• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are there any character action games like Devil May Cry or God of War, but with an arpg spin on them, similar to Diablo?

Drizzlehell

Banned
I mean it in the same way as you would describe Borderlands as a Diablo-meets-FPS kind of game, except instead of an FPS I'm looking for a character action game, with combo-based melee combat, decent enemy variety, third person camera. And no, God of War 2018 or Ragnarok is not what I'm looking for. Think something more like Godfall, except, you know, not garbage.

Looking back, I think that Darksiders II actually came the closest that I've ever played to a game like this, except it didn't feature any endgame content or any of that live service bullshit. I'm telling you:
perfect-homelander.gif

Bry0

Nioh 1, Nioh 2, Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin

All excellent and all RPG/action/loot games.
These are exactly what you want OP. If you want more challenge nioh 2, if you want something a little less like dark souls (I.e. no stamina system) and more of a dungeon crawler go with SOP.

They have tons of monsters, tiered loot, deep skill customization, randomized stats and tons of build possibilities

Last edited:
In terms of loot and build depth, Nioh 2 is the way to go. Most people never got to NG+5 so missing out the really stellar endgames.

Stranger of paradise 's job variety looks insane, but the game is not as polish as Nioh.

And I'm pretty sure when all of Wolong's DLC come out, it will be a complete package as well.

Last edited:

ShadowLag

As others have mentioned, the NIOH series is essentially Ninja Gaiden + Dark Souls + Diablo mashed together. If you want to create your own character though, skip to NIOH 2.

Bonus: NIOH 2 has 3-player online coop where you stay together after missions, and even hang out together at a bonfire leveling yourselves up while prepping for the next.

Last edited:

Hudo

NiOh 2 is my Diablo 4. And yes, I mean that unironcally. It's what I hoped Blizzard would do to evolve Diablo. Instead they just made Diablo 3 but darker (because muh gothic horror, I guess) and live-service instead of trying to evolve the formula more.

Drizzlehell

Banned
As others have mentioned, the NIOH series is essentially Ninja Gaiden + Dark Souls + Diablo mashed together. If you want to create your own character though, skip to NIOH 2.

Bonus: NIOH 2 has 3-player online coop where you stay together after missions, and even hang out together at a bonfire leveling yourselves up while prepping for the next.
NiOh 2 is my Diablo 4. And yes, I mean that unironcally. It's what I hoped Blizzard would do to evolve Diablo. Instead they just made Diablo 3 but darker (because muh gothic horror, I guess) and live-service instead of trying to evolve the formula more.
Interesting. I always thought that Nioh is just a Dark Souls rip-off but I never bothered to try it myself. I'm inclined to give it a shot now.

Hudo

Interesting. I always thought that Nioh is just a Dark Souls rip-off but I never bothered to try it myself. I'm inclined to give it a shot now.
I also think that NiOh 2 is a different beast than the first NiOh which is a bit more Soulslike, if you will. NiOh 2 goes away from this a bit more into being its own thing but closer to Diablo in a way (at least in my opinion). It's still hard as fuck, though.

I mean it in the same way as you would describe Borderlands as a Diablo-meets-FPS kind of game, except instead of an FPS I'm looking for a character action game, with combo-based melee combat, decent enemy variety, third person camera. And no, God of War 2018 or Ragnarok is not what I'm looking for. Think something more like Godfall, except, you know, not garbage.

Looking back, I think that Darksiders II actually came the closest that I've ever played to a game like this, except it didn't feature any endgame content or any of that live service bullshit. I'm telling you:
perfect-homelander.gif
Darksiders II is underappreciated, try Strangers of Paradise.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I also think that NiOh 2 is a different beast than the first NiOh which is a bit more Soulslike, if you will. NiOh 2 goes away from this a bit more into being its own thing but closer to Diablo in a way (at least in my opinion). It's still hard as fuck, though.
Good know, played first until the bat woman boss, just didn't want to try anymore but everything before it was great. Thing is: I played it right after beating Sekiro and the difference in quality between both felt like a abyss in between so didn't like Nioh as I liked other souls likes.

Is Nioh 2 more hack and slash or what's different?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
In terms of loot and build depth, Nioh 2 is the way to go. Most people never got to NG+5 so missing out the really stellar endgames.

Stranger of paradise 's job variety looks insane, but the game is not as polish as Nioh.

And I'm pretty sure when all of Wolong's DLC come out, it will be a complete package as well.
NiOh 2 is great. Lots of awesome boss battles. So much loot. It’s like 10x the game NiOh was. There’s more of a variety with soul cores.
Ryu Hayabusa is a boss fight.
Wo Long has potential. It needs more content and some extra bosses.

Nier Replicant is fun with some fantastic music. However, if you go down the Square route, I’d recommend XVI because it has those epic boss battles that I haven’t seen anywhere else.
There’s also Dark Alliance and other various hack n slash from the PS2/Xbox gen. Shining Force EXA or Neo aren’t bad.

kungfuian

Maybe not as grindy or loot heavy for what the op is talking about but I would say Dark Souls 3. Lots of different character builds and ways to approach combat. It's an amazing game!

El Muerto

Wanted: Dead. Game was made by ex Ninja Gaiden II devs and it's a breath of fresh air in this AAA remake reboot hellscape we're in. You can play it as a shooter or hack n' slash, also has skill tree upgrades. Great story and excellent characters.

Last edited:

Griffon

There's a real reason for that: DMC-likes require a lot of dexterity and great execution to play and enjoy, whereas RPG enjoyers are generally the least dexterous gamers there is, they usually enjoy easier execution gameplay that rather focus on the tactical and strategic aspects.

If you bring the two together, you've just reduced your potential audience in half and nobody really knows who is this game made for.
FF16, with all the weight of its huge IP, is kinda having this issue right now, and they introduced hamfisted solutions with the autoplay accessories.

Last edited:
Wanted: Dead. Game was made by ex Ninja Gaiden II devs and it's a breath of fresh air in this AAA remake reboot hellscape we're in. You can play it as a shooter or hack n' slash, also has skill tree upgrades. Great story and excellent characters.
I've not heard of this and it doesn't have great reviews (not that I trust them, just pointing this out)... what do you like about it?

Gandih42

On my first playthrough of Nioh 1 it was essentially a Souls-like with much more move/combo complexity. Then as you start getting into NG+ (and ++ and so on) the focus become all about crazy Diablo-esque builds, but with action gameplay and quite a lot of mechanical complexity.

I think I spent almost 200 hours to 100% (including DLC) and it was a blast, despite some of its weaknesses.

The biggest one being level design. The second biggest problem for me was that I was completely unable to get gear for some of the builds I wanted to try (like an infinite Shuriken ninja build). I must've gone through thousands of items trying to get Shuriken damage up on gloves, without getting a single one.

Haven't played Nioh 2 yet but I hope they improved those aspects! And if not, the game is still great, flaws and all.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Nier Automata

Also I haven't played it but that new Valkyrie profile might be an action rpg
Valkyrie Elysium? Yeah, I played a demo of that. The combat feels pretty good but the levels were pretty barren and even though it took me only about an hour to complete the demo, it was already starting to get a bit repetitive before I finished it.

The main character was very interesting, though, nahmean...
FcvrJW4XwAcJD9R.jpg

As others have said, Final Fantasy XVI is exactly this from what I've played of the demo. It's hard to associate a mainline entry in the franchise with that description, but after dabbling in action oriented aspects with a few other entries, this is the first one in my opinion where they actually went all in on the idea.

Drizzlehell

Banned
As others have said, Final Fantasy XVI is exactly this from what I've played of the demo. It's hard to associate a mainline entry in the franchise with that description, but after dabbling in action oriented aspects with a few other entries, this is the first one in my opinion where they actually went all in on the idea.
Damn, I wasn't planning on playing this just now but everyone keeps saying that it's basically an action game now and I'm tempted. Action-oriented combat system is one of the reasons why I liked FF7 Remake so much, so FF16 definitely sounds like my kind of thing.

Last edited:
Damn, I wasn't planning on playing this just now but everyone keeps saying that it's basically an action game now and I'm tempted. Action-oriented combat system is one of the reasons why I liked FF7 Remake so much, so FF16 definitely sounds like my kind of thing.
The demo transfers your saved data over to the full game, so definitely give it a shot. It's so action oriented, that you can supplement skilled gameplay(perfectly timed dodges, move management, etc), if you are fighting something that's a bit out of your league stat wise.

Top Bottom