• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Armikrog |OT| Stop Motion Fun for Everyone

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Man, they really need to add a proper mouse cursor. It just feels so weird using a standard windows cursor. I cannot understand why they did that.

Also, the bugs are indeed frustrating. Things just unlocking in the wrong order or being able to move through areas that should be locked really breaks the experience.

Still, there is a true successor to The Neverhood buried in here. It just needs more polish.

Between the puzzle bugs and the cursor not having any interactivity indicator I'm thinking I'll hold off a bit on continuing the game. Played about 20 minutes or so so far and clicking something several times with nothing happening followed by clicking it in a different but specific spot doing something is just not good enough for me. For example the green button. It is clearly there to be interacted with but I had to press a really specific spot below the button to interact with it.

SOME-MIST

finally beat it today. it was a bit short.. but the animation & music were incredible. dialogue and set pieces were funny, puzzles... albeit recycled, were fun to figure out. I liked both the neverhood and skullmonkeys (even if a platformer) more, but I feel like it fits in well with the loose klaymen trilogy.

I also think it could be a cult hit down the road.

PaulloDEC

I find it kinda odd that the review repeatedly mentions how poorly the game compares to The Neverhood, but then goes on to criticize Armikrog for not doing a bunch of things that The Neverhood didn't do either.

I mean:

There aren't any real characters to chat to either, you can't look at anything, and you can't touch anything that's not directly part of a puzzle. You don't even have an inventory screen, never mind a reason to care about Tommynaut's adventure through a world that is occasionally very pretty, but more often feels as though solid blocks of clay were slapped down here and there.

Does that not perfectly describe The Neverhood? Klaymen barely speaks, there's hardly any other characters, examining non-puzzle items is extremely limited, there's no inventory, and the world, though very pretty, often feels "as though solid blocks of clay were slapped down here and there".

bumpkin

For anyone else who backed the game at tiers with physical editions of the game involved, I messaged them on KS asking when those would ship and this was what Ed said:

For the physical versions--unfortunately I don't have an ETA right now, but we definitely want to get the game as tight as we can before going to press. We'll continue to keep everyone informed through the updates.

I guess this is better than getting a disc-based copy of the game and having to download patch after patch over time, but it's still a bummer that somewhat stifles my enthusiasm. I want to play the game, but I don't want to buy it when I have a copy on the way eventually. :(

SOME-MIST

For anyone else who backed the game at tiers with physical editions of the game involved, I messaged them on KS asking when those would ship and this was what Ed said:

I guess this is better than getting a disc-based copy of the game and having to download patch after patch over time, but it's still a bummer that somewhat stifles my enthusiasm. I want to play the game, but I don't want to buy it when I have a copy on the way eventually. :(

you get the digital version for free if you backed at the physical tier. otherwise... I woulda been pretty bummed too but I think I woulda shelled out the cash anyway

bumpkin

you get the digital version for free if you backed at the physical tier. otherwise... I woulda been pretty bummed too but I think I woulda shelled out the cash anyway
Unfortunately, I chose Wii U for my digital copy; Mac for physical.

EDIT: Well I'll be... I just checked Humble Bundle and there's a download option. Nice! :D

I find it kinda odd that the review repeatedly mentions how poorly the game compares to The Neverhood, but then goes on to criticize Armikrog for not doing a bunch of things that The Neverhood didn't do either.

Does that not perfectly describe The Neverhood? Klaymen barely speaks, there's hardly any other characters, examining non-puzzle items is extremely limited, there's no inventory, and the world, though very pretty, often feels "as though solid blocks of clay were slapped down here and there".

lol Yeah, that's an odd thing to say. Makes me wonder if the reviewer has really played The Neverhood.

bumpkin

Started playing it last night, been having fun with it. I never played The Neverhood or really any point-and-click adventure game so it's all new to me. The game looks great, love the style of everything. The music is catchy and the voices are pretty good. Mostly I'm just happy it runs smoothly on my Mac unlike the Mighty No. 9 (which I also backed) beta and "special demo" which run like dogshit.

So far I've encountered a few weird audio bugs. One time I triggered the ghost to speak (from the statue) and there was no voiceover. Triggered it a second time and got audio. And at another part, I triggered a story scene and the voiceover was completely unintellible, seemed like it was in a different language. Is there a specific place they're encouraging people to report issues?

Seems like the developers/publisher (whoever it was posting on the Steam forums that's connected to the game) has gone quiet. There was a second patch last week and notes were never posted like they were for the first patch, and I don't see that person answering questions for people anymore, lol. I wonder if all of the negativity drove them away.

lyrick

Started playing it last night, been having fun with it. I never played The Neverhood or really any point-and-click adventure game so it's all new to me. The game looks great, love the style of everything. The music is catchy and the voices are pretty good. Mostly I'm just happy it runs smoothly on my Mac unlike the Mighty No. 9 (which I also backed) beta and "special demo" which run like dogshit.

So far I've encountered a few weird audio bugs. One time I triggered the ghost to speak (from the statue) and there was no voiceover. Triggered it a second time and got audio. And at another part, I triggered a story scene and the voiceover was completely unintellible, seemed like it was in a different language. Is there a specific place they're encouraging people to report issues?

I'm pretty sure those story sequences
The ones that occur when you click on a tentacle lift thing while controlling Beek-Beek
are supposed to be in gibberish. They were asking people to report ongoing issues in the Gaes Steam Community board, I'm sure they're still taking input as they want to ship the physical edition as bug free as possible (and probably the Wii U and PS4 versions too).

bumpkin

I'm pretty sure those story sequences
The ones that occur when you click on a tentacle lift thing while controlling Beek-Beek
are supposed to be in gibberish. They were asking people to report ongoing issues in the Gaes Steam Community board, I'm sure they're still taking input as they want to ship the physical edition as bug free as possible (and probably the Wii U and PS4 versions too).
Yeah, that story sequence you called out is the one I'm referring to.

Tizoc

Really hope they can get this game fixed and patched up, it's GotY material for me but I would like for the UI to be updated :X

bumpkin

Really hope they can get this game fixed and patched up, it's GotY material for me but I would like for the UI to be updated :X
Yeah, it could use some improvements. I don't really care all that much about the cursor being the OS' default. I would however like an inventory menu I can open at any given time to see what I'm carrying. It would also be nice if the saved game stuff wasn't tucked away under Options. That's just weird.

I do think an option to turn on hints would be nice, like maybe have interactive objects be highlighted for a moment. It'd help in those times where you get stuck and aren't sure if you missed a pick-up.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Seems like the developers/publisher (whoever it was posting on the Steam forums that's connected to the game) has gone quiet. There was a second patch last week and notes were never posted like they were for the first patch, and I don't see that person answering questions for people anymore, lol. I wonder if all of the negativity drove them away.

Dont know why the negativity would drive them off. Most of it was actually positive negativity if thats a thing. People saying 'hey the core seems great but wait for a patch but still buy it guys when it gets patched!'

If anything that should compel them to be more active.

Dont know why the negativity would drive them off. Most of it was actually positive negativity if thats a thing. People saying 'hey the core seems great but wait for a patch but still buy it guys when it gets patched!'

If anything that should compel them to be more active.

Last time I browsed the forum it just seemed like a lot of trolling topics. I wouldn't blame anyone associated with the game to avoid it and just keep updates to the News section but after going back that person seems to have returned.

lyrick

Started a new game and it looks like the magic lever stuff has been fixed and there's now a cursor.

PaulloDEC

Started a new game and it looks like the magic lever stuff has been fixed and there's now a cursor.

Hmm weird, in the patch notes it said the cursor would actually be in the next update...?

I noticed someone on the steam forums mentioned they've got a new cursor too.

Any chance of a screenshot, Lyrick?

EDIT: Never mind I guess, turns out it's in for me too:

9g7b.jpg

Pity about the lack of alpha, but it's an improvement. Maybe there'll be more tweaks in the next patch.

Patch 1.02 - Bug Fixes + Saved Game Fixes
7 OCTOBER - MYLL_ERIK
Hello Armikroggers!

Our next update is ready to go and it includes lots of pesky bug fixes!

Issues Fixed
Fixed an issue that caused some levers to not spawn correctly
Final Octovator languages have been fixed
Controller no longer can grant all items
You now have to find the last piece of P-Tonium to beat the game
Fixed an issue where Beaky wasn’t required to sit on a certain green button to get the door open
Fixed a few subtitle issues
Saved Game Override now works correctly

We're already working on our next update that will include more updates, and a new cursor! Thanks for all of your amazing support, kind words, and pictures!

-Pencil Test

For Reference

Karsha

Kinda sad, finished the game yesterday in one go,I'd say 2 hours, found out latter that some of the puzzles were glitched and that you could bypass them. My first doubt was at that cannon part, I didn't menage to activate it (I knew the sequence but didn't figure out the colours) and still moved to the next part.
Another weird stuff is the Octopus items, I think you have to speak to them to get the machine parts but I spoke only to the last one and still had the parts?
Don't know how they didn't test this kind of stuff, its not even hidden its right there. Still feels good to play a neverhood "sequel" but I wish the game was a bit longer and more polished with some clever puzzles

Patch 1.03 is available.

• Added custom context sensitive cursor
  • Fixed bug that allowed player to watch "Finding P" cinematic multiple times
  • Fixed bug where Beak Beak would only sit on buttons if facing right
  • Added visual feedback to puzzles that need to be unlocked
  • Fixed a variety of issues where Beak Beak could become stuck while flying
  • Other minor bug fixes

SOME-MIST

That flying beak beak bug got me real good. Had to roll back to a far save before I could get past it.

Glad to see the patch is polishing the hell outta the game.

Holy shit, did this come out?

I forgot all about it.

Why didn't I get an email for my copy? I backed this thing.

Did you change e-mail addresses any time between now and when the Kickstarter was going on back in 2013? Might want to contact them through Kickstarter or on Twitter if you use it.

Now we're talking. I'd been holding out for this patch, might finally be time to get playing.

Hell yeah! Exactly my thoughts. The game just wasn't ready and I'd rather wait a month more than play a broken game I've already waited years for.

Holy shit, did this come out?

I forgot all about it.

Why didn't I get an email for my copy? I backed this thing.

You redeem it on humble. Check the last couple of updates to the Kickstarter campaign for instructions!

So, there is a patch that just coming out that I heavily suggest people try the game again after it goes through.

They added:
-A custom cursor
-A context sensitive cursor, indicating if you can interact with something
-Visual feedback on puzzles that need to be solved
-A bug fix for that stupid Beak Beak shit where he doesn't hop on the button

Let's just say that I will give this game a shot again because that is almost EVERYTHING I had a problem with.

Edit: LMAO that's what I get for not reading this thread, they JUST sent out the backer notice about the patch. No idea it came out already

bumpkin

So here's the big question, is it possible to update the DRM-free Mac version without outright overwriting the Application? I'd like to not lose my saved progress. :(

Tizoc

Can't you back up your save data?

BTW Need help with a puzzle
It's the door puzzle where you must slide rectangles and form a picture. This is the one for the female, the one before it was easy but this one is just...giving me a headache heh :p

bumpkin

I think I got myself stuck somehow. I'm at a part where I fed Beek-Beek a flying critter from a dish to give him wings, flew him up to a tunnel where he got two items to bring back to Tommynaut, but now when I think I should be able to make him put a lever into a switch on a door, he won't do it. :(

armikrog.png

Tizoc

I think I got myself stuck somehow. I'm at a part where I fed Beek-Beek a flying critter from a dish to give him wings, flew him up to a tunnel where he got two items to bring back to Tommynaut, but now when I think I should be able to make him put a lever into a switch on a door, he won't do it. :(

armikrog.png

Did Tommy pick up the items Beakbeak spat out?

Patch 1.04 is now available.

• Music now plays consistently throughout the game
  • Fixed issues where audio volumes unexpectedly lowered or cut out
  • Buttons now give visual and audible feedback even before they are active
  • Fixed issue where Tommy could walk through closed door in Tower 3 before solving door lock puzzle
  • Fixed issue where Tommy was unable to place the translation lever
  • Lullaby puzzle - Player can now click anywhere on the ring to advance the lullaby song
  • A variety of sub-title display fixes
  • Other minor bug fixes

Patch 1.05 is out.

Hey everyone! Here's what's new in this latest update:

• Fixed issue where occasionally two background music tracks would play simultaneously.
  • Added some visual clues for clickable objects when in Beaky-vision.
  • Fixed issue where final crystal pedestal could be activated before lowering it.
  • Fixed instances where Beak Beak would become clipped when flying behind door masks.
  • Fixed issue where Wheelie Birds could become stuck on the ledge in the Lookout Room.
  • Other minor bug fixes.
Details about the Linux system cursor appearing over the custom cursor:

This seems to be an issue with the version of Unity we're using. We're looking into upgrading the game to the most current version of Unity, which should hopefully fix the issue.

pixelation

Sorry for the bump but... this is coming out on PS4 this week is it not?, $9.99 i think?... any impressions?, the art style is quite nice to say the least.

Top Bottom