• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARM Linux now natively runs Nintendo Switch binaries

nocsi

So it's like WINE but for Switch :pie_thinking: SINE?

That's really neat. I expect the Yuzu community will be all over this.
Kinda but better and actually native. The patching is all done before hand, so all the CPU execution is native now. GPU is like yuzu still. But you’ll be able to run breath of wild as natively, no wine wrapper.

supernova8

Banned
Over the past while, I’ve worked on-and-off in my free time patching the arm64 Linux kernel to run Nintendo Switch games natively, i.e. by taking many of the Switch’s “Horizon” OS system calls and implementing their behavior using Linux’s existing facilities for memory management, scheduling, synchronization, etc.
Software engineers are seriously like wizards, and I love how this dude is so low-key about it.
"Oh yeah just in my free time here and there, saving the world, fighting dragons".
"One time I accidentally slipped and banged my head. Woke up and I'd made a fully functioning quantum computer."

Last edited:

Smasher89

So do i get this right, given that the software gets opengl updated, there is a chance for it running switch games even better on the steam deck?

Holammer

No GIF
lord-of-the-rings-no.gif

So it can run Tetris on mac os with but without gpu acceleration, unless you buy a different chip /device , did I miss something here?
If so that is cool for raspberry pie type devices but don't know why mac people are rejoicing.

As a pc guy, this seems kinda odd. Why are you still on old opengl and no vulkan support? My x86 pc and steam deck has all of that already.
Is mac os that terrible on arm that it doesn't have native support for modern gpu apis (i get no directX, but openGL and vulkan should be standard by now).

Jinzo Prime

So it can run Tetris on mac os with but without gpu acceleration, unless you buy a different chip /device , did I miss something here?
If so that is cool for raspberry pie type devices but don't know why mac people are rejoicing.

As a pc guy, this seems kinda odd. Why are you still on old opengl and no vulkan support? My x86 pc and steam deck has all of that already.
Is mac os that terrible on arm that it doesn't have native support for modern gpu apis (i get no directX, but openGL and vulkan should be standard by now).
Mac OS doesn't support Vulcan because Apple insists that devs use their own API called Metal. It's dumb, and it's holding Mac gaming back.

Top Bottom