• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arms UPDATE - Version 2.0 Released

I wish we could remap the controls. I wanted to keep playing, last night, but my left thumb is still sore from playing too much two days ago - I guard a lot to charge my punches, but, eventually, keeping that stick pushed becomes uncomfortable and I start losing. It's not the first time I'd like to play the game but don't because my fingers still hurt.

Changelog:

•Snake Park has been swapped out for Sky Arena in the Ranked Match

•Increased the penalty for disconnecting during Ranked Match play.

•Shortened the amount of time necessary for the following ARMS to return after being extended, making them easier to use: Megaton, Megawatt, Revolver, Retorcher, Boomerang

•Increased movement speed of the Guardian.

•Improved visibility during charge attacks for the Popper and Cracker.

•Increased the amount of time necessary for the following ARMS to return after being knocked down, increasing risk: Popper, Cracker, Hydra

•Increased the amount of time it takes to recover when a grab is deflected with a single punch.

•Decreased the amount of damage when the Hydra’s rush connects with multiple consecutive hits.

•Decreased the distance Kid Cobra travels when jumping.

•Fixed issue where in some instances Ribbon Girl could remain airborne for an overlong period of time while continually attacking.

I can't believe it. Nintendo did the exact right move with this patch.

A publisher listened to community feedback.

Folks, I feel really positive about the future of this game.
Removing Snake Park means they understand what's the right choice is, instead of sticking to pushing their original ideas. They're willing to admit flaws.
I'm returning to Arms!

The rage quit penalty was also great. Thought it might be months before that came!

Finally, I didn't know that ribbon girl "punching hover" thing was a glitch. I'll have to learn a new aggro strategy now lol

Yukinari

Kid Cobra nerf was justified as were the grab and Arms changes.

Maybe now heavy characters are usable and not complete punching bags.

Does the Guardian speed change affect the grinding method for coins? Cause i imagine this means the CPU will actually put up a fight now in V-Ball

Neiteio

It's amazing how a new character can make the whole game feel brand new again. Reminds me of when Mewtwo was added to Smash 4.

Hopefully the next new character isn't far off. It's anyone's guess when it'll come, but I think they may be aiming for "sooner" to build the game's momentum.

I really like how they changed the title screen to reflect the new character, btw; hopefully they'll do that for future additions to the roster, as well.

It's amazing how a new character can make the whole game feel brand new again. Reminds me of when Mewtwo was added to Smash 4.

Hopefully the next new character isn't far off. It's anyone's guess when it'll come, but I think they may be aiming for "sooner" to build the game's momentum.

I really like how they changed the title screen to reflect the new character, btw; hopefully they'll do that for future additions to the roster, as well.

It's more than a new character. Max is fine but he isn't what's breathing new life into the game.

Vash63

Great update. Will be cool to see how Splatoon's updates fare too. Makes me wonder how good Nintendo would be if they treated their multiplayer titles as Games as a Service like Valve's for true long term support.

Zedark

•Snake Park has been swapped out for Sky Arena in the Ranked Match stage roster.
YAAAASSS!

Not that I couldn't win on that stage, I won some matches, but it is just so far remove from skilled fighting. Glad it's gone from ranked, and sky arena is a beautiful arena to boot!

JCX

They should remove 3 player FFA from Party mode. Just like in 3 player smash, it largely turns into a beat down on the person in the middle.

They should remove 3 player FFA from Party mode. Just like in 3 player smash, it largely turns into a beat down on the person in the middle.
It's party mode, it's supposed to be silly fun. 3 player FFA is goofy and dumb and reflects the tone of Party mode perfectly.

Really like this update, Max Brass is rad and it's great to see them actively listening to feedback even this early on! I'm excited to see what's coming next, since Max was still functionally part of the base game. Whoever is next will presumably be brand new!

Maybe they can even make V-ball not completely awful.

This is stupid

Max just fights a different colored Max in the final round

I'm guessing he does the same thing with Hedlock

Laaaaaame

JCX

It's party mode, it's supposed to be silly fun. 3 player FFA is goofy and dumb and reflects the tone of Party mode perfectly.

It's not fun though, even when I win. It's the main reason I don't play Party mode often, even though all the other game types inside are pretty good.

A mode stops being fun when it breaks the norms of the game. In 3 player FFA, grabs are abused more often because you can easily grab someone who just attacked someone else while the attacked person is stunned. If someone attacks you from the back, it is difficult to dodge or use arms to break a grab.

Even a 4 player FFA would be an upgrade from this mode.

Party mode is good for trying new characters against humans instead of CPUs without the risk of harming your rank.

Similar to ranked mode in Splatoon 2, maybe rank should be tied to each individual character.

On topic though, love the update. Max is awesome, and snake park being removed is great.

ryushe

Man, I really wished this game had a decent single player campaign or something that didn't focus on fighting other players. I really like everything about ARMS but I know I'll get tired of it within a week.

Neoxon

For that Spring Man must've had 0 natural ability and would have to be super knowledgable of all the other fighters. Also Max Brass would've had to have given spring man some of his power.
Wait, that sounds more like Mechanica.

Litri

Nice update but I think I will bite in later this year when a few more characters and stages are available.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
So can we expect events like Splatfest in ARMS?

Also, here's the new title screen.

DEfzHM6UAAApoi3

Fantastic title screen

Neiteio

Fantastic title screen
It seems to revert to the normal title screen after you've played awhile, although the new title screen comes back every time you boot the game up.

I'm excited to see the future title screens introducing the future new characters. :-O

GokouD

Shortened the amount of time necessary for the following ARMS to return after being extended, making them easier to use: Megaton, Megawatt, Revolver, Retorcher, Boomerang

Awesome, I always use the Megaton and Megawatt so this is a nice buff. Very glad to see the back of Snake Park as well.

PetrCobra

Wait, hold up. This actually works?

No it doesn't I tried it once, and it works at first, but as you are moving the joycons independently, the game figures out that they are separate and switches to the motion control mode automatically.

Edit:

Yeah, you can see the you've done it right if on the ARM select screen it doesn't show the thumbs up grip. And you can Switch between them on the fly just by pressing X/Y.

Well, this looks like I might have been doing something wrong.

mugwhump

I really like the sound of those balance updates.

But I think my most wanted change is still a change to the matchmaking formula when you're doing local co-op in a party lobby. One person will be sitting out way too often. Although I haven't played in like a month so maybe they fixed it.

I didn't want to jump into this before Splatoon 2, but this update convinced me to grab a copy later today.

I want to witness how the game evolves over time. Indeed seems like it'll have legs :)

Regiruler

This is what I feared, I'll never know what it was like to play on Snake Park in ranked. A sensation is forever lost to me.

Curse this paper

weekev

Banned
Yeah, you can see the you've done it right if on the ARM select screen it doesn't show the thumbs up grip. And you can Switch between them on the fly just by pressing X/Y.
Wow thanks for this! Still don't understand why there isn't a simple toggle. How hard would it be to add a "choose a control scheme" a la MK8D?

This sounds like a solid update. I'll have to take a break from Breath of the Wild to give it a go. It's great to see Nintendo making significant changes and tweaks to what was already a fun game. Keep 'em coming!

Top Bottom