think is they didn't know how to adjust the chair or were using it with a foot stool or something which you kinda can't while maintaining proper posture.

Patrick S.

Banned
I have a Sedus Se:do chair I got from my job. They sell these chairs at our company's office equipment division and I snagged it for €50 because it had a small scratch on one side that you can't really see unless you know it's there. Our office department sales manager swears by them, and I think it's one of our best selling chairs, and it's not suuuper expensive.

I weigh 130KG, and can comfortably sit in that chair for eight hours without my ass or back hurting. And it has a modern look but doesn't look like a toy ;)

Might be worth a look for you?

Last edited:

Sakura

I've got a Titan 2022 and it is good, though I'm not as big as you OP.
People shit on gaming chairs, but they are really only talking about the cheapo gaming chairs (like the video a few posts above this), and don't realise that Secretlab chairs are actually good chairs.
Is a Herman Miller or other high quality office chair going to be better? Probably. But there is a reason they cost over a thousand (thousands?) of dollars. I would hope they were better at that price.
But if you need to sit in a chair that costs 1000+ dollars, otherwise you have back pain, then you probably have bigger issues.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I wouldn't personally recommend any gaming chair over an office chair. I've been sitting for a living for years... no one sits more than ppl that work in an office, even if you have standing one you'll be sitting more than half the time. I'd recommend a Herman Miller or Steelcase to something equivalent. There are chairs that can match tho two brands, they just don't have the name recognition.

Sorry OT: I don't think they're worth it.

If you look on craigslist or FB Marketplace you can probably get your hands on a good used Herman Miller/Steelcase. There have been a lot of startups/business that went out of business and are looking to liquidate their office furniture. I got really lucky with my Herman Miller chair, it was FREE, we were moving offices and they wanted to buy all new furniture. So, my office manager tipped me off and told me to just take one home... they're going to trash/donate them anyway lol
These office chairs are 2-5 times the price.
Secretlab is "only" 500$ in compaison and I am not sure what features it is lacking in comparison.
I am sure these office chairs are better but are these chairs 1500$ better ?

These office chairs are 2-5 times the price.
Secretlab is "only" 500$ in compaison and I am not sure what features it is lacking in comparison.
I am sure these office chairs are better but are these chairs 1500$ better ?
If you get options on your Scretlab's chair they can get well above $500, they start moving toward $800/$900 w/tax.

$1500 is for one of the high-end chairs aka the ones they love selling to corporate America. There are Herman Miller chairs that start from $700, just look at their Verus chair. There are even Steelcase chairs that start at $500, Series 1 chair, and they're a brand that is as good as Herman Miller. Trust me, I know office chairs are expensive... I had to do a lot of research on which one to buy when I became basically full-time WFH. I'm sitting 8 hrs a day, so I need to be comfortable. In my time looking up reviews, short-term and long-term reviews... office chairs are worth it. Gamer chairs are wildly overpriced. These chairs should be less than $200, but are priced at over $500. The materials aren't great and they don't seem to last very long.

I honestly suggest buying a used Herman Miller or Steelcase. I've seen Herman Miller Aeon and Mirra's going for $400 on Craigslist/FB Marketplace. Some of them were only 2-3 years old and these last for much longer than that. I'll admit that SecretLabs chairs are of "better" quality than most gamer chairs, but most gamer chairs don't last very long.

Yes but I am 6'8"

After years of trying cheaper "big & tall" chairs I finally spent the money for a Secretlab Titan XL about a year ago and I wish that I would have done so years ago.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
If you get options on your Scretlab's chair they can get well above $500, they start moving toward $800/$900 w/tax.

$1500 is for one of the high-end chairs aka the ones they love selling to corporate America. There are Herman Miller chairs that start from $700, just look at their Verus chair. There are even Steelcase chairs that start at $500, Series 1 chair, and they're a brand that is as good as Herman Miller. Trust me, I know office chairs are expensive... I had to do a lot of research on which one to buy when I became basically full-time WFH. I'm sitting 8 hrs a day, so I need to be comfortable. In my time looking up reviews, short-term and long-term reviews... office chairs are worth it. Gamer chairs are wildly overpriced. These chairs should be less than $200, but are priced at over $500. The materials aren't great and they don't seem to last very long.

I honestly suggest buying a used Herman Miller or Steelcase. I've seen Herman Miller Aeon and Mirra's going for $400 on Craigslist/FB Marketplace. Some of them were only 2-3 years old and these last for much longer than that. I'll admit that SecretLabs chairs are of "better" quality than most gamer chairs, but most gamer chairs don't last very long.
The cheap hermans don’t even have real backrest or head support

GymWolf

I live in europe and there are very few places where to buy used stuff and they are all from uk where you pay taxes and shit if you are outside uk (thanks brexit), one of the "biggest" one sell used stuff that you have to clean yourself, no offense but fuck that...

It is not remotely as easy as in america where apparently every office buy dozens of 1200 dollars chairs for their workers and you can find them for 1/5 of the price after a 5 min search.

Here in europe you have very poor choice and they cost way more even when refurbished.

And like rofif said, you pay premium for an used object without all the optional like a simple headrest, once again, fuck that...

Last edited:

Tams

They're not bad, but just get a Herman Miller. If price is an issue, then look for ex-office stock. They are still expensive, but they are a much more palatable price and are simply the best in the business.

Or just continue with a cheap Ikea office chair and get a height adjustable desk, and actually use the different heights.

Dr_Ifto

My gaming chair.
markus-office-chair-vissle-dark-grey__0724714_pe734597_s5.jpg
Holy shit, this is the chair I have, though i didnt get it from Ikea, but it looks absolutely the same. Good chair too.

The cheap hermans don’t even have real backrest or head support
I don't have a head support on my Mirra 2. I've had head support on numerous office chairs in the past, I've never used them unless I was napping at my desk, which is something I did frequently LOL I don't think a backrest is necessary if the ergonomics of a chair is good. Yea, one size doesn't fit all and I see the benefit of getting a backrest... but I've only gotten a backrest when the chair I had didn't have good ergonomic.

I live in europe and there are very few places where to buy used stuff and they are all from uk where you pay taxes and shit if you are outside uk (thanks brexit), one of the "biggest" one sell used stuff that you have to clean yourself, no offense but fuck that...

It is not remotely as easy as in america where apparently every office buy dozens of 1200 dollars chairs for their workers and you can find them for 1/5 of the price after a 5 min search.

Here in europe you have very poor choice and they cost way more even when refurbished.

And like rofif said, you pay premium for an used object without all the optional like a simple headrest, once again, fuck that...
Yea, it's much easier to find them used in the US. There are a lot more places to find them as well. You gotta remember, my search for a chair happened during a pandemic. A lot of businesses went out of "business" during the pandemic. A shit ton of offices here in SF shut down. Dozens of StartUps shutdown. Nearly every office I have visited on been in spends that kind of money on their chairs and tables, it's all written off as expenses. Our old office was filled with Herman Miller's, when we moved to our new office we switched out to Steelcase chairs with matching Steelcase desks.

I just did a search in my area and within less than 5 mins and I've found dozens of Herman Miller chairs going for less than $500, but I'm searching in an area that is close to business offices and WFH ppl. Your results may vary, of course.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I don't have a head support on my Mirra 2. I've had head support on numerous office chairs in the past, I've never used them unless I was napping at my desk, which is something I did frequently LOL I don't think a backrest is necessary if the ergonomics of a chair is good. Yea, one size doesn't fit all and I see the benefit of getting a backrest... but I've only gotten a backrest when the chair I had didn't have good ergonomic.
But I am napping at my desk lol and these are the best naps.
I just open the lever to enable whole chair tilt mode and lean back... for 20-30min.
If I went to get a nap on the couch, it would be 90-120min and I would feel worse after that :p

But I am napping at my desk lol and these are the best naps.
I just open the lever to enable whole chair tilt mode and lean back... for 20-30min.
If I went to get a nap on the couch, it would be 90-120min and I would feel worse after that :p
Well in that case a headrest is essential. I've never napped better than in chair with a headrest in the office :messenger_sleeping:

I usually kept my naps between 10-15 mins. I figure that is just long enough to re-energize, but not long enough to be a "problem" I used to make requests/emails sit for a little bit, unless it was an emergency, usually around 20 mins... that way my naps, just seem like regular wait time for a response :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

PUNKem733

Best decision I made is getting a Steelcase Leap V2 chari from craigslist. It is an overbuilt chair that can hold 500 pounds, I got it for $80 in Oct 2017, it was manufactured Feb 2017 so it was nearly new (it was new the guy who bought it was so small and didn't like how big it was), he wanted 130, I got him down to 80, and I come to find out the chair is $1429 brand new. I'm around 370 pounds, and for years, I plop my ass down with some force, and not one rattle, still looks like the day I got it.

wibago

Banned
I'm on the market for a new chair and since some gaffers have these chairs i wanted to ask if they are really better compared to all the other gaming chairs.

In italy is harder to found refurbished herman miller chairs and i'm not fucking paying 600 euros for a used chair.

I'm a relatively big boy, 190cm for 90-100kg depends on the season, i'm interested in the titan evo 2020 because the 2022 seems to have very minor upgrades, does anyone of you tried both?

I'm going with the softwawe cover because leather is super sweaty in the summer, my only doubt about softwave is how comfortable it is when it touche the skin, is the fabrique soft enough?

Any impression, comparison etc. Is well accepted.

Thanks in advance.

P.s. they have san valentine claudia oshry net worth discount jist for today so i would love to close the deal today and pay a bit less.
Herman Miller chairs, including the Titan Evo 2020, are often regarded as high-quality ergonomic chairs. They are known for their comfort, adjustability, and durability. Many people find them to be more comfortable and supportive compared to traditional gaming chairs. However, comfort is subjective, and it's important to consider individual preferences and body types.

Regarding the fabric cover, the Softweave material used in the Titan Evo is designed to be breathable and comfortable, especially in warmer weather. It should provide a softer feel compared to leather and minimize sweatiness during summer months. However, it's always a good idea to read customer reviews or try out the chair in person if possible to get a better sense of the fabric's comfort level for your specific needs.

As for the comparison between the Titan Evo 2020 and 2022 versions, while the 2022 version may have minor upgrades, the 2020 version should still offer a similar overall experience. If the price difference is significant, it could be worth considering the 2020 model, especially if the upgrades in the 2022 version are not critical to your requirements.

When making a purchasing decision, it's helpful to read reviews from other users who have tried both chairs, consider your specific needs and preferences, and factor in pricing and availability in your region. If possible, testing the chair in person or trying to find reviews from individuals with similar body types and preferences can also provide valuable insights.

Ultimately, the choice of chair will depend on your personal preferences, budget, and availability. It's important to find a chair that offers the right level of comfort and support for your needs.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
main difference 2020 vs 2022 is that 2022 got rid of the wings on the seat. It's more flat and easier to sit crosslegged.

Tams

Herman Miller chairs, including the Titan Evo 2020, are often regarded as high-quality ergonomic chairs. They are known for their comfort, adjustability, and durability. Many people find them to be more comfortable and supportive compared to traditional gaming chairs. However, comfort is subjective, and it's important to consider individual preferences and body types.

Regarding the fabric cover, the Softweave material used in the Titan Evo is designed to be breathable and comfortable, especially in warmer weather. It should provide a softer feel compared to leather and minimize sweatiness during summer months. However, it's always a good idea to read customer reviews or try out the chair in person if possible to get a better sense of the fabric's comfort level for your specific needs.

As for the comparison between the Titan Evo 2020 and 2022 versions, while the 2022 version may have minor upgrades, the 2020 version should still offer a similar overall experience. If the price difference is significant, it could be worth considering the 2020 model, especially if the upgrades in the 2022 version are not critical to your requirements.

When making a purchasing decision, it's helpful to read reviews from other users who have tried both chairs, consider your specific needs and preferences, and factor in pricing and availability in your region. If possible, testing the chair in person or trying to find reviews from individuals with similar body types and preferences can also provide valuable insights.

Ultimately, the choice of chair will depend on your personal preferences, budget, and availability. It's important to find a chair that offers the right level of comfort and support for your needs.
Tell Me More Jeff Goldblum GIF by National Geographic Channel
Yo Hello GIF by Botisimo

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Get a Herman Miller chair. Don't do what I did and get spine-twisting DX Racer because of "gamer chair" marketing.
Nobody is talking about Dxracer but secretlab.
It’s a totally different breed of chair that is closer to ergonomic than gamer.
In fact, I dont think Herman got any single more ergonomic function.
I don’t doubt Herman is more comfortable but it better be for 4 times the price.

Reallink

Nobody is talking about Dxracer but secretlab.
It’s a totally different breed of chair that is closer to ergonomic than gamer.
In fact, I dont think Herman got any single more ergonomic function.
I don’t doubt Herman is more comfortable but it better be for 4 times the price.

You should doubt. Herman Miller used to do free no cost returns on their high end chairs (not sure if they still do), and anecdotally a lot of people do wind up returning them cause they in fact do not find them more comfortable than stuff that's 1/10th the price. Quite a few people actually wind up actively hating them.

Tams

Fucking busted your arse.

ChatGPT (12th May model, input: GymWolf GymWolf 's OP):

When it comes to gaming chairs, opinions may vary depending on individual preferences. While some people may prefer gaming chairs, others find them less comfortable compared to alternatives like office chairs.

Herman Miller chairs are generally highly regarded for their quality and ergonomic design. However, finding refurbished Herman Miller chairs in Italy might be more challenging, and purchasing a new one can be expensive.

Considering your height and weight, the Titan Evo 2020 gaming chair could be suitable for you. The 2022 version has only minor upgrades, so the 2020 version should still be a good choice.

Opting for the SoftWeave cover is a wise decision if you find leather chairs sweaty in the summer. However, the comfort of the fabric against the skin can vary from person to person. It is recommended to try sitting in a chair with the SoftWeave fabric if possible to determine your personal comfort level.

It's always helpful to gather impressions and comparisons from individuals who have used both chairs to make a more informed decision.

Not to go full spaz, 'ChatGPT is the Anti-Christ!', Stack Overflow, but 'AI' generated comments should be labelled as such.

If you're a person, please bear that in mind. If a bot... well, if the person running you reads this (lol), don't clog up our forum up with your shit.

Top Bottom