• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARK: Survival Evolved |OT| Early Access to the Land Before Time

Some of the mods they've added to the game are quite good. Industrial grinder, glass metal building pieces, rounded building pieces along with staircase options. And these are a couple of the light ones. I haven't tried the bigger ones yet.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Something broke with the latest update I guess because the game crashes constantly on me. Can't play for more than 5 minutes now before I get "shootergame has stopped working". I see the fix for a lot of people is to install service pack 1 for windows 7, but I am on windows 10 :/

How much of a grind/timesink is this game?

On vanilla settings... a lot. But it also depends on how you play the game. You can multitask and work on multiple things at once.

I don't play on vanilla settings though. Lately I've been playing on a server with 25x resource gains, and 50x taming speed. Even experience gain is upped a lot. This lets tribes get to the later stages of the game quicker.

That is not to say that the mid or early game is boring though.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
On vanilla settings... a lot. But it also depends on how you play the game. You can multitask and work on multiple things at once.

I don't play on vanilla settings though. Lately I've been playing on a server with 25x resource gains, and 50x taming speed. Even experience gain is upped a lot. This lets tribes get to the later stages of the game quicker.

That is not to say that the mid or early game is boring though.

Servers like this on X1 too?

On Xbox 1 and the servers need to get expanded. It's impossible to find an open slot or know when there is one. They need to have a que system because I'm setting sometimes for 30+ minutes waiting to get in the server I use.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Well, it runs like shit on XB1.

How am I meant to kill anything for food when it doesn't even register hits?

Noobcraft

My one hour trial is just about up, but I love this game (XB1). I went into it with zero prior experience with the game, and I did terrible, but I had a ton of fun being eaten by dinosaurs and trying to learn how to make a fire. I never figured out how to cook food, but running into a random stranger on an island and promptly getting killed by a tiny dinosaur on a beach while we both punched at it was magical. The performance is terrible but I had such a good time lol.

Also I punched a dinosaur and knocked it out. Then punched a giant spiky turtle and it murdered me.

10/10 dinosaur punching simulator.

Hah yeah, the game does very little to teach you the game still. You gotta learn through trial and error or from other people, or from the internet. I learned most of the basics from friends. But there are a ton of things to learn, some very nuanced. A lot can be learned just from being observant though.

For example, you punched a dino and it was knocked out. When you look at it, it should say add food to tame. So you just discovered how to tame by playing the game, almost. Then you gotta learn what food to feed it. Herbivores only eat berries and carnivores only eat meat. Some only eat prime meat (compys) and at least one only eats spoiled meat (scorpions). And then they have a preferred food, which they benefit the most from. They eat those first if they have the choice, so you can learn that way. But there is also kibble food which is more of a time investment to make but it tames animals very quickly (especially if you have the right kibble for the right dino) and then you get a higher taming bonus because you tamed them fast.

There are a lot of little things like that to learn about the game. The game is really deep like that, similar to min/maxing in more traditional RPGs.

I had the craziest base raid happen to me last night. I basically logged in during the middle of their offline raid. I had a few tribemates on but only 1 came to fight. Shortly after he was moaning about how we were going to slowly lose and what not. Basically being a giant wuss tbh. Anyway, he leaves after we get 3 gigasaruses killed (not even sure how all 3 died frankly). He just wasn't playing smart anyway. He wouldn't listen to me at all. He wanted to do his own thing and his own shitty thing was getting tames killed needlessly...

After all, our base is a freaking fortress with 4 towers on the corners sporting a minigun turret each and 8-10 autoturrets each as well. And the center of the base in a metal structure surrounded by plant X turrets and another 10-15 turrets as well. In addition to all that, each turret has at least 600 rounds with some having max capacity of 1200 or so. We also have a bird cage that has another 10 turrets easily, also loaded with bullets. So we're still in freaking amazing shape and my teammate is acting like a bitch... and leaves me.

2 hours of fighting later, I've taken down a 250 quetz, got like 4 fabricated snipers, 6 rocket launchers (all apprentice or better), tons of armor, 5 or 6 200+ rexes killed, all my quetz dead (they raided the cage and I couldn't do much after that), and so much ammo expended... so much c4 rockets and sniper ammo picked up. 4v1 the whole time btw. WIth them having a quetz with a rocket turret and 2 minigun turrets... That was quite a battle. 2 hours. At least. And somehow I managed to survive with only losing the birds in the cage, some minor tames, and 2 towers.

So I just bought this game in the steam sale. Is there no longer a GAF server? I tried searching for it but came up with nothing. Seems like a neat enough game, but I have no idea what I'm doing and I'm dying before I can really gain anything. Reading about the game seems to point towards working in a tribe for a better experience, but I don't want another Minecraft experience where I join a server and get killed 2 seconds into it over and over.

Nibiru

Banned
Finally bought and kept the game after having it before and refunding it. I was having fun but the damn cold and therefore hunger issues are the worst. I get it though that it is winterwonderland so it's gonna be cold. I'm surviving but I fear my days are numbered lol.

I'm diggin' it and i'm gonna keep it:)

Shifty76

The rage on reddit is real after the tamed dino nerf. I'm a big fan of it though. Taking out rexes and alphas in a couple of hits with a ptera was a little silly, fun as it was.

The dino nerf while it does help to make the game less silly (used to kill alpha rex's with my level 250 raptor lol) it also made the game slightly more grindy. My anky used to gather around 50-70 metal per metal rock node and now it collects around 30-40. I see that it also affected other dino gathering rates. I'm not sure if it was intended but it's just making the grind even more excruciating.

Shifty76

The dino nerf while it does help to make the game less silly (used to kill alpha rex's with my level 250 raptor lol) it also made the game slightly more grindy. My anky used to gather around 50-70 metal per metal rock node and now it collects around 30-40. I see that it also affected other dino gathering rates. I'm not sure if it was intended but it's just making the grind even more excruciating.

I've only collected meat & berries post nerf and both seemed fine, but will give anky & doed a go tonight. Play on my own server so I can adjust the gather rate easy enough if needed.

Shifty76

Just tamed our first giganoto. The same one that killed half our dinos and trashed our snow biome base. Level 64, tamed out to 95 (just used prime due to lack of female quetzal.)

Took 470-odd tranq arrows, despite the tame calculator saying it'd be 280 or so.

Questions for anyone who knows. I was playing ark for the first time on the one last night and there are a few things i need to try and wrap my head around that a google search didnt help with.

1: i was playing a pve server and couldnt kill anyone, including afc's. Was that a server thing (it was an xbox official server) or can you not kill anyone in pve's?

2: every time i died in a pvp official xbox server i lost my stats, level, and character. I'm curious because my gf played another server and kept her stats when she died. Was it server specific, or something else.

3: is it possible to save your character for other servers? Is it done the same was as its done on the pc i watched on youtube?

Questions for anyone who knows. I was playing ark for the first time on the one last night and there are a few things i need to try and wrap my head around that a google search didnt help with.

1: i was playing a pve server and couldnt kill anyone, including afc's. Was that a server thing (it was an xbox official server) or can you not kill anyone in pve's?

2: every time i died in a pvp official xbox server i lost my stats, level, and character. I'm curious because my gf played another server and kept her stats when she died. Was it server specific, or something else.

3: is it possible to save your character for other servers? Is it done the same was as its done on the pc i watched on youtube?
EDIT:
1. You CAN kill or raid in PvE put it has to be arranged by the admins of the tribe that want to war. Also it's only for a limited time.

2. Never heard of this happening on a Official PvP server : / But your description sounds exactly like PvP hardcore mode which causes all the things you listed when you die.

3. This can be done but only on Unofficial servers and only if the server admin allows for a character upload. It got removed from the Official Servers since people saved and moved there high level character along with C4 and other weapons to grief other servers.

Shifty76

EDIT:
1. You CAN kill or raid in PvE put it has to be arranged by the admins of the tribe that want to war. Also it's only for a limited time.
Nope. On pvpve servers you can kill them, but the only way to kill someone on a pve server is to do something like drag a giga to their base. Unless something changed.

Nope. On pvpve servers you can kill them, but the only way to kill someone on a pve server is to do something like drag a giga to their base. Unless something changed.

"PvE "Tribe Warfare" option (capability for Tribes to officially declare war on each other for mutually-agreed-upon period of time)"

Added on patch v223.0

http://steamcommunity.com/app/346110/discussions/0/535151589891562062/

And a video showing how to initiate tribe warfare in PVE.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kwwjJlsgWQ

hollomat

Banned
I finally have a PC capable of running this and was thinking about getting it for $12 with the humble monthly bundle. Think it'd be worth it if I was only going to play by myself and only do PvE?

Shifty76

I finally have a PC capable of running this and was thinking about getting it for $12 with the humble monthly bundle. Think it'd be worth it if I was only going to play by myself and only do PvE?
I have close to 1k hours on strictly playing solo or pve with friends. Well worth it!

Zeus7

I am hopelessly addicted to this game on Xbox One. Myself and around 10 other friends set up a tribe on a PVe server around 3 weeks ago and are still going strong. All the frame rate issues and graphics are totally minor compared to the gameplay.

Over 1k hours in this game and I can now consider me and my tribe the alphas of the official pvp server we play on. Going to drop some tips for farming resources fast, keep in mind these tips usually require 2 people but some can be done with one.

Farming metal fast
- Quetz carrying anky combo. Someone ride quetz and drive around volcano or blue obli (blue obli is my preferred location for metal) and the guy on the anky constantly click attack as if harvesting metal on the ground. (also top of volcano is usually packed with metal)

Farming Wood fast
- Quetz carrying Mammoth combo. As of now this is the best method to get wood but with the intro of the beaver that according to wiki reduces the weight of wood it could potentially be the replacement for the mammoth.

Farming Stone fast
- Quetz x Deodicurus (sonic dino) combo does not work right now so people commonly just carry deo around to rock abundant areas and the person on deo harvests and takes inventory out of deo and into quetz and rinse and repeat which is fine but my preferred method as of now is to make a boat and dock it in the northern part of the map where the snow and earth biome meet. Or well, the area with lots of pearls (will update with coords later) place a boat there and put a deodicurus on the boats frontal part.
Drive the boat into the rocks and the deo should harvest by itself (note, keep at least 2 storage boxes on the boat for storage). If you have a friend it would be best to just have him harvest the rocks while you drive the boat into the rocks for him to harvest.

Mass chitin/meat farming
- attempt to cage the broodmother spawn location with beho gates. but keep the gates elevated so that the spiders can come out from under the gates. Use a saber or wolf preferably to farm the spiders for as long as you wish to get mass quantities of chitin and meat.

Thats all I have for these 5 resources. If you guys have any other ways of farming resources that is fast and efficient let me know

Aselith

I just tried playing this and I ate three cooked meat and couldn't survive the pitch dark night to go out in the day and find more food. Are they serious with this shit?

Houndi101

So what's up with this game these days? Last played for two weeks straight last July...
Is the optimization any better these days?
I've seen stuff on RPS about kangaroos and cavemen...

Swamp fever is the worst. I hope they alter the mechanics of it, because it's sloppily integrated and just a griefing tool for now.

piratethingy

Self professed bad raider
Anyone know the current status of the GAF server? Couple people have asked. I just got this game and got into it, might get a server and set it up for us.

Hylian7

My group and I (basically DayZ-GAF) all picked up the main game last week and have been playing a lot. We started on the original map in a PvE server, but some decided to look at a The Center PvP server, and did a lot of exploring via respawning and really liked what they saw, so we decided to move there and start fresh. We are further there than we were at the old map. We made a base in the redwood biome.

J-rock is past level 35 and I am 33. Everyone else is below that. We took a sailing expedition last night to see the rest of the map, as we had barely left home. This map is insane, and we still haven't even seen the underground or top of the cliffs where the ruins are.

Top Bottom