• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Armed group planning a "Draw Muhammad" contest outside Mosque

Status
Not open for further replies.

RiZ III

http://phoenix.suntimes.com/phx-new...rs-will-host-draw-muhammed-contest-at-phoenix

Bikers encouraged to be armed at "Draw Muhammed" contest outside of Phoenix mosque
Written By Scott Sutton Posted: 05/28/2015, 12:21pm

A group of bikers — who have been encouraged to bring guns — is planning on hosting a Muhammed cartoon drawing contest outside of a Phoenix mosque.

What could possibly go wrong?

Jon Ritzheimer, a former Marine and current anti-Islam activist, is the force behind the event, which will be held Friday outside of the Islamic Community Center of Phoenix at 6:15 p.m. local time. Friday just happens to be the Muslim day of communal prayer.

A Facebook page has been created for the event, which is being called “Freedom of Speech Rally Round II.” In the event’s description it says that contest is a “response to the recent attack in Texas.”

That attack happened when anti-Islam activist Pamela Geller hosted a “Draw Muhammed” contest and two men opened fire on the event. Both were killed by officers at the scene.

The post also says “people are encouraged to exercise their second amendment [sic] right at this event just in case our first amendment [sic] right comes under the much anticipated attack.”

Screen-Shot-2015-05-28-at-2.14.27-PM.png

But don’t get the wrong idea about this event; it explicitly says that they won’t have any food vendors “because we don’t want this to turn into a carnival.”

Here’s the full description:

Screen-Shot-2015-05-28-at-1.55.19-PM.png

So why Phoenix? According to Mashable, the two men behind the attack in Texas were from the Phoenix area, and one had studied at this specific mosque for years.

Per Mashable:

The Arizona chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations says it has met with federal and local law enforcement authorities to discuss protecting worshipers at the mosque from members of the armed biker gang.

“We thank law enforcement authorities for their proactive effort to ensure the safety of the mosque’s congregation from hate-filled and armed protesters,” said CAIR-AZ Chairman Imraan Siddiqi in a statement sent to Mashable “The promise of a heavy police presence at the rally of armed biker gang members will help calm fears of harassment and even attacks on worshipers.”

Many are objecting to the rally but Ritzheimer defended the rally in a Facebook post Wednesday:

Screen-Shot-2015-05-28-at-2.14.27-PM.png

At publish time, just 244 people out of 3,100 invited had responded that they were going to the event.

This is insane. Imagine going to church and finding hundreds of protesters with guns.

akira28

shouldn't they do this outside of a terrorist training center instead? I mean, they need some help with logic and planning.

Toxi

Banned
shouldn't they do this outside of a terrorist training center instead? I mean, they need some help with logic and planning.
These are the same guys asking people to bring guns to a peaceful protest. You're asking too much of them.

iMax

drawing mohammed is good but stick with the Gandhi route, non-violent protest

Is it though? It's kinda obnoxious and disrespectful. Freedom of speech is of course paramount but this is just exploiting the right for the sake of upsetting others, basically.

Dryk

Is it though? It's kinda obnoxious and disrespectful. Freedom of speech is of course paramount but this is just exploiting the right for the sake of upsetting others, basically.
I suppose it's easy to go out of your way to be a dick to people when you convince yourself that every one of them will snap and try to kill you if you do instead of just some of them.

Maxxan

I'm sure if some armed muslim group was showing pictures of naked people outside a church, these guys would commend them on protecting free speech.

Zeke

Dear douchebag organizers don't use Texas as reason for your bullshit "protest"

Signed every sane Texan in Texas.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Something tells me that these guys would not defend the first amendment rights of Muslims with the same vigor.

Slayven

Just because you have the right to do something, doesn't mean you should be an asshole about it. That is how I feel about the drawing Mohammad thing.

Zeke

Someone should get the black Panthers and brown berets to excerise their second amendment rights and show up and make a human wall to protect innocent worshippers from being harassed.

iMax

Just because you have the right to do something, doesn't mean you should be an asshole about it. That is how I feel about the drawing Mohammad thing.

Exactly. I have the right to fart in a lift during rush hour but I really probably shouldn't.

Slayven

Someone should get the black Panthers and brown berets to excerise their second amendment rights and show up and make a human wall to protect innocent worshippers from being harassed.

I bet this group don't like any of the melanin enhanced people

Yo I'm a casual South Park watcher so I kept staring at the stuff that was grey like "what are they talking about?" Until someone mentioned those aliens referred to as grey haha.

Oh yeah, these bikers are dicks.

Jokergrin

people are dying over this. they've been dying for years, starting with the danish cartoon in 2006

dying over CARTOONS. that's unfucking acceptable. so if you publish a work of satire, you have to be afraid for your life. this hampers freedom of speech. if we concede to it, its a slippery slope.

so if everyone draws mohammed then it will dilute their threat. so by taking part in that you can save lives. what you are drawing is besides the point. its not about being a dick, but even if someone did it to be a dick, i will defend them.

PSqueak

Banned
Just noticed the grey in the south park pic o_o

Oh wow! i thought they had stopped doing that like 10 seasons before the episode aired!

theres an alien in every episode of south park iirc

i dont know why they do it tho

The in universe explanation is that Earth in southpark is an alien Tv show and the greys are the stage hands.

Not sure what the IRL explanation is.

iMax

people are dying over this. they've been dying for years, starting with the danish cartoon in 2006

dying over CARTOONS. that's unfucking acceptable. so if you publish a work of satire, you have to be afraid for your life. this hampers freedom of speech. if we concede to it, its a slippery slope.

so if everyone draws mohammed then it will dilute their threat. so by taking part in that you can save lives. what you are drawing is besides the point. its not about being a dick, but even if someone did it to be a dick, i will defend them.

You're confusing terrorists with Muslims just minding their own business.

Slayven

Have these people at this Mosque killed anyone or advocated for someone to be killed for drawing a picture?

Based on what's on the OP, I'm going to go with this particular incident being about being a small, unwashed dick

JDSN

Banned

tumblr_m8i37leof51r1mbdco1_500.jpg

Semper Fi.

liquidtmd

Banned

Some Christians are dicks, I don't get all my friends, load up on guns and sit outside Church on a Sunday drawing pictures of Jesus to the general congregation.

If these guys want to make the point they say they want to make, they want to find those that really get pissed off by it and do it in view of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom