• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARK: Survival Evolved |OT| Early Access to the Land Before Time

I can't believe people are just refunding due to bad optimization....It's early access, theres even a disclaimer when you buy it.

I play on med settings with a i7 and 760, fluctuating from 15 to 30 fps...so what? The gameplay more than makes up for it.

There is no reason a 980ti shouldn't be running this thing at 90+ fps at 1080p

Sarcasm

There is a good reason why it doesn't.

Go code a game and find out for yourself. They even stated that optimization hasn't been done and is bad.

There is a good reason why it doesn't.

Go code a game and find out for yourself. They even stated that optimization hasn't been done and is bad.

Bad isn't the word. Utter shit is far more accurate. 24fps on a 980ti is the craziest poor optimization I have ever seen

If this was someone like Ubisoft we would have a 2000 post thread saying how "awful and lazy devs" they are. The performance is so poor that even for an Early Access title i feel its wrong to consumers to release it in any paid way in such a state

Quixz

Two old but OK rigs in the house. Regardless of settings the game runs awful but having a blast at frame rates I'd usually consider unacceptable.

Q9550 @3.6Ghz - GTX770 OC - 8GB ram
i7 860 @4.0Ghz - GTX980 SC - 8GB ram

PS4/One performance will be interesting.

Xyber

Bad isn't the word. Utter shit is far more accurate. 24fps on a 980ti is the craziest poor optimization I have ever seen

If this was someone like Ubisoft we would have a 2000 post thread saying how "awful and lazy devs" they are. The performance is so poor that even for an Early Access title i feel its wrong to consumers to release it in any paid way in such a state

Get a refund and buy it later on when you think the performance is good enough, simple as that.

Two old but OK rigs in the house. Regardless of settings the game runs awful but having a blast at frame rates I'd usually consider unacceptable.

Q9550 @3.6Ghz - GTX770 OC - 8GB ram
i7 860 @4.0Ghz - GTX980 SC - 8GB ram

PS4/One performance will be interesting.

Can't judge console performance at all from what we are playing now. It will be a long time before those versions will be a thing and performance will most likely improve a lot until then.

Sarcasm

I get 40 FPS on an I7 3770K and GTX670.

aaadfreo.jpg

gossi

I can't believe people are just refunding due to bad optimization....It's early access, theres even a disclaimer when you buy it.

I play on med settings with a i7 and 760, fluctuating from 15 to 30 fps...so what? The gameplay more than makes up for it.

I think people are okay to get a refund if they cannot get the game to run good enough to be playable.

Secondly, just because you can get the game working between 15-30fps does not mean other people can.

Xyber

I think people are okay to get a refund if they cannot get the game to run good enough to be playable.

Secondly, just because you can get the game working between 15-30fps does not mean other people can.

Yeah, 15-30fps is complete garbage and is so far from what I consider playable. Fortunately I can get my game to run at 60+, but that of course comes at the cost of using the no sky mode, having everything (but textures and AA) at the lowest and resolution scaling turned down a bit while running at 1080p.

It doesn't look pretty, but at least it runs at playable framerates (which I consider to be 60 and above, I have a 144Hz monitor and don't really want to go lower than 80fps in anything).

Soi-Fong

Refunded the game. I'll jump in again when it's technically better.

I couldn't get above 40 fps w/ my i7 2600k + 780 Ti and I was getting constant drops to 20 fps or so. I know others are a bit more tolerable, but I just cannot play with that kind of performance. It's really hard to enjoy when that's happening.

The billing date for the server is up next week and just wanted to make sure people are still using it? I am happy to keep paying if you guys are still using it!

metzger203

The billing date for the server is up next week and just wanted to make sure people are still using it? I am happy to keep paying if you guys are still using it!

I am, and have a tribe of about 6 semi-active members. Would like to continue playing on this server if possible, it's quite comfy.

Definitely going to keep using it!

My experience so far on the server.
346110_screenshots_2015-06-17_00006 by carrilloedgar046, on Flickr
346110_screenshots_2015-06-18_00001 by carrilloedgar046, on Flickr
346110_screenshots_2015-06-19_00004 by carrilloedgar046, on Flickr
346110_screenshots_2015-06-19_00017 by carrilloedgar046, on Flickr

Houndi101

At this moment in time is it worth the price?
I have never jumped into Early Access bandwagon before but this does look neat, (if it happens to run properly?)
A friend is telling me to buy it and that it's pretty good but I'm not sure...

MajorMane

At this moment in time is it worth the price?
I have never jumped into Early Access bandwagon before but this does look neat, (if it happens to run properly?)
A friend is telling me to buy it and that it's pretty good but I'm not sure...

It should run ok on my setup right? The CPU has been clocked to 4ghz

T72KSZs.png

It's a really fun game with common updates and a dedicated dev team... that being said, it IS an Early Access game and the game is more or less in Alpha state. Expect bugs and issues from time to time, but to me, the fun of the game is worth it all.

You'll be able to run it, sure, but it depends on whether you want to run it at 60 fps or whatever. The game has come a long ways in terms of optimization, but it still has a long way to go before it's really polished. I'm not knowledgeable with computer parts to a huge degree, but on my upper-medium to high rig, I've put in 81 hours just below 30 fps and that's good enough to me. My friend who runs it on his clunker laptop has managed to put in 231 hours at like 15 fps maximum.

So, if you're not willing to put up with a few bugs and a poorly optimized game at the moment, hold off. If you are, however, this is a wonderful buy even at the $29.99 price point. Worst comes to worst and you decide (within 2 hours) that you don't like the game, you''ll be able to refund it and wait until later.

cyen

i think im going to buy the game. Any recomendations on server selection? PVE or PVP? From what i gathered people in pvp are like always a bunch of cunts just destroying other work..

Klyka

Banned
I swear this game is gettin like 3 patches a day.

It runs a LOT better now,I can basically play with all important graphic effects and the game looking great at 30-40fps now. If i turn stuff down, I can get waaaay more but I like it pretty for now.

MajorMane

i think im going to buy the game. Any recomendations on server selection? PVE or PVP? From what i gathered people in pvp are like always a bunch of cunts just destroying other work..

PvP can be a crapshoot depending on the server you get. I used to play on one of the official PvP servers and for the most part, everyone was nice and if someone got raided, the entire server would band behind that person against the raiders. (Especially if it was a very high level player just destroying low levels for no reason.) That being said, raids and bad shit still happen and if you don't want to deal with that, PvE is a perfectly acceptable alternative. People can't raid really (unless you leave your doors open and don't put pins on anything - and at that point, you deserve it), so that's nicer. On the other hand, it can be hard to settle into a spot because you can't build so close to another person. The demolish timer helps with this, but it can still be frustrating.

Both options have pros and cons. I've enjoyed my time on both PvP and PvE a lot, though I'd probably give the edge to PvE.

I put 40 hours into this freaking game on my vacation week
What have I done

The game can get so dang addicting and things take longer than you think they will.
"Alright, I'm going to tame this dinosaur and then go to bed for the night."
*3 hours later*
"... fuck"

I don't know about this game. A friend gifted it to me cause him and a couple other friends have been playing this game nonstop for like 2 weeks. And so I get in, kinda understand what is going on. But at the same time, I just don't get what the appeal is or why my friend's love this game so much to be seemingly playing the game around the clock.

It'll probably grow on me, but I can't see myself logging in every day and playing for hours.

demolitio

Anyone playing on a good U.S. server that they'd recommend? I'm tired of playing on this private server that has no action besides dinosaur taming but I don't want to play solo or just with one other friend.

Ensirius

Looking at people's setups and fps they get out of them I am assuming I will need to upgrade my 2500k and gtx 560 ti to play this game decently. Watching Frankie's videos on YouTube really made me want to give this a shot.

Klyka

Banned
Looking at people's setups and fps they get out of them I am assuming I will need to upgrade my 2500k and gtx 560 ti to play this game decently. Watching Frankie's videos on YouTube really made me want to give this a shot.

no need to upgrade your 2500k. I've been running mine for years now at 4.6ghz and it runs everything.
Get a new GPU rather. Most games nowadays are GPU dependant.

zugzug

listen I understand this game isn't optimized and perhaps H1Z1 is not optimized either...but Ark sure looks a hellavua lot better on twitch streaming than H1Z1 does. man the pixels on H1Z1 are terrible.

So I give a cookie to Ark.

Effect

So is the game worthwhile even if playing solo and trying to build and build up your own area/village?

I see from the trailer you can advance the technology you are using pretty far. From from simple tools to guns and what looked like turrets. All the while taming dinos!. Is that in the game now or played for future updates?

Would one say this is a more interesting looking minecraft styled game or could be on it's way to becoming like that?

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone give me an idea on what u do in the game etc looking at jumping in

I know performance isnt up to scratch

hepburn3d

Queen!!

Well you die your first night / day. Then you punch a few trees and get an axe. Then you die soon after. Then you start using your new axe skills to make some stuff. 30 - 50 hours later you have a tribe, you're taming dinos and feeling like a boss. Then you die again :)

Best way I can describe it is like a really good looking mine craft with less focus on digging and more on survival. Runs horribly but makes up for it in gameplay.

I would jump on the gaf server and join you but rose and I are waiting for the bugs to get a bit more polished out. Is most fun if you can find others to play with, that's my feelings though.

I'd say survival crafting game with dinosaurs and horrible unoptimised performance. Worth every penny :)

So is the game worthwhile even if playing solo and trying to build and build up your own area/village?

I see from the trailer you can advance the technology you are using pretty far. From from simple tools to guns and what looked like turrets. All the while taming dinos!. Is that in the game now or played for future updates?

Would one say this is a more interesting looking minecraft styled game or could be on it's way to becoming like that?

The game is very good at clan play, what they call tribes. My friends and I work together to build up a base. We defend it from the wild and other players. You can be attacked and killed or raided at any time on a pvp enabled server, so it can be difficult but rewarding to succeed in building up a nice area.

We're playing on a server that only enables PVP during the weekend, so we don't have to worry as much about griefing. As long as we lock up, people can't barge in and steal our stuff.

As for advanced weaponry and stuff being in the game, I'm not sure what is and isn't in the game yet.

As far as minecraft, I mean sure the game does fall into the same kind of genre. I think it is minecraft with more emphasis on teamwork. I'm not even sure it is possible for a single player to learn all the recipes to craft things, but if it is it is still much easier to use teammates to focus on a particular skill set.

They did have a recent performance update. I know someone who is playing it on a toaster now. I play on a gtx 560 on medium settings.

Xyber

They did have a recent performance update. I know someone who is playing it on a toaster now. I play on a gtx 560 on medium settings.

You saying you are playing on medium with a 560 doesn't really say much though. No mention of resolution or framerate.

I think the framerate is too shitty on medium with a 970, only way I find it acceptable is with no sky mode, draw distance on medium, Textures and AA on max (doesn't affect performance at all for me) and the rest is either off or on low. Then I have resolution scaling turned down a bit as well. That gives me 60+ almost all the time, but it also looks bad.

Some people might think 20-30fps is playable in a PC game, most people don't though (especially for a first person game).

You saying you are playing on medium with a 560 doesn't really say much though. No mention of resolution or framerate.

I think the framerate is too shitty on medium with a 970, only way I find it acceptable is with no sky mode, draw distance on medium, Textures and AA on max (doesn't affect performance at all for me) and the rest is either off or on low. Then I have resolution scaling turned down a bit as well. That gives me 60+ almost all the time, but it also looks bad.

Some people might think 20-30fps is playable in a PC game, most people don't though (especially for a first person game).

I didn't realize I was making a report card on performance. Just mentioning that performance has increased a lot recently and it is more than just playable on my rig which only sports a gtx 560 (2gb vram) and an e8400 cpu (with only 4gb of ram).

30fps for this type of game is playable. You might not like playing at that kind of framerate, but it is very playable.

I'm playing at 1080p, medium textures, resolution scaling is whatever the default is, I didn't touch that. AA, distance medium, etc.., not exactly stock, with 45-60 fps. I'll have to check it next time I play. I probably am underestimating the framerate tbh. Very smooth for me at least. I have more issues with lag with the server than framerate.

Wait what? Ubisoft is absolute shit; don't even bring it into discussions about badly optimized early-access games. You do realize that Ubisoft releases terrible ports of expensive AAA games AND shits on you as a PC customer? Early access games can be optimized (after a decade or so e.g The Forest), but a terrible port WILL look and run like shit regardless of what you do--at least you get a good looking game.

On a serious note, I am not going to get the game any time soon with this performance. I am actually pissed off at some early access devs who only release MINOR updates when there are major sales and they get some quick cash. They claim "performance improvement" in every fucking patch/alpha release but the performance is the same as it was a year ago.

Another reason why I might not get it is lag and my own crappy connection. The premise of the game is great; I wish I can play it normally even with some performance issues.

Xyber

I didn't realize I was making a report card on performance. Just mentioning that performance has increased a lot recently and it is more than just playable on my rig which only sports a gtx 560 (2gb vram) and an e8400 cpu (with only 4gb of ram).

30fps for this type of game is playable. You might not like playing at that kind of framerate, but it is very playable.

I'm playing at 1080p, medium textures, resolution scaling is whatever the default is, I didn't touch that. AA, distance medium, etc.., not exactly stock, with 45-60 fps. I'll have to check it next time I play. I probably am underestimating the framerate tbh. Very smooth for me at least. I have more issues with lag with the server than framerate.

It's just that saying it runs fine on X doesn't really say anything in most cases, some extra info is needed so other people can make a judgement on if they think that's good or not.

I would assume the resolution scaling slider is down at 50% or something, because I just can't see that card getting 45-60 unless you spend all your time at the beach. :p

I would be interested to see a fraps benchmark with frametimes of like 10 minutes of gameplay, because I very much doubt you can actually maintain 45-60 with that card in forests and stuff. Most people are bad at judging framerates by eye, saw so many people say they were getting close to 60fps in this shortly after launch. But when I asked if they could provide some data to prove that, it turned out they were closer to 30.

So I never really trust anyone that says a game runs "fine" or "feels like 60fps" if they can't back it up with some proof, because in most cases that isn't really true. Those people should be glad they can tolerate subpar framerates, but it doesn't help others who think 30fps is unplayable.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Nasty bug now that could cost your all your tribe's structures and pets simply from inviting a new member. It changes ownership of everything to a different tribe. We're locked out of everything now and all of our pets are red. Devs have known about the problem since at least June 10th, no update since then.

Between that and two more dupe exploits since the PvP server wipe I expect we'll get another server wipe pretty soon.

As far as performance goes the game runs a lot better on my rig than it did at release. They're definitely making significant performance optimizations.

It's just that saying it runs fine on X doesn't really say anything in most cases, some extra info is needed so other people can make a judgement on if they think that's good or not.

I would assume the resolution scaling slider is down at 50% or something, because I just can't see that card getting 45-60 unless you spend all your time at the beach. :p

I would be interested to see a fraps benchmark with frametimes of like 10 minutes of gameplay, because I very much doubt you can actually maintain 45-60 with that card in forests and stuff. Most people are bad at judging framerates by eye, saw so many people say they were getting close to 60fps in this shortly after launch. But when I asked if they could provide some data to prove that, it turned out they were closer to 30.

So I never really trust anyone that says a game runs "fine" or "feels like 60fps" if they can't back it up with some proof, because in most cases that isn't really true. Those people should be glad they can tolerate subpar framerates, but it doesn't help others who think 30fps is unplayable.

30fps is more than playable. Calling it unplayable is hyperbolic. But yes I did run a test with a fps indicator and it largely supports what I have said. I don't think I need to prove anything to you as I have already stated I am not giving a report card. I was just commenting on performance and you're calling me a liar. No thanks.

Xyber

30fps is more than playable. Calling it unplayable is hyperbolic. But yes I did run a test with a fps indicator and it largely supports what I have said. I don't think I need to prove anything to you as I have already stated I am not giving a report card. I was just commenting on performance and you're calling me a liar. No thanks.

No, to me it's far from hyperbolic. I already mentioned that people who are able to play like that should consider themselves lucky, because to me it is unplayable when playing with a mouse. I game on a 144Hz monitor, so even 60fps is far from great to me but that's where I think it starts to feel good and responsive.

I wasn't calling you a liar, but of course I am doubtful when you achieve something with a 560 that I can only get with everything at low and turned off. When I do that with resolution scaling almost at 100% I get ~45fps in demanding areas, if I turn it down to ~70% I can get closer to 60. And that's with a 970 overclocked beyond 980 performance and i7 4770K@4.3GHz.

If you can't see where my suspicion is coming from I don't know what to tell you.

And no, you don't have to prove anything to me but it would be way more helpful to Queen of Hunting or anyone else looking to get this game to get some actual info on how it runs on various hardware and not just "runs fine on my 5 year old mid range card" when we all know it runs bad even on the best cards out right now. Yet again, what you think is playable can still an awful experience for a lot of others.

So i got this cause some friends and I saw Jurassic Park and then we ended up wanting to play this because of it. once i finally "got it" i got hooked. This game is to much fun.

my question is, im assuming there is a gaf server, and is this server pve?

My friend keeps trying to get me to buy this game, but I've read the user reviews on this games performance and I honestly just don't like these early access survival games (DayZ, Ark, etc). Lots of people are having a great time with this game, but it's just not my thing genre wise.

I was trying to look up a way of transferring the server down to a 20/30 slot server cause everytime I look it hasn't had more than 10 players, with the provider I am with it is not possible without a wipe. Sorry but I can't justify $55 a month for a server which has less than 10 players. I will probably switch it to a 20/30 slot server in the next week. There might be a couple of days of downtime, once again sorry.

I was trying to look up a way of transferring the server down to a 20/30 slot server cause everytime I look it hasn't had more than 10 players, with the provider I am with it is not possible without a wipe. Sorry but I can't justify $55 a month for a server which has less than 10 players. I will probably switch it to a 20/30 slot server in the next week. There might be a couple of days of downtime, once again sorry.

is this a pve server or pvp?

Top Bottom