• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Around 100 killed overnight in Homs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

The humans in the world of Xenoblade are called "Homs." Such a crass, disgusting thing to break a joke or a reference to a video game for something like this. I honestly thinking of putting Sadsic on my ignore list, although that will pretty much breaking my own rules of never putting anyone in an ignore list in Internet forums. Such a terrible way of trying to look "cool" or "funny" or "witty" or whatever.

Also, fuck Assad. I can't imagine the supposed "leader" of a country doing this kind of atrocity to his own citizens.

God, I didn't even get the joke. I just thought it was fucking inappropriate any which way.

Are you serious Solid? You won't accept that the Syrian Government is brutally suppressing its own people in the face of a pretty bloody large wall of evidence, but you'll spill crackpot NATO conspiracy theories about pretexts for invasions? I don't deny that politics is involved in when and where to intervene, but it's a necessary consequence of a world in which not everything can be covered at once.

It's likely the rebels have blood on their hands as well, but that doesn't mean you just stand to the side and let the government have their way with civilians.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Hey look, the Syrian government defender is back!

Wonder how long he will last this time defending those guys...

So it was the Shabiha? Didn't think they still existed, thought it was a short run for them.
Either way, Al-Qaeda, or Shabiha, both are terrorist organizations that attack civilians and that need to go burn.

Either way, Al-Qaeda, or Shabiha, both are terrorist organizations that attack civilians and that need to go burn.
Except one co-ordinates with the military and wears army fatigues. They are all to similar to the Interahamwe militia in this instance. Being supported by Assad's forces to do the "dirty-work."

Except one co-ordinates with the military and wears army fatigues. They are all to similar to the Interahamwe militia in this instance. Being supported by Assad's forces to do the "dirty-work."

They used to do their stuff in civilian clothing. But it's possible they do coordinate with the military. Though, sectarian issues alone can "give them a reason" to do what they do.

But it's possible they do coordinate with the military. Though, sectarian issues alone can "give them a reason" to do what they do.
The conducted a ground assault shortly following the Syrian army's shelling. They knew when to strike and where to mass. This cannot be done in a place where military snipers watch the streets. Let's not be ignorant of the facts of the matter. This militia is Assad backed conducting operations for the military so the regime can absolve themselves. The same thing was going on in Rwanda and in some form in every genocide in modern history.

noah111

Still Alive
Shabiha is an urban adjective for thugs, it's not an organization.
More or less, right. Like if a rich guy walks into a restaurant with five guys surrounding/behind him, someone might joke 'who's that guy and his shabiha'. Like a negative equivalent of an entourage I guess. But I digress, thugs is generally accurate. Though maybe it's not an origination in that sense, the word (and use of it) does insinuate a degree of connection/collaboration between the members, not random.

Clipjoint

1338111366-clip-265kb.jpg

This image isn't from Syria, it's from Iraq.

http://www.theatlantic.com/internat...oto-from-a-real-massacre/257733/#.T8PeA5yWVc4

This whole conflict is a terrible shade of grey where the 2 sides seem to have very shifty agendas and which ever news broadcasts you listen to will decide which side people at home will take.

I think it will be very much like what happend in former Yugoslavia. The FSA and FSA backers will try to do everything in their power for some sort of international help/intervention by any means. And the media will focus in/sensationalize the attrocities by one side only (making sure to stir up as much emotion as possible) while ignoring/marginalizing attrocities crimes commited by another side. We'll only know for sure years after this is done

Muslim Brotherhood activists using false images to help their agenda? I'm shocked.

It looks like that OP is a MB as well. I mean their weapon of choice is Google image results and youtube videos. nothing concrete yet to help their case.

Anyway, Western Powers will never be held accountable for their atrocities in Iraq & Afghanistan. International Criminal Tribunals are for "Rogue States".

That wording has hurt my head. But yeah, he's obviously done stuff. I think what he's debating is what exactly he's done... I think...

ive never seen him challenge any account from the syrian regime and I certainly dont remember him posting earlier in the uprising, before the FSA even existed, when it was mainly unarmed protesters being shot at every friday.
he casts doubt and scorn almost 100% in one direction.

By Associated Press, Updated: Tuesday, May 29, 1:47 PM

PARIS — French President Francois Hollande says Syria’s ambassador is being expelled amid continuing violence by Syrian government forces against civilians and opposition members.
Good on france.

On Tuesday, spokesman Rupert Colville of the U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights said U.N. monitors who visited the area found that fewer than 20 of the dead were killed by artillery fire. The rest appeared to have been shot at close range.
"What is very clear is this was an absolutely abominable event that took place in Houla, and at least a substantial part of it was summary executions of civilians, women and children," he told reporters in Geneva. "At this point, it looks like entire families were shot in their houses."
Im betting these families were targeted because they were Sunni, not just because they had anti regime leanings.. you typically see this kind of savagery in violence with a sectarian dimension. This is the work of Alawite gangs.

Im betting these families were targeted because they were Sunni, not just because they had anti regime leanings.. you typically see this kind of savagery in violence with a sectarian dimension. This is the work of Alawite gangs.
this post is filled with anti-alawite bigotry.

from the beginning, i had my own suspicions that the families were killed due to sectarian violence.

Rupert Colville, a spokesman for the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, said the conclusions were based on accounts gathered by UN monitors and corroborated by other sources. He said UN monitors found that fewer than 20 of the 108 people killed in the west-central area of Houla were killed by artillery fire.
the rest (88 civilians) were killed in a separate incident (close range shooting/knives).

“Most of the rest of the victims were summarily executed in two separate incidents,” Colville told reporters in Geneva. “At this point it looks like entire families were shot in their houses.”

Syrian army being aided by Iranian forces

Iran confirms Quds force's presence in Syria with Revolutionary Guards commander saying troops 'helped prevent more massacres'

A senior commander in Iran's Revolutionary Guards has admitted that Iranian forces are operating in Syria in support of Bashar al-Assad's regime.

Ismail Gha'ani, the deputy head of Iran's Quds force, the arm of the Revolutionary Guards tasked with overseas operations, said in an interview with the semi-official Isna news agency: "If the Islamic republic was not present in Syria, the massacre of people would have happened on a much larger scale."

Isna published the interview at the weekend but subsequently removed it from its website.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/may/28/syria-army-iran-forces

There is your "3rd" party.

this post is filled with anti-alawite bigotry.

from the beginning, i had my own suspicions that the families were killed due to sectarian violence.

the rest (88 civilians) were killed in a separate incident (close range shooting/knives).

I have nothing against Alawites. I dont have any kind of investment in Sunni and Shia Islam, I'm just forming a conclusion based on the evidence. if the atrocities took place in Christian or Alawite villages, I'd blame the FSA or Al Qaeda.

Iran was accused since the beginning of the unrest but there is no evidence available to support your claim.

I went to "ISNA" website and found this instead:
Iran says it supports Syria without any interference

TEHRAN (ISNA) -The Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff of Iran's Armed Forces Major General Hassan Firouzabadi said Iran supports Syria without any interference in its affairs.

Firouzabadi referred to western countries' claim against Iran which accused Iran of interfere in Syrian issues, saying the West is Iran's enemy and seeks an excuse to rise against Iran.

Iranian senior official added the country does not meddle in Syrian affairs, but would support Damascus which is a fighting front-line against Zionist regime since one of Iran's doctrines is Palestine's issue.

He went on to say that Zionists with the support of the U.S. and Europe aim to occupy Palestine and commit different sorts of crimes in the country, adding it is a must for Iran to support the resistance against Zionist regime.

Firouzabadi noted Syria is the only country which has shown resistance against Zionists, so Iran supports the country without any meddling.

He pointed out Iran is not against Syria and its nation and has always encouraged Syrian government to meet its people's legal demands and carry out reforms inside the country, but those criminals claiming to be the advocates of human rights kill people inside the region, interfere in Syrian internal affairs, receive weapons from Zionist regime and kill Syrian people by the hands of arrogant mercenaries.

He stressed that Iran calls for keeping security in Syria.

On the other hand, regime claims of western mercenaries infiltrating Syria are supported by evidence from FSA and other militant groups owned facebook pages, like this picture for example.
aorvqtecmaayqli.jpg

Dead Man

Iran was accused since the beginning of the unrest but there is no evidence available to support your claim.

On the other hand, regime claims of western mercenaries infiltrating Syria are supported by evidence from FSA and other militant groups owned facebook pages, like this picture for example.
aorvqtecmaayqli.jpg

I love that your pictures are proof and everyone elses are not.

In other news, Australia has also expelled Syrian diplomats:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-05-29/syrian-diplomats-expelled-from-australia/4040248
An Australian move to expel two Syrian diplomats has been followed by western nations around the world in an effort to pile pressure on president Bashar al-Assad.

Foreign Affairs Minister Bob Carr announced late on Tuesday afternoon that Syrian Charge d'Affairs Jawdat Ali and another diplomat would have 72 hours to leave the country.

Senator Carr said Australia took the action "with other nations around the world" and in the hours that followed, Britain, France, Italy, Canada, Germany, Spain and other countries all made similar announcements.

The coordinated move comes in the wake of a gruesome massacre in the Syrian town of Houla which led to the deaths of more than 100 people at the weekend, including dozens of children.

Senator Carr says he hopes the Syrian regime will get the message that the world has run out of patience.

"This is the most effective way we've got of sending a message of revulsion to the Syrian government," he said.

aorvqtecmaayqli.jpg

Isna published the interview at the weekend but subsequently removed it from its website.

THEY JUST ADMITTED THEY DO.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
I love that your pictures are proof and everyone elses are not.

I always liked this post

If we provided you with 1080p video of Assad shooting civilians while he yelled "I am Assad and I love slaughtering innocent Muslim civilians" you would claim it was a set up or an impostor.

If there was a subsequent video with him at the UN saying the same while he held his birth certificate and DNA samples you'd claim they were forgery.

However, if a dirty napkin crossed the Syrian border with the claim of "1 million Syrian troops dead fighting terrorists in Homs" you would take that claim seriously.

I mean, seriously.

CHEEZMO™;38301187 said:
You are a joke of a person.
There is a big difference between posting your own fellow militants pictures with their instructors on their own official facebook pages and posting pictures of anonymous dead bodies which then proved to be from Iraq and The west bank.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Let's try something
There is a big difference between posting your own fellow militants pictures with their instructors on their own official facebook pages and posting pictures of anonymous dead bodies which then proved to be from Iraq and The west bank.

The facebook page is actually run by Assad himself, in an effort to portray the rebels in a negative light.

I read about it in a youtube comment so I know it's true.

CHEEZMO™;38301552 said:
Let's try something

The facebook page is actually run by Assad himself, in an effort to portray the rebels in a negative light.

I read about it in a youtube comment so I know it's true.
the problem is, the militants facebook pages has daily fresh updates of their own violent activities in the form of PR to Aljazeera, gruesome pictures of their victims (civilians & security personal) and bombing videos. They can easily issue a PR to deny the authenticity of these kind of pages. but, they didn't, IIRC.

noah111

Still Alive
A shit load of explosions and gunfire going on in the distance tonight. :( really unnerving. Fuck.

[edit] wow, almost feels like a constant at this point. I'm really not cut out for ths shit.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
A shit load of explosions and gunfire going on in the distance tonight. :( really unnerving. Fuck.

[edit] wow, almost feels like a constant at this point. I'm really not cut out for ths shit.

You live in Syria? Oh man, i can't imagine the fear and stress of living in such a country.

I suppose getting out of Syria is out of question for you or you would have already done it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom