• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARK: Survival Evolved |OT| Early Access to the Land Before Time

Found this thread just to ensure that everyone has shit performance, not just me--makes sense, given that it's early access.

However, are there any guides that recommend particularly taxing settings to disable or lower?

Xyber

Found this thread just to ensure that everyone has shit performance, not just me--makes sense, given that it's early access.

However, are there any guides that recommend particularly taxing settings to disable or lower?

Shadows gave me the biggest increases IIRC. That and turning down resolution scaling until the game looks like garbage.

Shadows gave me the biggest increases IIRC. That and turning down resolution scaling until the game looks like garbage.

Yeah, I felt like I was playing Trespasser at some points while I was tweaking to get a playable framerate.

Got a bunch of buddies who already have a huge compound and supplies, so that helps. They were going to let me use one of their T-Rexes to power level, haha.

ive been slowly getting into this grinding like crazy yesterday and then a T-Rex randomly came cross my house and killed every thing i had

Husker86

So is there an active GAF server? My coworkers aren't very regular in playing and I'm thinking I don't want to spend time constantly starting over. I think this game would be a lot more fun with a solid group

rpg_poser

My old group of online gaming friends has migrated to ARK. Tried it for the first time last night. I was given warm clothes, torch, spyglass and raptor pet. In the first hour I lost it all and somehow spread everyone's parked pets over the island.
After that I decided it wasn't fair for my friends to waste resources on me and went off to learn on my own.
Enjoying it, but losing everything except levels and learned crafting recipes (engrams) to random wandering carnivorous dinos can be painful. Haven't been able to kill a mob yet for hides without getting destroyed, so straight up fights should be avoided.
Still, it's a fun and unique experience.

Kiarushka

Are there no GAF servers up and running anymore? I want to be able to join a tribe and all that. Currently trying to solo it on an official server but everything is slow when it comes to researching things.

So I have been playing ARK for a few months now and I have to say, I think I hit the jackpot on choosing an official server! The Top dog's of the server are always looking to help smaller tribes and do not tolerate hackers/trolls. My tribe has reached a level where we don't fear being raided and are looking to construct larger buildings and better defenses to join the ranks of the true top dogs! Here is a picture of me and our tribe Spino and Rex
22036118854_5c5bb169ed.jpg

Patrick S.

Banned
I first learned about this game yesterday and inmediately bought it. Here are my impressions:

-the server browser kept bugging out; the buttons illuminated when I moved the cursor over them, but they didn't react to being clicked, and the scroll wheel didn't work either. After sitting there for about four minutes, everything seemed to be normal again, and I could connect to a server.

-walked around a bit, performance on the high graphic preset had some slowdowns on an i5 4690k @ 4 ghz and a slighty factory OC nvidia 970 from Palit.

-after maybe five minutes, I got a CTD.

-started the game again today. Same crap with the server browser.

-joined a low ping official server at western region 1. I spawned inside some kind of compound near a beach that was surrounded by wooden walls. The compound had a graveyard, and there was a tamed T-Rex, some other dino, and two dolphin-like "fishes" that were swimmiing in a part of the place that extended into the sea (but was walled in, too)

There were a few gates and doors in the outside walls, and a huge building in the middle of the compund. All the doors were locked, when I looked at them the game displayed some info regarding who that stuff belonged to, and it said that it could be demolished in 7 days and 23 hours.

There was literally no way to get out of there, so I reconnected and elected to be spawned in some northern area. While the session was loading, I got a black screen and the PC needed to be rebooted, the first game ever where this has happened in on this machine.

Overall, I rate my experience a 2/10.

Patrick S.

Banned
If you don't know, you can refund Steam purchases, no questions asked, from the support tab.

Thanks for the tip, but regardless of my disappointing experience I want to hang on to this, I want to give this game another chance because it looks quite fascinating.

Damn, wish I had remember the refund feature.

Game looks like it will eventually be fun but it's way too wonky for me. Feels like I'm playing a generations-old game sometimes, I have to reduce the graphics options so damned much.

It also probably has the worst overall UI design I've seen in a loooong time. Feels like it belongs in a late 90s arcade fighting game.

Patrick S.

Banned
Another try to play this game.

Game loads, has horrible graphics lag in the menu that wasn't there the other day.

Select a server, loads for a couple minutes, crashes to desktop without any error message.

Will refund this. This is the worst, most pathetic piece of shit excuse for game programming I've ever -tried- to play.

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
Fun game. Surprised it isn't talked about more for how pretty it is. It has hands down the best looking jungles and forests right now. Easily the most dense, and they look fantastic.

I think the best thing to do is to never chase the pvp pipedream and just settle for doing your own goals on a PVE server only. PVP in these games always ends in annoying frustration because you never actually get to fight. You just wake up or get home from work and everything is gone.

I've been recently playing this game a bit and I am having a ton of fun again. All the new stuff they added has really added up over the last couple months. The raft, building on the raft, etc., is really nice.

Performance seems to have really gone up as well. I think I went from 30 fps to 50-60 fps on medium/custom settings.

The server I am playing on is pretty well modified as well. They did a lot to get you deep into the game fast, like very fast leveling, extra resource gains etc.. So far digging the experience again.

Shifty76

I've been having a blast with this game. It's the sole reason I haven't fired up Elite Dangerous in a couple of months :)

Have to run it on low-med settings given my older rig (radeon 6870) but I get 20-30 fps which is fine by me, and it looks good enough.

Mostly been playing single player, but do have a private server that I play with the kids on.

Just built the industrial forge on a mountain in my sp game. That thing is amazing!

My small tribe started building a winter biome outpost. We're planning to finish it in metal. It's going to take a lot of metal and cementing paste.

My tribe built on the exact same place! Wonderful location since it's in the ocean so other tribe large dinosaurs take forever to reach it. My tribe is one of the larger tribes on our official server so the entire iceberg is blocked off by gates and spikes making it almost impossible for people to raid us. Bliss.

My tribe built on the exact same place! Wonderful location since it's in the ocean so other tribe large dinosaurs take forever to reach it. My tribe is one of the larger tribes on our official server so the entire iceberg is blocked off by gates and spikes making it almost impossible for people to raid us. Bliss.

We play on a PvE server so we don't have to worry about being raided. We chose it purely for aesthetic reasons. It's a really nice, scenic spot.

Here's the outside all finished in metal.

Shifty76

Got my transport/scouting quetzal mostly finished last night:

JY43SjRh.jpg

Just need to put a generator with 2 fridges in the room and a turret on top and it'll be done.

Now excuse me while I hop (ha!) on my frog and go farm up more cementing paste.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I picked this up during the Steam sale and have been digging it. I'm playing on a primitive pvp server with a buddy of mine who is much better at the game than me. My most notable accomplishment so far is taming myself a triceratops to ride around on. (well, actually two but I got the first one almost immediately killed.)

I'm looking for a new server to join. I prefer servers with really fast taming rate (I bore on taming) and generally increased resource gains (although it doesn't have to be insane like 25x).

Definitely pvp enabled, although I am most interested in building stuff. I find the PVE only server to get very boring very fast.

Last server I was on I left because the admin was clearly a dunce who was unwilling to enforce their own server rules.

Also willing to join up with people from here. And I got at least 1 friend who will likely join as well.

KaoticBlaze

is there going to be a gaf tribe or server for xbox that we can join? none of my friends are getting this so I have no one to play it with.

Ricker

How long is the free preview on the One...? Layers of Fear was really short but its a short game also...

Not downloading 26 GB if it lasts 30 minutes.

gossi

Oh my god, the Xbox One version is awful technically. 480p resolution, less than 20fps. Download the free trial for a laugh.

jond76

Banned
I'm playing on a nondedicated server just to learn stuff and have a question.

If I build a house and store stuff in a box, will that stuff remain if I die? Or will I start all I over?

Husker86

I'm playing on a nondedicated server just to learn stuff and have a question.

If I build a house and store stuff in a box, will that stuff remain if I die? Or will I start all I over?
Nothing that's not on your person will be lost upon death.

edit: well I'm not sure about trained animals.

Shifty76

Nothing that's not on your person will be lost upon death.

edit: well I'm not sure about trained animals.
Trained animals stay. Well...unless the thing that killed you then goes and kills them too. That's usually my biggest fear when dying: Losing my high level dino. Gear is easily replaced. High level dino not so much.
I still miss my 206 frog who was viciously killed by a school of angry pirahnas :(

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I've really been enjoying the PvP-lite (designated safe bases that can't be attacked), 5X tame server I've been playing on. Taming a trex without prime meat isn't a day-long affair anymore!

Ricker

What an awful trial on the X1...couldnt get into any of the official servers...only 12 of them...? its for like 50 players,a few of them said 48/50 but where actually full so I had to create a single player game of my own...no tutorial whatsoever,graphics are okay I guess,looked like 720p but the environnements are nice...started with a pair of shorts,no weapon or anything,died to piranhas,scorpions,raptors etc etc,defecated a few times,died of starvation,cold and heat...yeah,thanks for saving me 32 bucks guys lol...

I know some people like these kind of games and this is like pre-alpha and all but man,I just dont see myself playing this.

Shifty76

What an awful trial on the X1...couldnt get into any of the official servers...only 12 of them...? its for like 50 players,a few of them said 48/50 but where actually full so I had to create a single player game of my own...no tutorial whatsoever,graphics are okay I guess,looked like 720p but the environnements are nice...started with a pair of shorts,no weapon or anything,died to piranhas,scorpions,raptors etc etc,defecated a few times,died of startvation,cold and heat...yeah,thanks for saving me 32 bucks guys lol...

I know some people like these kind of games and this is like pre-alpha and all but man,I just dont see myself playing this.

Eating berries or drinking water wasn't an option for you? That prevents dying of hunger/thirst. Tons of getting started vids on youtube. Should maybe check them out ;)

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I've really been enjoying the PvP-lite (designated safe bases that can't be attacked), 5X tame server I've been playing on. Taming a trex without prime meat isn't a day-long affair anymore!

Are these type of servers on X1?

Top Bottom