• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Armikrog |OT| Stop Motion Fun for Everyone

I really like what I've played thus far. It feels very much like the lost sequel to The Neverhood (which I don't feel Skullmonkeys really was). They really understood what made the original so interesting and bizarre. I was actually worried that some of that was an accident or a product of its time, but no, this feels very similar.

The real issue, as others have noted, is the low quality assets. OK, it's a huge jump over the original, but I expected better. You have these amazing clay models and the backgrounds and video are compressed to hell. Why not upload super sharp 4k quality assets (or at least give us the option)? It would look so good that way.

Yeah, from the videos I have seen of the game. This seems to be a problem. The claymation worlds looks incredible, but the video quality needs to be better. Hopefully they did film the game in a higher quality video format and still have those RAW video files somewhere that they could use again.

It is still awesome to see this game get made though. It is on my to buy list.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I still can't get my key? The humble bundle doesn't send me anything with an Armikrog key in it :(

You have to use the key resender. Then open the email and search for the Armikrog page. Make sure you used the same email as the kickstarter. Worked for me.

SegaShack

I loved the Neverhood. I backed this but apparently only gave $10 (not enough for the actual game). Anyone know the cheapest place to buy it? Thanks.

Spux666

Banned
Someone please help me! I'm stuck on the abe puzzle room. I can't find the last symbol. I've found one on the first floor, one on the top floor, found the baby, got a crystal, turned on the power. And I am so very stuck right now!

Someone please help me! I'm stuck on the abe puzzle room. I can't find the last symbol. I've found one on the first floor, one on the top floor, found the baby, got a crystal, turned on the power. And I am so very stuck right now!

lol this is where I'm at too. Thought I tried every symbol too. Even watched a video of someone doing it but it of course randomizes the sequence with each playthrough.

Alright. After a long bit of a while, I can say I really REALLY enjoy this game DESPITE a number of very big flaws.

It seems like maybe the game was rushed to completion due to whatever, and that as a result some design choices just...weren't there. It's weird.

I know that people have had issues with crashing (not me luckily). But specifically for me, the subtitles are inconsistent (some dialogue is subtitled, some isn't, some is the wrong line?), it is finicky when saving with the same name/slot (thought I saved a game and came back to find it where I originally saved it), sometimes areas simply don't respond to clicks and such.

As far as mind-numbingly bad design choice, a non-interactive standard cursor was a TERRIBLE idea. It looks so glaring against the tone of the game and also doesn't help to identify objects you can interact with. Not telling you you can control Beak Beak and not showing your inventory are straight awful. Their mouths not moving during dialogue can get...distracting. And the sound design is all over the map which is a bit bad as sound is majorly important for some puzzles. The options menu and the save game location are...just weird and not having the graphics options inside the game menus is also an odd choice.

There's just a lot of things that they chose to do design wise that interfere with the otherwise LOVELY time I'm having.

SegaShack

Loving the game so far. I like how it is just like a straight up older game with no direction or anything, all just based on the player experience. No hand holding and the puzzles are still difficult. Just what I wanted.

Tizoc

Alright. After a long bit of a while, I can say I really REALLY enjoy this game DESPITE a number of very big flaws.

It seems like maybe the game was rushed to completion due to whatever, and that as a result some design choices just...weren't there. It's weird.

I know that people have had issues with crashing (not me luckily). But specifically for me, the subtitles are inconsistent (some dialogue is subtitled, some isn't, some is the wrong line?), it is finicky when saving with the same name/slot (thought I saved a game and came back to find it where I originally saved it), sometimes areas simply don't respond to clicks and such.

As far as mind-numbingly bad design choice, a non-interactive standard cursor was a TERRIBLE idea. It looks so glaring against the tone of the game and also doesn't help to identify objects you can interact with. Not telling you you can control Beak Beak and not showing your inventory are straight awful. Their mouths not moving during dialogue can get...distracting. And the sound design is all over the map which is a bit bad as sound is majorly important for some puzzles. The options menu and the save game location are...just weird and not having the graphics options inside the game menus is also an odd choice.

There's just a lot of things that they chose to do design wise that interfere with the otherwise LOVELY time I'm having.

If you can e-mail them or mention this in the steam community forum for the game, I think they'll take note of them and work to get it patched in due time.

I only really notice because I'm hard of hearing so I always play with subtitles on and when I do hear something different than what's written it irks me a bit.

I like them talking whenever they enter a room about what's going on but I feel the game is a bit quiet over all. And yes, I know Neverhood was like that as well, but since the two main dudes are voice this time (and very well too) I kinda wish that clicking on something and them talking about it might have made it into the game. Just so we get to hear more of them. Cause they're super funny.

Ahh, the feeling of being stuck at some weird puzzle in a point and click game. Feels just like Neverhood.

Interested in what will be patched down the road.

PaulloDEC

Got my backer copy installed, but I'm thinking I might wait for the first patch (or two) to drop before I start a proper run. A themed cursor would sure be nice.

Also, is it wrong of me to wish for a half-res filter? As a long-time Neverhood fan, there's just something so right about how it looks that way (view at 100%):

tF6b.jpg

MaLDo

Sorry, this cursor is garbage. And no inventory so I don't even know what I've picked up. So you click on everything in every room with no context as to what is interactable, pick up some nondescript object that may now make something work but there's absolutely no way to discern that before hand. So I don't know if I missed clicking an object somewhere because there is no feedback.
And reloading your game is under options? This got beta tested?

Agree. At first I thought some bug happened and cursor and UI didn't work properly. What a mess of UI, I mean, there is NO UI at all.

Video compression is bad, but way better than what STASIS shows.

Humble Bundle has a really weird way of showing where your unclaimed keys are since it took me a good while to find where my one for Amikrog was. Downloading it now, hoping people's UI troubles aren't too major because I love the resurgence 90's style point & clicks we're getting nowadays.

MaLDo

Will the PC release have controller support?

Config application (yes, it's an stupid independent application outside the game) has a place to map controller buttons to game actions. But it seems the controller doesn't work in game. In fact, I'm not surprised taking account how bad is the mouse implementation. Even Monkey Island had some kind of cursor interaction 25 years ago. Armikrog is not finished.

Sorry, this cursor is garbage. And no inventory so I don't even know what I've picked up. So you click on everything in every room with no context as to what is interactable, pick up some nondescript object that may now make something work but there's absolutely no way to discern that before hand. So I don't know if I missed clicking an object somewhere because there is no feedback.
And reloading your game is under options? This got beta tested?

Having no inventory is something that Neverhood did as well, so I think that is what they were going for. Same goes with the cursor hand. It doesn't have any context sensitive animation in the Neverhood either. So I don't think these are oversights in Armikrog, it seems more like a conscientious decision from the developers to stay consistent with the original game. But at the same time, I agree. I am replaying through the Neverhood now, and while I do love the game, I often think to myself that it would be nice if I could see what I picked up, even if the inventory is automated. And it would also be nice if the cursor made a few more context sensitive gestures . Games that are older than the Neverhood like the Lucasarts and Sierra titles did a much better job in these respects.

SOME-MIST

I honestly did trial and error to solve it. Few things to keep in mind... you already know the first two symbols and the position they should be in (spots 1 and 2). The last symbol you need to use one might even be hidden in the middle row that you're solving... it wasn't for me, but I kept trying just in case.

I've only had time to play for an hour, but...yea... I'm at a stopping point till I have enough time to push further.
no idea what the Lincoln hints are referring to... the 'lightning power button' can't be pushed by me nor beak beak in the red room... kinda curious if that's a bug. There's a weird contraption in the red room but it looks like I need an item to turn it on... it probably relates to the suction room. I've got the track for the tram lined up. The terminal in the giant glass/suction room isn't operable yet, and the suction tube doesn't last long enough to use...although I noticed the same tube above the tram so something tells me I have to turn on the tram power first.
Loving it.

inm8num2

PC Gamer also mentions the technical issues, just referencing RPS' article and the Steam reviews.

Shame to see this, especially after the delays to fix the game. Hopefully the devs can fix the major issues.

lyrick

I've had some issues where I've been able to use items before acquiring them. This has happened quite a bit with flying pills and handles/cranks. I've been trying to clear zones and progress on a seemly natural path so far, hopefully I don't get bit in the ass progression wise.

Most of the puzzles have been very straight forward, or feature hints in a close proximity.

Tizoc

Can someone help me with a puzzle please?
How do go to the upper area of the trolley area? How do I alter the circluar thing so it lets me go to the upper tiers?
Also how do I solve the puzzle next to Ant Linclon?

SOME-MIST

How do go to the upper area of the trolley area? How do I alter the circluar thing so it lets me go to the upper tiers?

not sure if this is what you're referencing but I'll try and help. I'm assuming you're trying to fix the trolley track. In order to do that you have to get past the puzzle next to abrahat lincoln. To solve the puzzle next to abrahat lincoln, you have to use beak beak. On the absolute ground floor of the game, if you go all the way to the left, there is a little doggy hole where you should have grabbed a crank to get as far as you've gotten. If you go all the way to the end of that hall into the very introductory room, you will be able to see the first symbol for the combination with your inherent dog vision - make note of it. The second symbol can be found in the room with the crank+rotating wall mech and the green button on the floor. Crank the mech until you get the red room, and then use beak beak again to go through the dog hole and find the second symbol. These are randomized symbols btw....

I have no idea where the third symbol is, but I used process of elimination to solve the code. once you solve the code, you will get into the big spin wheel which will allow you to adjust the track. it's another puzzle you will have to figure out in order to get it to line up properly.

lyrick

The circular thing is a puzzle room, you will come across.

The Ant Lincoln puzzle has hints in three areas (and extra pieces off the grid both vertically and horizontally):

Use Beak Beak to traverse the paths that leads back to the first room

Use Beak Beak to traverse the paths that lead to the first tentacle lift monster

use the trolley to go all the way to the right

Tizoc

The circular thing is a puzzle room, you will come across.

The Ant Lincoln puzzle has hints in three areas (and extra pieces off the grid both vertically and horizontally):

Use Beak Beak to traverse the paths that leads back to the first room

Use Beak Beak to traverse the paths that lead to the first tentacle lift monster

use the trolley to go all the way to the right

Oooooh so
the big and small squares are hints for the Ant puzzle then?
I got the trolley running but if I do the Ant puzzle i should be able to use the trolley to go the higher areas above the octopus ladder right?

Also 12 MB update just went up, anyone got patch notes?

bumpkin

Damn this isn't looking good for it.:/ Guess I see for myself next week.
Have they announced anything about when people who backed for physical copies will be getting it? I've been checking their KS page and their Twitter profile and haven't seen/heard a peep. :(

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Oooooh so
the big and small squares are hints for the Ant puzzle then?
I got the trolley running but if I do the Ant puzzle i should be able to use the trolley to go the higher areas above the octopus ladder right?

Also 12 MB update just went up, anyone got patch notes?
A patch? Are you using the Steam version? I downloaded the DRM free version from Humble. Need to investigate this.

SOME-MIST

alright... so you guys can already get in the trolley, I need some help too.

I see the "lightning button" in the red room, but I'm unable to push it with both beak beak and tommynaut. Is there a puzzle behind why I can't push the button? or might I be bugged? the trolley has the same lightning symbol right above it.

lyrick

alright... so you guys can already get in the trolley, I need some help too.

I see the "lightning button" in the red room, but I'm unable to push it with both beak beak and tommynaut. Is there a puzzle behind why I can't push the button? or might I be bugged? the trolley has the same lightning symbol right above it.

It's a Beek-Beek Button, try it again while controlling Beek-Beek

Patch details.

Hey everyone!

The game went live yesterday and we had a BLAST seeing all of you posting about your adventures! We're so happy you're enjoying the game!

Game Updates
We've released a game update that fixes the issues that some of you reported including the missing localized text, and launching on the Mac version.

Two Main Critical Issues Fixed:
Missing Localization or No Localization
OSX Launch Issues

We're already working on some other small issues as well including some clipping and some occasional issues where things in certain rooms either stop responding or if you come back to a room in a strange way or state. We're hopefully we'll get this next update out next week.

Huge thank you for all of your kind words and feedback! Please keep feedback coming so we can continue to tweak and make improvements.

--Pencil Test

SOME-MIST

It's a Beek-Beek Button, try it again while controlling Beek-Beek

damn

I tried that and it must be pretty buggy like the green switch. sometimes I'll click on beak beak and then the green switch, and he'll just stall in front of it until I click on tommynaut again... adjust tommynaut's position, and then reclick on beak beak and the button

thanks for the confirmation.

lyrick

damn

I tried that and it must be pretty buggy like the green switch. sometimes I'll click on beak beak and then the green switch, and he'll just stall in front of it until I click on tommynaut again... adjust tommynaut's position, and then reclick on beak beak and the button

I have the same problem with those switches too.

damn

If I'm right, I think you need another item before that switch will function anyways. I was stuck there as well. If the machine in that room isn't already working the button won't activate.

To get the machine working here's a vague hint:
Do something with a character that you've never been told they even CAN do.

Sorry, people can call this call this old school, I call this really poor puzzle making. I'm stuck at the gun turret, with multiple hints that point to it that just do nothing. I get no puzzle feedback, I have no idea why they don't work here.

Hm. He works quickly with his games, dear old grumpy John Walker. Just 7½h between the review in progress article, which was mostly a rant about bugs, and the actual review.

The game clearly seems to have issues, but always apply a hyperbole filter to Mr. Walkers reviews.

I hear the game is about 3 hours long.

I've seen times that are all over the place. One person the games' Steam forum said five hours. And I just checked the forums again and a guy is claiming close to fifteen hours. I checked his profile and it shows almost fourteen hours played. So, I guess it comes down to how fast you're able to complete the puzzles and how much exploring you do.

SOME-MIST

If I'm right, I think you need another item before that switch will function anyways. I was stuck there as well. If the machine in that room isn't already working the button won't activate.

To get the machine working here's a vague hint:
Do something with a character that you've never been told they even CAN do.

Sorry, people can call this call this old school, I call this really poor puzzle making. I'm stuck at the gun turret, with multiple hints that point to it that just do nothing. I get no puzzle feedback, I have no idea why they don't work here.

thanks for the heads up :D

edit: don't read that review unless you want a spoiled hint.

"Wow – an adventure game where I don’t even get to select the inventory objects."

someone obviously never played the first one ._.
I actually love the no-inventory structure and don't really see it as a flaw like most of these reviewers. It's kind of baffling that they all see it as a "new" horrible design choice instead of understanding that it's nearly identical to the original game. I absolutely love the similarities (though I somewhat agree that the cursor is an eyesore detracting from the beautiful backgrounds).

the bugs on the other hand... are as bad as they say but that's to be expected. I'd honestly rather have the game now and deal with the bugs than wait a few more months via delays & qa. I've waited too long to play this game. I feel like this is what was to be expected, and other than the bugs... it's what we would've received as the final product anyway. the desolate/barren world of neverhood was bleak and somewhat unnerving which thankfully rubbed off onto armikrog. all these difficult puzzles and what appears to be nothing to work with... lets explore the fingerprint ridden environment and see if we can figure this out.

PaulloDEC

You guys might be interested in this article. A bit worrying, as a backer myself.

I'm not too bothered. As excited as I am to play it, I'd much rather sit back and play something else for a week or so until a few patches have landed. Mostly it seems to just be gameplay bugs, which I'm sure will be dealt with once enough complaints roll in.

Some UI tweaks might be coming, too. One of the devs posted the following on the Steam forums:

So - we feel like there's a lot of confusion around some of the buttons working and not working and we'll look at doing some UI enchancements to show when a room is powered or not powered or when a button isn't working due to some puzzle.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I mean i feel like this is one of those immune projects. Its main selling point, claymation, basically is done great according to everyone. The gameplay tweaks and bug fixes are coming along. Most articles or reviews ive read are like "ok hold off a bit for a patch then buy it" instead of the usual "this is trash avoid at all costs!"

Tizoc

Can we take a minute to appreciate that intro song? Never in my life did I expect the word Armikrog to be so catchy
ARRRRRRRMIKROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOG!

If it's really three hours long, then that might explain something, but I'm a bit weary about how John Walker plays these games, after he called Broken Age Act 2 a 4h long game, while I myself spent about 10h on it, without ever really being stuck on it.

That said, he's not alone in speaking about problems in the game.

Top Bottom