• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arkham Knight Batmobile haters: What would make it satisfactory (w/o removing it)?

"Officer Down" gameplay trailer

Batmobile portions:

Evening The Odds™ (scripted initial Batmobile-summon moment)

Pay Him a Visit™ (unscripted Batmobile-summon moment)

iNEl9SaURgxvb.gif

Any time Arkham Knight is discussed, I see people say that they don't want to use the Batmobile, that it doesn't look fun to use, Etc.

To those who don't like what's been shown of the Batmobile so far: Without removing it completely or changing the game world's size/scope, how would you change it's implementation to make it okay for you?

Rocksteady/Sefton Hill have mentioned in previews/interviews that the Batmobile is there to use when the player wants. While there will almost certainly be batmobile focused segments in the main game, the only confirmed batmobile-only segments so far are some of the Riddler challenges — going by Rocksteady's last game (Arkham City), all of that will be completely optional. So far, it seems like its only mandatory use is for transporting people to safe zones and breaking through certain walls, as seen in the most recent stage demo. It functions like one of the series' gadgets.

I'd want to change aspects of the "all-range mode" so that it feels less like a shooter than it seemingly does now. I'd rather have atypical means of attack, like an EMP cannon/tether thing to disable the unmanned tanks. Or be able to use the batmobile's grappling hook while driving to latch onto enemy vehicles and swing them into stuff. If the car-combat was more "destruction derby" than "Halo vehicle," it'd probably seem more appealing to me — I can only hope you can just drive straight into enemy vehicles and send them flying, since that'd probably be most effective.

iIPZpf9iSnQxB.gif

gifs stolen from this gaffer

It's not that I don't think it will be fun to use. I think it will.

I never liked how reckless Batman was in the Nolan films. and this is no different. I would've preferred if this was QTE or fast travel-based. Batman shouldn't be driving through Gotham causing collateral damage, knocking over lamp posts, traffic lights, fire hydrants, etc.

However, there's a lot of good arguments that can be made justifying its existence. So, overall, I'm simply indifferent to it being there.

People have been waiting 3 Arkham games to drive the Batmobile, and now that we finally get to, people are complaining about it?

Looks good to me. I like the mechanical design of it where suspension connects to parts of the body instead of just the wheels. Although the way he jumps up so high to get in has always looked weird to me.

Guevara

Basically just copy how Crackdown handled vehicles: some missions were possible in cars, but most weren't. Usually you'd just use vehicles to get to locations before jumping out and kicking ass on foot.

Arttemis

Neat idea for a thread! I've been wanting control of the Batmobile since I found out Arkham City was going to be open world. Man, I was crushed to find it was completely unavailable.

It's not that I don't think it will be fun to use. I think it will.

I never liked how reckless Batman was in the Nolan films. and this is no different. I would've preferred if this was QTE or fast travel-based. Batman shouldn't be driving through Gotham causing collateral damage, knocking over lamp posts, traffic lights, fire hydrants, etc.

However, there's a lot of good arguments that can be made justifying its existence. So, overall, I'm simply indifferent to it being there.

This will likely be preventable with adequate player skills. Unless something is life/death and a major plot point, I doubt the Batmobile gameplay would force any property damage in the game.

Pumped for the bat mobile-its as much a character as any in the batman universe-glad its getting some gametime- (I also ordered the bat mobile edition of the game)

Also:eek:dd camera movement at beginning of that first .gif- makes batman appear tiny then instantly huge

All I ever wanted was a giant Gotham city to drive the Batmobile around in. Like I have literally been imagining this since I was a kid watching the animated series. Actually I wanted every vehicle he used like the boat, the Jet and the motorcycle. People are actually complaining about using one of the most iconic vehicles in comic book and movie history? Really?

Pumped for the bat mobile-its as much a character as any in the batman universe-glad its getting some gametime- (I also ordered the bat mobile edition of the game)

Also:eek:dd camera movement at beginning of that first .gif- makes batman appear tiny then instantly huge

Not really...it backs away from Bats to get the Batmobile view....

I'm excited to use the Batmobile personally, I just hope it doesn't mean that every mission will involve a car chase and that all the Riddler stuff is race tracks.

If that happens I'll be a little sad but I'll still enjoy it.

Haven't played it yet so I don't "hate" it. But, allowing you to just smash through anything in your path as a way of making it not worthless seems odd. I just can't imagine it being more useful than gliding through the sky once you have the quick launch ability if it's the same as in City and Origins.

So, don't think it'll be bad, just might not be anything great either. Probably would have made more sense to make a couple segments dedicated to using it and really make those segments focused and awesome.

Dysun

Traversing through Gotham with the batmobile should be faster than gliding through it. That's all I want, because it looks awesome otherwise

dex3108

Make it extremely limited to use. If we can call it whenever we want there is no point because it will make game easy.

Oh look group of thugs nah i won't fight with them i will use Batmobile to take them down without penalty.

i need to go to other side of the map, oh well i will use Batmobile to knock everything in front of me and get there fast again without penalty.

For me i was fine without Batmobile, gliding was fun, running and walking was ok too, there was challenge in that because large number of thugs on streets and roofs.

Phinor

People have been waiting 3 Arkham games to drive the Batmobile, and now that we finally get to, people are complaining about it?

You are saying that as if 'people' had exactly one opinion. I guess it makes sense, many people (see what I did there ;) ) think Neogaf is also exactly one person with one opinion.

It's potato sack footage but still...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-nq3ztisto#t=414

While inside a building Batman has the batmobile grapple a broken road to form a ramp, it boosts and jumps over the gap, then at the same time Batman jump through a window and lands in the car while in mid-air. As long as they keep doing incredible stuff like that throughout the game I am more than fine with the addition of the batmobile.

Tookay

We saw about two minutes of it in action.

We have little idea how its gameplay mechanics will evolve throughout the game or even how the traditional Arkham systems will be balanced around it.

I trust Rocksteady's designers when it comes to making a compelling game.

So you're asking GAFFERS for ideas on game design for a game and mechanic that isn't even out yet...instead of trusting the people at Rocksteady who created the franchise?

...wut?

TheGamer

I'm upset that I missed out on pre-ordering the Batmobile edition of the game. As OP stated, it seems like it is optional and if a player doesn't want to use it, he/she doesn't have too.

Vidpixel

The only thing that's weird about it is the "non-lethal" gun mode. That one aspect just seems overtly "video gamey" to me, but hey, I haven't played the game yet, so who knows.

Something from the last previews at (I believe) E3 was like you had to use it for puzzles (Batmobile hooks onto door and pulls it up, then you walk through). Impressions sounded like it was just tacked on to give the Batmobile a purpose

EDIT:

Maybe they were talking about this:
It's potato sack footage but still...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-nq3ztisto#t=414

While inside a building Batman has the batmobile grapple a broken road to form a ramp, it boosts and jumps over the gap, then at the same time Batman jump through a window and lands in the car while in mid-air. As long as they keep doing incredible stuff like that throughout the game I am more than fine with the addition of the batmobile.

Take the combat out. I'm all for driving it (especially if those gifs are anything to go by) but I don't like the rockets and machine guns. I think it's more the believability that the targets all just happen to be drones so it's OK to use grenades and shit. I know that in the comics, shows, and movies, the Batmobile has had the same arsenal and more at times, but I think it's the interactiveness of video games that makes it tough to go with in this case

So you're asking GAFFERS for ideas on game design for a game and mechanic that isn't even out yet...instead of trusting the people at Rocksteady who created the franchise?

...wut?

We've got about fifteen minutes of footage with some Batmobile gameplay:

Some people — based on this footage and other footage/official videos/features/hands-on impressions — formed an opinion about it. Enough people who had a negative opinion of it have voiced it and I wondered what they would change

What kind of discussion am I allowed to have about the game, Cartridge? could you link me to your ToS

The batmobile moments in that video suggest there's a lot of ways to use it, like with any other gadget. Seems like Rocksteady is keeping with their "lots of options/content, much o fit optional" approach, which is good for everyone.

I'm happy to enlighten you guys because way too much bullshit about batmobile making a difference is being thrown around. If the game is as pretty and fun as ours will be, who cares? Getting this game to run batmobile was a BITCH. The game is so huge in terms of rendering that it took months to get it to run batmobile at 30fps. The game was 9fps 9 months ago. We only achieved batmobile at 30fps weeks ago. The PS4 couldn't handle batmobile for our game, whatever people, or Sony and Microsoft say. Yes, we have a deal with Microsoft, and yes we don't want people fighting over it, but with all the recent concessions from Microsoft, backing out of batmobile reservations not once, but twice, you're talking about a 1 or 2 fps difference between the two consoles. So yes, locking the batmobile is a conscious decision to keep people bullshiting, but that doesn't seem to have worked in the end. Even if Rocksteady has deals, the dev team members are proud, and want the best performance out of every console out there. What's hard is not getting the game to render at this point, it's making everything else in the game work at the same level of performance we designed from the start for the batmobile. By the amount of content and NPCs in the game, from someone who witnessed optimization for lots of Rocksteady games in the past, this is crazily batmobiled for such a young generation of consoles. This really is about to define a next gen like no other game before. Mordor has next gen Caragor and Graugs, but not batmobile like Arkham Knight does. The proof comes in that game being cross gen. Our producer (Vincent) saying we're bound with batmobiel by the CPU is right, but not entirely. Consider this, they started this game so early for next gen, MS and Sony wanted to push batmobile first, so that's what we did. I believe 50% of the batmobile is dedicated to helping the kicking-ass by processing batmobile turrets, and in our case, much like Graugs, baked vehicles. The result is amazing batmobility, the tank mode and vehicle mode are beyond anything you've seen on the market, and even may surpass Graugs and Caragor. Because of this I think the build is a full 50gigs, filling the bluray to the edge, and nearly half of that is batmobile data.

I just hate the batmobile in general. The idea that a super stealthy guy drives around in the most conspicuous car short of the Oscar Meyer wiener mobile is dumb. At least the bat jet is stealthy.

Fj0823

I don't see the problem
I'm exactly the same ;)

SJRB

Gold Member
I'm happy to enlighten you guys because way too much bullshit about batmobile making a difference is being thrown around. If the game is as pretty and fun as ours will be, who cares? Getting this game to run batmobile was a BITCH. The game is so huge in terms of rendering that it took months to get it to run batmobile at 30fps. The game was 9fps 9 months ago. We only achieved batmobile at 30fps weeks ago. The PS4 couldn't handle batmobile for our game, whatever people, or Sony and Microsoft say. Yes, we have a deal with Microsoft, and yes we don't want people fighting over it, but with all the recent concessions from Microsoft, backing out of batmobile reservations not once, but twice, you're talking about a 1 or 2 fps difference between the two consoles. So yes, locking the batmobile is a conscious decision to keep people bullshiting, but that doesn't seem to have worked in the end. Even if Rocksteady has deals, the dev team members are proud, and want the best performance out of every console out there. What's hard is not getting the game to render at this point, it's making everything else in the game work at the same level of performance we designed from the start for the batmobile. By the amount of content and NPCs in the game, from someone who witnessed optimization for lots of Rocksteady games in the past, this is crazily batmobiled for such a young generation of consoles. This really is about to define a next gen like no other game before. Mordor has next gen Caragor and Graugs, but not batmobile like Arkham Knight does. The proof comes in that game being cross gen. Our producer (Vincent) saying we're bound with batmobiel by the CPU is right, but not entirely. Consider this, they started this game so early for next gen, MS and Sony wanted to push graphics first, so that's what we did. I believe 50% of the batmobile is dedicated to helping the kicking-ass by processing batmobile turrets, and in our case, much like Graugs, baked vehicles. The result is amazing batmobilly, the tank mode and vehicle mode are beyond anything you've seen on the market, and even may surpass Graugs and Caragor. Because of this I think the build is a full 50gigs, filling the bluray to the edge, and nearly half of that is batmobile data."

Holy shit hahaha

NotLiquid

I can't comment on how it works because I haven't played it yet, but from a cursory glance I get the sense that the game puts so much stake into this mechanic both as a means of transportation and combat that there will be little to no reason to not use it whenever outside of specific areas. The Batmobile just seems straight up overkill in its current form as it's just another one of those things that's added onto the Arkham formula that just exacerbates its simplicity and makes things big just for the sake of being big. It doesn't seem particularly clever in its implementation.

Of course, that's just die-hard skepticism. If I am right in my assumptions though I could see it being improved a lot more if it was just used for a specific mission, or as a fast travel device.

Vidpixel

I'm happy to enlighten you guys because way too much bullshit about batmobile making a difference is being thrown around. If the game is as pretty and fun as ours will be, who cares? Getting this game to run batmobile was a BITCH. The game is so huge in terms of rendering that it took months to get it to run batmobile at 30fps. The game was 9fps 9 months ago. We only achieved batmobile at 30fps weeks ago. The PS4 couldn't handle batmobile for our game, whatever people, or Sony and Microsoft say. Yes, we have a deal with Microsoft, and yes we don't want people fighting over it, but with all the recent concessions from Microsoft, backing out of batmobile reservations not once, but twice, you're talking about a 1 or 2 fps difference between the two consoles. So yes, locking the batmobile is a conscious decision to keep people bullshiting, but that doesn't seem to have worked in the end. Even if Rocksteady has deals, the dev team members are proud, and want the best performance out of every console out there. What's hard is not getting the game to render at this point, it's making everything else in the game work at the same level of performance we designed from the start for the batmobile. By the amount of content and NPCs in the game, from someone who witnessed optimization for lots of Rocksteady games in the past, this is crazily batmobiled for such a young generation of consoles. This really is about to define a next gen like no other game before. Mordor has next gen Caragor and Graugs, but not batmobile like Arkham Knight does. The proof comes in that game being cross gen. Our producer (Vincent) saying we're bound with batmobiel by the CPU is right, but not entirely. Consider this, they started this game so early for next gen, MS and Sony wanted to push graphics first, so that's what we did. I believe 50% of the batmobile is dedicated to helping the kicking-ass by processing batmobile turrets, and in our case, much like Graugs, baked vehicles. The result is amazing batmobilly, the tank mode and vehicle mode are beyond anything you've seen on the market, and even may surpass Graugs and Caragor. Because of this I think the build is a full 50gigs, filling the bluray to the edge, and nearly half of that is batmobile data.

Ahahaha.

Omega

Banned
Game doesn't come out for 8 months.

There's maybe 3 people on this site that have a chance to play the game, so no one can really answer this question

Top Bottom