• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arms UPDATE - Version 2.0 Released

Hey this sounds pretty solid, haven't really played much since launch but even small gestures like no bloomin' snake park in ranked tells me they're on the right track.

weekev

Banned
Wait, really? You can't do that? I don't have my Switch yet (it's on order), but that was going to be my primary way of playing games on the TV. Is there something in the Joycon grip that talks to the Switch?
You can do it on every other game except Arms. Folks have said it's possible in Arms but I haven't been able to figure it out how to do it yet.

Wait, really? You can't do that? I don't have my Switch yet (it's on order), but that was going to be my primary way of playing games on the TV. Is there something in the Joycon grip that talks to the Switch?

Naw, you're good with that setup. The Switch recognizes when the JoyCon are in the Grip vs separate. It's just when you've got them detached sans Grip that you can only use motion controls.

Neoxon

How is it a crazy theory?
Max was on the game
The Stage was on the game
The 3 arms were on the game.

Then why wasnt Max playable on launch?
I understand that they want more updates to have people coming back to the game. But I really think Max should have been playable from day one unless they really couldnt finish it on time (I doubt it).
To be fair, Nintendo's doing the same thing with the umbrella shotgun in Splatoon 2. It's in the single player, but it's not useable elsewhere at launch.

Loz246789

In regards to the grip - there's nothing in the grip itself. It's all in the positioning of the joy cons. If you hold the joy cons flat instead, and close togetherish, it should definitely work without motion controls.

Black_Red

In regards to the grip - there's nothing in the grip itself. It's all in the positioning of the joy cons. If you hold the joy cons flat instead, and close togetherish, it should definitely work without motion controls.

Yeah, but the best part of split controllers is playing on the bed with your arms on the side :(

To be fair, Nintendo's doing the same thing with the umbrella shotgun in Splatoon 2. It's in the single player, but it's not useable elsewhere at launch.

Yes, they did the same with Splatoon 1, they're doign the same with Splatoon 2 and they kind of do the same thing with some of the event Pokemons on Pokemon when you cant capture them until some months after release.
I understand their objective, but it's kind of annoying.

mebizzle

Yeah, but the best part of split controllers is playing on the bed with your arms on the side :(

Yes, they did the same with Splatoon 1, they're doign the same with Splatoon 2 and they kind of do the same thing with some of the event Pokemons on Pokemon when you cant capture them until some months after release.
I understand their objective, but it's kind of annoying.

Be thankful theyre not taking the Pokemon approach, there are event Pokemon that technically never got released.

Yukinari

The skate park has great music but its gimmick is like Smash 4 levels of intrusive to the core gameplay. I legit love the theme but its so garbage to play.

The majority of the stages are more about the shape or obstacles that you can use as cover/traverse.

Getting on two spinning tops and missing every punch until someone falls off is asinine.

TeegsD

A clarification about split Joy Con, I seemed to have made a mistake. Press L+R as you would when selecting your ARMS, but in game press A and B a couple of times to start punching with them, the game will then recognize it as a Grip setting and let you play like that unless you do some motion movement.

I've personally found "some motion movement" to be any little movement at all. Playing with both joycons on each side of me like a loaf on my couch was my favorite thing to do. Its very jarring being able to punch with buttons for a few seconds to having it spaz out back to motion controls. I've since switched to only using motion controls so havent dealt with it in awhile.

Berordn

Yay! update! Surely they toned down CPU cheating on high difficulty.

No. no they did not.

Seriously. I can kick ass with Max online, but anything above CPU 4 manages to predict my every move perfectly and keep me locked down. I realize I should just git gud and become transcendental in my predictions and CPU reads but that's just not fun when real people are a much fairer fight.

Neiteio

ARMS was great from the start, and it's only been out for like a month, so it's not like the game was hurting for new content.

But man, adding playable Max Brass and his awesome weapons (LOVE the Nades) and selectable Sky Arena with its amazing music, as well as Hedlok Scramble and the stat-tracking and all these balance tweaks sure adds to the experience. Makes me excited to see what they'll add next.

Also, the apparent lack of even mild homing on Max's gloves make them more fun to use, IMO. I feel like I have greater control over the Nades and Roasters as a result. The Nades in particular may be my favorite weapons in the game; I love their grenade texture and explosive after-effect.

Neiteio

A note: If you look at the Set ARMS screen, with its grid of all of the arms, there's enough room for five more sets of arms. By "enough room," I mean you could expand the grid that many times and still have enough room to account for overscan. So maybe we're looking at five more characters, tops, after Max Brass, for 16 characters total.

I'd think that at least three more characters are a safe bet, for 14 total and 42 unique arms.

mas8705

How is it a crazy theory?
Max was on the game
The Stage was on the game
The 3 arms were on the game.

Then why wasnt Max playable on launch?
I understand that they want more updates to have people coming back to the game. But I really think Max should have been playable from day one unless they really couldnt finish it on time (I doubt it).

One word: Balancing

Considering how we have a man who is one half Spring Man and one half Master Mummy, it would be safe to say that someone like that can be seen as slightly broken in comparison to the rest of the cast (or at least a fair sum of them). As such, it probably would be a good idea to make sure that he is ready to go and make him the special final boss before working him into a playable character.

A note: If you look at the Set ARMS screen, with its grid of all of the arms, there's enough room for five more sets of arms. By "enough room," I mean you could expand the grid that many times and still have enough room to account for overscan. So maybe we're looking at five more characters, tops, after Max Brass, for 16 characters total.

I'd think that at least three more characters are a safe bet, for 14 total and 42 unique arms.

An interesting thing to note. While it is good to know that we might see at least five more characters and about 15 additional arms (if we are taking slight random guesses here), the thing I like to know is how frequently will they update ARMS? Monthly? or Bimonthly?

mas8705

I was really bummed to find out that this wasn't an option. Was playing my Switch in the backyard and couldn't understand why ARMS wasn't working with my split controls!

Anyway, I love how meaty this update is. Gives me tons of hope for the future of the game. I really enjoy having it on my Switch for some quick play every now and then.

Did you try and split the controls so that one joycon was player one and the other was player two by going into the controller set up?

One word: Balancing

Considering how we have a man who is one half Spring Man and one half Master Mummy, it would be safe to say that someone like that can be seen as slightly broken in comparison to the rest of the cast (or at least a fair sum of them). As such, it probably would be a good idea to make sure that he is ready to go and make him the special final boss before working him into a playable character.

An interesting thing to note. While it is good to know that we might see at least five more characters and about 15 additional arms (if we are taking slight random guesses here), the thing I like to know is how frequently will they update ARMS? Monthly? or Bimonthly?

Best bet is monthly.

Top Bottom