• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS Global Testpunch Thread: Let's see if this has LEGS

Soul Lab

You just use the stick to input the motion instead.
Similar to how you use the right stick to draw in w101.

Besides like every single fighting game ever being able to react quickly is kinda important, which you can literally not do using motion controls.
And how do you execute a 1-2 punch both curved in indvidual direction?

jts

...hate me...
ARMS |OT| Hold that L... + R with thumbs up

This is good.

This game is all about different ways of holding that L. Hold that L + R with thumbs up, hold that L (button) to charge punch, hold that L when you lose a fight, and hold that L for people saying ARMS was going to suck :)

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
This is good.

This game is all about different ways of holding that L. Hold that L + R with thumbs up, hold that L (button) to charge punch, hold that L when you lose a fight, and hold that L for people saying ARMS was going to suck :)
Hold that L for people that said this game wouldn't play as well without motion controls.

jts

...hate me...
Hold that L for people that said this game wouldn't play as well without motion controls.
Hold that L for people that said that people that said this game wouldn't play as well without motion controls should hold that L.

;p

Honestly though, seems too early to tell how high level play is going to develop in that regard, imo.

NotLiquid

Yes but with a lot of salt and DOA comments, that first splatoon test fire thread was a doozy.

Yeah I think people sorely forget how Splatoon's testfire wasn't all sunshine and rainbows either. Claiming there wasn't a huge pushback against the motion controls in that game either is some revisionist history, it took a good month or so until people came to terms around the advantage of them.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I think I'd be more open to the motion controls if you could use them in conjunction with the analog stick. Let me hold the joycons the regular way and use the analog stick for movement, with motion just used for the punching.

Is there a place where I can read up on each character's special ability before the Testpunch starts again? On the official page it doesn't say that Mummy can heal when blocking for instance, so not sure how complete that is.

I think I'd be more open to the motion controls if you could use them in conjunction with the analog stick. Let me hold the joycons the regular way and use the analog stick for movement, with motion just used for the punching.

Exactly. The movement part is somewhat difficult with motion controls - not the punching ( which is pretty fun ).

But I am going to master the motion. ARMS was designed with fun and flailing in mind.

ARMS |OT| Hold that L

ARMS |OT| Hold that L... + R with thumbs up

Both great.

also me after playing Min

tumblr_nj1wahHSvW1qjrmh1o1_500.jpg

jwillenn

giving it another chance this morning

going with the grip this time and reading tips section (actually just captured the entire "help" section, so yeah... going to be reading until the thing starts)

tsundoku

I enjoyed the first testpunch waywayway more then I ever expected to like this game. I'll probably give a character other then Spring Man a shot and see how other specials/arms affect my strategies.

I was of course outright refusing to touch the motion controls because I don't want to tie my movement to anything gyro.

One thing I noticed with the pro controller controls is that you cant throw two punches at the same time, its the input for grab, and if you offset the button presses enough that it doesn't register as a grab you can't seem to curve them independantly because it appears to only be tied to left stick.

With the motion controls cant you activate each punch at the same time because grab is a totally different input, and also if you want to throw them together or one after the other each one can be curved independantly with the motion controls right?

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I enjoyed the first testpunch waywayway more then I ever expected to like this game. I'll probably give a character other then Spring Man a shot and see how other specials/arms affect my strategies.

I was of course outright refusing to touch the motion controls because I don't want to tie my movement to anything gyro.

One thing I noticed with the pro controller controls is that you cant throw two punches at the same time, its the input for grab, and if you offset the button presses enough that it doesn't register as a grab you can't seem to curve them independantly because it appears to only be tied to left stick.

With the motion controls cant you activate each punch at the same time because grab is a totally different input, and also if you want to throw them together or one after the other each one can be curved independantly with the motion controls right?
Even with motion controls you cant punch both arms at the same time. Punching both arms at the same time does a grab regardless of controls.

Zakalwe

Banned
Sitting in a coffee shop in London working, will be playing this with motion controls in half an hour. Don't mind how silly I'll look, pretty hyped for this.

Still think this would work:
ARMS |OT| MAGGEDON

That doesn't work well, too clunky and forced imo.

Skrams

I get that people want to assert themselves and that their preferred control scheme is the best, but it doesn't really seem like either is a definitive winner. It's not Splatoon where motion controls to fine tune aim are king. Both just seem to work well. It'll take a bit longer to see which floats to the top. If there's nothing truly missing from just controller input then it might become the better control method just due to the inputs generally being a bit faster and easier to input.

how i charge punches

It seems like you can charge punches via blocking, holding dash, or holding jump I think? The longer you hold I think the longer the charge lasts. It can still only be thrown once, but you just have more time to make a decision on when it's thrown. This at least applies for how long you hold block. I'm not sure how it works for holding L/R.

Shahadan

ARMS |OT| It's actually pretty rad

is the only logical choice imo. But the hold that L meme shit is probably the right thing for this place, considering how popular it is here

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
The left joycon I played with last night doesn't want to sync up in handheld mode. Just shows it as a loose controller in the grip/order menu when it's hooked up. Also, holy shit the battery seems to have drained fast. Weird...

Top Bottom