• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Armed group planning a "Draw Muhammad" contest outside Mosque

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tesseract

Banned
Nobody has a problem with their right to do what they do, just that they are ignorant and hateful enough to do it they way they did.

You can tell me about the legality of it until you're blue in the face, it doesn't matter to me and shouldn't to anyone able to discern between a meaningful protest and an irrelevant mob gathering.

it's meaningful to them, that's all that really matters (unfortunately)

but i'm a moderate, labor is right. idgaf

only thing that matters to me is that nobody gets hurt, and everyone's rights are protected. as for religion, i'll enjoy the berating (even if it's stupid) it rightfully deserves.

Well

You're siding with bigots because they dislike people who practice a certain religion, because you dislike all religions. You're making it a point to tell all of us. Would be nice to see in threads about protests by not bigots as well

It's your thing, do what you want to do

Tesseract

Banned
Well

You're siding with bigots because they dislike people who practice a certain religion, because you dislike all religions. You're making it a point to tell all of us. Would be nice to see in threads about protests by not bigots as well

It's your thing, do what you want to do

i'm not siding with them, i want atheists and agnostics to get ribbed too. everyone and thing should be ridiculed, it's probably the best tool available to us.

disruption is a good thing, always has been.

wildfire

Banned
10987635_1576207769307278_5242871596646106207_o.jpg

11652_10153435322794665_5771176344734905380_n.jpg
I'm glad I came back to this thread. I don't know who is less self aware and it's so damn amusing in spite of the gravity of the event. Well played racists, well played.

pgtl_10

EDIT: I love how this local FOX guy feels the need to constantly pander to the most ignorant motherfuckers in the country. I know they're not the same as Fox News, but my god, it doesn't seem like they're that far off.

He's auditioning to get a job with Fox News.

Cartman86

Banned
I would be more sympathetic to the people I see on Twitter and other places whose arguments are that this is a special case of racists (it's about games journalism) etc. That point is correct. That is obvious. It's a repeat of post 9/11 islamophobia. This is Fox News mid 2000's all over again. This time it seems to have started with the perfectly acceptable tactic. Drawing cartoons of religious figures as a form of protest against crazy people. Unfortunately it was coordinated by a racist. Seems clear enough. Easy to side with the non-racists (Not talking about the people on the ground) on this. However I perceive that those very same people never take the time to defend non right-wing critics and former/current Muslims who are threatened or murdered for criticizing Islam. It's always a barrage of shit flung at any critic. Going out of their way to defend murderers and their supporters. No matter if the privileged are the Muslims (as is the case in Muslim countries). These past couple of years have felt like backwardsville.

BrrnugT

Boss★Moogle;165601271 said:
On the subject of bikers. I saw a biker today with these huge ass handlebars on his bike, I mean the guy could barely reach them. I don't get it can somebody please explain the point of it to me.cause it looks really stupid and seems really unsafe.

It looks kinda like this only even a little higher:

Ape-Hanger-Handlebars-On-Motorcycle.jpeg

I ride with tall handlebars because it's a lot easier on my back and having to lean forward

YoungHav

Banned
And when George W. Bush said "God told me to invade Iraq", none of these shitheads had anything to say about Christian religious extremism.

I wish nothing but financial ruin and prison for these morons.
This is as much a peaceful protest as the KKK burning a cross infront of an African American family's lawn
Let's not be too quick to insinuate racism or else it loses it's meaning. A lot of black families weren't well off and had their electricity cutoff. Maybe their neighbors lit crosses so their kitchen and living rooms had a light source?

Although the event was marked by inflammatory messages and a tangible divide between the two sides, it wasn’t without some reconciliation.

Jason Leger, a Phoenix resident wearing one of the profanity-laced shirts, accepted an invitation to join the evening prayer inside the mosque, and said the experience changed him.

“It was something I’ve never seen before. I took my shoes off. I kneeled. I saw a bunch of peaceful people. We all got along,” Leger said. “They made me feel welcome, you know. I just think everybody’s points are getting misconstrued, saying things out of emotion, saying things they don’t believe.”

Paul Griffin, who had earlier said he didn’t care if his t-shirt was offensive, assured a small crowd of Muslims at the end of the rally that he wouldn’t wear it again.

“I promise, the next time you see me, I won’t be wearing this shirt,” he told one man while shaking his hand and smiling. “I won’t wear it again.”

Usama Shami, the president of the ICCP, invited anyone to join him and the 800 members of the mosque for a prayer.

“A lot of them, they’ve never met a Muslim, or they haven’t had interactions with Muslims,” he said. “A lot of them are filled with hate and rage. Maybe they went to websites that charged them with this hatred. So when you sit down and talk like rational people, without all these slogans, without being bigots, without bringing guns, they will find out that they’re talking to another human.”
A nice, happy ending to this story.

orochi91

Although the event was marked by inflammatory messages and a tangible divide between the two sides, it wasn’t without some reconciliation.

Jason Leger, a Phoenix resident wearing one of the profanity-laced shirts, accepted an invitation to join the evening prayer inside the mosque, and said the experience changed him.

“It was something I’ve never seen before. I took my shoes off. I kneeled. I saw a bunch of peaceful people. We all got along,” Leger said. “They made me feel welcome, you know. I just think everybody’s points are getting misconstrued, saying things out of emotion, saying things they don’t believe.”

Paul Griffin, who had earlier said he didn’t care if his t-shirt was offensive, assured a small crowd of Muslims at the end of the rally that he wouldn’t wear it again.

“I promise, the next time you see me, I won’t be wearing this shirt,” he told one man while shaking his hand and smiling. “I won’t wear it again.”

Usama Shami, the president of the ICCP, invited anyone to join him and the 800 members of the mosque for a prayer.

“A lot of them, they’ve never met a Muslim, or they haven’t had interactions with Muslims,” he said. “A lot of them are filled with hate and rage. Maybe they went to websites that charged them with this hatred. So when you sit down and talk like rational people, without all these slogans, without being bigots, without bringing guns, they will find out that they’re talking to another human.”

A nice, happy ending to this story.

That's a rather heartwarming outcome.

That last bit about interactions is especially critical and I'd like to know how many of those protesters have actually ever held a conversation with a Muslim.

Derwind

Totally surreal how quickly the tone seems to have shifted in the story but I'm glad the whole thing is ending up on a good note.

That was pretty touching, thanks for sharing Rusty. The Muslim guy's quote is pretty spot on, mob mentality rules a lot of people, especially on the Internet. Glad to see a few were receptive enough to change their views.

YoungHav

Banned
Great outcome. Unfortunately certain parts of the U.S. are too homogenous and the only thing they know about Muslims is the bullshit fed to them by Fox News. Props to the newly open-minded blokes.

ICKE

Banned
Really great that some people went to a provocative rally and came out with new found perspective.

I am also glad that this organizer, who is clearly a scam artist looking out for a handout failed completely. (tried to cash in via GoFund).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom