• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arkham Origins "no plans on releasing another patch" DLC to take priority

rvy

Banned
I have to give props to Ubisoft for not doing this - they've released countless patches for AC4 that they probably didn't need to. The fact that they've included such extensive post-release support has encouraged me to buy other Ubisoft titles.

Clearly this has the opposite effect on me in terms of WB titles.

Did you not play AC III? They patched that a lot too. Turns out that it needed like 100% more patching to actually iron out issues. Side-quests were still broken after all the patching as well.

There would be no Bethesda, Obsidian, or Telltale Games then. That's just off the top of my head.

I agree actually, I think it's more likely for all those to no longer exist than for them to ever release a polished product.

Is this just a console specific issue? I've 100% the PC version and only ever encountered that radio tower bug, which was fixed ages ago.

I thought it was a bloody fantastic game.

I had the Radio Tower bug, and the Deadshot bug (punched him through a wall and was unable to complete the boss battle), and thankfully both of those have been fixed.

JohngPR

I played the game on PC and had the Radio Tower Bug and the Bane boss fight bug. I had to wait almost 2 weeks for them to fix it just to play 15 more minutes in order to beat the game . :-\

Esque7

I have this on Wii U and nearly everytime I played I had to hard reset due to freezing or batman would fall through the city. Encountered a few other bugs, like not being able to interrogate a thug after a fight.

TheMan

One of the most disgusting things I've seen come from a company.

really? more disgusting than companies who exploit workers in developing nations while leaving them in abject poverty, or companies that dump chemicals into rivers and lakes and contaminate drinking water for thousands of people, or oil companies that destroy huge swathes of an oceanic ecosystem with each oil spill? more disgusting than those things?

Cabal

really? more disgusting than companies who exploit workers in developing nations while leaving them in abject poverty, or companies that dump chemicals into rivers and lakes and contaminate drinking water for thousands of people, or oil companies that destroy huge swathes of an oceanic ecosystem with each oil spill? more disgusting than those things?

He said "one of the most" not "the most"

Miletius

Yikes. So I should avoid sidequests then? I just got the game for cheap and have been enjoying it, but I don't want to run into something progression blocking because that'll probably ruin my day. If I can play through the main story and not worry about it then I might as well go that route.

2 hours or so in, nothing so far in terms of bug except for one crash when I fought
The Electrocutioner in Penguin's lair for the first time
. So hopefully I'm good?

mileS

I thought most of the progression blocking bugs were fixed? Just curious because I'm running through the game right now on PC. I usually tend to finish a lot of the side stuff before heading to the end of the game.

Is there a list or something of the documented issues in Batman: Arkham Origins cos I played it from start to finish without hitting a single progression stopper and I'm curious as to what the issues are that are affecting people.

Omega

Banned
What the fuck? Why the fuck should anyone continue to support a publisher/developer who prioritizes profit and paid content over stability and functionality of their products?

Fuck these guys. It hasn't affected me and I know it's only a problem for a small number of users but their philosophy is garbage and doesn't sit well with me.

o_O

Someone on the internet that doesn't take the "This issue doesn't effect me, so clearly that means it's not a problem" stance?

Are you even human?

They should continue to support it, I think it sad because I thought the actual game was very good, just riddled with bugs and poor support :(

jimi_dini

This can't be the quote in full....can it?

CONTEXT GAF, TELL ME THIS STATEMENT HAS CONTEXT IM MISSING?!?

'Yeah bugs, glitches, meh - we making DLC now, fuck you'????

The context is: They want more money and they don't give a shit about their customers. See? Explains everything.

Omega

Banned
Also, I think I'm just starting to realize how scummy Warner Bros is. With this issue, and them selling characters during the Infinite Crisis beta, then removing purchased characters when they did a system wipe.

Instead of focusing on what new titles perform at 1080p/60FPS on consoles, gamers need to take a stand against this company.

While I'm not naive enough to think publishers/devs are in it because they love us, most of them don't openly show "Fuck you, give me money" (to quote Angry Joe). Even EA put DLC on hold to fix Battlefield, right?

koutoru

It's funny to think that there was actually a time when you released a game and that was it.

No DLC, no chance to even patch the game so you had to make sure you did it right the first time.

And now we've gotten to this point, were you can release a buggy game and have DLC take priority over fixing the game.

....I feel old.

I played the game on PC about a month or two ago and hit a game breaking bug 8 HOURS into the game.

Fell through the damn level right at a checkpoint so it continually loaded me falling whenever I tried to restart.

At least Bethesda games allow me to have multiple save files. Never had a Fallout or Elder Scrolls game funk up to the point where I had to completely restart.

So yeah, fuck these devs and I will avoid buying anything from them again. Bring back the greatness to Batman, Rocksteady. Please!

JABEE

There would be no Bethesda, Obsidian, or Telltale Games then. That's just off the top of my head.

Games media forget as they give these games GOTY awards, because they played the version their PR friends gave them precisely because that specific version of the game lacks game-breaking bugs.

No one in the Games Press knew the PS3 version of Oblivion was unplayable, because they were too busy playing the 360 version of the game their PR contact sent them. They were too busy playing ball. They were too busy waiting 3 months to publish a story about the problem, because it was deemed long enough to not impact the sales momentum of the game.

It probably has more to do with willful ignorance than anything else.

Cabal

so it comes close to those things?

I don't know, I'm not him. Maybe it does for him?

His comment may be hyperbole in some sense(maybe not I have no idea), but what is your point? There are injustices in the world, we get it. But you basically ripped into the guy over making a statement that this is a bad thing. No one seems to care about how he phrased it except for you.

I'm going to be honest, releasing a broken product knowingly then not fixing it, is one of the worst things a company can do. I don't think he's wrong for saying that...

Naminator

Banned
Dude get a grip, you know very well what he means. What point are you even trying to make?

The point that unless you are in absolute worst situation imaginable then you have to right to complain.

It pretty much comes down to "You think you have it bad? Well think of the starving children in Africa and then tell me you have it bad!" every fucking time.

OF COURSE developers not fixing their game is not as bad as fucking oil spills, corporate corruption, cancer, poverty, and starvation(and what ever other horseshit you want to add to the list), but when it comes to our little gaming sphere, it's fucking HORRIBLE!

They were better off not opening their mouths AT ALL! Saying that they will not even bother trying to fix the game they sold to us because they'd rather focus of selling us more shit for that same broken game? Are you kidding me? How can anyone possibly even try to damage control this!

Disgraceful.

Fair enough they have to work on the DLC, but that doesn't mean they should stop patching the game. They know full well they released a game with numerous technical issues to meet a deadline and to now just throw up their hands and say 'we're done' is beyond disgusting...

probably has more to do with willful ignorance than anything else.
More likely it has more to do with lack of time/manpower/money.

Playing through one version of a game already takes a lot of time to review (especially if it's a 100+ hour Bethesda game). Fully playing through every version of every game just isn't viable for these sites. At best they'll play it all the way through on one system and play a few hours of each other version to get a basic performance comparison. And also reviews can only review a game based on their own experience. If they happened to not run into a major bug, they won't be able to know if there ARE major bugs until a larger amount of people have played it. For example, across oblivion, skyrim, and fallout 3,ive had one bug that has gotten in the way of progressing in the game, but thankfully there was a weird fix for it in Oblivion.

As far as not reporting about issues for a while, that's definitely a failure if that did occur.

I am selling my PS3 on the first half of March. I hope this story DLC comes out before that time. This still no announcement thing is really worrying me

Disgraceful.

Fair enough they have to work on the DLC, but that doesn't mean they should stop patching the game. They know full well they released a game with numerous technical issues to meet a deadline and to now just throw up their hands and say 'we're done' is beyond disgusting...

What do they have to do in order to release a patch for the game? Doesn't it cost money to release patches on XBL?

What do they have to do in order to release a patch for the game? Doesn't it cost money to release patches on XBL?

Didn't MS drop the fee for patches some time ago?

Even if they didn't, it's not like they are a small developer who can't afford to work on and release a patch. It's Warner Bros for goodness sake...

There's really no acceptable reason that I can think of for them to say they won't be patching the game any more. It's not like the game won't see a renewed interest when they release the DLC and the eventual GOTY edition. To continue to sell a game they know has issues and to refuse to patch them is disgusting.

XOMTOR

One way to ensure I won't buy from warner bros. again. from their point of view I wonder why they bothered making this statement at all.

After the fiasco that was the launch of the PC version of Arkham City, I vowed not to touch the next iteration of the franchise and I haven't. Warner Bros. is a terrible publisher that doesn't deserve my money. From what I've read about Origins, I'm not missing much. Plenty of other games to play anyway.

Tybolt

Banned
The Wii U version of Arkham City apparently had a save corruption bug on multiple playthroughs of the Harley Quinn DLC that as far as I'm aware also went completely neglected by WB.

Whatever happened to games being done the first time around? We had entire gaming generations where even buggy games at least remained playable, none of this critical save-wiping, progress stopping, system-freezing bullshit.

Gross.

I hope Rocksteady is working on something other than Arkham 4, because WB just destroyed any good will I had towards the franchise.

Cabal

The Wii U version of Arkham City apparently had a save corruption bug on multiple playthroughs of the Harley Quinn DLC that as far as I'm aware also went completely neglected by WB.

Whatever happened to games being done the first time around? We had entire gaming generations where even buggy games at least remained playable, none of this critical save-wiping, progress stopping, system-freezing bullshit.

Games are much more complex now. I don't think that's an excuse for not at least trying to fix these types of bugs, but I also think catching all of these bugs before release is near impossible without endless QA/testing.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Games are much more complex now. I don't think that's an excuse for not at least trying to fix these types of bugs, but I also think catching all of these bugs before release is near impossible without endless QA/testing.

Teams are much bigger now. The industry is much bigger now. There's far more money to be made. Games should be very polished day zero, without a launch day patch.

DerpAlert

Neo Member
Does this admission of a defective product and the unwillingness to fix it provide a legal ground for full refunds? Of course every country has different laws on this, but here in Australia and Europe seem to have pretty good consumer protection laws.

DVCY201

Waiting for it to price drop on Wii U after hearing that they were cancelling the DLC and now this. I'm honestly surprised WB is not getting more flack from this. If anything it speaks volumes about their integrity. I mean, who sells you a Season Pass and then cancels it later on? This is why I will never buy a Season Pass, I'm literally paying for a promise.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I have this on Wii U and nearly everytime I played I had to hard reset due to freezing or batman would fall through the city. Encountered a few other bugs, like not being able to interrogate a thug after a fight.

I've encountered some of those bugs as well on Wii U. As long as it remains one of the eligible "trade 2 games and get any new one for $9.99" titles by the end of the month I'll probably trade it for Thief or DK.

Glad I didn't buy any dlc. Can't support this attitude.

nullref

Teams are much bigger now. The industry is much bigger now. There's far more money to be made. Games should be very polished day zero, without a launch day patch.

Are you willing to pay twice as much for a game, and wait twice as long for it to be released? Even if you are, most people aren't.

The reality is that as software complexity increases, the time and effort required to make it bug-free skyrockets, and may not be realistic for a software project of the scale of a modern game. The consumer market will not bear those costs, but still demands increasingly complex features, so some compromise of cost-to-bug-free-ness is implicitly reached. (Some companies will be better at pulling this off than others, of course.)

Cost-is-no-object perfection + highly complex software gets reserved for things like space shuttle systems. That's not to say you shouldn't demand a functional, quality product for your money -- but it's better to be realistic about demanding things like "no launch day patch".

I can assure you Warner Bros has no shortage of money.

WB, not WB Montreal (the developers)?

Didn't MS drop the fee for patches some time ago?

Even if they didn't, it's not like they are a small developer who can't afford to work on and release a patch. It's Warner Bros for goodness sake...

There's really no acceptable reason that I can think of for them to say they won't be patching the game any more. It's not like the game won't see a renewed interest when they release the DLC and the eventual GOTY edition. To continue to sell a game they know has issues and to refuse to patch them is disgusting.

WB Games Montreal, Origins' developer, has only worked on the Wii U port of Arkham City and then Origins.

From what little I've gleaned from reading about publisher/developer relations, the decisions involving what the developers work on tend to be dictated by the publisher, except with the biggest design studios. If someone who knows more about that kind of process, it'd be great if they could chime in.

Chastising WB Games Montreal for this decision seems misdirected, unless we know for sure they made this decision on their own accord. And even if they say it's their decision, they're not going to outright say "Warner Bros. made us do this; blame them" because that would just make things worse for them.

Top Bottom