• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Armored Core V: Verdict Day- Anyone getting it tomorrow? Anyone even know it exists?

Do you get those once per win or are they gone for good/must be rebought if you sell them?

As far as money sources, I was running a lot of normal missions and next time I checked my workshop I had 3 million in the bank. Only the trivial raid missions with no enemy players actually charge you expenses (and as long as you make sure to grab the crates you'll easily make enough to cover the expense of running three UNACs with you plus get a ton of gear pieces, including ones you are not cleared to buy at the store yet), anything against ACs has expenses covered by your faction so it's a guaranteed and fun income stream.

EDIT:

1. Me and some UNACs crushed a 5 man team (ACVD Gamers) without losses of our own but for some reason the debriefing said "abnormal mission end" and the match didn't count. Would almost have gained ESWAT a whole rank!
2. I hate map boundaries, when going backwards with a fast AC you can go from not seeing any warning to out of bounds with one boost. Already died a few times to that crap.
3. F### the Pask Field map, visibility is roughly zero there and Venide is making me defend that POS all the time. Let the other guys have it if they want it so bad.
Boosting out of bounds is the bane of my existence versus enemy AC's, i wish it would power you down rather than destroy you right out.

gemoran4

So I guess my big question is should i get this for 360 or PS3? (which version is better anyways, or are they basically the same)

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
So because of GTAV I haven't gotten around to actually snagging this bad boy, I'll probably pick it up next week. How long do you think the game will be active for on PSN? I know the question is getting asked a lot but really im just curious if this game even has longevity in it.

I think I only played ACV for a few weeks before getting bored, but then again there were like 8 people to play with when I bought the game ~5 months after release.

thundr51

So because of GTAV I haven't gotten around to actually snagging this bad boy, I'll probably pick it up next week. How long do you think the game will be active for on PSN? I know the question is getting asked a lot but really im just curious if this game even has longevity in it.

I think I only played ACV for a few weeks before getting bored, but then again there were like 8 people to play with when I bought the game ~5 months after release.

Don't wait too long, most stores only got one or two copies if any at all.

Meanwhile has anyone tried the acvd link thing? I noticed the link yesterday and register but I think its still busted until the server maintenance on 10/3.

One other thing, is there a guide on how to take screenshots somewhere?

Tizoc

Well just got my ps3 copy and I find the install data is 5.5 gb =_=
The game is 6ish gb on us psn had I got it from there I would've gotten 10$ back....
Ah well :V
So how do I join the neogaf group on ps3 if there is one?

MogCakes

Well just got my ps3 copy and I find the install data is 5.5 gb =_=
The game is 6ish gb on us psn had I got it from there I would've gotten 10$ back....
Ah well :V
So how do I join the neogaf group on ps3 if there is one?

Search ESWAT on the group search list in the game, you'll find it. It's free to join.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Been super busy for the last few days, hopefully I'll be able to play a lot this weekend. Mission 5's unacs can diaf. :mad:

Tain

two questions:

1. Is this region free on 360?
2. Is the offline comparable to For Answer?

I liked 5 but couldn't stick to online and the offline was very light, so I'm hesitant with this.

So, any Japanese voices selectable in the US/EUR versions? (e.g when having the console in JP or even just from menus)

I really liked the JP demo before the first version's release and would like those voices.
Though it's cheaper to buy from my region's store.

So, any Japanese voices selectable in the US/EUR versions? (e.g when having the console in JP or even just from menus)

I really liked the JP demo before the first version's release and would like those voices.
Though it's cheaper to buy from my region's store.

I recall being able to choose the japanese voices for my on board ai, but I don't recall being able to choose japanese VA for the entire game. It would probably be a no, if someone could verify that would be awesome.

Lockon

Anyone beaten all the story mode with S rank yet? I'm having a hard time on Mission 5-3 and 5-4.

5-3 is where you fight an AC named Charis, but he got a bunch of scrubs with him and missile turrets.

5-4, you fight 2 AC: Kraken and Tagaroa. I didn't even beat them. I hired random mercernary and he used the blade UW on both of them...still got an A.

Man, I have played all armored core since 2, but this one is probably the hardest one yet. I'm in ps3 team, psn id is kyokunaki. number 02 on the team. Ok, going back to get my butt kicked some more lol

Naked Lunch

This game is so sick. I could play online sorties with randoms all night. It shifts you between co-op matches and vs other human controlled teams. Getting a good crew together and going on a streak is just too much fun. The time to play is now while the community is there. Its very active on 360 at all times of the day at this stage. There is no online game like this out there.

For single player - it is similar to For Answer in terms of very short, sometimes very difficult missions. V had very long missions but VD's come and go in minutes - just like For Answer. Verdict Day is right up there for best AC game yet.

I hate to ask but is the multiplayer anything like Chromehounds? I really like the customization and team strategy that that game brought to the table.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Even though I hated the direction V went in I still bought the game as own every single other one in the damned series so am not going to stop now.

MogCakes

I'm loving the game so far. Haven't played much since I have to splice my time between this and ARR, and my other life duties. How come no one talks in-game? I can never tell what everyone's doing.

I just picked up the game for PS3 and joined ESWAT. No idea what I'm doing yet, but-- my last Armored Core experience being AC3 for PS2-- this game controls like an absolute dream and is blisteringly fast. I failed the first story mission like a scrub and enjoyed it.

Naked Lunch

I'm loving the game so far. Haven't played much since I have to splice my time between this and ARR, and my other life duties. How come no one talks in-game? I can never tell what everyone's doing.
Im almost positive mercenaries cannot communicate to other players. Voice chat is disabled. They cant even see your quick text messages. The only way to communicate is within your team. This is slightly annoying because you can hear any team member talking at all times - if they are in your session or not. From Software always have weird voice chat restrictions - like the Souls games.

TentPole

I made a PS3 team if anyone wants to join, called ESWAT.

Thanks for the help. Sorry I could only play one mission but I just turned the game on to pass the time while some butter softened for making some Halloween sugar cookies. But I should be on late tonight and a good chunk tomorrow.

I am assuming that it was you that jumped in to my game. Team Member 00 is whoever set up the team right?

Welp, I'm staying clear of online until I read the entire manual now. I did a normal world mission with 4 unacs just to see what it was like, and I was stuck as the operator with no idea what to do. I just sat there for 3 minutes while I watched my unacs die and the enemy won the match without a sweat. I repurchased the territory for 500,000 and I'll probably never play online again unless it's with another person, because it seems like I'd default to the operator every time by myself. Is that really the case, though? It seems burdensome for one person to always volunteer to be an operator on a team, and impossible to play world missions on your own unless you want to stare at a map overview the whole match.

I've been sticking to Story mode and enjoying the game that way, but how do you all typically play online? I play at odd times throughout the day and haven't noticed any other ESWAT members online at the same time.

TentPole

I am still going through the story to unlock parts but I should be on a good deal over the next couple of days.

I would also be shocked if there wasn't a way to actually fight with the UNAC units.

KDR_11k

On the lore side, mission 5-8 seems to take place around a crashed Cradle. 5-3 is on AF Spirit of Motherwell. I haven't identified the other wreck fields though, guessing the one with the many saucer bits is just remains of either those huge walkers from AC V's story or one of the optional bosses. The closest AF would be the Answerer but I don't think that's what it is. Also the story mentions "specialized particles" which I guess means the world gets flooded with Kojima particles in the end? Who needs autonomous weapons when that's the case?

I unlocked the UWs properly shortly after leaving for vacation, the "model builder kit" download (was free when I downloaded it, dunno if that was intended) also gives you all except the Giga Blade when you install it. Looking at them just makes me sad that they're only useful as cheese moves since they're such awesome designs. I would never take them to an MP match because you can't just quickly restart those when you miss your one chance. Also why are there three melee UWs when one of them is clearly superior to the other two (Mass Blade can attack three times, Grind Blade only twice AND you lose an arm and the Giga Blade only gets one attack)? I guess the Grind Blade destroys your arm because it was used by boss characters in AC V as a desperation weapon and they usually had one arm blown off when they activated it and the Mass Blade is separate because it's also a story-based weapon in AC V but the Giga Blade never appeared in the story. Does defense impact the damage you take from activating an UW? It seems to me that I took about a third less damage after I went from practically no TE defense to maxed TE defense on a Giga Missile.

I never got to grips with the laser guns, uncharged they do practically no damage and charging takes so long that any other gun would outperform them easily. Plus using a laser for sniping means you cannot hurt heavy ACs much which are really the only snipable targets. Any light or medium is in your face after you fire 1-2 shots which doesn't amount to much damage. What's their proper role? Even the weapon arm seems awfully underwhelming.

What exactly are UAVs supposed to be good for? Am I missing something or do they just give you a GTA1-style camera view and that's it? I've been looking at them as perhaps a way to use a Giga Missile without needing LOS to the target but that doesn't seem to work. Especially since widescreen means you see more to your side than to your front... Can you somehow tilt that view upwards?

Also why would you ever walk without the booster? The only time I disable the booster when I'm on the ground is when I try to pick up a crate drop because the collision volume on those things is just awfully tiny. Dropping the booster in the air to fall to the ground makes sense but you'd want to re-enable it when you're on the ground. Does it affect your shot stability? I've noticed that having the booster on actually drains LESS energy than walking normally (you can only see that when you're recovering from a UW activation anyway).

So many questions... Man, From sure like obtuse game design.

EDIT: By the way, what's everybody's player rank here? I'm at B and still haven't unlocked some of the parts that the model builder kit included properly. Gotta get some S ranks to advance but I'm just not good enough for that...

Welp, I'm staying clear of online until I read the entire manual now. I did a normal world mission with 4 unacs just to see what it was like, and I was stuck as the operator with no idea what to do. I just sat there for 3 minutes while I watched my unacs die and the enemy won the match without a sweat. I repurchased the territory for 500,000 and I'll probably never play online again unless it's with another person, because it seems like I'd default to the operator every time by myself. Is that really the case, though? It seems burdensome for one person to always volunteer to be an operator on a team, and impossible to play world missions on your own unless you want to stare at a map overview the whole match.

I've been sticking to Story mode and enjoying the game that way, but how do you all typically play online? I play at odd times throughout the day and haven't noticed any other ESWAT members online at the same time.

If you have 5 players (including bots) on your team one of them is forced into the operator role. I assume UNACs cannot be operators so it made you the Op. If you add only three UNACs to your team (i.e. leave one slot free) you deploy alongside them.

Jrs3000

On the lore side, mission 5-8 seems to take place around a crashed Cradle. 5-3 is on AF Spirit of Motherwell. I haven't identified the other wreck fields though, guessing the one with the many saucer bits is just remains of either those huge walkers from AC V's story or one of the optional bosses. The closest AF would be the Answerer but I don't think that's what it is. Also the story mentions "specialized particles" which I guess means the world gets flooded with Kojima particles in the end? Who needs autonomous weapons when that's the case? The guy activated the ancient weapons powered by kojima particles. The ancient weapons (AC4A) are way more powerful than the autonomous weapons. It's also funny to see the size of the AC from AC4A compared to how they shrunk them now.

I unlocked the UWs properly shortly after leaving for vacation, the "model builder kit" download (was free when I downloaded it, dunno if that was intended) also gives you all except the Giga Blade when you install it. Looking at them just makes me sad that they're only useful as cheese moves since they're such awesome designs. I would never take them to an MP match because you can't just quickly restart those when you miss your one chance. Also why are there three melee UWs when one of them is clearly superior to the other two (Mass Blade can attack three times, Grind Blade only twice AND you lose an arm and the Giga Blade only gets one attack)? Who know's but they have to keep it balanced since 1 hit= death. UW are useful in team matches, kill a AC from the start to get the number advantage.I guess the Grind Blade destroys your arm because it was used by boss characters in AC V as a desperation weapon and they usually had one arm blown off when they activated it and the Mass Blade is separate because it's also a story-based weapon in AC V but the Giga Blade never appeared in the story. Does defense impact the damage you take from activating an UW? I think it does buff your ac. It seems to me that I took about a third less damage after I went from practically no TE defense to maxed TE defense on a Giga Missile.

I never got to grips with the laser guns, uncharged they do practically no damage and charging takes so long that any other gun would outperform them easily. Plus using a laser for sniping means you cannot hurt heavy ACs much which are really the only snipable targets. Any light or medium is in your face after you fire 1-2 shots which doesn't amount to much damage. What's their proper role? Support weapon. They are devastating on Bipedal Mid and Light Acs and when you break a ACs armor it does more damage. The damage listed is the amount for a regular shot, charging increase damage and speed of the shot so it's worth charging up.Even the weapon arm seems awfully underwhelming. Think of it as carring a 5th weapon. They have their uses. The missle pod arms are deadly firing 16 missles at a time.

What exactly are UAVs supposed to be good for? No idea it's a useless part. Am I missing something or do they just give you a GTA1-style camera view and that's it? I've been looking at them as perhaps a way to use a Giga Missile without needing LOS to the target but that doesn't seem to work. Especially since widescreen means you see more to your side than to your front... Can you somehow tilt that view upwards?

Also why would you ever walk without the booster? The only time I disable the booster when I'm on the ground is when I try to pick up a crate drop because the collision volume on those things is just awfully tiny. Dropping the booster in the air to fall to the ground makes sense but you'd want to re-enable it when you're on the ground. Does it affect your shot stability? I've noticed that having the booster on actually drains LESS energy than walking normally (you can only see that when you're recovering from a UW activation anyway).

So many questions... Man, From sure like obtuse game design.

EDIT: By the way, what's everybody's player rank here? I'm at B and still haven't unlocked some of the parts that the model builder kit included properly. Gotta get some S ranks to advance but I'm just not good enough for that...

If you have 5 players (including bots) on your team one of them is forced into the operator role. I assume UNACs cannot be operators so it made you the Op. If you add only three UNACs to your team (i.e. leave one slot free) you deploy alongside them.

Replies bolded. Rank C, going to play tonight and do territory battles. I'm going to play with some new builds tonight. So far though my ACs are build around balanced def against all types and using a shield has been a bonus. It's hard overcoming the rock, paper, scissors mechanics they brought into this game by having armor types but I've managed to do it.

Jrs3000

There is a cruel need of screenshots for people who still haven't get an hold of the game.

pretty please ? :(

I don't have a capture card or anything so it have to be sucky cell pics. If you go to youtube though there's play through videos of all the missions including final.

thundr51

Only rank E because I'm only doing story stuff and I keep redoing missions just to get my grade up. I'm at about 4.x now and some of these duels are insane. Not sure how anybody can S-rank these....without an UW.

Ah, thanks for the tip. I just filled every slot because I assumed each would be an AC, and more is better-- didn't realize one would be an operator. Also, I found a good way to test out online is to just sign myself up as a mercenary. It's a mixed bag since I could be recruited for anything, but at least its easy to find a variety of games that way.

KDR_11k

Yeah UWs have to be very gimped due to their instakill nature, I would trade that instakill nature for a more usable weapon though.

I love the missile pod arms, it's the laser cannon arms that puzzle me. And uncharged lasers seem to do much less damage than advertised even against low defenses. Maybe on par with a KE rifle but those shoot really fast (then again KE rifles have similar advertised damage levels).

I haven't met an ancient weapon yet, do those randomly pop up as special missions or how do you get to them? In AC V you just needed to hold a territory (stupid requirement...) and you could select the bosses as missions but I haven't seen them in VD.

Replies bolded. Rank C, going to play tonight and do territory battles. I'm going to play with some new builds tonight. So far though my ACs are build around balanced def against all types and using a shield has been a bonus. It's hard overcoming the rock, paper, scissors mechanics they brought into this game by having armor types but I've managed to do it.

I just take defenses as I get them. Rule of thumb is that KE weapons tend to be shorter ranged (but the deployed stance KE weapons are devastating and it's not possible to stack enough KE def to negate that), CE damage comes mostly from missiles, TE comes in varieties but especially the pulse and plasma guns are dangerous and they're short ranged. Defense wise you see KE on lights, TE on heavies and CE on snipers (and heavy reverse joints).

Only rank E because I'm only doing story stuff and I keep redoing missions just to get my grade up. I'm at about 4.x now and some of these duels are insane. Not sure how anybody can S-rank these....without an UW.

UWs aren't good for S ranking because the self-damage and vulnerability during the looooong activation will push your repair costs up and get you down to an A ranking at best, usually worse depending on the enemy's weapons.

EDIT: Does anyone know of any similar games out there, especially indie ones? Only MAV comes to mind (as well as MWO and Hawken) but that seems too slow to let you avoid getting hit by shots aimed at you. I don't need AC level mobility where the legs become vestigial but allowing you to react to incoming shots would be nice.

KDR_11k

Sorry about bumping this but I just saw a merc fight with the player that hired him. No idea who started it since I was on the other team though since it was on Brew City I could see the laser blades go off and my guess would be that the merc started it (because why would you pay a merc just to attack him?). Is that kind of griefing common?

Team: Furry Death Squad (maybe that prompted the brawl?)
Member 55: I<3 CHOCOLATE MILK
vs Merc 1: Sterling LaVaughn

Well, it was an easy win and 55 didn't get to deploy his Giga Cannon but that was still odd.

EDIT: By the way, when are the other ESWAT members online? Never seen a single one.

Sorry about bumping this but I just saw a merc fight with the player that hired him. No idea who started it since I was on the other team though since it was on Brew City I could see the laser blades go off and my guess would be that the merc started it (because why would you pay a merc just to attack him?). Is that kind of griefing common?

Team: Furry Death Squad (maybe that prompted the brawl?)
Member 55: I<3 CHOCOLATE MILK
vs Merc 1: Sterling LaVaughn

Well, it was an easy win and 55 didn't get to deploy his Giga Cannon but that was still odd.

EDIT: By the way, when are the other ESWAT members online? Never seen a single one.

that's pretty lame..is it possible dude just didn't know what was going on? fight frenzy, thought the merc was an enemy?

Sorry about bumping this but I just saw a merc fight with the player that hired him.

Shouldn't be sorry about bumping the only thread dedicated to the game! And I haven't been on in a few days, been busy with school, Beyond, and other games. So many! I'll probably be back on sometime this weekend.

Someone should pm a mod just to add the |OT| because this is all we're getting :D

KDR_11k

that's pretty lame..is it possible dude just didn't know what was going on? fight frenzy, thought the merc was an enemy?

That would be odd though. 55 had a Giga Cannon so he probably wasn't new to AC V(D) and M1 didn't fight THAT badly either.

EDIT: Does anybody else have problems with their UNAC operations sometimes getting reset to default when restarting the game?

EDIT2: WHAT THE F### FROM SOFTWARE??? Whose brilliant idea was it to have maps include deadly radiation in a game where programming AI companions is a central feature and those AIs are completely oblivious to the radiation?

EDIT3: Also the game just loves putting those bonus crates near my spawn in PvP matches, the crates are really great for making your UNACs focus on putting 50k damage into a worthless target while the enemy team gets to take free shots at them... Yes, I have programmed my personal UNAC to prefer AC targets but the SIGNS UNACs don't include that command and will happily spend half the match on a thick crate.

EDIT4: Finally team rank E- for ESWAT!

KDR_11k

Oh man, UNACs are so f###ing dumb. From simple things like picking a side objective crate as their target and being completely unable to move around the wall in front of that (while the rest of the team gets picked off one by one) to their complete lack of environmental awareness (What, dodge into the middle of the enemy team? GREAT IDEA!). And no option to tell them to stay with you instead of charging ahead like idiots.

Also I wish you could do an AC test in a proper 4v4 environment instead of 1v1.

thundr51

I unlocked the ability to use/create my own UNACs a while ago but it seemed complicated. Now that most of the missions available include 2 ACs I guess I'll have to figure this out now...Any tips?

KDR_11k

Oh wow, I just figured out that different UWs have different lengths and severities for the post-activation power drain. The Giga Missile has the weakest and shortest by far.

EDIT: Also useful to remember: UWs overload your reactor, that means you have infinite energy for boosting available while they are active.

Lockon

Wish I have more time to play this game...its been a busy month for me (video games wise). hopefully I'll be able to play again sometimes this week. I also have 3 other games that I just bought too.

KDR_11k

Creating UNACs isn't all that tough but it's a lot of busywork because absolutely everything the things are supposed to do has to be done via chips. Make sure to feed the "action lists" of your online matches into the UNAC improvement menu, you NEED those chip upgrades to get a decent performance from your UNAC in tough fights. The programming includes even basic things like which range to go to and which weapon to use when so it must be modified as the AC loadout is changed. You get SIGNS UNACs though that are decently programmed for their role, in SP you can pick those for now, in MP you need them to pad your ranks because you can only deploy one custom UNAC.

I have never played Chromehounds and don't know how its online mode works but I think the faction war part of ACVD has only limited impact on the actual gameplay and no matter how it's structured you still play the Armored Core gameplay in the actual fights. Which means mechs with vestigial legs that race around like a crossbreed between a fighter jet and a helicopter gunship. Missile usage is somewhat reduced in the 5er AC games but it's still a game of getting locks, dodging projectiles and trying to get a good shot in. Artillery isn't really a factor, snipers are to a limited degree.

Have any ESWATters (or should I say D-SWAT now :p) come up with good UNACs? My SAM does a pretty good job when it's not falling into the many traps that AC map design has for UNACs (like too many walls, death zones, bonus crates, etc). It's designed around the WAB-123 missile arms (require a player rank somewhere around B to unlock in the store or as a random loot crate drop from online matches) and falls back on simple guns when a target has too much CE armor. I'm thinking about adding "closest" to the top of the target priority list so that it doesn't let enemies get too close instead of dodging right into the middle of the bunch at times. I think we can trade our UNAC designs in the team menu.

Wish I have more time to play this game...its been a busy month for me (video games wise). hopefully I'll be able to play again sometimes this week. I also have 3 other games that I just bought too.

Oh I know, I have like 6 or 7 games on the PS3 alone that need to be played but ACVD just keeps me busy.

Jrs3000

Don't know if that was you on last night but sorry for leaving so soon. Drop me a message when you're going to be on so we can get some missions done.

Ya that's me. We need to do some territory sorties. It will build our rank up plus you unlock parts and it helps your personal rank. I've put together some mean ACs from experience battling online.

KDR_11k

Territory sorties = special missions? Because normal missions only give you player rank for getting medals you haven't gotten before. I'm currently working on the medals for leg types I don't commonly use (I always use reverse joint if there's no pressing need for another type because they're the only ones giving bonuses to regular combat instead of ready stance). Maybe I should try mercing a little

Top Bottom