• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ArmA 3 Announced

Sethos

Banned
I'm aware of OFP's history. As you say they are part and parcel of the franchise which is why they will be discussed a lot. You may as well whine about people discussing bugs in a Fallout or Elder Scrolls thread. Suck it up.

And as for "go play something else". What's that apart from an attempt to avoid acknowledging any of the game's problems and jam your fingers in your ears? Go play what else? There aren't any other games like it, that's why he wants the next game to have at least some of its problems fixed so it can reach its potential instead of being a hit or miss experience. The way you so quickly dismissed all his points out of hand only makes you appear super defensive.

Except this game is what you'd consider borderline niche in the gaming market, unlike anything Bethesda puts out. So those threads also have a healthy discussion concerning the game that can drown out all the bullshit. This game doesn't have such a following, especially not on NeoGaf. So every thread concerning this game, is whatever news there is, 3-4 people interested and then just the same people shitting up the thread with their same old bullshit over and over again. That may be difficult for you to understand how annoying that gets.

The game has remained very much the same, all the sweet with a bit of salt over the years and it won't change. Most people who play Bohemia Interactive games have come to realise that and just enjoy the game. Obviously people want bug-fixing and a smooth experience but everyone also knows what owning their games mean - Waiting for patches and relying on the mod community.

And it's fun you just pop by and make some great assumptions, seeing as you are apparently quite new around here. As I said above, this isn't the first time certain individuals will shit up a thread and no, I don't believe that is the 'Gaf way of behaving around here - There are limits. So when the same individuals, time and time again just repeat themselves in EVERY. SINGLE. ARMA thread about the EXACT. SAME. ISSUES and just crap all over the thread, it gets boring and makes me wonder why people even post in them or play the game, for that matter.

demolitio

The graphical improvements are nice and all that, but they mean nothing if the game isn't optimized at launch again. I'd settle for low settings just to have it run smoothly and it took a looooonnggg time for ArmA 2 to get optimized enough to play. I was one of those lucky people that had the bug where my FPS was the same no matter what setting or resolution it was on so I'd only have 22-23 FPS no matter what.

I'm now playing the shit out of the game after my new PC handles it well enough so I'll never know what the problem was on the old one since it wasn't a weak system at all and definitely not weak enough to struggle on low setting at like cell phone resolutions...lol

If anyone wants to do some ArmA 2 coop or anything, add "demolitio2" on Steam. I'm now catching up and having a blast, but I can't find any good custom air missions besides Carrier Operations: Duala. I'd love to see some more air missions if anyone has any. I need to learn the scenario editor clearly... :p

Sethos

Banned
The graphical improvements are nice and all that, but they mean nothing if the game isn't optimized at launch again. I'd settle for low settings just to have it run smoothly and it took a looooonnggg time for ArmA 2 to get optimized enough to play. I was one of those lucky people that had the bug where my FPS was the same no matter what setting or resolution it was on so I'd only have 22-23 FPS no matter what.

I'm now playing the shit out of the game after my new PC handles it well enough so I'll never know what the problem was on the old one since it wasn't a weak system at all and definitely not weak enough to struggle on low setting at like cell phone resolutions...lol

If anyone wants to do some ArmA 2 coop or anything, add "demolitio2" on Steam. I'm now catching up and having a blast, but I can't find any good custom air missions besides Carrier Operations: Duala. I'd love to see some more air missions if anyone has any. I need to learn the scenario editor clearly... :p

I think they learned their lesson after the release of Operation Arrowhead. ArmA 2 also had the usual rough start and slowly reached a point where it ran completely smooth for almost everything. Then OA dropped and it felt like a huge percentage of the players were back to square one, performance wise. They got a bit of a backlash over that. In the following months they made some strides in hardware optimization / utilization, plus improved their various features already in-place. Hopefully they will make good use of that with the new iteration of the Engine.

what about modes,do they have a no respawn mode?

Yeah, number of lives can usually be selected before you start whatever map you have, none, 1, 2, 3, unlimited or whatever is set in the config. It's also very dependant on the map,
most maps you play online are community made so it can very greatly. ArmA isn't exactly your bog standard FPS with 10-15 maps and a certain amount of standard game-modes. Everything is basically
built from the map editior where you can make any combat scenario you can think of on a huge map. It's kinda hard to explain.

However the public multiplayer tends to die down fairly quickly because the game gets fragmented SO quickly. Each server uses a few addons here you might not have, different versions etc.

The core experience of ArmA is in mil-sim oriented clans for sure, they also tend to have versus nights with huge combat scenarios.

gabbo

I know the Arma games are more about multiplayer, but any word on whether the campaign will be any better in 3 than 2?

Sethos

Banned
I know the Arma games are more about multiplayer, but any word on whether the campaign will be any better in 3 than 2?

According to BIS, it will be. Through several interviews and announcement, they've said it's a bigger focus. More dynamic, more tight experience and some new gameplay features as well - Believe I heard stealing enemy uniforms, stuff like that. Also RPG-esque elements where completing bonus objectives would give you additional stuff, like weapons, reinforcement, help etc. Then again, probably have to play it before I believe it :p

James-Ape

show some balls, man

I really hope they keep a lot of focus on the campaign. I thought 2 was much better than 1 for this.

The news screenshots look great.

gabbo

According to BIS, it will be. Through several interviews and announcement, they've said it's a bigger focus. More dynamic, more tight experience and some new gameplay features as well - Believe I heard stealing enemy uniforms, stuff like that. Also RPG-esque elements where completing bonus objectives would give you additional stuff, like weapons, reinforcement, help etc. Then again, probably have to play it before I believe it :p

I'm more worried about teammate AI and the voice commands (and the freaky head/neck bugs), but that's good to hear. Will cautiously approach Arma3 with open arms. I'll probably need a new rig to run it though.

Dwarden

Bohemia Interactive
AI gets improved (it's constant progress see the public OA builds changelog)

animation system got overhaul too, lighting engine is new

voice overs are each release better (see BAF, TOH etc)

FGMPR

Banned
I'm convinced that I'm the only gamer in the world who LOVED Arma 2's single-player campaign (well, maybe not the last level so much). When it clicked, and the AI didn't go completely mental, it was an experience unlike any other I've played. The mini campaign that released with patch 1.05 was amazing as well... it felt like ARMA and STALKER had a baby, and those are two of my favorite games.

Sethos

Banned
By the way, in case people didn't read the latest announcement, the bullet points;

- Game is delayed, allowing them to polish the game, bug-fix etc.
- There will be an Alpha released sometime soon ( Called the 'Community Alpha' )

So they certainly listened to the community.

9fkFh.jpg

AI gets improved (it's constant progress see the public OA builds changelog)

animation system got overhaul too, lighting engine is new

voice overs are each release better (see BAF, TOH etc)

Dwarden, have you reworked the animation system to such an extend, that operating say fixed machine guns the arms will actually follow the machine gun around?

Feature

Banned
This game looks fucking stunning. I liked arma 2 a lot, but didn't like that I couldn't fly a plane / chopper right away though :(

Dwarden

Bohemia Interactive
partly, don't expected fully procedural animations that would need year or more of work ...

more something inbetween old system and fully dynamic one

but there are some major improvements in way how animations work and how transitions are calculated ...

gabbo

By the way, in case people didn't read the latest announcement, the bullet points;

- Game is delayed, allowing them to polish the game, bug-fix etc.
- There will be an Alpha released sometime soon ( Called the 'Community Alpha' )

So they certainly listened to the community.

9fkFh.jpg

Dwarden, have you reworked the animation system to such an extend, that operating say fixed machine guns the arms will actually follow the machine gun around?

That looks awesome, and I'm okay with that delay.

I'm convinced that I'm the only gamer in the world who LOVED Arma 2's single-player campaign (well, maybe not the last level so much). When it clicked, and the AI didn't go completely mental, it was an experience unlike any other I've played. The mini campaign that released with patch 1.05 was amazing as well... it felt like ARMA and STALKER had a baby, and those are two of my favorite games.

I loved the campaign in ARMA 2, its what I wish more FPS would let me play like, I just kept running into game ruining bugs that would force me to load back a save that was hours before hand. I had one instance where the NPC that I talked to and gave me my mission walked off after the conversation ended, problem is that hes not supposed to walk anywhere, hes supposed to stay there.... so hours later when I came back to report to him, I thought he would be there... nope he apparently never stopped walking. Hes probably dead in some forest somewhere *shrug*. So had to reboot the whole chapter. Another I got to the end destination, everyone lived yet the NPC that ended the mission was lying on the ground dead surrounded by his peeps who were all alive.... so I couldn't complete the mission and had to use console to force the mission which doesn't take into account your previous mission choices. So my ending was not really the way I chose to go.

The game had amazing feel of simulation of an actual war, leading large amounts of forces, not being stuck in an action movie. Just doing simple things like driving around and talking to civilians looking for clues or weapons, that felt authentic. Or just having to find a NPC who dynamically travels around the world? That's cool and so much better than a scripted event of going somewhere. Game was great, but it was a frustrating experience. OA didn't have as much troube though at least.

partly, don't expected fully procedural animations that would need year or more of work ...

more something inbetween old system and fully dynamic one

but there are some major improvements in way how animations work and how transitions are calculated ...

Cool, take all the time you guys need.

Shai-Tan

Banned
whatever they're doing the horizon looks cool. and I typically don't like imposed blur from depth of field but they use it intelligently here, really make the elevation pop out

Foffy

Banned
like a boss walking

If the game lets you beat it. I had to use a console cheat code to let the game end since it wouldn't end like it was supposed too.

When did you play last? I thought BIS released a patch at the end of 2011 that fixed the major bugs in the ArmA II campaigns.

When did you play last? I thought BIS released a patch at the end of 2011 that fixed the major bugs in the ArmA II campaigns.

About 6 months ago, was trying to finally beat it after struggling mainly with bugs but even though is succeeded in doing all I was supposed to, the game would simply not end. No idea, I had lot of problems trying to beat it with things stopping me from proceeding such, perhaps my game was fudged up early on because of earlier bugs? In my mind I beat it at least since I did what I was supposd to even though the game wouldn't progess lol

OA ran better from what I played of it, I will try to beat that at some point hopefully, folks say it was smoother experience than vanille Arma2.

Sethos

Banned
A good DoF is going to do wonders for this game. Seems like they've improved their sound engine to take distance into account as well, it's going to make a lot of sound modders happy. They've had to crack that nut through scripting.

A good DoF is going to do wonders for this game. Seems like they've improved their sound engine to take distance into account as well, it's going to make a lot of sound modders happy. They've had to crack that nut through scripting.

My wishlist was:

-Better animations and animation transitions (jury's still out on this!)
-Better physics
-Better voicework
-Better AI
-Better interface

And of course, performance, bugs, etc. Has anything been mentioned about the voicework or interface? I can deal with shit AI, as that can usually be improved with mods.

The voicework in ARMA 2 expansions seemed to get better with each one, so that's promising.

Sethos

Banned
My wishlist was:

-Better physics
-Better voicework
-Better AI
-Better interface

And of course, performance, bugs, etc. Has anything been mentioned about the voicework or interface? I can deal with shit AI, as that can usually be improved with mods.

The voicework in ARMA 2 expansions seemed to get better with each one, so that's promising.

Well, early indications seem the interface is going to be the same ( See GamesCom videos http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zksbVThXmdc&feature=g-all-u&context=G24ce985FAAAAAAAAGAA ) but the game is still a long way out so it could possibly change but considering they've had the same interface since Operation Flashpoint ...

Oh and as a comment to that video, if stealing uniforms is going to be a hitman esque 2 second change, it's going to be the worst addition to this game. Imagine multiplayer ...

Dennis

Banned
My wishlist was:

-Better physics
-Better voicework
-Better AI
-Better interface

ARMA 2 is so weird in that it has almost photorealistic graphics in places but then it also has crappy animation and some very weak effects.

I don't really mind the bad voiceovers.

But hey, of course the game will be janky, its European.

Dibbz

Just recently bought Arma 2 for my new rig and I love the game. Takes a lot out of me though when playing since the game is so immersive. Not the kind of game to pick up and play but it's so good. I'm on the last mission of the campaign but wow it's fucking huge. So much to do :(

I hope the system requirements for Arma 3 are nothing to crazy. Hope an i5, 8gb ram and 560ti 448 will get me by.

saladine1

Man, I really wished that ARMA would make it's way to the consoles. I know it's the inferior way to play the game and that it's a niche market but it would've been good nevertheless.

It would be a nice change of pace from the other in your face run and gun shooters out there.

Sethos

Banned
Wish I could take all those single-player guys with me on some of my old clan ops. 3-4 hour long co-op scenarios and some versus scenarios. This game in a proper milsim clan is like no other game. Especially playing with army guys is beyond sick.

Kabouter

Just recently bought Arma 2 for my new rig and I love the game. Takes a lot out of me though when playing since the game is so immersive. Not the kind of game to pick up and play but it's so good. I'm on the last mission of the campaign but wow it's fucking huge. So much to do :(

I hope the system requirements for Arma 3 are nothing to crazy. Hope an i5, 8gb ram and 560ti 448 will get me by.

This is what they said last E3:
OS – Windows 7 / Vista
CPU – Intel Core i5 or AMD Athlon Phenom X4 or faster
GPU – Nvidia Geforce GTX 260 or ATI Radeon HD 5770, shader Model 3 and 896 MB VRAM, or faster
RAM – 2 GB
HDD – 15 GB free space
DVD – Dual Layer compatible
DirectX® – 10

Marco1

Man, I really wished that ARMA would make it's way to the consoles. I know it's the inferior way to play the game and that it's a niche market but it would've been good nevertheless.

It would be a nice change of pace from the other in your face run and gun shooters out there.

I agree, I really wish MS would pick this up for a xboxnext exclusive. Also work with BI to help them develop it.
But I think the mod community is also a big part of the series and we all know how much MS approves of that on console.

This is what they said last E3:
OS – Windows 7 / Vista
CPU – Intel Core i5 or AMD Athlon Phenom X4 or faster
GPU – Nvidia Geforce GTX 260 or ATI Radeon HD 5770, shader Model 3 and 896 MB VRAM, or faster
RAM – 2 GB
HDD – 15 GB free space
DVD – Dual Layer compatible
DirectX® – 10

salt-mountainjse9j.jpg

Sure, releasing specs a year and a half prior to release probably means that's going to change. Regardless, it's an ArmA game, you are going to have to spend ungodly sums of money to get it running smoothly.

I meant that in the sense that if those end up being the specs on the box, expect much, much more in order to play the game with halfway decent visual fidelity.

Sentenza

Well, early indications seem the interface is going to be the same ( See GamesCom videos http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zksbVThXmdc&feature=g-all-u&context=G24ce985FAAAAAAAAGAA ) but the game is still a long way out so it could possibly change but considering they've had the same interface since Operation Flashpoint ...

Oh and as a comment to that video, if stealing uniforms is going to be a hitman esque 2 second change, it's going to be the worst addition to this game. Imagine multiplayer ...
Well, in one of their videos released few months ago they stated quite clearly that they are working a lot to make the interface way more intuitive and accessible without stripping down any feature.
And they stressed that part quite a lot, so I guess there's at least an effort going on in that sense.

Top Bottom