• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS - Introducing Lola Pop - Nintendo Switch

Neiteio

e0344e5feb.jpg
GAH! SHE'S SO CUTE!

The art direction in this game is TOO STRONG

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Errr.. about that https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adeyto She is Twintelle's VA.

Okay, so after a bit of searching, I'm still not sure she's actually a native French speaker. Scratch that: she's not, at least as far as her accent and pronunciation go. I don't know if she can actually speak since I can't find any footage of her speaking French though.

Yes, she's born in Strasbourg, and one of her parents is French, but it doesn't say where pr how she grew up, she speaks only in English and Japanese on her channel - her accent in both languages doesn't really sound like that of a native French speaker anyway -, and her pronunciation sounds kinda weird when she sings in French. Heck, one of her songs is titled "Temptation de l'Ange", which is not how you would write "tentation" in French in the first place. Heck, you'd think an accomplished international artist like her would have a French wikipedia page at least if she was French, but she doesn't.

Not to take away any of her accomplishments, mind you. Just saying that she might still not be French. She definitely doesn't sound native to me, from what little I've heard. This might be a case of Nintendo favoring someone who's based in Japan and has experience with the Japanese entertainment industry. Hard to blame them for that.

... Or maybe the Alsace is strong in her or something :lol. Then again, her accent doesn't sound Alsacian to me. Or she's lived in Japan and spoken in Japanese and English for so long that she's actually lost a bit of her French. It can happen.

Neiteio

Can't decide whether she tastes tangy like tangerines or sweet like strawberries

Hopefully one of her alts is root beer-flavored, that'd be tits

Not to take away any of her accomplishments, mind you. Just saying that she might still not be French. She definitely doesn't sound native to me, from what little I've heard. This might be a case of Nintendo favoring someone who's based in Japan and has experience with the Japanese entertainment industry. Hard to blame them for that.

... Or maybe the Alsace is strong in her or something :lol. Then again, her accent doesn't sound Alsacian to me.

I have a better train of thought here. Says here she moved to Japan when she was around 22. Becoming a pop singer based in Japan while releasing French pop music in Japan would probably lead to some alterations on how you market such products.

And also she was born in France with a French mother and spending almost two decades in Japan altered her way of speaking.

Great character.

Music is influenced by European circus music, it reminds me of some of the Russian circus tropes. Maybe hint of gypsy tunes too? And for some reason I think about jewish music tradition when listening to that song. Hava Nagila and all that.

EDIT.

I'd go with strawberry and orange, we have popsicles that have that combination.

My wife loves that popsicle. We have those always in the freezer.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I have a better train of thought here. Says here she moved to Japan when she was around 22. Becoming a pop singer based in Japan while releasing French pop music in Japan would probably lead to some alterations on how you market such products.

And also she was born in France with a French mother and spending almost two decades in Japan altered her way of speaking.

Yes, I edited that in before your post. It's probably a mixture of knowing her market and losing a bit of her accent after so many years abroad. The important thing here is: I wasn't completely crazy when I thought Twintelle wasn't dubbed by a native speaker :p. Last time I remember Nintendo hiring someone to dub a French character was with Punch-Out!! on the Wii. I don't know Glass Joe's VA, but he was definitely a native French speaker. They kinda had to have a native speaker that time, because of the actual lines of dialogue and the authenticity angle they adopted for every character. Strange, when you consider that all the characters in that game are based on borderline racist stereotypes! You'd think they'd go for stereotypical accents and performances as well.

Another reason why Nintendo might have chosen this artist for Twintelle is that, while she's not some kind of idol or superstar like Twintelle is supposed to be, she's a multi-talented accomplished artist. Who better than someone like Adeyto to portray her?

Neoxon

Speaking of It, maybe Lola Pop can turn into a giant spider

Maybe Tim Curry voices her in the English version

She's made of candy!

Well her arms anyways
There is no "English version" or "Japanese version". There's only one voice track for the game, Nintendo EPD does all of the voice recording.

Neiteio

If codename "Chain" ends up being, like, Ninjara's sensei (and not just leftover code for Ninjara himself), then I can see the title screen featuring those two duking it out at Ninja College

G.ZZZ

The art direction and music is great in this game but i can't help being disappointed that this isn't a smash-style game FeelsBadMan

Mista Koo

I like her. Cool stage music too.

Although her arms look too much like Spring Man's and her nunchucks look like a leftover from Min Min.

Seriously what is the difference between Minmin and this one outside of the Nose? Both are extremely colourful due to the artstyle of the game. :(.

Both are nice and colorful. Still. For me. Min Min still has my favorite design. And.. Like the Makoto avatar kinda gives away. I like my overly serious brawler girls

beril

Wasn't very keen on the design until I saw the inflating move, that just looks hilariously awesome and super charming, and just makes the whole thing work somehow

Top Bottom