• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are Ubisoft the new top dogs when it comes to open world graphics?

Skyzard

Banned
http://a.pomf.se/xusgfj.webm

For me they've turned Far Cry as I last knew it (3) into something amazing just by the graphics. It was a big part of Crysis 1, it was a great place to explore, and this game reminds me a little of it so far too.

http://a.pomf.se/evivad.webm

http://a.pomf.se/aiiwvj.webm

http://a.pomf.se/kzmbzm.webm

http://a.pomf.se/vebzuz.webm

AC:U has the most incredible lighting and. Yes, for some people it's given the face. But for those of us that have it running smoothly, it's an amazing game to see and play. It bring you closer to feeling like you're really running on the rooftops or having a sword fight in Paris during the revolution. The third person view doesn't break the immersion like it usually does. It has its quirks, but they're damn worth it if it meant no game. Of course everyone wants it more polished, some of the bugs are insane for some people. But that's not what this is about.

http://a.pomf.se/jfvbdr.webm

The interiors take it to the next level too. Something to do with the physical based rendering that makes it look like a moving painting.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=933547 Has quite a few nice shots and the whole thread is about how AC:U is a graphical leap.

I hope they've manage to leave a similar impression on next-gen folks too otherwise it's a damn shame, do they?

Graphics can have a huge impact on immersion and enjoyment in the game. These latest games from Ubi (and watch dogs to a lesser extent, when modded) raise the bar for me considerably.

I know there are games in other genres which also look damn good in motion like drive club and Infamous's effects. I'm almost worried for GTAV on PC, even though the PS4/X1 versions do look very good. That's how much Ubisoft impressed me in that respect.

AC:U is overall more impressive in terms of detail and indoor lighting. FC4 is not shabby at all and the environment outside is almost real.

Anyway, I look forward to the future and hope we see more games with these kind of insane levels of detail and beauty as the gen carries on.

[Also since it's a graphics thread, it's not a bad time to remind people about the joys of webm. Get the webm for neogaf plugin for chrome or firefox so it embeds them. Click to play, muted by default. Much better quality than gifs and the plugin makes them more convenient].

It's a work of art

q6uvoj70kzf3uhlmclap.jpg

But swriously farcry 4 is seriously impressive and tge ambition for unity is second to none just having rushed out dented the fidelity of their graphics

maneil99

Anyone can make a good looking game if it runs @ 20fps. GTA V is a cross gen port and outdoes WD. Far Cry, AC and WD are all dead worlds. Lifeless Ai, TONS of pop in. Collect a thons

Skyzard

Banned
I knew the faces would be mentioned, which is why I put the link in the OP.

That picture is now a comment on it being rushed though.

The bugs are something that should be shown off to make sure companies release things that are less buggy.

But if you told me they spent 4 years making AC:U I would have believed you, there's a lot of quality in the game despite it not having the polish it should.

They just need to polish the games better so there is not graphical bugs and frame rate issues. That would make me happy because I'm a big fan of Far Cry 4 and AC Unity.

jelly

Don't think they have enough subtlety, attention to detail, uniqueness to take the crown. Worlds can look very nice but ultimately a bit shallow.

Ophelion

Hard to unseat Rockstar and Bethesda I would think. Also, I'm not willing to crown anybody the new sandbox king until I've played MGS V. Never underestimate Kojima.

tbm24

Don't think they have enough subtlety, attention to detail, uniqueness to take the crown. Worlds can look very nice but ultimately a bit shallow.

This does not apply to Unity. I have yet to play Far Cry 4, but Unity does not lack attention to detail throughout its world.

Skyzard

Banned
Maybe on PC. They've been outclassed completely on both consoles.

They went through all that effort just for PC folk? Can't be.

No doubt GTA V is going to be polished. But does it blow past expectations or just meet them.

I hope Ubisoft hasn't spoiled me graphically too early, I've been waiting (and still am) a while for 5.

EGM1966

Maybe on PC. They've been outclassed completely on both consoles.
Yup agreed. Even PC it's not well optimized. Any decent developer can throw in advanced effects of they rely on pure horsepower to save the day.

The king of open world games should be the developer who can do so with highly optimized code and right now that ain't Ubi.

Actually if probably argue modders on PC are the kings of this kind of stuff (admittedly building on someone else's engine).

Muffdraul

Ubisoft are shitfuckers and they totally deserve the backlash they're getting right now. But it's a goddamn shame that AC Unity is a casualty of that. I played it on PS4 and based on my own personal experience with it, the complaints are ridiculously hyperbolic to the point where I have to wonder how honest they were. I spent about 30 hours on it, and I never experienced what I would call a game breaking glitch. Pop in and NPCs changing appearance was only noticeable when I remembered to go out of my way to look for it. There were a few occasions where NPCs were fucked up, stuck in geometry, floating along down the street instead of walking, stubbornly trying to walk through solid objects. I think there were two instances where my controls stopped functioning during combat. It definitely has too many bugs for a "final release" piece of software. So did AC3. Ubisoft suck for that and I hope they've learned a lesson. But despite the bugs, I had a great time playing Unity. In the future I expect lots and lots of "I picked up Unity super cheap yesterday, and holy fucking shit it's amazing. I thought it was supposed to be a broken piece of dogshit. I'm loving it! So much better than people said." posts.

And I do think it has some pretty fucking amazing graphics. The world is bursting at the seams with random interiors, and everytime I go inside one I'm amazed at the visual effects of sunlight blooming in through windows and doorways. Never seen anything like it in a game.

The only Far Cry I ever played was the first. Only in the last few months have I been even slightly tempted to check out FC3.

Corine

Yeah the PC version of Unity is the best open world graphics I've seen on any system. Well for a game not modded that is. Probably won't be for long though with Witcher 3 and the Division coming.

I think they have, the 1:1 scale really makes an enormous difference for immersion in something like Unity. Walking down those wide streets and seeing the density of all the hustle and bustle going on around you is a helluva feeling, I just wish it didn't run so poorly. I hope more devs try to achieve similar levels of scale going forwards, obviously optimizing well too. Rewatching a Witcher 3 gameplay demo of going into a city after having come off Unity was like looking at a completely different gen in terms of scope. When GTA V released last year I thought that was a new standard for density and detail in open world, playing the new version just didn't do it for me as much. It's still a remarkably handcrafted experience and certainly a lot more unique than Ubi's lego-ish environment design, but that scale difference alone creates a pretty wide gap in my eyes. Can't wait to see what R* does with the new hardware for the next proper release (be it RDR, GTA etc).

Skyzard

Banned
^ That's what I'm worried about... I hope they're working on that, PC version still has a while :/

on PC for sure, but console footage doesnt look too hot whenever i see it.

Of Far Cry?

Ubisoft are shitfuckers and they totally deserve the backlash they're getting right now. But it's a goddamn shame that AC Unity is a casualty of that. I played it on PS4 and based on my own personal experience with it, the complaints are ridiculously hyperbolic to the point where I have to wonder how honest they were. I spent about 30 hours on it, and I never experienced what I would call a game breaking glitch. Pop in and NPCs changing appearance was only noticeable when I remembered to go out of my way to look for it. There were a few occasions where NPCs were fucked up, stuck in geometry, floating along down the street instead of walking, stubbornly trying to walk through solid objects. I think there were two instances where my controls stopped functioning during combat. It definitely has too many bugs for a "final release" piece of software. So did AC3. Ubisoft suck for that and I hope they've learned a lesson. But despite the bugs, I had a great time playing Unity. In the future I expect lots and lots of "I picked up Unity super cheap yesterday, and holy fucking shit it's amazing. I thought it was supposed to be a broken piece of dogshit. I'm loving it! So much better than people said." posts.

And I do think it has some pretty fucking amazing graphics. The world is bursting at the seams with random interiors, and everytime I go inside one I'm amazed at the visual effects of sunlight coming in through windows and doorways. Never seen anything like it in a game.

Agreed but I want to give credit where it's due otherwise next time I worry we're going to be missing it, why go through the hassle. The review scores were so brutal for the bugs.
This is the game they chose to make an example of?

impact

Banned
They went through all that effort just for PC folk? Can't be.

No doubt GTA V is going to be polished. But does it blow past expectations or just meet them.

I hope Ubisoft hasn't spoiled me graphically too early, I've been waiting (and still am) a while for 5.

If you don't believe me go play ACP or Watch Dogs on PS4. They look like blurry shit, and esp. in AC's case you can't even see any of the fine detail they've done to textures and assets because of terrible resolution and AA issues. Then on top of all that the game runs at 10-20fps so the controls don't even work.

It's cool that their games look insanely good on SLI 980s though. I'm probably never even gonna have one 980 :|

I haven't played FC4 yet so nothing I said applies to that*

elelunicy

Yeah the PC version of Unity is the best open world graphics I've seen on any system. Well for a game not modded that is. Probably won't be for long though with Witcher 3 and the Division coming.

What modded game looks better?
Please don't tell me it's Skyrim.

Muffdraul

Of Far Cry?

Agreed but I want to give credit where it's due otherwise next time I worry we're going to be missing it, why go through the hassle. The review scores were so brutal for the bugs.
This is the game they chose to make an example of?

Actually, when I read through the reviews, it seemed like most of them criticized the game for subjective reasons, and then they'd mention the technical issues only in passing. Basically saying "It has some bugs, but the real problem is the shitty story and characters." Which is fair enough.

ugoo18

And I do think it has some pretty fucking amazing graphics. The world is bursting at the seams with random interiors, and everytime I go inside one I'm amazed at the visual effects of sunlight blooming in through windows and doorways. Never seen anything like it in a game.

The only Far Cry I ever played was the first. Only in the last few months have I been even slightly tempted to check out FC3.

Can't agree with that, ACU has had more bugs for me than Revelations, AC3 and ACIV combined. An that's only after me playing for 1 to 2 hours in ACU vs me completing Revelations and AC3 as well as playing a few hours of ACIV. Visually ACU is beautiful for sure but bug wise my experience with it has been bad enough for me to put it on the back burner till Ubisoft works out its issues.

Votron

Anyone can make a good looking game if it runs @ 20fps. GTA V is a cross gen port and outdoes WD. Far Cry, AC and WD are all dead worlds. Lifeless Ai, TONS of pop in. Collect a thons

you can say thesame with just about every other open world games out there (yes GTA V included) ..

Muffdraul

Can't agree with that, ACU has had more bugs for me than Revelations, AC3 and ACIV combined. An that's only after me playing for 1 to 2 hours in ACU vs me completing Revelations and AC3 as well as playing a few hours of ACIV. Visually ACU is beautiful for sure but bug wise my experience with it has been bad enough for me to put it on the back burner till Ubisoft works out its issues.

I had a waaaaay worse time with AC3 bug wise. I wonder what makes me so lucky?

On PC I'd say definitely for AC:U alone even. Some of the stuff in that game is insane to look at, there's a lot going on in it and it's very impressive

Agreed. On the consoles Infamous:SS and GTA V have better graphics/animation/sound.

GTA V on current gen has good IQ I'll give it that, but it still looks like a cross gen game with next gen enhancements. Unity on the hand looks far better, the detail in the landmarks and interiors coupled with the lighting looks amazing, even on consoles.

The slight blur is a bit of an eyesore though

Open worlds aren't based on graphic. They are based on breadth and depth of interaction. None of which are within Ubisoft skillsets.

Even Far Cry 2 has more advanced aspects than FC4, and in FC4 the simulation is really, really thin.

"Theme park" and "open world" aren't exactly the same thing. In Ubisoft games there's very little "world" and a lot of self-contained gimmicks that compose the attractions of the theme park.

When things actually interact, they break. Just having a big map doesn't mean that it's "open world".

Top Bottom