• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you strong enough to stop supporting a company that acts AGAINST customers?

Absolutely, I boycott games often. Next game I'll boycott is Diablo 3.

I never buy games with restrictive DRM again, after a root kit crippled a DVD drive and got constant BSODs
until I reinstalled Windows, and had to call phone support because I needed another activation.
Same thing with digital services that encrypt saves or block/ban access.

I buy few new games though. GOG, Steam sales and F2P games keep me happy so far.

Astery

I can say yes for myself, but seeing all the 'boycotts' out there I am sure it doesn't matter anyway for anyone. COD boycott jpg. Suckers will still be suckers even while they keep bitching about it.

JDSN

Banned
I dont support not care about the products of companies that act like the shit I bought its theirs, all the viral marketers in the board can call me entitled if they want to.

Riposte

I have the "strength" to not care (also could be said "the strength to not be resentful"). I'm in for the game mechanics and don't give a shit about the petty "power struggles" over toy prices and distribution. If something doesn't reach my expectations of value, I don't buy it and move on.

Tilian

Banned
I'm fairly strong-willed when it comes to these sorts of things. For example, after the glitch-fest of Fallout (PS3), I haven't touched another Bethesda product including Skyrim. I have never been angrier this gen than with that piece of trash.

Sojgat

Not if it's a game I really want. I buy less stuff from Capcom and EA now, but I know I will be getting RE6 and I usually wait for the Gold/Goty versions of games. I just try to stay informed and minimize the impact all their bullshit has on me.

Crub

I won't pass on a game I want to play simply because I dislike a developer or publisher. Instead I wait for the price to drop considerably or in some cases buy the game used.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I still play their games, but I buy them used.

But yeah, it's not so hard to do, and some are easier than others. Like I could give a rat's ass if Bethesda went under.

I think it is HILARIOUS that salsashark is impassioned enough to write this thread about videogames; but there are companies on the planet that do much worse (detroy ecologies/skew the environemnt/take advantage of the poor) but VIDEOGAMES!!!

I'd like to see a thread in the OT that truly showcases the corporations you shouldn't support in any way shape or form.

Eusis

You mean the company that doesn't do online passes and on disc dlc?
They pulled plenty of crap this generation, but by far and large they simply aren't as hostile to consumers as companies like EA are. And frankly, that's making me warm up a bit more to them, though I likely won't be seriously anticipating non-Blizzard games of theirs.

Nope.

Good games >>>> everything else for me. You can be damn sure I'll drop everything for Resident Evil 6 and Dragon's Dogma once those two drop. Gotta have my Capcom fix.

Eusis

It also tends to be that most of the games I want DON'T come from companies pulling these bullshit practices (or I discover them several years past relevancy, whichever). Hell, Bioware was the biggest weakpoint for me when it came to EA acquisitions, and they seem to now be gravitating away from being a developer I like, so it'll probably be easy in the future to ignore their output. Especially when their name is slapped on half the studios EA owns.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I think it is HILARIOUS that salsashark is impassioned enough to write this thread about videogames; but there are companies on the planet that do much worse (detroy ecologies/skew the environemnt/take advantage of the poor) but VIDEOGAMES!!!

I'd like to see a thread in the OT that truly showcases the corporations you shouldn't support in any way shape or form.

Well, this is a gaming message board right? And who is to say he isn't as passionate against all of the airlines, banks, cell phone giants, natural gas companies, etc that are out to screw people?

krishian

Yeah, I haven't bought an EA game in ages. Not that hard as FIFA is pretty much their only franchise I have any kind of real interest in. Plenty of other stuff to play.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I don't think I've bought any EA games with an online service this gen sans one Tiger Woods game I never planned to play online. Even though it will most likely be at least 3-4 YEARS, I feel pressured to get ME3 before the multiplayer servers are shut down. I don't like feeling pressured. If online multiplayer is a feature, you need to keep it running. The number of people playing will probably dwindle down so low the costs will be minimal to run them.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Well, this is a gaming message board right? And who is to say he isn't as passionate against all of the airlines, banks, cell phone giants, natural gas companies, etc that are out to screw people?
Yeah exactly. I've been boycotting BP, BoA and AT&T for years because I think they're assholes.
EDITS: Whoops DP.

Nome

Usually a company I don't like implores practices or ideas into their games that I don't like, either.

I have not played a single game from EA or Activision since 2008. I think I'm doing good. The last EA game I really played was Dead Space, which bored me so much I never finished it.

Annnnd this is why multiplayer is being forced into everything. Or at least part of the reason :p

Man, that's super easy for me. I get to save money and avoid the headaches from supporting their consumer-punishing software.
I stopped buying any EA games after my "free" DLC screwed up and locked out my saved game on Dragon Age for the 5th or 6th time about a year and a half ago.
Do I feel like I've missed out? Absolutely not. I've been able to spend what free time I do have on games that are much more low maintenance.

These arrogant game companies are going to get whats coming to them. Here's a message to you: I don't need to play your games... there's all kinds of other things in this world to do and spend money on. If I had to guess, I think a lot of other folks feel the same way.

Spat_triate

Usually a company I don't like implores practices or ideas into their games that I don't like, either.

I have not played a single game from EA or Activision since 2008. I think I'm doing good. The last EA game I really played was Dead Space, which bored me so much I never finished it.

Same here. I bought Fifa 12 (PC ver) because all my friends were raving about it, but their Origin service is such a shitfest that i just ended up unistalling it after a week. $60 down the drain. I was a huge Battlefield fan, but I will never buy another battlefield game as long as it's exclusively on Origin. I haven't supported Activision since COD4. I rented MW2 but returned it before the time was even up.

If I want to play games from shitty companies like EA, I'll get them super cheap and used, without exception. If I can't buy them that way, I won't play them at all.

Fuck you, EA.

Rikkun

No, but I avoid games from companies I now hate (Konami).

One day I'll be able to stop buying Fifa at dayone, not now. And EA is THE WORST, game is full of bugs they never patch and carry onto the next title. Fuckers.

hirokazu

I've stopped buying Bethesda games, period since my main gaming platform is PS3 and they can't seem to make PS3 games that aren't broken.

I've stopped buying Capcom games until they're bargain priced at £10-£20 AND it's been out sufficiently long enough that I know they won't release a slightly different version for no reason but to make you buy the game again.

VashTS

I'm not strong enough.

"Oh gamers aren't buying our awesome game that they've been asking for? I guess they don't like it and we won't make anymore." -If you fight against bad business practices with solely your wallet.

I haven't bought a Sony product since before the PS3 came out. I don't like the way they treat their customers. I keep thinking maybe they'll improve and I'll be able to buy from them again, but every decision I've heard from them has only hardened my resolve.

There's a few games I've been missing, and not getting Last Guardian will hurt, but I'll play them eventually. My backlog's huge anyway.

I still buy music from artists under their label, though, and I hate myself every time. And now they're buying EMI. Fuck me.

Yes, as an adult I've learned self control, and don't feel the need to support companies who try to exploit me, then insult my intelligence by telling me how much they're not exploiting me. There is an over abundance of great games out there, skip the ones that try and take advantage of you.

I wonder if people dedicated as much time, or even 10% as much time, to real problems in the world as this stuff, where we'd be...

People complain 10,000 times as much against, their cell phone company or, DLC, as they do govt corruption or people starving in africa.

LOL, seriously? I mean ... for reals?

Anywho .. nope. I don't really give a shit about what companies do (don't take this too literal ... of course I'm against frakking and tearing apart towns due to mining or oil drilling and such and vote accordingly), especially game companies. The only thing that I really investigate is where my food comes from, and since 90% of my food comes from produce and home cooked it's not that difficult, I look at it for health reasons, not corporate political reasons.

Games are a hobby, they are not something I need (well, kind of, I do need Guild Wars 2) and their business practices are probably going to be some of the worst based on most companies that produce frivolous items.

Nothing a game company does is any worse than what Apple does with the production of the iPhone, yet people glance over that, 100's of millions of people do actually. When you have workers committing suicide in protest of working conditions and this is public knowledge and you can still get people to line up around the block for a iPhone 4S ... you've obviously mastered the disconnect from production to product.

I think boycotting game companies is a personal choice and I respect that, I just know that for what it's worth, the "damage" or "scandalous anti-consumer" practices they doesn't even warrant much attention.

Online Pass? I wait for a price drop.
DLC? I don't have to buy it.
Terrible DLC implementation? It's still my choice.

It's different when it comes to games for me, I look at the game, if it offers what I want for the price I want, I'll buy it. People rage against Season Passes and while some are terrible I think the Forza 4 one was worth it.

Too many different factors besides "the company is screwing me over" to really even consider that one. It depends on how and why, otherwise I don't give a shit if the game is fun.

So because there are worse evils in the world you can't complain about anyone else? Are you only allowed to complain about something like this if you are out actively campaiging against anything else in the world that is evil? I think it's hilarious that you are focusing on these big bad corporations instead of the starving kids in Africa (or pick any other horrible issue in the world). If you take that attitude you basically narrow down the discussion to a handful of topics. This is a gaming forum so of course the topics are going to lean towards gaming issues.

Frankly i hate posts like yours, your condescension is unwarranted and completely out of place. Not to mention there are threads in the OT that focus on issues like this.

I haven't bought a single EA game (that wasn't on a dirt cheap Steam sale or GOG) since Alice: Madness Returns and Origin. My general dislike for corporations makes it very easy for me to skip games based on that.

But, like I've said before - Ubisoft releasing Rayman: Origins drm-free on PC for a very reasonable price I have no problem supporting even though I boycott their games in general. When the publishers make something right, I won't boycott that specific product out of principle. Perhaps it will send them a message that yes, it pays off to do good deeds.

Esura

Banned
I don't think I'm really strong enough to stop supporting a company that acts against customers, which sounds kind of pathetic but...yeah. Like take Capcom for instance, I dislike the stuff they pull (DmC and systematically killing Megaman) and their poor implementation of DLC and the like however I ended up buying and enjoying RE: Revelations and somewhat to a lesser degree, SFxTekken and I have every intention on buying RE6 too. I dislike them and many other publishers and developers like them yet it doesn't really stop me from buying their game if it interests me unless something is fundamentally wrong with the game or have some sort of console DRM on it.

Cornbread78

OK, we get it, their customer service and policies suck, but their games are great. Sometimes you just have to dance with the devil to have a good time....

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Mass Effect 3 is a very fun game, so if that means supporting a super evil company who hates customers, then so be it, i don't care.

Card Boy

Banned
OK, we get it, their customer service and policies suck, but their games are great. Sometimes you just have to dance with the devil to have a good time....

There are hundreds and thousands of other games on the market. Is there a particular reason why people have to buy EA games?

Sebastard

Banned
I've boycotted EA since 2001, and havent bought a single EA game since then. Although I think the last 5 years EA has improved massively with their original quality games like Dead Space and Mirrors Edge.

The truth is I bought Dead Space and Mass Effect 2 & 3. Now ME are actually Bioware games so I really had no choice there. But Dead Space is an original IP from EA and is something im proud of owning.

But at the same time they still have these stupid things like the forced service called Origin, shutting down online servers, putting the EA logo EVERYWHERE, releasing new sports game every year.

So yes I will keep boycotting them!

There are hundreds and thousands of other games on the market. Is there a particular reason why people have to buy EA games?

... They like them better than the "hundreds and thousands of other games"?

I've boycotted EA since 2001, and havent bought a single EA game since then. (snip)

The truth is I bought Dead Space and Mass Effect 2 & 3. (snip) Dead Space is an original IP from EA and is something im proud of owning.
(snip)

So yes I will keep boycotting them!

I don't think you understand what that word means.

Sponge

Banned
I don't support the Xbox brand anymore for that reason actually, some people call me silly for it. I was just a big Rareware fan who bought a 360 in hopes I would enjoy their games still, and now they make Kinect Sports. It's something I still haven't gotten over and I almost feel like it's a crime.

Top Bottom