• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arkham Knight Batmobile haters: What would make it satisfactory (w/o removing it)?

Gleethor

More combat options that don't involve charging up your energy meter. I'm surprised that you can't use the winch in combat to pull down helicopter drones.
Edit: yeah it really does seem like the tank is the problem more so than actually driving, although they could stand to improve the handling just a bit since not everyone who plays batman games is used to racing games.

Skilletor

Bump, now that people have played the game.

It's forced on you way too much and enough to knock my own personal opinion of the game down two or three points, which is a shame, since everything else about the game is amazing.

I HATE how contrived the instances in which you're forced to use the thing are. I hate tank battles. I trailing missions.

I hate it as much as I thought I would, but not enough to make me quit playing the rest of the game which I think is fantastic.

It's forced on you way too much and enough to knock my own personal opinion of the game down two or three points, which is a shame, since everything else about the game is amazing.

I HATE how contrived the instances in which you're forced to use the thing are. I hate tank battles. I trailing missions.

I hate it as much as I thought I would, but not enough to make me quit playing the rest of the game which I think is fantastic.

It's not forced. It's a central mechanic in the game, and of course the world and options must be built around the central mechanics of the game.

If the batmobile is forced, then all the parts where you MUST use line launcher, or the ice grenade in past games are forcing the mechanic.

It would have been really stupid to just have the batmobile there.

I think gameplay wise it's perfectly competent. Only problem is it feels way too gamey and incongruent in a Batman game. Like running people over, and they get shocked and fly away...really? Looks ridiculous lol.

Skilletor

It's not forced. It's a central mechanic in the game, and of course the world and options must be built around the central mechanics of the game.

If the batmobile is forced, then all the parts where you MUST use line launcher, or the ice grenade in past games are forcing the mechanic.

It would have been really stupid to just have the batmobile there.

Yeah, totally makes sense that I've got to race around a race track Riddler built to save catwoman.

And I would say those instances were forced, but they weren't forced on you as much as the batmobile is.

Filth

I still can't believe how their were no crazy boss fights. Like I was 4 hours into the game saying to myself where are the bosses? Then 60 % of the game done I guess their aren't any. It's just bat mobile tank. :(

Yeah, totally makes sense that I've got to race around a race track Riddler built to save catwoman.

And I would say those instances were forced, but they weren't forced on you as much as the batmobile is.

Serprens007 said what I was going to say — it's a gadget, "forced" upon you like any other gadget or move required to advance through the story. It's like five gadgets in one, so it really isn't forced on the player any more than any other required gameplay input throughout the game. It's no more intrusive than any of the logic/spatial puzzles of past games. Beyond some overly long and/or overly restrictive normal tank battles, it's about as good as it could have ever been, something that was evident in all the design docs pre-release.

If you truly hate it, then the dozen times you need to use it throughout the main game will be excruciating ... but the longest one lasts four minutes, maybe? Even the 1 vs. 60 fight took me 2 and a half minutes, tops. It's crazy to me that someone's experience can be so soured by what amounts to some breaks from the predator and combat gameplay we've gotten in spades in this game alone.

Taking advantage of there being another thread about the Batmobile to (hopefully) get some people's ideas as to how it could be implemented in a way they'd be satisfied with — the other thread doesn't seem to be about that, and since the game's out now, we can get some much better feedback.

Top Bottom