• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Argument over Diablo loot ends in fatal shooting

Kamina

Golden Boy
We have like 100x the people you do with way more ethnicities and mindsets. We have freedom and don't get the police called for using the wrong pronouns, unlike Canada and it's c16. I'd rather a few nuts shoot each other then not have the right to self defense.
The problem isn’t that he owned a gun anyway. The problem is that [he] had a gun, and that he had it [next to his PC].
- Wrong person
- Wrong place for a gun

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
We have like 100x the people you do with way more ethnicities and mindsets. We have freedom and don't get the police called for using the wrong pronouns, unlike Canada and it's c16. I'd rather a few nuts shoot each other then not have the right to self defense.
US has 9x the population. The rate of violence and gun shootings is a fraction of the US. And every other European country is similar.

In Canada, you can buy guns and rifles too. But hardly anyone does except people who go hunting because people here dont go nuts and we get along multiculturally much better than in the US.

Most of the stats between the two countries are very similar, except violence.

Page two of one of the links above. Absolutely ridiculous.
Murders with firearms144
Ranked 14th.
Ranked 4th. 65 times more than Canada

Last edited:
US has 9x the population. The rate of violence and gun shootings is a fraction of the US. And every other European country is similar.

In Canada, you can buy guns and rifles too. But hardly anyone does except people who go hunting because people here dont go nuts and we get along multiculturally much better than in the US.

Most of the stats between the two countries are very similar, except violence.

Page two of one of the links above. Absolutely ridiculous.
I could explain why the US has way more shootings, but it would get too political so I won't. Guns are not the problem tho.

Concern

Any chance one or both of them were mods in here?
Twd GIF by The Walking Dead

All that just for a cheap dig at mods lol

This reads like we have more violence because we have more non white people.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I’m imagining two people on a farm getting heated about loot. It’s ok to have sexual relations with your cousin, but don’t let someone steal your loot.

KAL2006

Banned
American guns laws are cray, but the positive of all this is you guys give us great movies with a lot of shoot bang action sequences and the story with so many guns in your Hollywood movies wouldn't make sense unless it was in America.

daveonezero

Banned
American guns laws are cray, but the positive of all this is you guys give us great movies with a lot of shoot bang action sequences and the story with so many guns in your Hollywood movies wouldn't make sense unless it was in America.
Most of that is fake and horrible gun safety.

Gun people cringe at Hollywood portrayal of firearms in most movies.

KAL2006

Banned
Most of that is fake and horrible gun safety.

Gun people cringe at Hollywood portrayal of firearms in most movies.

Whether it's realistic or not atelast we get some good movies out of American gun culture. Obviously it's bad for the folks that live there but for us who don't live in America we get some positives out of y'all crazy gun culture. Some of my all time favourite movies have a ton of shoot outs.

DaGwaphics

The rest of the world...

Parks And Recreation Donna GIF

That shit is American

Touché, our anything goes gun policy does have some serious issues. But, I won't say it is just us, there are some parts of the world where firing an AK47 at the sky is considered a normal celebration. I understand people that hunt or need guns for protection from wild animals, etc., but in general I think having them around can make extremely emotional situations a lot worse because of the immediacy. Remove the gun from this situation and after some heated moments, cooler heads probably prevail. Keep the guns in the video games where there is always a reset button.

Not trying to be political, I know there are users here that have a different take on this type of issue.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Now shoot yourself, please, so humanity could be slightly less insane.

this guy must have had something else happening before this loot incident no fucking doubt. Shit day in the office among other things then comes back to some guy ranting about loot and thought 'Fuck it'

With all due respect, he can slap the fuck out of him, or beat him a bit to blow the steam, but cowardly shooting at his old friend? He should be executed. Taking away a soul isn't a fucking game, and you should pay that debt with your own if not accidental like fist fighting then he suddenly hits something and dies, or self/family defense from a true life-threatening person(s).

Last edited:

MrA

The rest of the world...

Parks And Recreation Donna GIF

That shit is American
Yeah I know Europeans do things properly and stab their father's in the neck over FIFA
or stab their friends to death
or beat their daughters to death like real manly Canadian men
keep sniffing your own farts

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Yeah I know Europeans do things properly and stab their father's in the neck over FIFA
or stab their friends to death
or beat their daughters to death like real manly Canadian men
keep sniffing your own farts
Dude that shit is the exception, with you lot it's the fucking norm

Bramble

What really strikes me even more than the death threat and the crime itself, is the fact he got his gun and went to the other house and not for one moment did it occured to him he was about to do some crazy thing that would change his own life and take another.

hemo memo

Gold Member
What really strikes me even more than the death threat and the crime itself, is the fact he got his gun and went to the other house and not for one moment did it occured to him he was about to do some crazy thing that would change his own life and take another.
There is a quote from Prophet Mohammed that says: “The strong man is not the one who wrestles, but the strong man is the one who controls himself in a fit of rage”.

Umbasaborne

Banned
I don’t know, I think certain things might get you to black out and make all rational thoughts go bye bye, like if someone does anything bad to your family.
But I don’t even hit my controller if something bad happens in a game, seems so shortsighted. I rage uninstalled Valhalla though when a save bug dropped me back from hour 50 to hour 20 😬
I would literally never touch a game that did that to me again after that

Fredrik

I would literally never touch a game that did that to me again after that
Yeah that’s what happened, uninstalled it seconds after I had found out about it and went to youtube to look up the ending.

I was fine with it up til a few weeks ago, now I want to check out the Dawn of Ragnarök DLC… and then I think I need to play through a big part of it… 😤

this guy must have had something else happening before this loot incident no fucking doubt. Shit day in the office among other things then comes back to some guy ranting about loot and thought 'Fuck it'
I think having absolutely no life and these immersive life consuming games are a deadly combo for a balanced mind. The game becomes more important than anything because it's "all you have" and when some "important" shit happens in the game it feels like a real issue in real life. Mix that with being an american with a gun and voilá, there you go.

My source is me when I was addicted to mmorpgs or a moba.

hemo memo

Gold Member
I think having absolutely no life and these immersive life consuming games are a deadly combo for a balanced mind. The game becomes more important than anything because it's "all you have" and when some "important" shit happens in the game it feels like a real issue in real life. Mix that with being an american with a gun and voilá, there you go.

My source is me when I was addicted to mmorpgs or a moba.
Exactly. If he didn’t have an easy access to a fast killing machine, things would have ended differently.

sainraja

It can always be a knife, or a waifu magnet Katana or whatever. These people need medical help. Addiction is no joke.
Sure, but if someone is coming at you with those....you still have a chance to fight them off or try to distract them long enough so you can make your escape or stay alive long enough in hopes that there might be someone else who can calm or handle the situation; basically, you can make it difficult for them. With a gun, you don't really need to be up close but I guess in this situation, he shot him at close range but still. But yes, stupid people, will do stupid things, when they are being emotionally stupid.

Last edited:
Sure, but if someone is coming at you with those....you still have a chance to fight them off or try to distract them long enough so you can make your escape or stay alive long enough in hopes that there might be someone else who can calm or handle the situation; basically, you can make it difficult for them. With a gun, you don't really need to be up close but I guess in this situation, he shot him at close range but still. But yes, stupid people, will do stupid things, when they are being emotionally stupid.
A side effect of gaming is thinking you can see everybody coming in real life and just press the dodge button. You are dead if somebody with access to being near you wants to. There is no two ways about it. He is not an NPC.

A side effect of gaming is thinking you can see everybody coming in real life and just press the dodge button. You are dead if somebody with access to being near you wants to. There is no two ways about it. He is not an NPC.
This is fucking nonsense, if someone pulls a knife you can run, if someone pulls a gun on you, you can't.
Source: having successfully run after having knife pulled on me.
This insane idea that knives are somehow just as dangerous as guns is only parroted by US gun lovers, everyone else knows that is 100% not true.

Top Bottom