• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS producer confirms more characters/modes, single Joy-Con controls, and more

It's pretty cool they'll have a way to play with a single joy con even if it's limited. I'm ready for more info! Please a Direct this week. 🙂

And people arent really this stupid. At least 90 procent of those who suggested that are just haters who try to find every possible way to shitpost about Switch and it's games and Nintendo. It's getting really tiring when you try to have a good conversation going and try to look for real info.

Basically, this.

Just it does not only happens with Switch.

It's more that now we're on a roll of Switch news, and biased people always pop-up like mushrooms.

Same thing happens with every console reveal.

Mandelbo

I wonder what he means by actions being limited when you're using one Joycon? Also, it's not totally clear whether the traditional button control scheme that's been mentioned before is this single Joycon scheme. Hopefully we get more concrete details on that soon.

But still, really glad that the game supports it. I was worried that multiplayer would *require* a second set of Joycons!

oti

Banned
I wonder what he means by actions being limited when you're using one Joycon? Also, it's not totally clear whether the traditional button control scheme that's been mentioned before is this single Joycon scheme. Hopefully we get more concrete details on that soon.

But still, really glad that the game supports it. I was worried that multiplayer would *require* a second set of Joycons!

🤔

Upper button = launch both arms
Left button = left arm
Right button = right arm
Lower button = defense

Analog stick = movement and arms targeting

Would that he enough? I wonder.

Really love that one Joy-Con is enough too. Not everyone wants to "get serious". And it saves money.
😅

Eh... I'm taking a wait n see. It looks ok but also smells like it could be a typical launch title that's too light on content, sets the stage for the greatly improved sequel that is what the first one should have been, etc.... We've seen this movie many times before. Not to mention the PAX South impressions on GAF were mixed, to put it nicely. I'll keep an open mind...and maybe if the VISA Promo comes back on Best Buy I'll pre-order it...I could maybe stomach ~$36, but there's zero chance I'd pay $60 for this game.

nightside

🤔

Left button = left arm
Right button = right arm
Lower button = defense

Really love that one Joy-Con is enough too. Not everyone wants to "get serious". And it saves money.
😅

Shoulder buttons for jump and the evade? Tilt the joycon for curve your punches.
Shoulder plus upper button for super move.

Can't wait to see the new characters even though I already decided to main mechanica with her hovering and punching from above.

They played a lot of Virtual On and Gundam VS and that is good.

Considering Gundam VS is THE big arena fighter in JP anyway, you can definitely see its influences in ARMS. Seeing fast falls and the focus on footsies got me hyped immediately.

And always a good time repost some ARMS gifs!

Charging your gloves' special ability (i.e. electric) then stunning.
32213019182_6c31f2e4e2_o.gif

Nullifying a throw by punching it (68 sec mark on the counter).
31551855223_a74af624ec_o.gif

Ninjara dashing out of blocking a super but gets caught at the stage borders.
32213306642_4668c2c0fe_o.gif

Getting thrown out of a super. Interestingly, Ninjara's arm health indicator resets after the first hit of the throw.
32243188671_40a508c178_o.gif

Double jump mind games on opponent wake up with Ribbon Girl.

32016819980_8b5c0bc329_o.gif

Systematically taking out Ninjara's arms with the party favor and slapamander.

32016822820_6f28a05045_o.gif

Mechanica pressuring while on the hidden trampoline with the revolvers(?).

32016598280_df4208d759_o.gif

Charged sparky stopping Master Mummy's super.

31552026444_2ba5b735b9_o.gif

Mista Koo

More characters doesn't tell us anything, they should be asking how many characters should we expect. It's probably just a few more.

🤔

Left button = left arm
Right button = right arm
Lower button = defense

😅
L: Left Punch.
R: Right Punch.
L+R: Super
A: Defense
B: Jump
X: Throw
Y: Dash

Analog: Movement and curving.

Kanhir

I’m assuming that these prototypes are created to test very basic gameplay concepts. So, what kind of concept did Arms originate as? I would imagine it started as a boxing game where the characters’ arms would stretch out…

No, it was not originally a concept for a boxing game. There are many fighting games, like Street Fighter or Super Smash Bros., or even “3D fighters” like Tekken, where the game is viewed side-on. Since the beginning of fighting games, the side view has been the mainstream, but I’ve always thought, why couldn’t we do it a little differently? However, it can be difficult to gauge depth in games where the camera is behind you. So I was absolutely convinced that it would not be suited for fighting games, which require precise distance control. But the fact that your arms extend, and that it takes a bit of time for them to impact, makes it quite likely your attacks will succeed. My idea was to have the game’s tactics revolve less around whether your attack would hit or not, and more around the timing and delay between your attacks connecting. So in pursuing a new kind of fighting game where the camera is behind you and your arms extend, Arms was born.

Fantastic. After playing the game at the demo event, I'm convinced that Nintendo did a massive disservice to this game by presenting it as a quirky sports boxing game. It's good to see that the developers agree.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Arms looks like a case where motion controls are far more fun then a standard controller.

Any chance Nintendo will put some demos up on their store? I'm going to want to play something awesome besides Zelda.

AGoodODST

You mean to tell me there is more to a game than a demo showed at a gaming event?! What?!

Seriously though, this was an interesting read. Can't wait to see more of the game.

Why did some people seriously think that the stuff in the demo's were all that there was in the full game?

Well considering everyone on GAF is aware what a demo is, it's a safe bet most of it is shitposting.

joker3782

Neo Member
Why did some people seriously think that the stuff in the demo's were all that there was in the full game?

Great to hear this news. Can't wait to see more of this game. The treehouse footage really turned me around on this game, as I wasn't really feeling it from the stuff they showed at the switch conference

jariw

People do that all the time. Just look at the things GAFers assumed with BotW based on the E3 demo (the game will not have dungeons/cities/etc). Or what GAFers now assume about 1 2 Switch, based on the few demo games we currently know about.

Or look at the pre-release threads on Splatoon, where GAF almost universally doomed it as a game that would fail.

People do that all the time. Just look at the things GAFers assumed with BotW based on the E3 demo (the game will not have dungeons/cities/etc). Or what GAFers now assume about 1 2 Switch, based on the few demo games we currently know about.

Or look at the pre-release threads on Splatoon, where GAF almost universally doomed it as a game that would fail.

do some gaffers already predict W101 numbers for this game?

I'm really surprised by the depth of the gameplay after seeing the GIFs above. This game looks promising indeed.

Vinnk

It's funny how fast threads with good news about the Switch die.

But yeah, super pumped for this. Which is strange because the reveal did nothing for me. It was the later treehouse presentation that sold me on it.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder how robust the online part of Arms will be. I'm really hoping for solid leaderboards/league shit, that stuff might totally sell me for a day one purchase for this game.

I absolutely love how Nintendo designs their game characters after they figure out game mechanics. It gets you things like Spring Man and Ribbon Girl which stem from the idea of launching arms rather than someone's isolated design idea. It's such a Nintendo thing that you rarely see in this industry.

I'm hoping that the single player mode is fairly substantial but I'm kind of expecting it not to be. Just a normal vs. CPU mode.

atom519

Super excited for ARMS, and nice to get confirmation about additional modes and fighters.

With that said, I have a sinking suspicion that we will see this get pushed to summer. :(

WesFX

Neo Member
I started getting really excited for this once I thought of it as more of a DiveKick than a Street Fighter. Less mechanics to fiddle with than SF, more than DK, more intuitive controls than either. No, I don't think this game will have a competitive scene, but I don't need it to, I can just (hopefully) enjoy it for a few weeks then move on.

I was trying to come up with my five most anticipated 2017 releases and this is one of them :)

psyfi

Banned
It looks nice, but I don't think this could hold my attention for longer than 1 or 2 goes.
This is the kind of game you want to delve into and learn deep. It's about strategy, personal style, and developing skill. I can't imagine only playing once or twice and not wanting to go further. I guess if you're not into competitive games, that drive to learn and get better wouldn't be there.

Also, can I take a moment to say how weird it feels to be excited by a competitive fighting game made by Nintendo? It's a genre I don't usually care about by a publisher I usually don't associate with competitive games. It's nice to be so excited about a new Nintendo title again. :)

With that said, I have a sinking suspicion that we will see this get pushed to summer. :(
I don't see any reason to suspect that. It seems pretty far along to me. Plus Nintendo really needs to get another big first party game out the door.

Neoxon

Hopefully this game won't rely too much on the right stick or analog controls. I'd like to be able to use an arcade stick.

I feel daft for not making the Virtual On connection sooner, you can clearly see the influence of it in ARMS when pointed out. I love VO so that has me excited :)

The moment I saw the control scheme I noticed it was basically lifted from Virtual ON with just a couple of changes here and there. The ability for each arm to have a different weapon just adds to it.

noshten

I probably will bite - although I'm not a big fighting game fan, this looks unique enough to invest some time.

noshten

If you don't mind me asking, what don't you like about fighting games?

They just bore me, I bought Pokken and spend like 30 minutes playing it and haven't played it since. I bought SSB mainly for the local and have spend maybe a couple of hours tops playing it alone - still haven't got the faintness clue what I'm doing in that game.

phanphare

Banned
On game origins said:
I’m assuming that these prototypes are created to test very basic gameplay concepts. So, what kind of concept did Arms originate as? I would imagine it started as a boxing game where the characters’ arms would stretch out…

No, it was not originally a concept for a boxing game. There are many fighting games, like Street Fighter or Super Smash Bros., or even “3D fighters” like Tekken, where the game is viewed side-on. Since the beginning of fighting games, the side view has been the mainstream, but I’ve always thought, why couldn’t we do it a little differently? However, it can be difficult to gauge depth in games where the camera is behind you. So I was absolutely convinced that it would not be suited for fighting games, which require precise distance control. But the fact that your arms extend, and that it takes a bit of time for them to impact, makes it quite likely your attacks will succeed. My idea was to have the game’s tactics revolve less around whether your attack would hit or not, and more around the timing and delay between your attacks connecting. So in pursuing a new kind of fighting game where the camera is behind you and your arms extend, Arms was born.

I love how Nintendo comes up with new game ideas

Neoxon

They just bore me, I bought Pokken and spend like 30 minutes playing it and haven't played it since. I bought SSB mainly for the local and have spend maybe a couple of hours tops playing it alone - still haven't got the faintness clue what I'm doing in that game.
What about the likes of Street Fighter & Tekken?

I don't like fighting games either, the core gameplay just feels dull. Not my genre at all.

Only that kind of game I've played a lot is that old PC wrestling game where you were fighting against a clown and a sumo wrestler and when you hit them they'd bleed stuff like ham etc. Fun game.

ARMS feels fresh though, and I might even get it. Never bought any of the Smash series, played Tekken when I was young but kind of hated it. But it is a fighting game, and those grow old super fast for me...

psyfi

Banned
I probably will bite - although I'm not a big fighting game fan, this looks unique enough to invest some time.
I have zero interest in most fighting games, with only a slight bit more interest in Smash than its contemporaries. Arms looks fun as hell, though.

ARMS was going to be my reason to buy an extra set of Joy-Con, but this interview gives me a reason to just wait! I hope that the vast majority of multiplayer games on Switch support single Joy-Con play. It'll save me some cash in the long run.

Top Bottom