• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS producer confirms more characters/modes, single Joy-Con controls, and more

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I have a feeling this is has the potential to be a Splatoon-like surprise when it comes to sales/popularity.

noshten

What about the likes of Street Fighter & Tekken?

I've played old school SF and Tekken tag it's fun when I do it with some friends but solo play is boring to me.

I have a feeling this is has the potential to be a Splatoon-like surprise when it comes to sales/popularity.

If this sales 4 million it's going to be one of the most successful fighting games this gen... it's possible but I doubt it has the same level of mass appeal as Splatoon.

noshten

Lanky.png

Do it Nintendo. He must return without style and grace!

You know what's an even better idea for DLC characters

e5061514d5c10a869eba55c88d14bf945a4147871544afc4bbaa14904877f84d_1.gif

routerbad

Banned
Eh... I'm taking a wait n see. It looks ok but also smells like it could be a typical launch title that's too light on content, sets the stage for the greatly improved sequel that is what the first one should have been, etc.... We've seen this movie many times before.

You really haven't seen this movie with Nintendo. They're very particular about releasing games that are finished and fleshed out. That and all of the developers talk about the depth and strategy the game has to offer.

Totally understand a wait and see approach to any game buying decision though. $60 is a lot of money.

WesFX

Neo Member
Totally understand a wait and see approach to any game buying decision though. $60 is a lot of money.

I feel like I heard $50 somewhere, but I'm not seeing anything on Google......that's what I had been believing until now. This is significantly more intriguing if it's not budget priced.

Crom

People do that all the time. Just look at the things GAFers assumed with BotW based on the E3 demo (the game will not have dungeons/cities/etc). Or what GAFers now assume about 1 2 Switch, based on the few demo games we currently know about.

Or look at the pre-release threads on Splatoon, where GAF almost universally doomed it as a game that would fail.

Beat me to it. I was going to say the reaction of quite a few reminds me of some reactions to the Splatoon reveal and how wrong they were

Crom

Cuningas de Häme;229818008 said:
I don't like fighting games either, the core gameplay just feels dull. Not my genre at all.

Only that kind of game I've played a lot is that old PC wrestling game where you were fighting against a clown and a sumo wrestler and when you hit them they'd bleed stuff like ham etc. Fun game.

ARMS feels fresh though, and I might even get it. Never bought any of the Smash series, played Tekken when I was young but kind of hated it. But it is a fighting game, and those grow old super fast for me...

I don't like fighting games either but I love Punch Out. This game seems more like Punch Out than Street Fighter which is why I am sold on it

Da-Kid

Why was more modes in question?
Shitposting. I'm just going to start calling this willful stupidity the "New IP Trolling Cycle" for Nintendo games. Here's how it goes.

-New game revealed. Immediately judge the games worth based on its limited demo.
-Make a leap in logic and assume the demo is all there is to the game as if it is the full game.
-Call it a eShop game because, because.
-Make absurd assumptions based off nothing/completely contradictory from what the developer said.
-Immediately predict the game will fail and not appeal to anyone despite overwhelmingly positive impressions.
-Act stupid and seem like you don't know that more things are revealed about a game the closer it gets to launch.
-Whatever the game is priced, devalue it to $15-$30.
-The game will flop, no matter what. It will and must.

wildfire

Banned

Splatoon is a system seller in a genre that definitely sells systems. SF2, MK2 and Killer Instinct were that good back then but I don't think fighting games have maintained their compelling popularity. Smash obviously pushes console sales but I don't see the other modern fighting games having as noticeable an impact as Smash or Splatoon did in increasing console sales over a 1 month period.

Cuburt

The game looks great and sounds very promising in terms of content.

It definitely seems like Nintendo is approaching this game as a competitive game but also accessible and unique.

This could be another hit for them like Splatoon.

Epcott

Thread has convinced me to get it. I wonder if you'll be as active throwing jabs and blows as the two actors in the original presentation.

Shame we don't have a release date yet.

routerbad

Banned
Shitposting. I'm just going to start calling this willful stupidity the "New IP Trolling Cycle" for Nintendo games. Here's how it goes.

-New game revealed. Immediately judge the games worth based on its limited demo.
-Make a leap in logic and assume the demo is all there is to the game as if it is the full game.
-Call it a eShop game because, because.
-Make absurd assumptions based off nothing/completely contradictory from what the developer said.
-Immediately predict the game will fail and not appeal to anyone despite overwhelmingly positive impressions.
-Act stupid and seem like you don't know that more things are revealed about a game the closer it gets to launch.
-Whatever the game is priced, devalue it to $15-$30.
-The game will flop, no matter what. It will and must.

A few modifications to this list and it can apply to pretty much anything Switch related right now, lol.

I like it.

ARMS looks incredible. I had the same reactions everyone else did when they first made me watch a minute and a half of two people staring each other down. It looked silly to me, until they showed gameplay.

Doorman

Thread has convinced me to get it. I wonder if you'll be as active throwing jabs and blows as the two actors in the original presentation.

Shame we don't have a release date yet.

Based on the design of the game itself, the only time you'd be throwing punches anything close to "rapidly" would be during the flurry rush (I know that's actually the Zelda term but the name they're using for super-gauge use in this eludes me right now). Otherwise, as Yabuki mentions in the interview, the game is based around that delay between throwing the punch and having it connect (or miss).

If you mean this in terms of how dramatically the actors are throwing punches with full arm-extension and such, you certainly could play it that way...but it'd be a good way to tire yourself out quickly too. :p

WarRock

People doubting about a single player campaign with different levels and multiple opponents never played Mission Mode on Gundam vs Gundam, right?

Josh5890

I feel like this game will really take off. Hopefully it comes out in May like Splatoon did back in 2015. I look forward to the inevitable ARMS direct in April/May :)

I hope for a simple fighting game style arcade mode, a training mode, and a roster of at least 10 characters.

We'll see what we end up with. I'm looking forward to ARMS!

13ruce

Banned
I will do the wait and see approach for ARMS, did the same with Splatoon (i still don't own that game but i will buy 2!). If the reception and content is good for ARMS i will buy it, i am just save with new IP's.

jdstorm

Banned
Honestly this game feel like the Rocket League of 3D fighters.

Arena based, high production values, simple to pickup, hard to master. Local multiplayer without having to buy extra controls. I think it will do really well.

Especially if they announce a 1v1v1v1 4 player mode and possibly a 2v2 mode

Tom_Cody

This is the bit of the interview that got me most intrigued:

Q: The character designs are quite interesting too. Their arms are things like springs, ribbons, and bandages.

A: The five characters in the demo are all pretty straightforward, with the ‘spring’ motif as their basis. Well, aside from the girl riding in the robot (laughs). There will be more bizarre characters like her appearing in the game. The cast will be very varied, with everyone having their own unique features.

ghibli99

Sounding good... this could potentially be the biggest surprise on the system if it delivers the technical depth they're talking about.

I'm hoping that they focus on giving the characters some backstory and interesting personalities - at least more than they have so far. I think that may be a better/more effective way to lure people in than trying to explain the game-play. I feel like world-building and interesting characters are what helped franchises like Splatoon and Overwatch gain traction.

I'm hoping that they follow the Splatoon route and keep other IP out, at least at launch. Let it be its own thing; stand on its own 2 feet for a while.

V-Faction

One thinks, "Stretchy limbs? How absurd!" But then you slowly realize how ripe this IP is for guest characters based on that alone.

So far, we've got:
- Lanky Kong
- Stretch Armstrong
- Monkey D. Luffy
- Dhalsim
- Mr. Fantastic
- Hitmonlee
- Duo Lon
- Piccolo

Move over Smash Bros., a new champ (of cameos) has been born.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Yeah, it's Nintendo short changing us again. Why won't they give us 4 arms per character?? I have to pay $60 for a fighting game and they don't give us 4 arms per character is SAD!

Didn't realise there were unique arms, do we know what they are so far.

RRockman

Banned
I read through that thread I mean specifically what characters get what unique arms because we've seem the dragon arm on another character so I'm wondering what they are.

Oh, sorry. as far as we know she is the only one with a unique ARM. The other unrevealed characters may have some but we don't know yet.

Doorman

Oh, sorry. as far as we know she is the only one with a unique ARM. The other unrevealed characters may have some but we don't know yet.
The laser-firing dragon Arm is not unique to Minmin. They just presented it with very confusing messaging in revealing it alongside her and mentioning the synergy with her left arm becoming dragonlike when charged.

Seems for whatever reason like most of Nintendo's big video presentations for this game don't do a very good job of properly informing people on what's going on.

Top Bottom