• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS Impressions

TheMoon

I love everything that's been shown on this but I need it to be relatively deep to keep my attention. I'm also hoping it won't be shipped without single player and alternate modes. I get the feeling the game will be rushed out and these aspects will suffer.

You get this feeling based on anything in particular? Because there's absolutely nothing out there that could suggest this other than pessimism.

edit: this is not an attack, I'm legit curious where you get this feeling from

MADGAME

This seems like a game that would be fun to play with friends locally, but $60 for the game plus $80 for another set of joy cons puts ARMS way outside value territory for me.

Pinky

Banned
ARMS has really grown on me. The art style, control scheme, explosive action, etc... Looks wild and energetic!

The longevity was on my mind as well. Jeff from Giant Bomb mentioned feeling pretty satiated by the game after playing it for 20 minutes at the preview event, saying he couldn't really find much reason to get back to it at a later date.
So while the proof of concept is certainly there, I doubt these mechanics are enough to keep this game in people's machines for a long time. It seems pretty shallow.

it depends on characters like any fighting game. games like street fighter are very basic in its core mechanic but the various characters with their unique strength and weaknesses make the games more interesting. if you had only ryu and ken SF II would be a much worse game.

at this stage we have only seen 5 characters so there is not much we can say. it is apparent though that the game has very solid basic mechanics

I'm definitely looking forward to this. Can't wait to see what other designs they'll have in the final game.

This seems like a game that would be fun to play with friends locally, but $60 for the game plus $80 for another set of joy cons puts ARMS way outside value territory for me.

To be fair, they did confirm traditional controls are an option too, even if the game was definitely designed with the dual Joycon controls in mind.

MADGAME

I'm definitely looking forward to this. Can't wait to see what other designs they'll have in the final game.

To be fair, they did confirm traditional controls are an option too, even if the game was definitely designed with the dual Joycon controls in mind.
Can you recommend a second input method for player 2 less than $70?

Raitaro

I wish this game would be available at launch since it seems like the perfect frantic, kinetic and energetic companion piece to the slower and progression-based action found in Breath of the Wild.

I was pretty much on board with Arms at the first footage shown. I love the art style in particular but the combat seems fun as well. Now granted, it will need some good single player modes to keep me interested beyond head-to-head matches with others but hopefully those are coming indeed. (At minimum a Splatoon style campaign should suffice,i.e. one with some cool set pieces that provides the opportunity to use the same mechanics as in multiplayer but at your own pace while traversing through levels of some sort.)

Edit: also, I really think that the Arms camera viewpoint, controls and even the general art style also be a good base for/fit with a new Windjammers game (like the Giant Bomb crew mentioned as well I believe) where you can use motion controls to throw the disc with all kinds of effects. Apart from that, I'd also want to see Capcom try and make a Mega Man game that uses these controls and this perspective to create something like an arena shooter where you can use different boss weapons to combat each other while dashing around, complemented by a third person action-adventure single player mode where you fight normal enemies as well. Maybe that would work despite being very different from the classic games.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Hmm, it just occurred to me that with Smash, MK8, Splatoon and ARMS, Nintendo have enough for a decent standalone tournament showing.

Oooohhh, Nintendo 'triathlon'. Fun idea!

There will be 3rd party controllers. I believe the Hori Pro controller was leaked at around $30 or $40.

Well surely you'll be able to play two player with each using one joy con as a pad. It's not ideal, but if the mechanics are as strong as it's suggested they are, then it'll still be a load of fun.

MADGAME

Well surely you'll be able to play two player with each using one joy con as a pad. It's not ideal, but if the mechanics are as strong as it's suggested they are, then it'll still be a load of fun.
I agree, that seems like the least ideal way to play. I'll keep this game on my watchlist and maybe when the cost for ideal multiplayer couch play isn't prohibitive I will consider it.

There will be 3rd party controllers. I believe the Hori Pro controller was leaked at around $30 or $40.
I'll keep an eye out. Best case for me would be joy cons without rumble but a pro controller at that price would be a contender.

I know this is ridiculous since the game isn't even out yet but I want a 3D platformer set in the ARMS world with the extending arms gimmick. All the parts seem like they're already there, all the upgrades and glove types and stuff. I think it'd just be fun as hell. Like a 3rd person version of that VR game Windlands mixed in with a little Grow Home climbing mechanic. Like a 3rd person brawler platformer. And the bosses would be fights similar to the normal ARMS game.

Coda

I really hated the name when it was first announced, like really that's the name? But I get from a marketing standpoint that it's very clear and direct.

After watching more hands on video's and seeing the depth, I'm excited for this game now.

Was randomly watching the Treehouse for this game and while I thought it looked cool before, it looks super fun now and Ill certainly be getting it when it releases.

I know this is ridiculous since the game isn't even out yet but I want a 3D platformer set in the ARMS world with the extending arms gimmick. All the parts seem like they're already there, all the upgrades and glove types and stuff. I think it'd just be fun as hell. Like a 3rd person version of that VR game Windlands mixed in with a little Grow Home climbing mechanic. Like a 3rd person brawler platformer. And the bosses would be fights similar to the normal ARMS game.

this could be the battle theme

Speely

Banned
I really hated the name when it was first announced, like really that's the name? But I get from a marketing standpoint that it's very clear and direct.

After watching more hands on video's and seeing the depth, I'm excited for this game now.

Yeah I think the easy branding has a lot to do with it. Plus it's kinda clever. A game about limbs that are weapons, and "arms" means both upper limbs and weapons.

Also, those ARMS hoodies are dope as fuck.

RedFox85

Allot of people were dismissing Arms but I knew from the moment I watched people playing it on the show floor that it was going to be something special. People are quick to dismiss rock paper scissor styled games but that simplicity of mechanics is what attracts a hardcore devoted fanbase, there will be allot of room for skill and finesse in this one. I also get similar multiplayer fun vibes from this game as I did with powerstone back on the Dreamcast.

I am not huge on motion controls in general and am usually the first guy to say "yes but I could just do this with a button.." but the way they are implemented in arms looks like it might actually be a good time and the preferred way to play the game. I would have to see some pro controller gameplay to make that judgement fully however. What we have seen from the game so far is a very small vertical slice and I am confident that by the time the game releases it will have some neat mechanics to show off, I am hoping for some creative interactive stages fun battle modes and rule sets and HOPEFULLY some kind of decent singleplayer element like a story or some sort of campaign (though that might be asking for too much).

Did anyone else think it was really tongue in cheek that the game is releasing in "spring" haha, subtle I like it.

Steiner

Banned
My impressions for WWG

Every character has that one ability or one perk that makes them different from the rest, and that ability or perk will heavily influence the way that you formulate your offense or defense. Additionally, every character has three unique sets of arms (or gloves) that can be mixed and matched, and each arm has its own properties. One is a straight-up heavy-hitting boxing glove; another one is a revolving turret of sorts that will send out four smaller projectiles in succession; one is a giant wrecking ball that will smash through your enemies' smaller attacks on its way to pummel them in the teeth.

Free and fast movement, unique character abilities, multiple arm combinations, parries, grabs, and directional attacks... Do you see now? This isn't just a novelty. ARMS is an intense, high-impact chess match, and it's sure to challenge and delight anyone who loves a complex brawler.

samred

I'd recommend adding this video to the OP: It's Nintendo Treehouse's 31-min overview from yesterday (1/20) full of single-player and 2P battles. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGCqdZZeFtM - lots of explanations and comparisons of the various fighters and their particular hands.

Also, if Nintendo staffers are reading this: PLEASE let players hide which hands they're picking before a round. (Hold UP to pick the top one for a particular hand; hold DOWN to pick the bottom one; let go of joystick to pick the middle option; and let the HD rumble serve as a hidden confirmation that you're selecting a particular hand.)

Watching this video convinced me that this is a day-one purchase, not to mention a reason to blow another $80 on a second pair of Joy-Cons.

Tom_Cody

Nice work on the OP guek and donkey show.

I'm quite hyped for this one.

I'm interested to see Nintendo make another run at skill-based motion controlled games ten years after the release of Wii Sports. I had a lot of fun with Wii Sports, and there was a decent amount of depth in a few of the games, like the Tennis minigames specifically. Wii Sports Resort upped the game tremendously, but Sports had probably burned a lot of the public's good will towards motion controls by the time it released. Kayaking and Archery were my favorite modes. I liked the motions controls in Skyward Sword as well but they also felt a bit obtrusive at times.

Arms looks really great. I'm excited about the new controls, but I'm also excited about the general structure. I love fighting games, but they can be a bit exclusionary with their high-precision controls. The presence of extending Arms and the separation of the characters allows for the traditional tactical elements of fighting games, but with more relaxed reaction time requirements.

I'm quite excited to get my hands on this one. I'm also excited to see what additional features, modes, etc end up in the final release. Hopefully this ends up being as feature-rich as Splatoon.

Meesh

Any word on whether Arms has any create a character mode or weapon type upgrade system? Seems like that stuff might make it even more interesting... at least to me. I'll give it a go I'm sure though.

Crayon

If they can do something good with the sp and have the mp rounded out, this will be really great. Even it misses he mark with online features and single player game, it will still be really fun for a bit.

v1lla21

If I don't pick up a switch on release, I'm definitely picking one up when arms comes out. The game looks great. It can become an esport title but that's gonna rely on how well Nintendo manages it's online. That's what I'm mainly looking forward to as I probably won't have anyone to play with except my sister from time to time. Could be my next rocket league for all I know.

Top Bottom