• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS |OT| (’-‘)-------------

Kyuur

Encountered another rare Mechanica player in Ranked today!

Hammers feel good to abuse priority on. I feel like most players can't predict them as well as they can megatons and other heavies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I gave in today and bought ARMS. Any tips for someone that really sucks at these kind of games?
Thanks for the tip! And already thanks to Hawkian for the guide! Guess I know what I will study during commute tomorrow.
No prob!

Biggest general advice I would say, don't feel bad/hesitate to stick at a current difficulty on GP or even go back down a level to practice more. You should be extremely confident with each level before moving on to the next. I considered GP4 extremely tough when I first did it, and now I am doing it for fun/quick coins with wrist weights on. XD

(also give motion controls a fair chance)
Can Kid Cobra's slide go under standing grabs? Tried to slide under one but it hit me. Don't know if it was due to lag or not.
I'm pretty sure it can.

Note that even if you're holding the button down for multi-dash, there is still a "gap" between each dash of a few frames, where you can be hit even with a punch. Since grabs move slowly you may have been hit during this. Remember that you can just throw a single punch to interrupt a throw tho.

Encountered another rare Mechanica player in Ranked today!

Hammers feel good to abuse priority on. I feel like most players can't predict them as well as they can megatons and other heavies.

The most tense i felt going up against someone was this player who beautifully used a combination of the hammer and whatever that flower shield arm is called. Always had me guessing which of the two was going to hit me first. I couldn't help but chuckle throughout the match and was happy to carry that L in the end watching him toy with me.

mlclmtckr

Banned
Can someone tell me how to figure out if I'm going to like this? I want a new Switch game but I'm not sure I want to pay eighty bucks for a game I don't really have a feel for.

Robiin

I'm pretty sure it can.

Note that even if you're holding the button down for multi-dash, there is still a "gap" between each dash of a few frames, where you can be hit even with a punch. Since grabs move slowly you may have been hit during this. Remember that you can just throw a single punch to interrupt a throw tho.
Yeah, I managed to slide under a few grabs after testing a bit. Love moving around with Kid Cobra. Just wish I was better at reacting close range. I am not confident at aiming mid range and up close I never react to grabs quick enough. I feel I am too often relying on my charge so whenever I don't have it active I am looking for an opening to charge rather than hitting my opponent.. Have to practice that mindset a bit more.

Can someone tell me how to figure out if I'm going to like this? I want a new Switch game but I'm not sure I want to pay eighty bucks for a game I don't really have a feel for.

If you're looking for casual play and want to play solo for most part, i would skip. If not, I would watch an hour or two of streams. It has a learning curve but is fun all the way through despite this unless learning mechanics with some depth leads you to frustration.

Do you play other fighting games?

.J.

Banned

Same here. I'm hot and cold on fighting games, and I'm interested in the combo of a) a new Nintendo IP and b) what seems to be an actually good implementation of motion control mechanics, but without a substantive single player experience and with what appears to be a pretty frustrating experience getting to lvl 4 in grand prix, I'm just not sure this is worth the cost for me either.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The most tense i felt going up against someone was this player who beautifully used a combination of the hammer and whatever that flower shield arm is called. Always had me guessing which of the two was going to hit me first. I couldn't help but chuckle throughout the match and was happy to carry that L in the end watching him toy with me.
Word... Guardian? So maybe that isn't useless either...
Yeah, I managed to slide under a few grabs after testing a bit. Love moving around with Kid Cobra. Just wish I was better at reacting close range. I am not confident at aiming mid range and up close I never react to grabs quick enough. I feel I am too often relying on my charge so whenever I don't have it active I am looking for an opening to charge rather than hitting my opponent.. Have to practice that mindset a bit more.
I know exactly what you mean, the charge can be such a leg up that sometimes I definitely forget to prioritize actual attack over getting my next one. He's so awesome though. When you string together a finesse rush it's like butter and his throw animation suits him so well. I will say once you dash into "extreme-close range" (like the distance at which it's going to be basically impossible to dodge/interrupt a grab), you should just be going HAM with rapid punches instead of trying to dodge . You'll likely interrupt any grab attempts without even trying.
Eighty? Aus? D:

You're not too shabby, most certainly better than most I fight.

Leatherface

Did someone post a link to some advanced training videos? I thought I saw something mentioned but can't find it. Any chance we can get them in the OP? Help us newbs out mangs!

Thanks man(?), that's encouraging. Obviously you are godlike, you put on pressure like a mad man and force options fast as hell but you know that already

Yeah that was meant as a compliment, sorry, haha. And well I appreciate it, but I don't think I'm all that great, it's all just practice. I mean when you get up close I actually get somewhat nervous and I'm forced to reconsider my options, I think you have the potential to do something great with him.

Robiin

Yeah that was meant as a compliment, sorry, haha. And well I appreciate it, but I don't think I'm all that great, it's all just practice. I mean when you get up close I actually get somewhat nervous and I'm forced to reconsider my options, I think you have the potential to do something great with him.
Nah the question mark was just because no gender assumption, haha.

Thanks again, I need to learn match ups though. This Mechanica in our room keeps beating me because I don't know how to handle her!

Nah the question mark was just because no gender assumption, haha.

Thanks again, I need to learn match ups though. This Mechanica in our room keeps beating me because I don't know how to handle her!

When it comes to Mechanica I always prioritize charges or grabs because of the lack of flinch she has.

Robiin

Razirel who is in our room now, sorry but there seems to be very laggy between us. Don't know if it's on my or your end..

DrDogg

They can't keep guarding forever, since their shields get weaker and attacking gives you rush meter. Keep poking/harassing them and evading or dashing if they counter.

If they dash your attacks, position yourself so that you can hit them with your other arm. Dragons are super useful to catch evades, either initiating the attack with them or positioning the beam where you think they will be, as it lingers.

Playing against the CPU in higher levels is hard but will force you to learn all all sorts of frametraps that you can apply to people.

I've very well aware of how to play against a defensive player. Doesn't change the fact that defense is currently the best strategy in this game and the meta will eventually evolve to primarily that. There's no reason to attack first unless you're spamming double Poppers/Crackers (which will be nerfed if the dev team has any sense).

Also, Dragons are not good imo. Super easy to rush down a Dragon user no matter what their other Arm is. At this point if my opponent isn't using light Arms or some sort of Electric Arm, I'm not the least bit worried about losing.

The better I get at the game the worse the game gets. It's just boring to play now.

I love people who use the Guardian. I just wait for them to put it out there, drastically cutting their movement, then I move to the same side as the Guardian and punish them severely.

malfcn

I saw a video of DSP getting bodied by one of the first ai opponents, screaming the entire time about it.

Some things never change.

Robiin

Holy shit this mechanica jesus christ you have me figured out.

Edit: good luck hitting Gore's Helix in the arena with the cars. What am I supposed to do when you are puddling behind them?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Did someone post a link to some advanced training videos? I thought I saw something mentioned but can't find it. Any chance we can get them in the OP? Help us newbs out mangs!
Yeah there were a couple, this one youtube series is fantastic. I am still pulling together some details for an advanced tips post and will include these links in there but:

Dash Guard Cancel/Parry: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agAclpmIOTA
Rush Guard Cancel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fW8PKL_KHxs
Slide Punching: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw9tGD-A3sI

Kyuur

Holy shit this mechanica jesus christ you have me figured out.

Edit: good luck hitting Gore's Helix in the arena with the cars. What am I supposed to do when you are puddling behind them?

I still really, really hate that stage. The cars should have been destructible like every other cover in the game (plus it would have been a nice little fighting game homage). Maybe people will start to ban it once we get more stages in the game. -crosses fingers-

My friends ended up getting me this as a birthday present. I like it so far but there's frustratingly little guidance on mechanics or arms or characters.

I still suck, but could I add someone to enter a GAF room? This game has an insanely steep learning curve and maybe I'll pick something up by playing with better people.

I feel like using Ribbon Girl with one pop gun arm has helped me. I'm still not that great at the game. I love it but despise it too. I haven't had much time to really play either. I feel evading I need tips in

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Arms is limted by what it's trying to do (a new fighting game), but it does it so well.

Reaching half of level 4, joining ranked soon!

My friends ended up getting me this as a birthday present. I like it so far but there's frustratingly little guidance on mechanics or arms or characters.

I still suck, but could I add someone to enter a GAF room? This game has an insanely steep learning curve and maybe I'll pick something up by playing with better people.

3970-5123-2042

Add me, I'm usually at every lobby

sirap

Shot up 4 ranks with nothing but side steps and jabs using Spring Man + toasters. Almost wish there was voice chat just to hear the outrage.

Do you mind if I add you? I don't know if we are gonna meet ingame because of different timezones, but I would want to play with ARMSGAF sometime and also because I'm mad intrigued by your Helix!

Sure, you can add me!

Added SuperBowser too

weA8wdk

^ The Discord for ARMSGAF

Biske

Shot up 4 ranks with nothing but side steps and jabs using Spring Man + toasters. Almost wish there was voice chat just to hear the outrage.

A lot of ranked is: always be stepping to the side. It's most annoying when a Ninjara steps to the side out of camera

DKL

A lot of ranked is: always be stepping to the side. It's most annoying when a Ninjara steps to the side out of camera

You know, having played enough, I can definitely conclude that side evasion teleport is not actually great or to the very least is a mind game.

If people do one evade, they can get bodied by a second arm getting thrown out with correct timing (and you don't need good timing with a charged ram ram since that shit aims itself).

If people do two evades, it's enough time for opponent arm to retract and then reset the situation.

Then you just throw Ninjara if he likes to just block and rely on this option lol

He's kinda blah, to be honest.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You know, having played enough, I can definitely conclude that side evasion teleport is not actually great or to the very least is a mind game.

If people do one evade, they can get bodied by a second arm getting thrown out with correct timing (and you don't need good timing with a charged ram ram since that shit aims itself).

If people do two evades, it's enough time for opponent arm to retract and then reset the situation.

Then you just throw Ninjara if he likes to just block and rely on this option lol

He's kinda blah, to be honest.
While I still love him I am coming to understand this is pretty much fair. If you use either evade teleport predictably (constant side evade or turtleport) they are VERY predictable. They're both best used just as mindgame tools to induce panic rather than a consistent mechanical advantage- though coming out of the air evade with a charge feels good.

IMO the real use case for the air evade teleport is toward. Because you get iframes it's like a mini, air-based version of Kid Cobra's special dash that you can do without being charged to get in close. High aggression can work well with him with certain arms and you can mix in another forward air port as bait here and there. You can actually prey on the expectation of constant grabs.

The guard teleport shines against heavy arms and their accompanying Rushes. But indeed, I concede I wouldn't be surprised if he comes to be thought of as pretty low-tier.
Rank 4, I'm a whirligig now
Me too! Whirligigs woohoo!

Top Bottom