• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are There Structures on the Moon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I'll just stick to the popular held beliefs on the internet.

- Atheism rules

- Be a liberal

- #420, #swag, #YOLO

This is one of the greatest posts I've ever read.

But seriously, did the artist mean to make the base a swastika?? Nazis on the moon sounds hella cool.

GavinGT

Banned
I'm not sure where you see photoshopping or structures in either of those pictures.

I think he's talking about the straight, wall-like features. My first guess would be fault lines. Also, you can see in 115 how it looks like two or three images have been stitched together. That's almost definitely from compositing multiple satellite photos together.

GavinGT

Banned
You dumb bastard! That's not a schooner, it's a sailboat

william.jpg

Raiden

Banned
Whats the point of structures on the moon anyway, all those holes on the surface arent exactly raindrops. Unless you have some AA to shoot everything that comes crashing down on the surface.

I think he's talking about the straight, wall-like features. My first guess would be fault lines. Also, you can see in 115 how it looks like two or three images have been stitched together. That's almost definitely from compositing multiple satellite photos together.

Those are too perfectly straight to be fault lines. I'm not saying that must mean they're man-made walls/structures, just that there's valid discussion to be had there.

Has it been mentioned that the moon expedition dropped of a mirror that anyone with proper equipment can bounce a laser off and thus prove that the mirror exist up there on the moon?

If the moon expedition was faked, how do you explain the countless of successful attempts to bounce a laser off that mirror on the moon?
I don't think I've ever seen moon conspirators address this particular point.

Don't know if this has been posted before:

http://planetarynames.wr.usgs.gov/Page/moon1to1mShadedRelief?map=lo

Click on 114. Looks like portions of the image were photoshopped.

115 has "structures" as well.

These images are at 1:1,000,000 scale, as they all say at the bottom of the image. Each pixel covers approximately 800 feet in a linear direction. This measurement was generated using Rheita Crater in picture 114. The crater is 70km wide, 300 pixels wide in image, 70km = 229,659 feet, 229,659 feet / 300 pixels = ~800 feet per pixel. If my math is wrong, please correct me.

Now, I'm going to make an example of this long, rectangular thing (clearly a photo stitching artifact) in image 115 and assume it is a structure (which it absolutely is not):

5HYEp.png

This "structure" is roughly 900 pixels long by 20 pixels wide. Converted into feet, the "structure" is 720,000 feet (136 miles) long and 16,000 feet (3 miles) wide. Just thought I would let you know.

If this is not one of the structures you are seeing, please point one of them out to me; I will measure it, and I will show you how ridiculously massive it is.

GavinGT

Banned
Look at the cratering on the surface of the "wall". It looks like it perfectly matches the cratering of the surrounding terrain.

I'm going to guess that's just a film artifact. If they had Photoshopped it out it would look more suspicious, so they probably decided to leave it in.

It's probably not easy to perfectly photograph the entirety of the moon, especially since there will be at least some eccentricity to the orbit.

Teknoman

390123_101684999951156_1291468011_n.jpg

jj6tnbuWOcHsW.jpg

Thought this was common knowledge. :p

In all seriousness, i'm willing to entertain the possibility of alot of things, but these guys need to bring more to the table than just blurry images and "that shape looks like something!".

I will say that one image would be something cool to see in a clear image though.

Slair

tehbible
Banned
(Today, 01:38 PM)

Welp, that happened.

Clearly it's a case of "the man" trying to cover all this up. He was about to present us with some pretty damning evidence. Luckily he got the picture to me before he got banned, the pic isnt that great, due to jpeg compression it's a little blocky:

DSC_0212.jpg

I can clearly make out some vehicles and a satelite structure, could be shadows though.

Teknoman

Clearly it's a case of "the man" trying to cover all this up. He was about to present us with some pretty damning evidence. Luckily he got the picture to me before he got banned, the pic isnt that great, due to jpeg compression it's a little blocky:

lol nice one.

GavinGT

Banned

He sent me some photographic evidence, too. However, after having it analyzed by a team of scientists, it was determined to be Lincoln Logs.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

DSC_0212.jpg

I can clearly make out some vehicles and a satelite structure, could be shadows though.

I have all of those old Lego sets. I see the Galaxy Explorer, and the Space Cruiser, and the.... :D

Slair

I have all of those old Lego sets. I see the Galaxy Explorer, and the Space Cruiser, and the.... :D

That is the best fucking lego set ever released, or well the one i used to go back to the most when i was a kid. Ahem, ofcourse that is assuming that is indeed a picture of lego, which i'm a bit skeptical of. I mean you cant just take the title of the jpegs word for it.

soqquatto

Don't know if this has been posted before:

http://planetarynames.wr.usgs.gov/Page/moon1to1mShadedRelief?map=lo

Click on 114. Looks like portions of the image were photoshopped.

115 has "structures" as well.

"looks photoshopped" because these images are made up of more images shot in different moments, so they look photoshopped because they're photoshopped.

if you want to make a synthetic image to look real, you can do without any "weird zones" especially if you're NASA. I can do it with photoshop cs6, I bet they're a bit more capable than the average guy on the internet.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
That is the best fucking lego set ever released, or well the one i used to go back to the most when i was a kid. Ahem, ofcourse that is assuming that is indeed a picture of lego, which i'm a bit skeptical of. I mean you cant just take the title of the jpegs word for it.

That's true. I mean it looks like Lego, but it could just be erector sets built up and disguised to look like Lego. I'd need to see more evidence to be convinced that it's truly Lego.

Maybe the government is lying to us about the hidden truths behind Lego...

DSC_0212.jpg

my inner child is full of jealous rage right now; I wanted that terrain for years ;_;

andycapps

True, plus how do we know that the JPEG wasn't tampered with? Also, who provides the rules for what a JPEG is? I mean, knowledge is constantly evolving.

blueICE

Banned
Next you're going to tell me cancer is a fungus and it can be cured with baking soda. They just don't want us to know that.

who is this they? actually whether cancer be a fungus or not, it can only thrive in an acidic environment. baking soda is alkalizing. so i guess if you flush the body of acids it helps.

Log4Girlz

tehbible, if you are lurking. As a human being you need to be "picky" about evidence...about what you are willing to accept as being likely vs. what is unlikely. A skeptic always wants evidence to support claims so that they can make informed judgments about reality. Entertaining any wild idea because they excite your imagination is foolhardy.

RIP tehbible

Amir0x

Banned
Damn I missed tehbible, was going to quote bomb his posts with detailed responses :(

I just want to say that the problem conspiracy theorists seem to have is an inability to realize the angle they're coming from. Conspiracy theorists love to call skeptics 'sheep' or people who just eat whatever they're told by the government, or that we're all so closed-minded that we'd never see the truth anyway.

The thing they don't understand is that I guarantee you any skeptic in this topic would believe in a moon base in a half second if there was hard evidence. If there was real hard evidence, I would not only believe it I would be jubilant! Because either some country on our planet has really advanced ahead of the rest of the world technologically and we missed it, or some alien made the base and we'd be witness to the most important discovery in human scientific history! Who wouldn't love that?

It's the same thing about aliens and stuff. Do I believe it is highly probable life exists out there in the universe? Yes. Intelligent life? Maybe even then, I'd say the odds might at least be 50-50. But, just because you think this, does not then mean you leap to believing aliens have visited Earth and the proof is thousands of blurry, out-of-focus photos and videos. These are extraordinary claims, it is proper we make sure we have hard evidence so we can begin analyzing what it means for humankind. Just arbitrary believing anything out there because it makes you feel good does nothing... because believing in that something is not actually going to make it exist, and there can be no proper scientific advancement from nothing.

It's a shame though that conspiracy theorists have become so over-the-top that i don't even like admitting I believe life is out there in the universe in public, because so many people jump to the conclusion that I have UFOs on my wall or something.

Stop tainting a legitimate viewpoint, UFO nuts! :(

The Earth being round has been common knowledge in academic circles for over 2000 years, and was widely known and believed by the uneducated in medieval times. The Earth being round was discovered by the sort of learned men you are currently mocking, and it was accepted because it had a solid mathematical proof behind it. If you had a solid proof of there being moon bases, people wouldn't be mocking. Your statement there is far more akin to people believing that the world is flat and that there is a scientific conspiracy to make people believe that it is round.

The sad thing is there ARE still people who believe the Earth is flat out there. They even have a group and shit :(

tehbible, if you are lurking. As a human being you need to be "picky" about evidence...about what you are willing to accept as being likely vs. what is unlikely. A skeptic always wants evidence to support claims so that they can make informed judgments about reality. Entertaining any wild idea because they excite your imagination is foolhardy.

RIP tehbible

Thumbs up, Log4Girlz.

GavinGT

Banned
who is this they? actually whether cancer be a fungus or not, it can only thrive in an acidic environment. baking soda is alkalizing. so i guess if you flush the body of acids it helps.

My Mom said:
"They" would be Big Pharma, of course. If word got out that such a readily available cure for cancer existed, their profits would plummet!

The above quote, from my dear old mother, is of course not to be taken seriously. Unfortunately, when gullible old people like her take to Google to research matters of health, they are greeted with countless links promoting natural cures. They don't know how to filter through the muck, they're not knowledgeable about complicated physiological matters, and they're often disillusioned with conventional medicine anyways. Consequently, they easily fall prey to pseudoscience.

In the case of cancer and baking soda, there is absolutely no research suggesting its efficacy as a cure. The main proponent of this treatment is an Italian physician whose license was revoked on account of wrongful death and making misleading claims.

There are trustworthy sources out there who have spoken to the issue, but unfortunately they're far outnumbered by sites proclaiming this to be a miracle cure. Of course, nearly all these miracle cure sites are trying to sell you something. So, the same people that turned away from conventional medicine because they see it as a money-grabbing scheme then fall for a far more transparent scheme under the guise of being a natural cure.

Here are some links that address the subject from factual standpoints:

https://www.caring4cancer.com/go/cancer/nutrition/questions/acid-balance-in-the-body-and-cancer.htm

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/DSH/coral2.html

http://preventcancer.aicr.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=13441

I should add that this issue hits very close to home for me. My mother is getting pretty old, and she's persuaded by every single field of quackery imaginable. She has total faith in psychics, chiropractors, healing crystals, magnetic bracelets, astrology, reflexology, homeopathy, and just about any other silly thing imaginable. She does at least eat well, but I worry that she'll die prematurely if she continues to refuse to embrace actual forms of treatment.

My poor uncle has throat cancer. He can barely talk. She of course has him guzzling baking soda and vinegar by the truckload.

maharg

idspispopd
The above quote, from my dear old mother, is of course not to be taken seriously. Unfortunately, when gullible old people like her take to Google to research matters of health, they are greeted with countless links promoting natural cures. They don't know how to filter through the muck, they're not knowledgeable about complicated physiological matters, and they're often disillusioned with conventional medicine anyways. Consequently, they easily fall prey to pseudoscience.

In the case of cancer and baking soda, there is absolutely no research suggesting its efficacy as a cure. The main proponent of this treatment is an Italian physician whose license was revoked on account of wrongful death and making misleading claims.

There are trustworthy sources out there who have spoken to the issue, but unfortunately they're far outnumbered by sites proclaiming this to be a miracle cure. Of course, nearly all these miracle cure sites are trying to sell you something. So, the same people that turned away from conventional medicine because they see it as a money-grabbing scheme then fall for a far more transparent scheme under the guise of being a natural cure.

Here are some links that address the subject from factual standpoints:

https://www.caring4cancer.com/go/cancer/nutrition/questions/acid-balance-in-the-body-and-cancer.htm

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/DSH/coral2.html

http://preventcancer.aicr.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=13441

I should add that this issue hits very close to home for me. My mother is getting pretty old, and she's persuaded by every single field of quackery imaginable. She has total faith in psychics, chiropractors, healing crystals, magnetic bracelets, astrology, reflexology, homeopathy, and just about any other silly thing imaginable. She does at least eat well, but I worry that she'll die prematurely if she continues to refuse to embrace actual forms of treatment.

My father, a lifelong lover of buddhism and various other spiritual things, tried all sorts of alternative medicine things after he was diagnosed with small cell lung cancer. But at the same time he still did all the conventional medicine stuff. None of it worked in the end, but I was very glad he didn't just ignore real science.

GavinGT

Banned
My father, a lifelong lover of buddhism and various other spiritual things, tried all sorts of alternative medicine things after he was diagnosed with small cell lung cancer. But at the same time he still did all the conventional medicine stuff. None of it worked in the end, but I was very glad he didn't just ignore real science.

It would be great if she were open to both forms of treatment. She would get the tangible benefits from the conventional medicine and the placebo effects from her alternative cures. Unfortunately, she thinks medical doctors are out to poison us.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
They added Iron Sky to the Netflix streaming. So in honor of the crazy ass OP, I say we all watch it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom