• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are there any character action games like Devil May Cry or God of War, but with an arpg spin on them, similar to Diablo?

GymWolf

Darksiders 2 the topic.

That thing is more close to dmc than new god of war titles and has diablo loot.

If you like open world zelda with action combat and diablo loot that's your best chance.

Deathinitive edition should be dirty cheap by now.

Last edited:

Dr_Ifto

I would love more isometric games like Diablo but with different stories. So I would love a GoW one. Darksiders had one and it was good. One that has life after beating it like Diablo would have made that game better.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I would love more isometric games like Diablo but with different stories. So I would love a GoW one. Darksiders had one and it was good. One that has life after beating it like Diablo would have made that game better.
Darksiders Genesis was more like a twin stick shooter, though. If they leaned more towards an actual ARPG with that game then I think it would've been much better overall but such as it is, it was pretty boring and I never even finished it.

BbMajor7th

As others have said, Nioh 2 is a great shout. I like Nioh 1 a lot but Nioh 2 is more versatile - a min-maxers paradise with huge skill trees to unlock. The difficulty is front-loaded, in my opinion, (especially if you main something like Tonfas or Dual Swords) because you can become an absolute force of nature by the mid to late game. Really like the balance too, of going through a level, coming back to the home screen and just sitting for thirty minutes, going through all your gear, Soul Cores, and other loot, and refining your build before your next run.

ShadowLag

giphy.gif

K, I gotta try this. I was so wrong in my assumption, lol.

Do I need to play the first game for the story, or am I good just jumping right into this one?

Just go right into it, AFAIK the story stands alone (I never beat the game though)

Darksiders 2 the topic.

That thing is more close to dmc than new god of war titles and has diablo loot.

If you like open world zelda with action combat and diablo loot that's your best chance.

Deathinitive edition should be dirty cheap by now.
All the Darksiders are awesome games but I'm biased because I'm a huge fan of that franchise.

Drizzlehell

Banned
All the Darksiders are awesome games but I'm biased because I'm a huge fan of that franchise.
I love it too, and it's such a bummer that it's a franchise that struggles to find enough success to continue on any sort of consistent basis.

I wonder if we're ever gonna get that fourth mainline game with Strife. One that's not Genesis, that is.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
This is one of those questions where I feel like I should be able to give a few answers besides Darksiders 2 - but I can’t.

Looks like we need more character driven action games with loot.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Nioh 2 is just next level to Souls in terms of complexity and depth, especially on higher difficulty cycles.

If you only play through the campaign/side-missions on the base difficulty then I guess they are somewhat comparable, but by Way Of The Nioh (NG+4) everything from gear itemization and build-planning to combat are transformed.

Top Bottom