• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arkham Horror: The Card Game |OT| Cards of Cthulhu

XShagrath

You should specify that even getting all the current deluxe expansions/mythos packs won't be enough to equal a second core set in terms of deck customization. Though being a LCG, all the extra stuff helps in expanding from the core set, it's not yet at the point in its life where just getting the extra packs/sets is sufficient.

I modified the OP with this text. Hopefully that helps out people who still have this question a little more.

You can play and enjoy the game with a single core set, although I would suggest playing on Easy difficulty. Buying the expansions will give you more versatility in deck customization, but will not equal what you have by buying a second core set. The core has many staple cards that do not have equivalent cards in the expansions, so having two copies of these is going to make your decks more consistent.

Llyranor

Yeah, that makes it clear.

I'll play the game a few times (and maybe 1 or 2 standalone scenarios) and see how I like it before deciding whether to get a second core set

XShagrath

Pimp my arkham horror with plenty of room for the rest of the series
Coin capsules are absolutely the best upgrade you can get for this game.

My latest round of pimping..
QW69Pvnl.jpg

Custom location markers (molded by a guy on BGG, painted by me)
Hokhk1Sl.jpg

Doom counters (Corruption tokens from The Others, repainted by me)
Dd21Cnxl.jpg

hoggert

Argh, sold out already. Hopefully the writing isn't horrible and poorly edited like I've read about the earlier books pre that big book that came with Marie.

hoggert

45s were always useful (and a great resource dump if you were flowing over,) but 3 resources a turn on the medallion? A little too conditional/balanced lol, but I still like it.

edit: full art unexpected courage full art promo posted to the discord.

XShagrath

Where'd that Unexpected Courage come from?

As for the Medallion, it's up to three resources. Turn your two Emergency Caches into an XP. Hot Streak becomes almost 2 XP. It could be really good to load up on the first couple scenarios, especially on the campaigns that don't give you a ton of XP right out of the gate (I'm talking to you, Dunwich).

hoggert

Where'd that Unexpected Courage come from?
First day gift to Arkham Night go-ers that was posted to the Mythos Busters discord. There's apparently going to be another card handed out today.

Yeah, I didn't think of that regarding the medallion - and then you could always switch to her non-variant cards later when you have a decent pool of XP

XShagrath

Yeah, I didn't think of that regarding the medallion - and then you could always switch to her non-variant cards later when you have a decent pool of XP
Actually, you can't switch them out. Here's the text from the "Replacement" rules card. It says "During a campaign, this choice cannot be unmade."

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...478811110768650/cameringo_20171013_142254.jpg

There's definitely a trade-off, as that new Weakness is pretty horrible. I haven't really had any problems with Izzie in the couple campaigns I've run with Jenny. It helps that another 'gator can help with it, although I guess the same can be said for this new one.

I'll definitely be picking up this novel if I can either find it at a bookstore or at my FLGS. There's no way I'm going to pay $22 for it directly from FFG ($15 + $7 shipping).

hoggert

Argh, that sucks. Is there another Discord besides the Mythos Busters one by the way? I've been searching and haven't found shit.

XShagrath

Argh, that sucks. Is there another Discord besides the Mythos Busters one by the way? I've been searching and haven't found shit.
That’s the only one I know of. Everyone is super helpful there, but it moves way too fast for me to stay involved with the conversations, so I mostly lurk.

depths20XX

Been playing this on OCTGN and loving it. I'm not sure if it's the theme or the feeling of choices you get to make that make me enjoy it more than LOTR LCG. Both are great but I felt the deck building in LOTR was much more difficult. Perhaps I haven't gone far enough yet, though.

Currently playing Agnes (her heirloom seems low value but once you get her spells and scrying going she's great) and Skids (decent at investigating and has many cards that set him up to evade and do damage, along with resource collection. Main downfall is his low willpower which can screw you).

hoggert

Not sure if there's enough folks for that to be honest. I was just wondering if there was another due to how popular the game is and how it seems every single random game I play has some sort of unofficial discord the developers use, and while Mythos Busters is pretty awesome, have Newman and French on there, etc. I'm surprised there isn't a general, unaffiliated discord around.

Council designed card from Arkham Nights
. Imagine using that on a scenario where drawing a special token makes everyone at the location where a monster is takes an attack haha

Is it possible to beat (arkham 1st scenario spoiler)
the ghoul priest that spawns when you open the parlor
with a "starter" deck? Or in general what is the strategy for taking on tough enemies? Try to one round them with attacks before they can attack or evade to exhaust them and punch their face in?

depths20XX

with a "starter" deck? Or in general what is the strategy for taking on tough enemies? Try to one round them with attacks before they can attack or evade to exhaust them and punch their face in?

It is definitely possible but I'm not sure how many characters/players you're playing with. Your strategy mostly depends on the cards or situation you're in at the time. I will say that one rounding that is not very doable for what you have in a starter deck.

(I played that scenario solo using two investigators with the manuals starter decks)

You can beat him with just starter deck. I only own one core set and while it would be nice to double on some of the core cards. For the first scenario I think the core set by itself should be just fine in beating the scenario.

hoggert

We've actually managed to kill him in a turn or two every time somehow. Used the player guide base decks on Standard:
Roland + Wendy = Roland put down a barricade to prevent other enemies moving into the hallway, then smashed him with a stray cat evade into gunfire + backstab, etc.
Skids + Daisy = spent two turns just concentrating him down with Daisy taking the eventual hits because Skids was three quarters dead due to bad encounter deck pulls and his terrible willpower.

Are my friend and I just rushing the scenario too fast? Both times it's around round 3 or 4 that we trigger that event and we're usually low on resources and hand cards. Should we take rounds that we're "safe" to draw cards and gather resources?

XShagrath

Are my friend and I just rushing the scenario too fast? Both times it's around round 3 or 4 that we trigger that event and we're usually low on resources and hand cards. Should we take rounds that we're "safe" to draw cards and gather resources?
With the Gathering, I like to spend my first turn gearing up. I'll mulligan most of my opening hand if I don't have some good assets, and then play as much as I can in the first turn. Since you only have that one location at the start, you're fairly safe from some of the nastier enemies that can show up in that scenario. Then, when you get past that first Act card, you've got some weapons out to help take things down.

Started up a Night of the Zealots campaign with Zoey and Daisy. First scenario ended well with a nerve wracking climax. Ghoul Priest was going to defeat Zoey but I managed to have the right cards to defeat it in one round. Also thanks to Lisa that will be a great ally.

Now to wrack my brain deciding how to spend my experience.

Llyranor

Yeah, this thread convinced me to order some coin capsules. They sound like a great addition.

What sort of card storage box do you guys use?

That is a possibility. I do find one of the key challenges in this game to be the balance between taking time to self improve through the use of playing assets and card/resource drawing; and directly taking actions to finish the scenario through primarily investigating and exploring (although every scenario has its own method of finishing it). Rushing can get you killed, but dawdling can get you killed too. The Gathering scenario in question has a bit of a safety net before you complete act 1, so it might be worth just taking a turn or 2 making sure you have good assets down, an ally, a weapon for anyone fighty and a good amount of cards and resources in stock just to help with the events that come later.

hoggert

Another day, another printing error. Edit: urgh phone screwing up the link/spoiler tags. Spoilers for the next investigator book are up on BGG and Reddit.

Interesting combo. While I probably wouldn't want to take both sets of Jenny's cards, I would definitely do both here.

Really enjoying what I've played of this so far. Starting to get my head around the rules, just have a question, when using a weapon like a machete, when I equip it does that consume resources or an action?

My thought was that it took a turn to equip and then on each use it uses resources.

XShagrath

Really enjoying what I've played of this so far. Starting to get my head around the rules, just have a question, when using a weapon like a machete, when I equip it does that consume resources or an action?

My thought was that it took a turn to equip and then on each use it uses resources.
Playing a card costs an action, and also any resources. For example, Machete costs 3 resources to play. Then, on any action after that, you can use the machete and perform a Fight action and get the bonuses listed on the card (if you meet any requirements).

Playing a card costs an action, and also any resources. For example, Machete costs 3 resources to play. Then, on any action after that, you can use the machete and perform a Fight action and get the bonuses listed on the card (if you meet any requirements).

Thanks for the reply, So once you have it activated you don't have to use resources each time you attack with it?

XShagrath

Thanks for the reply, So once you have it activated you don't have to use resources each time you attack with it?
That is correct. The only time you spend resource on an asset once it's out is if it explicitly tells you to, such as these.

01062.jpg
02032.jpg

So, for Fire Axe, you would use one action and one resource to put it out on the table. Then, you can use the action on it (with the arrow) to perform a Fight action. During that, you can use the free trigger (lightning bolt) to spend resources to boost up your Attack value for the attack.

That is correct. The only time you spend resource on an asset once it's out is if it explicitly tells you to, such as these.

01062.jpg
02032.jpg

So, for Fire Axe, you would use one action and one resource to put it out on the table. Then, you can use the action on it (with the arrow) to perform a Fight action. During that, you can use the free trigger (lightning bolt) to spend resources to boost up your Attack value for the attack.

Just to add, some assets like guns will tell you to put resources on the card so those you have limited usage of.

XShagrath

Just to add, some assets like guns will tell you to put resources on the card so those you have limited usage of.
You are correct. I totally don't think of those as "resources" since I have different counters for each type of thing.

I have either too much time, money, or sense.

01062.jpg
02032.jpg

Ah excellent, thank you all for clearing that up for me. There is a lot to think about but I'm having so much fun learning.

XShagrath

That's down the road ah:tcg pimping same with getting models for the characters.

Already have Mansions of Madness, so I've got minis (painted) for all of the shared 'gators. I haven't gone so far as buying the pre-painted ones, due to the fact that it'll probably be a double dip with MoM at some point, and also that they're hideously ugly.

I finally got around to completing my first pass through Carcosa this evening. Holy shit! There are so many little things I love about this game. Every time I play, I'm questioning myself on whether or not I should do certain things in the game. These things would not garner a second thought in other games, but it's completely agonizing here. The Last King's Act card brought a smile to my face with the genius this game displays.

ExReey

Just discovered this gem, and it has become my favorite board/card game of all time overnight.
Anyone here still playing this game?

Top Bottom