• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Armband-wearing Nazi roams Seattle instigating, gets KOed, removes armband and leaves

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilentMike03

Neo Member
Video made me smile. Goddamn, what a punch. I will say that I'm confused by some of the people worried about escalation of violence. Like, what do you think Nazi's/white supremacists have been doing this whole time? Holding peaceful sit-ins?

Mael

I'm accepting this nazi behavior as mental illness if we all accept that the KO punch to the chin is a correct therapy.

What mental illness turn people into nazi??

I don't know. Do you?

Nobody knows this guys history, you all don't know anything about him. All I know is he dressed up as a nazi, alone, and went out looking for trouble.

That is at best completely insane behaviour, at worst it is suicidal. I would want professionals to assess this and give him help. Guys spouting off on twitter are not experts.

Meanwhile the guy who punched him could have had his own life ruined very easily.

This is not a "good" situation at any level.

diaspora

I'm the opposite.

To do this, the guy has an obvious mental illness. He could also have been very easily killed by the punch.

Instead of playing twitter vigilante people should inform the police, let them handle the situation and hopefully see that he gets some help.

This whole idea that all police are corrupt nazis is nonsense. The idea that twitter groups should be used to find and publish personal details is kind of frightening.

There is a problem here, punching it away doesn't solve it.
Jesus are you on fucking bath salts or something? He dressed up as a Nazi and went around talking Nazi shit; to assert or explain away racism with mental illness is vile and ableist.

Faustek

Fuck, the mental health brigade is here as well. Please find a big rock outside in nowhere, go lay under it and don't come back until whatever the hell yall on has vanished.

I agree with all of this, though, except the bit about punching people in the face.

He threw a banana at him, he racially harassed him and others. He instigated shit.
What the hell is your damn issue?

You haven't said shit other than some stupid idea that violence is bad.
You have basically ignored everything that has been pointed at you in response to your stupid idea you first vented.
What your end goal here? Sit on your ass while the rest goes to hell?
Because we're only here because people like you have been sitting on their ass saying dumb ass shit for generations now.

Why do people always goto free speech as an argument to support Nazi's? If the guy who punched him gets arrested he's not going to jail for denying someone's free speech. He punched a Nazi and took one for the team. It was a respectable position.

The Nazi used his free speech. He wasn't arrested for it. Free speech is safe. He did bring violence upon himself but that was his choice.

TheContact

I don't know. Do you?

Nobody knows this guys history, you all don't know anything about him. All I know is he dressed up as a nazi, alone, and went out looking for trouble.

That is at best completely insane behaviour, at worst it is suicidal. I would want professionals to assess this and give him help. Guys spouting off on twitter are not experts.

Meanwhile the guy who punched him could have had his own life ruined very easily.

Racism isn't a mental illness; it's an ideology. A sick one. He thought he was tough showing off what a cool Nazi he was, instigating shit, and got taught a lesson.

Alebrije

Mental illness, Casual Nazi, It was the heat of the moment, etc,etc....what's wrong with those people deffending racists.

images

I don't know. Do you?

You understand there are people who do horribly stupid things daily that don't have any kind of mental illness, right

Faustek

Why do people always goto free speech as an argument to support Nazi's? If the guy who punched him gets arrested he's not going to jail for denying someone's free speech. He punched a Nazi and took one for the team. It was a respectable position.

The Nazi used his free speech. He wasn't arrested for it. Free speech is safe. He did bring violence upon himself but that was his choice.

The Nazi did no such thing. He threw a banana at him and racially harassed him and others. That isn't free speech.

Sane_Man

I don't know. Do you?

Every single time we get a thread about a white person doing something awful the same shitty mental health argument comes up. It's so redundant. He's a fucking nazi. He doesn't get the benefit of the doubt. Some people are just cunts and deserve a punch.

I don't know. Do you?

No, attempting to commit suicide is suicidal behaviour. Of the two people I know who have attempted such an act, dressing up like a Nazi and provoking people in the middle of a street was not their method. One was slitting their wrists, the other, overdosing.

I would really appreciate an example you have of a person suffering from suicidal tendencies that displays compulsions to masquerade as a racist murderer.

Mael

You understand there are people who do horribly stupid things daily that don't have any kind of mental illness, right

Mental illness is great because it allows everyone to just move on and never do anything at all.
Shooter on 8th Street? Mental Illness.
that way we don't have to face any kind of hard question and can keep on trucking like never before.
If someone throws the mental illness defense, it's a dogwhistle for not doing anything and keeping the status quo.
The status quo here is violent nazi instigator starting shit in public.

TheContact

Free speech doesn't mean you can say whatever the fuck you want and get away with it. A lot of people don't seem to understand that. Hate speech is not protected under the first amendment.

Pikma

Banned
I don't know. Do you?

That is at best completely insane behaviour, at worst it is suicidal. I would want professionals to assess and give him help. Guys spouting off on twitter are not experts.

Meanwhile the guy who punched him could have had his own life ruined very easily.a

Laughing my fucking ass off over here, you say nobody knows the racist piece of shit's history but proceed to diagnose him

Might as well give him some fucking prescription pills will you're at it

Being a stupid empowered nazi scumbag doesn't equal to a mental illness, no matter how many spins or how hard you try.

Foggy

It's common knowledge that the Charlottesville protest was originally a mass support group for other mentally ill victims. A shame how that turned out.

exfatal

I don't know. Do you?

I know he's a fucking nazi thats for sure.. its obvious your a real piece of work if you going to be playing devil advocate for a nazi.

I just rather see his ass get beat, and im my opinion he got the best medicine for free int he post trump world. More people should start handing out their medicine to these Nazi's/Racist assholes

Chaplain

"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. Instead of diminishing evil, it multiplies it. Through violence you may murder the liar, but you cannot murder the lie, nor establish the truth. Through violence you may murder the hater, but you do not murder hate. In fact, violence merely increases hate. So it goes. Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." (Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.)

Akronis

I was - I have been demodded as a knee-jerk reaction to someone not understanding my point, or not being able to tolerate it. That's fine with me. Anyone who knows me or has read anything I've posted in the past knows that I am not in any way a Nazi sympathiser or apologist. I am, however, a big believer in justice, and that means that I'm going to be against vigilante violence, whether it's against Nazis or not, and whether it's by police, random bystanders or Batman himself.

I thought long and hard before using those words (and before posting in this thread at all), and I did it because what matters isn't necessarily what you or I think about the legitimacy of their position. What matters is that someone has set themselves up as judge, jury and potentially executor in this case. And whether they're right or not is irrelevant. Because if they can set themselves up in that way, even for a righteous cause, other people with differing viewpoints can and will as well. You hate Nazis, right? Of course you do. All right-thinking people do. But there are people who believe that other positions are just as bad. And while it's easy to say that these people are wrong, that doesn't take away from the fact that they believe they're not, with just as much fervour as you believe that Nazis are wrong. And if this punch is justified, then they can feel justified in taking the same approach.

This isn't moral relativism. I'm not saying at any level that these positions are equivalent. What I believe doesn't matter in any of this - what matters is the belief of the people throwing the punch, or swinging the axe, or pulling the trigger, or whatever action they believe is justified.

In fact the way you get rid of moral relativism from the equation is by saying that no, the decision is not one to be taken by individuals; it's to be taken by a firmly established law. Yes, I understand a lot of why this doesn't always happen in the US. That doesn't mean that the 'right' approach is to turn to vigilante violence, though. I can see why it's tempting, and I can understand why people do it and support it (and even why there's a mob reaction against everyone who rejects it). But I can't condone it.

And for everyone criticising me for using the phrase 'political position' to describe Nazism, would you not describe it as an extreme right-wing ideology? Because that's the language of politics. Placing it outside that sometimes is a dangerous move, because it treats it like it's some kind of special case, and it isn't. It's an example of the worst one of the most unpleasant extremes in politics has to offer, and treating it as something separate makes it more difficult to say that other positions in the same part of the political spectrum have many aspects that are just as bad.

How the hell did you get modded in the first place lol wtf is this post.

Arkanius

Mental illness, Casual Nazi, It was the heat of the moment, etc,etc....what's wrong with those people deffending racists.

images

There are ways to not tolerate intolerancy without resorting to mob justice.

We are not defending that his point of views are valid.
We are not defending that he should parade the Swastika freely
We are not defending that he should have a voice or be heard.

Most people are not against the Nazi scum getting what he deserved. We just wish it was the law enforcement, not random citizens.

Monocle

The man in the swastika armband can be heard saying "they deserve the welfare" before he's hit directly in the face by a man in a gray sweatshirt.

The man doesn't get back up. The camera then zooms in on him as a man out of shot says, "night night."
LMAO. I don't advocate unprovoked or excessive violence, but when someone walks around wearing the international symbol for "please crack my nut," and then confirms with their words and actions that they didn't just get turned around on their way to some tasteless costume party, can anyone really object when some conscientious citizen fulfills their request?

ash321

I don't know. Do you?

So he have mental illness, so much so that he have suicidal thought, so he made a plan about what he would do:

"I'll wear a Nazi armband, find a black man, talk down to him, throw a banana peel at him, wait for another man brave enough to not want to put up with this shit and punch the fuck out of me, maybe that will kill me."

I got it guys, maybe black people and minority like us should wear this :

then Racism will go away.

Lesath

"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. Instead of diminishing evil, it multiplies it. Through violence you may murder the liar, but you cannot murder the lie, nor establish the truth. Through violence you may murder the hater, but you do not murder hate. In fact, violence merely increases hate. So it goes. Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." (Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.)

Ooh, I love Dr. King. Here's another one.

"First, I must confess that over the last few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season."

Sunster

Most people are not against the Nazi scum getting what he deserved. We just wish it was the law enforcement, not random citizens.

but hate speech is legal in the US. So what would law enforcement do?

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Washington State law prohibits malicious harassment. Depending on what the KO'd shithead was saying, he could have been arrested. Seems like the county Seattle is in sees 50 of those cases in a year.

Apparently, in about half of those arrests, the suspects are mentally ill, FWIW.

So there is a law, it does lead to convictions, but it is probably in need of improvement in various ways.

Thanks for the info!

blackflag

Mental illness is great because it allows everyone to just move on and never do anything at all.
Shooter on 8th Street? Mental Illness.
that way we don't have to face any kind of hard question and can keep on trucking like never before.
If someone throws the mental illness defense, it's a dogwhistle for not doing anything and keeping the status quo.
The status quo here is violent nazi instigator starting shit in public.

Yes but only if you're white.

The Nazi did no such thing. He threw a banana at him and racially harassed him and others. That isn't free speech.

Sorry, I completely agree with you so I don't think I made my point well.

I was just trying to make a point that the puncher didn't violate any free speech law by punching someone so I'm tired of hearing that as a criticism of punching.

"Summoning MLK doesn't work."

-me

MikeyB

My sentiments too plus a hope that the system can be reformed so that malicious harassment incidents are interpreted more broadly and dealt with faster amd harsher.

cameron

Neat.

And not surprised that you're the one posting it.

M.J. Doja

Banned
I'm sorta okay using "mentally ill" as a dogwhistle to target and identify racists. Kind of like calling somebody a "trump supporter". Totally tongue-in-cheek of course.

Except, mental illness is a real thing, so I'm not going to be offensive just to piss off racists. I'll just call them racists. Seems to anger them enough.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

Ah, yes. We all remember how love made Hitler shoot himself in the head.

WarMacheen

You want to be a Nazi and roam around talking shit to people, then expect to get flattened.

Police handle it: arrested...maybe....probably not

Civilian handle it: More than likely lesson learned, at the very least a message is sent that this shit won't be tolerated

ash321

But the law did not help. That's the problem.

See what the police did here? They ask the guy to remove the armband and sen him away.

zeemumu

I don't know. Do you?

You think it's more likely that he went out with a nazi armband in an attempt to commit suicide by being beaten to death than it is that he's just a racist asshole?

"Oh I guess I cant be a Nazi in public in America without getting punched in the face"

Why do people keep posing this question. That is obviously the desired outcome and it appears to have been effective.

Is that a threat ? He just learn he shouldn't wear a hate symbol on his armband and walking around.

lmao how y'all interpreted that post as anything more than what it said is hilarious.

Dude wears Nazi armband saying stupid shit due to his dumbass worldview
Gets punched violently for it

Now what happens to this person? How does this event affect them going forward? That is literally all I said lol. Don't be so friggin weird.

I don't know. Do you?

It will be the death of an american myth when it comes to people that this is not such a severe deviation from the average american day as it might seem, when it becomes obvious that there is a lot of bad stuff that's not surfacing and entering the social conscious of those privileged enough to consider these events infrequent, aberrant symptoms of a disease that, you know, it's natural that diseases exist and that some are afflicted i guess. And if only we could find the cure and put it on DSM-6.

Mael

Yes but only if you're white.

Well yeah of course, the rest of us aren't real people.
We're just props to serve at the pleasure of white people.
Rights getting denied and people getting killed like turquey for Thanks Giving?
AOK as long as we make sure that even nazi treators who want to destroy the whole world is treated with more decency than the fucking POTUS.

I All I know is he dressed up as a nazi, alone, and went out looking for trouble.

That is at best completely insane behaviour, at worst it is suicidal.

Have you slept right through the last 12 months or so? His behaviour is a direct result of being emboldened by the current political climate in the US.
He's doing it now because he feels safer than he ever has before in displaying his vile ideology.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom