• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arkham Origins "no plans on releasing another patch" DLC to take priority

Yeah I've been waiting around to play this. I bought it Day One on 360 and never was able to beat it because of the crashing/corrupted saves.. So got my refund the next day and said I'll just buy it when it's fixed. Guess that's not happening anytime soon. WB Montreal for shame

I'm guessing that these guys won't be making another Batman.

vg260

Pretty surprising they'd actually just say that straight up, pretty embarrassing.

A lot of times the devs say things like that because it's the most they can say to make it known that they aren't being given the ability to work on it by the publisher. For example, for inquiries about further patches for MK and Injustice ports, High Voltage replied with:
"Due to the popularity of the title, our inbox is overwhelmingly full with great feedback at the moment. And while we are genuinely appreciative and interested in your input, we are the developer (read: worker bees) and not the publisher (read: boss). "
Likely the same scenario here, and important to note who is making the call.

Even if this was Rocksteady, if WB doesn't allow them to work on the game, it's out of their hands.

I said damn.

Seems like that community manager isn't very good at his job. :p

I disagree. What else are they supposed to say? If that's the status, then props to them for being straightforward. Don't shoot the messenger. The community manager isn't making the development decisions.

One way to ensure I won't buy from warner bros. again. from their point of view I wonder why they bothered making this statement at all.

When did acceptance and apathy to this kind of bullshit happen? 'Gamers' have this reputation about being passionate about their past time, yet things like this seem to happen and we all go 'that's terrible' before moving on to read a new thread.
The #NoDRM movement was a fantastic moment, not because it may have changed Sony's mind about their stance on DRM for the PS4, but because gamers gathered together for a common cause. They finally said 'enough is enough' and made it clear what was and what wasn't acceptable.

Here we have a publisher, perhaps the first to openly admit what appears to becoming pretty common practice, say they're not going to patch the game (which they admit is broken) because they're working on DLC. Granted last year DICE (Battlefield developers) put all DLC on hold until the base game was fixed, yet this again adds to the feeling that there are more and more computer games being released with poor Q&A measures and gaming breaking bugs.

Has it got to the point where developers and publishers feel that they can 'get away with it'?

That they can simply release a game to hit a quarterly financial mark and perhaps patch so it works some point down the line?

Why do we accept this as gamers?

ramuh

That's pretty digusting. Wouldn't you have different parts of team do different things. Like one team does DLC, the other Technical Support? Doesn't make any sense to just drop all support to focus on DLC. :/

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
This is absolutely disgusting.

I skipped this game because it obviously wasn't worth $60 at launch and will definitely refrain from ever picking it, or any other WBM title up in the future.

Septy

I don't see what difference it would make if Rocksteady was the developer, these kind of calls are made by the publisher, WB.

JohngPR

I disagree. What else are they supposed to say? If that's the status, then props to them for being straightforward. Don't shoot the messenger. The community manager isn't making the development decisions.

If that's the message, then that's the message. It's worded poorly though. If I was WB Games The Publisher, I'd be face palming right now whether that was literal intentions of not fixing the bugs or not.

At least he was honest I guess? LOL

Skunkers

To be honest, this doesn't entirely surprise me. It's something you kind of expect from some these companies unless they outright issue a statement that they aren't doing it (like DICE did); I don't have any doubt plenty of other devs unfortunately have to adopt this policy sometime after release. What is not expected is for them to outright admit it.

DomLando

I was waiting until they fixed the save corruption bug until I went back and played the game. Now that they aren't going to address that, what's the best way to get through the game on 360 without having your save corrupted?

vg260

If that's the message, then that's the message. It's worded poorly though. If I was WB Games The Publisher, I'd be face palming right now whether that was literal intentions of not fixing the bugs or not.

At least he was honest I guess? LOL

I think it's worded fine, actually. It's straightforward, and tells people exactly what the situation is. If WB is upset with a non-embellished factual statement, than they're even crappier than this makes them sound. It's sad to me if a publisher would be upset about a community manager being honest with customers about their development status. Good for the community manager in this case.

SJRB

Gold Member
When did acceptance and apathy to this kind of bullshit happen? 'Gamers' have this reputation about being passionate about their past time, yet things like this seem to happen and we all go 'that's terrible' before moving on to read a new thread.
The #NoDRM movement was a fantastic moment, not because it may have changed Sony's mind about their stance on DRM for the PS4, but because gamers gathered together for a common cause. They finally said 'enough is enough' and made it clear what was and what wasn't acceptable.

Here we have a publisher, perhaps the first to openly admit what appears to becoming pretty common practice, say they're not going to patch the game (which they admit is broken) because they're working on DLC. Granted last year DICE (Battlefield developers) put all DLC on hold until the base game was fixed, yet this again adds to the feeling that there are more and more computer games being released with poor Q&A measures and gaming breaking bugs.

Has it got to the point where developers and publishers feel that they can 'get away with it'?

That they can simply release a game to hit a quarterly financial mark and perhaps patch so it works some point down the line?

The problem is that the transaction has already happened, we can't protest by not buying the game. Origins released 4 months ago, most people who were interested in this game have purchased it already. The publisher has the money and for some reason we're in a situation where fixing a broken game has become a courtesy instead of a necessity.

The gaming press needs to take point in this, since consumers can't.

liquidtmd

Banned
This can't be the quote in full....can it?

CONTEXT GAF, TELL ME THIS STATEMENT HAS CONTEXT IM MISSING?!?

'Yeah bugs, glitches, meh - we making DLC now, fuck you'????

At a certain point every developer stops addressing bugs and focuses on other things. They should have just never said anything, that way they wouldn't be facing the backlash here.

Goon Boon

Banned
I wish Microsoft or Sony would man up and just say "we're not approving this dlc until the games in a proper state".

rvy

Banned
They should be sued, actually. They sold a product that's faulty, acknowledge it's faultiness and are going to release new content as opposed to fixing it.

The problem is that the transaction has already happened, we can't protest by not buying the game. Origins released 4 months ago, most people who were interested in this game have purchased it already. The publisher has the money and for some reason we're in a situation where fixing a broken game has become a courtesy instead of a necessity.

Yeah, I totally understand that. Yet, I think that's part of the problem - 'the gaming press' need to do something. Has anyone bought this to their attention? Are they part of the problem due to the way the industry has seemingly propped them up with exclusives and money incentives?

If they rat out Warner Bros. will they be blacklisted for future releases?

I wonder if people could claim refunds for this, since it seems to have been poorly supported since release with the developer apparently admitting that game breaking/progress stopping bugs will not be looked at currently.

vg260

At a certain point every developer stops addressing bugs and focuses on other things. They should have just never said anything, that way they wouldn't be facing the backlash here.

Yeah, maybe that's better for them, but I'd prefer not to be lied to or strung along, and know exactly what's going on. If they get backlash, then good. It should motivate them to change their policies. They deserve backlash either way if there are significant issues not being fixed.

I was waiting until they fixed the save corruption bug until I went back and played the game. Now that they aren't going to address that, what's the best way to get through the game on 360 without having your save corrupted?

I suspect the issue is that the game auto-saves at odd moments, and if you turn off the console whilst it's doing this it'll corrupt. Try quitting back to the main menu before turning the machine off.

liquidtmd

Banned
Yeah, I totally understand that. Yet, I think that's part of the problem - 'the gaming press' need to do something. .

What they need to do is actually ask some serious fucking questions or shove this quote in their face when WB Montreal invite them to pimp their next title.

Odds of happening: Zero

CompC

Do they need another patch? When I played it on PC I had absolutely no issues with it at all. It ran perfectly.

bill0527

From the Arkham Origins community manager

http://community.wbgames.com/t5/Sup...-possibility/m-p/122949/highlight/true#M15908

Such a damn shame as I am currently locked out of completing a couple of sidequests on my new game plus file. I have read plenty of forum posts of people having similar problems that have not been resolved after numerous patches. I was a damn fool and bought the season pass too so they already got my money.

Reasons like this are why the used game market MUST find a way to survive. These assholes don't deserve a single fucking penny of anyone's money. Can't be bothered to fix stuff because they've got more shit to sell you.

finley83

Banned
I was already pretty sour on buying AO after that Arkham City DRM debacle... Glad I stayed away now. At least EA held off on BF4 DLC until the major issues are fixed.

They should be sued, actually. They sold a product that's faulty, acknowledge it's faultiness and are going to release new content as opposed to fixing it.

Do you really want to see that? If that happened then there would be grounds for a lawsuit for almost every game that gets created.

belmonkey

I think what he was getting at is that because games with poor QA have been coming out, we should try to nip it in the bud now so it doesn't become even more common practice, and so we don't get more Arkham Origins or BF4's or (insert broken game) that are clearly broken or not ready to be released.

rvy

Banned
Do you really want to see that? If that happened then there would be grounds for a lawsuit for almost every game that gets created.

Most games don't feature game-breaking bugs that are acknowledged by the developers and not fixed via patches.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Do they need another patch? When I played it on PC I had absolutely no issues with it at all. It ran perfectly.

When even the devs recognize there are game-breaking bugs, yes, the game needs a patch.

boltz

Well, you still have the consumers who haven't bought the game yet like me. I was looking at this as a future purchase, but not anymore, not at least until they change their patch plans.

I mean it's one thing to have shitty post launch support, but it's another to state that you no intentions on fixing anything. At least they announced their intentions about it.

Somehow it doesn't seem fair to assume the developers at WB Montreal willingly eschewed properly patching the game in order to work on the DLC.

Why are people saying "screw the devs" again? Not that this is conclusive one way or another, but if something like this was actually decided by the publisher (which seems more likely when it comes to what a dev has to work on), would WB Montreal say "yeah, the publisher is forcing us to screw over fans"? Wouldn't they want to avoid calling them out?

Maybe someone more familiar with dev/publisher relationships could chime in.

Blackage

Omg there's no winning with you people.

PR talk - "Why don't you just admit to x y or z!"
Straight talk - "How dare they admit x y or z!"

(I kid obviously), but I do find it interesting they just straight up said they aren't gonna bother to fix it, AND told the public that.

Madness

Lol, this is hilarious. We're not going to fix the problems many of you have said on the forums, instead were going full steam ahead with our DLC efforts to get more money. The fact they even said this, I'm guessing will turn off the majority of gamers.

Moongazer

It's sad really, how it became such an accepted practice within the industry and that it is occurring with more frequency. I won't be buying anything from a publisher that treats it's customers this way. If your game is broken on release you have an obligation to fix it and not shove dlc down our throats instead.

I'm getting sick of getting incomplete, broken games where it's all too easy for the dev/publisher to just promise a patch later and never follow through with fixing their games because they already got your money. I'll be thinking twice before I buy any games from WB now.

Layell

I heard Wii U version had far less bugs than PS3+360. That's why I bought it too (can't play it currently).

I beat the main game and a ton of side missions on Wii U and never encountered any game breaking bugs but oh boy was it an adventure for the ages.

-At one point in the game Batman knocks out a villain, he doesn't restrain them or anything of course, then in like the literal next room you're told he got up and escaped. I happened to be stuck on the platforming so I went back to the previous room to see if I missed something and low and behold the guys body was still there even though the game told me he escaped.

-I'm glad they didn't use the inventory system that Arkham City on Wii U used but they could have taken a hint from some of that and put the menu on the pad screen. If you want to play off-screen you need to see it on the TV. So if someone is already watching TV you need to bother them to switch and put the game in off-screen. Pad map is fantastic as usual.

-There are just tons and tons of graphical glitches everywhere in this game, at one point in the finale of a side mission you end up in a club and somehow at the end there was a clone of the club owner cowering in the corner.

My gameplay experience was pretty smooth, no memorable bugs. In fact this game rates over AA for me overall and AC in the story department. But a shitty attitude to have.

Water

And here I thought one of the main selling points of console gaming was that games at least work to the point of being playable. Platform owners should be watching stuff like this and adjusting their carrots and sticks as appropriate, maybe dropping the cost of patching.

Props to the PR guy for not bullshitting, but the delivery of that message was bad. At least explain how rare the issues are, so people have some basis of understanding why they don't patch, and throw a bone to the people affected (some kind of compensation).

Tagg9

I have to give props to Ubisoft for not doing this - they've released countless patches for AC4 that they probably didn't need to. The fact that they've included such extensive post-release support has encouraged me to buy other Ubisoft titles.

Clearly this has the opposite effect on me in terms of WB titles.

JohngPR

I do find it interesting they just straight up said they aren't gonna bother to fix it, AND told the public that.

That's the thing with me. I'm surprised they even said anything. More than anything, it's a shame that the developers aren't being given the time and resources to fix those bugs. Bad customer service on WB Games' part.

Top Bottom