• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are Ubisoft the new top dogs when it comes to open world graphics?

diaspora

because they've changed their stance on this in the last 13 years?

/boggle

What? Update 1.0.7.0 for GTA4 was like they went out of their way to castrate modders, unless you're trying to tell me the best way to run mods on GTA4 PC is without downgrading to 1.0.4.0 first?

/boggle

Yikes.

I would play it actually, but you know how Rockstar has this 2 month delay on the PC port? That stupid thing Ubisoft used to do but knows better not to? Yeah, that. I guess it's my fault though, I don't have eyes in a graphics thread to see or money to spend on games which are artificially delayed.

Yikes! nice assumption that it was artificially delayed, are they lazy devs? do they hate PC?

dex3108

It wont be, impossible and even if the base game is, with mods it will outdo anything UBI is capable of in an open world.

Unity looks impressive but it won't come close to GTA V.

Well in some aspects GTA V can't come close to ACU even on PC. Lightning (combination of static/pre baked GI and dynamic lights and other techniques) and PBS in ACU will be way better than in GTA V. Also if R* don't introduce some kind of AO in PC version that would damage visuals even more.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
What? Update 1.0.7.0 for GTA4 was like they went out of their way to castrate modders, unless you're trying to tell me the best way to run mods on GTA4 PC is without downgrading to 1.0.4.0 first?

/boggle

wut? 1.0.7.0 mods just fine now. Every GTA patch usually kills the mods. They don't go out of their way, they just will fix the game regardless of what it does to the mod community.

tl;dr they've never stopped mods (your contention). They've just never gone out of there way with a patch to keep them working. That's a far cry from being "anti-mods".

padlock

Unity is the best looking game I've ever seen. At least on a good PC. It also runs fine for me (GTX 970, and 2500k) maxed out.

I have a PS4 and owned Infamous SS. It looks good, but it's not close to being in the same league as Unity as far as graphics go.

Jtrizzy

AC Unity is the graphics king for me at the moment, open world or not. It's running fine for me (970/2600k@4.4) but not perfect. Haven't started FC4 up yet, but I must say GTA V on PS4 isn't impressing me all that much. The cars are aliased as fuck, and they are super low poly models. Overall it's fine, but it isn't blowing me away like Unity is.

Unity is the best looking game I've ever seen. At least on a good PC. It also runs fine for me (GTX 970, and 2500k) maxed out.

I have a PS4 and owned Infamous SS. It looks good, but it's not close to being in the same league as Unity as far as graphics go.

False.

Unity looks amazing, but so does Infamous.

I haven't fired up GTA V yet, but I suspect that will have its moments as well.

Setsuna

Wait a minute are people saying Gta4 on Ps4 looks better than Unity on PC

Or are we comparing the non existent PC version to Unity

Wait a minute are people saying Gta4 on Ps4 looks better than Unity on PC

Or are we comparing the non existent PC version to Unity

From what I've seen of GTAV so far, it doesn't hold a candle to Unity's lighitng and physical based rendering. It looks great, but I haven't really gone "wow" at any of the screenshots so far. I'd put Infamous: SS over GTAV, but I get the impression that Infamous is much smaller in scope.

I still look forward to playing GTAV on PC. I expect it will at least run better than Unity and have better looking NPCs.

Is there a game that does what you're describing because almost every one I can think of doesn't really create a world like a Godly developer, just random scripted events.

Like what game has what it's missing?

I knew what you meant initially but I couldn't think of examples outside of very special cases like Shenmue, which were limited by how you could interact.

It's kinda unfair to expect them to create whole lives for individual NPCs when most can die. Sure you can ask for more variety and more randomization, more scripts...but I don't think that's what you're asking...

It's not about NPCs. It's interaction with everything, on top of the interaction between elements that are not "you".

For example one problem of FC4 as a world is that nothing outside your bubble is simulated. The game simply picks a location nearby, and sets off a script. You move away, that scene ceases to exist.

You kill people, walk slightly off, return: all the bodies are gone.

The elements of the game are entirely self-contained. You cannot set off events that snowball and produce significant consequences SOMEWHERE ELSE. That's a true "world".

If you see a car, shoot at it and blow it up, nothing else happens somewhere else. That car was transporting nothing. Those NPCs where getting nowhere. The car spawned from nothing and returned to nothing. So, this is an element that is not connect to any other: so it's not a system and it's not complex. The only link is thee player, and the player is not a "world".

A game that does some of this? Dwarf Fortress.

Or PvP MMORPGs.

/boggle

Wrong. GTA 4 1.0.7.0 updated certain shaders and shadow systems, which broke ENB series. Because the main guy behind it didn't bother fixing it for 1.0.7.0, it went unfixed until recently. Just because an update to a game stops a single mod from working doesn't mean it's broken on purpose.

Also, as for the topic, Ubisoft's world designs are nowhere near the detail and appeal of Rockstar's open worlds. They'll never be the top dogs as long as we keep getting GTA games.

turcy

Gotta manage graphics vs performance and minimize glitches to be "top dog".

nailed it.

need to be able to pull it off with acceptable performance - and Ubisoft has proven they can't do that.

FC4 seems to be pretty good in that department, but it's also not quite so much of a looker as ACU.

shandy706

AC Unity is the graphics king for me at the moment, open world or not. It's running fine for me (970/2600k@4.4) but not perfect. Haven't started FC4 up yet, but I must say GTA V on PS4 isn't impressing me all that much. The cars are aliased as fuck, and they are super low poly models. Overall it's fine, but it isn't blowing me away like Unity is.

How do the cars in Unity look?

Nibel

I don't see Far Cry 4 being the most impressive open-world on on both consoles or PC; you can see its 'last-gen roots' here and there. Assassin's Creed Unity on PC with maxed out settings looks phenomenal and might be the winner.

That being said, I think there are other open-world games that look better than both on consoles.

The new king of open-world visuals will be GTAV PC with mods though. Well, at least until The Division releases and we have this discussion again.

GTAV looks amazing at times but I don't think its all that consistent. Far Cry 4 looks pretty fantastic, even nicer than Second Son to me.

elCroux

Banned
Rockstar by a mile.

They're all ABSOLUTE shit compared to the open world in Namco's Go Vacation for the Wii though.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
It wont be, impossible and even if the base game is, with mods it will outdo anything UBI is capable of in an open world.

Yeah but that's mods. Not really a fair comparison If people cared enough to mod AC to the same level then it would also be very impressive.

SZips

Ubisoft excels at some visual aspects of open world titles. They've certainly pushed a lot of great looking effects into Unity, though it has come at a cost that many may not feel is worth it.

On the flip side of the coin, you have games like Grand Theft Auto V that I would say feature "better" worlds than anything Ubisoft has put out and it's for one very specific reason: Details.

There are usually more smaller details in a Rockstar open world title that make the game world feel far more alive and "believable" than anything Ubisoft has released. There is more interaction with the environment that feels meaningful in small ways. Rockstar's worlds may not push graphical boundaries in the traditional sense of the word, but when you factor in the little things and little touches that they add, I feel as though it's no contest when compared to Ubisoft titles.

RedSwirl

Right now we're just seeing the beginning of what's really possible with open-world games on modern hardware. Future games will probably match or outclass Unity. Witcher 3 and/or Arkham Knight might accomplish this.

Unity and Far Cry 4 are the best looking open world games by far on PS4 in my opinion.

Second Son has pretty damn amazing effects for the powers but the city architecture is mostly flat and the city itself outside of enemies is mostly lifeless. What it does well it accels at but both Unity and Far Cry 4 are better in my opinion. Especially Far Cry 4. Unity has so many technical issues it impacts the overall presentation.

As a package Far Cry 4 is the best looking console game in my opinion.

AC Unity is pretty breathtaking on PC, shame it's so broken. I'm going to wait until I see GTA5 running on high-end PCs before I make a proper judgement though.

FLAguy954

I'd argue GTAV looks better and performs better than most Ubisoft games.

Lmao worst second post I've seen in a while. Hell, Metro LL Redux looks better than GTA V and that game looks comparatively worse than Unity by far. Does GTA V even have anything higher than standard issue SSAO?

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
GTAV is no slouch but. I'd go with yes. It's not just the environments that look good in Unity and Far Cry but the character models, and also specifically the facial animation/hair simulation in Unity are the best of the best when it comes to open world games right now. And when you factor in the world density, I legitimately cannot think of a more dense open world city right now especially with interiors that look this detailed.

imHuIb1uShm97.jpg

15804715412_53d4702800_o.jpg

ZuI8MJl.jpg

assassin's%20creed%20unity%20pc%20ps4%20xbox%20one%2010.jpg

I'm still dumbfounded by how good the facial animation is in the cutscenes look even though they're realtime. Especially right after AC4 and Rogue. I wonder if they completely ditched that mocam tech from AC3/4/R.

tumblr_nf5pguOTB11u3rswqo3_400.gif

tumblr_nf73j62jc01rpd9dfo1_500.gif

Whatever they did they need to keep doing it.

And special mention, Elise's hair. Seriously, like GTAV and Far Cry 4's grass, I can't get over how good this hair looks. Definitely a new benchmark for hair rendering in games.

assassin's%20creed%20unity%20pc%20ps4%20xbox%20one%203.png

assassin's%20creed%20unity%20pc%20ps4%20xbox%20one%209.png

Chiggs

I think they could be, but I've always found Rockstar's worlds to be far more interesting. Also, Ubisoft game play can be quite stale.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Anyone can make a good looking game if it runs @ 20fps. GTA V is a cross gen port and outdoes WD. Far Cry, AC and WD are all dead worlds. Lifeless Ai, TONS of pop in. Collect a thons

Ironic because your first sentence applies to the last-gen GTAV. Shouldn't we judge GTAV for what it originally was? I'm sure Ubi can hypothetically port AC:U to the upcoming PS5 and have it run much better.

cormack12

Gold Member
Surely the base comparison here should be Watchdogs (PS4/XBO) versus Los Santos (PS4/XBO). Rockstar won't have their next-gen only title out for a while and it's still a few months before GTA V hits PC.

Anyone got any screens of both of similar scenes (excluding using 'focus' mode from the snapomatic)- from memory I think the aliasing on roads and vehicles might be slightly less in WatchDogs, but everything looks a little 'flat'. Also, Chicago is boring and feels sterile.

The buildings look really, really good, but the animations look unchanged. It doesn't look as good in motion, to be honest.

Same with most games, looks fantastic at certain angles but falls apart other times. here's another similar shot as above but the walls on the left completely break the whole image
8517614178_77a8fdf217_o.jpg

GTAV is no slouch but. I'd go with yes. It's not just the environments that look good in Unity and Far Cry but the character models, and also specifically the facial animation/hair simulation in Unity are the best of the best when it comes to open world games right now. And when you factor in the world density, I legitimately cannot think of a more dense open world city right now especially with interiors that look this detailed.

15804715412_53d4702800_o.jpg

ZuI8MJl.jpg

Yeah the fact that this is from an open world game with such detail is pretty crazy

shandy706

The detail is insane in those shots.

The lighting/reflections (especially the floor) in this shot are so wrong though. It ruins that one shot/area instantly for me.

Similar to Infamous:SS's offset reflections...I notice something is wrong right away.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Unity doesn't even look good on the consoles and I get sad every time someone posts a screen from that hot blurry mess.

The PC port looks good but you need a super computer to run it downsampled.

Skyzard

Banned
Gormenghast, I know what you mean but that's arguable that it's as necessary for all open world genres. There are open world racing games. I know far cry 4 could do with more interactions and consequences, although I'm only at the beginning after exploring so much. Any more recent examples btw of something more fleshed out like that? It's a lot to ask for from a shooter imo but of course that sounds fantastic. I know Skyrim has a few elements but it is RPG in nature. Maybe Dragon Age I will?

not sure if they're top dogs, but they're ones to watch

There will be many cries from angry gamers, if their next game scales back too far.

I don't know but FC4 on PS4 on my big screen at home looks amazing.

Good good!

False.

Unity looks amazing, but so does Infamous.

I haven't fired up GTA V yet, but I suspect that will have its moments as well.

Question.

Infamous has stunning effects but the detail and lighting of the rest of the game, while very nice and clean, doesn't seem on par to me, have you gone back to it recently?

nailed it.

need to be able to pull it off with acceptable performance - and Ubisoft has proven they can't do that.

FC4 seems to be pretty good in that department, but it's also not quite so much of a looker as ACU.

Crytek never needed that on PC after Crysis 1 though.

Murtrod

Other than the fact that the engine isn't functioning properly right now, I am extremely impressed with what they have done. The lighting in Unity is top tier.

Nabbis

Graphically, aside from Lod and pop-in issues, Unity craps all over most corridor games. Im sorry but GTA V is not even close, i doubt mods can improve it to that level.

Skyzard

Banned
Graphically, aside from Lod and pop-in issues, Unity craps all over most corridor games. Im sorry but GTA V is not even close, i doubt mods can improve it to that level.

It's true tbh, makes it even more impressive.
I heard Metro was really pretty but haven't played it yet.

Getting real worried about GTA V on pc. Come on Rockstar, impress us...

Warablo

AC: Unity is really beautiful especially in the interiors, but I still think GTA looks better than Watch Dogs.

Far Cry always looks great to me, especially because there is not many games like it..

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!

I think you're being way too optimistic if you think that vanilla GTAV will suddenly look better than a fully next gen game on pc. And that modding argument goes both ways, ACU can be modded as well. The beards and hair won't suddenly have individual strands like in Unity.

Qassim

Unity will be difficult to beat in the near term. It has the advantage of having a setting that permits a really appealing art style coupled with great tech. It's an immensely impressive game graphically.

I don't think GTAV has a chance at coming close to beating it, even on PC. Mods may produce some striking results in isolation, but I haven't seen any GTAIV mods that produced a full, cohesive package that looked good.

The detail and lighting in Unity is extraordinary, especially in interiors, this room in Palais Du Luxembourg is an absolute treat to look at

iX10oxEBekFSd.jpg

It looks amazing even on PS4

Top Bottom