• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are there other games that've shot up to high prices for random reasons? (CubicNinja)

Toad.T

Banned
For those that have seen the topic that's consistently on the front page of gaming side, you may be wondering, surely 3DS homebrew/region unlocking can't be that demanded? Well, this is what shows up on Amazon.ca for 3DS titles:
qfEiVvQ.png

and Yahoo.com too:
phViXGA.png

Maybe try EBay? I mean, there must be some way to get the game for cheap, right? Yeah, no. The highest price for a complete NA copy is $169.72, while the lowest "Buy it now" price for a complete NA copy is $56.57. Remember that the game in question just a week prior was a bargain bin title that could be bought for as little as $7 on Best Buy's website. I've even seen people offer up games that normally go for $60 for this bad boy.

The thirst, undoubtedly, is real.

While looking at this whole situation though, a question struck my noggin: Have their ever been games that have shot up to high prices for random reasons? I'm not talking about games that have become more expensive over a long period of time due to the nostalgia of players, nor am I talking about games with a low print run that were sent out to die and are therefore immediately collectable (Shantae, Mega Man X3, Taito NES titles). No, I'm talking about games that just shot up in price for whatever reason. Be it because of an exploit, a meme or whatever have you.

I want to say that the first souls game was like this? The collector's edition at the very least.

Phantasy Star Online on the GameCube also surged in price when the exploit that allowed to run homebrew on it was discovered.

Phantasy Star Online on the GameCube also surged in price when the exploit that allowed to run homebrew on it was discovered.

Which is why I'm happy I got 3 copies of cubic ninja at $8 each today, and I should sell them now, not later :p

Obviously the Prime Collection, Earthbound. But whatabout shitty games? Is this the first highly valuable shitty game? hmm

NCAA Basketball 10 comes to mind. Price went up considerably, and still is very high, after they announced it would be the end of the series. Due to licensing agreements if I remember correctly.

Do retro games that surge in price when popular streamers play them or someone like Back in my play talks about them count here? In a way it corners into what the bold in the OP said.

Kendo Rage I think it was on the SNES tripled in value over less than year.

Another bad one was Metroid Prime Trilogy in Europe. As soon as the US discontinued news hit. Turns out the EU version got a few more print runs and all that happened is retailers didn't have to drop their prices. Tatsunoko vs. Capcom saw similar rises when Capcom was like "Tatsunoko license expired" (they had not produced any copies of that game in ages but some weird panic buying wake up call happened with that news).

To go with the hacking fee. In Europe most Wii games with a buffer overflow exploit. Not SSB for some reason and ToS DotNW was already a bit expensive.

Keio's Flying Squadron 2 for the Sega Saturn. Why? Because it was at the end of the Saturns life and not many were sold.

Lost out on one on eBay for £85... Damn it so angry!!!

I want that game so badly

I remember trying to speculate on IREM games for PS1/PS2 once they bit the dust, but no dice.

The original one I remember spiking like that was the OG Saturn last release trio (Panzer Dragoon Saga, Burning Rangers, Shining Force 3 part 1) in the US. They went for retail price on release back in 1998, and then Bernie Stolar spoke...and then, the games were instantly limited, and instantly went for $89 in those Funcoland printouts until they were gone.

Ogawa-san

Every PSP game that could lead to an exploit on Vita topped PSN download charts for a while. Watching 101-in-1 Megamix beating CoD Ghosts was fun.

LAA

Maybe not necessarily games, but when Nintendo have some sort if promotion for buying certain games, the games or at least club nintendo codes go up in price.

Kilvin

All three EBs in my city have the game in stock. Having an internal debate with myself whether I should scoop them up...

Top Bottom