• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARROW Season 3 |OT| Welcome to the New Age

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frog-fu

Banned
Kill everyone off and reboot then. It's grating. They all spend more time arguing and getting beat up than actually doing anything. At least if Ollie was alone he'd be dead or making his own foolish mistakes without a Batcave full of people flapping their gums for 30 minutes every episode. It's not interesting to watch.

If the original cast are taken out in one go or one by one to set up a reboot ala Homeland season 4, I'd be impressed by the set of gigantic balls that would take. Not that I want that though, not necessarily. I'm willing to consider the first half of season 3 to be Team Arrow growing pains, but at some point, this shit needs to end.

Wiktor

Eh, in my head when Ra's said Oliver gave him the best fight he's had in years, what he actually meant was.

This is still grounded universe though, Batman would never be able to face Ra's. He would in worst case trip over his cape and fall from a building to his death or in best case the poor weak boy would get his little knee so damaged after a mere year he wouldn't be able to walk without cane.

If the original cast are taken out in one go or one by one to set up a reboot ala Homeland season 4, I'd be impressed by the set of gigantic balls that would take. Not that I want that though, not necessarily. I'm willing to consider the first half of season 3 to be Team Arrow growing pains, but at some point, this shit needs to end.

Obviously I don't expect a reboot of any kind, or even anyone getting killed off, but they can't keep going the way they've been going. The artificial drama and inane arguments just serve to make everyone unlikable. And how they managed to make Felicity unlikeable is beyond me. They should win an award for that one. Everyone just be smarter, shut up, and do your jobs.

It's funny how no one has never been successfully sieged but 2 guys with a bow and a gun seem to do just fine. Special Ops would destroy this place in a minute.

Felicity should just move to whatever show Ray will reside in, she's had great chemistry with him and especially barry. She's shit-tier with Oliver though especially this season

Kinda think Thea and Roy should go to. Despite her training Thea has still remained an irritating character. And it's time we kill off Oliver's family for good so that drama doesn't hold him back anymore (and he can be more like the batman CW wants him to be anyways lol)

My dream team of show focus right now would be a tighter team of Oliver, Laurel and Diggle

Bessy67

Felicity should just move to whatever show Ray will reside in, she's had great chemistry with him and especially barry. She's shit-tier with Oliver though especially this season

Kinda think Thea and Roy should go to

My dream team of show focus right now would be a tighter team of Oliver, Laurel and Diggle
Eh, I could take or leave Laurel at this point. I'd rather see just Oliver and Diggle or maybe throw in Thea as Speedy. Totally agree with Felicity leaving the show though, which sucks because I really liked her character before they forced Ollicity in there.

Wiktor

Kinda think Thea and Roy should go to. Despite her training Thea has still remained an irritating character. And it's time we kill off Oliver's family for good so that drama doesn't hold him back anymore (and he can be more like the batman CW wants him to be anyways lol)

Lol..please..both Roy and Thea are ten times more fun characters than Laurel, even after improvements. If you want to exile bunch of people from Arrow then Laurel should definitely be among those who will go. Especially since it would free them from having to force the crappy canon pairing.

Dysun

Diggle is the only partner I'd be legitimately sad to see go. He's the only one that feels authentic when interacting with Oliver.

Roy is there because he's a sidekick in the comics, Laurel is up and down, and Felicity makes no sense anymore

Chariot

Diggle is the best character in the show. Maybe not the coolest, certainly not the strongest, but his input is worth the time, he most of the time stays put and don't try to rush into action and look at the situation first and he is not above killing without going on murder spree.

Literally his only flaw is his lack of disguise while on a job. Because that's dumb. Especially for a man with a family to loose.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Diggle is the best character in the show. Maybe not the coolest, certainly not the strongest, but his input is worth the time, he most of the time stays put and don't try to rush into action and look at the situation first and he is not above killing without going on murder spree.

Literally his only flaw is his lack of disguise while on a job. Because that's dumb. Especially for a man with a family to loose.

If Diggle had Captain Cold's gun, he'd be the most dangerous man alive.

Chariot

If Diggle had Captain Cold's gun, he'd be the most dangerous man alive.
Why, he is lethal enough with regular firearms. I had to chuckle when he and Olli attacked the Stronghold.

The assassins were like "yeah, we got arrows! Arrows with FIRE, motherfucker! Watcha gonna do?" and Diggle just shrugged and shot them with his rifle.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Why, he is lethal enough with regular firearms. I had to chuckle when he and Olli attacked the Stronghold.

The assassins were like "yeah, we got arrows! Arrows with FIRE, motherfucker! Watcha gonna do?" and Diggle just shrugged and shot them with his rifle.

It's more that Diggle would straight up kill Flash with the cold gun, not just wound him.

Like the show has to forget that Diggle, as an ex soldier, would kill ANY metahuman with the right weaponry. Dude is a trained killer.

Frog-fu

Banned
Obviously I don't expect a reboot of any kind, or even anyone getting killed off, but they can't keep going the way they've been going. The artificial drama and inane arguments just serve to make everyone unlikable. And how they managed to make Felicity unlikeable is beyond me. They should win an award for that one. Everyone just be smarter, shut up, and do your jobs.

I agree with this post.

And this post also.

Constantine Drakon should just show up and murder Thea in cold blood. Leave Onomatopoeia to kill Felicity. Or vice-versa, in whichever order.

Whichever characters die, some need to happen, and soon. The show simply feels too crowded.

arrow_zps7cgtjwi3.jpg

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Felicity was awesome when she was comic-relief, this season they tried to make her all serious and shit and the character lost all of her charm.

Wag

Ray Palmer is The Atom in name only. He's essentially Ted Kord (Blue Beetle) but DC wouldn't give them the rights to use him in the show. Blue Beetle is hispanic in the comics and I guess they didn't want to confuse their audience by having him played by a caucasian in the show. Why they couldn't have two Blue Beetles I'm not sure. It's kind of pointless to use The Atom name if you're not going to have him shrink.

They should have used any number of the other armored superheroes in the DCU, like John Henry Irons, or even used someone like Mister Terrific, who's a multimillionaire and smart enough to develop his own armor.

JustinBB7

Ray Palmer is The Atom in name only. He's essentially Ted Kord (Blue Beetle) but DC wouldn't give them the rights to use him in the show. Blue Beetle is hispanic in the comics and I guess they didn't want to confuse their audience by having him played by a caucasian in the show. Why they couldn't have two Blue Beetles I'm not sure. It's kind of pointless to use The Atom name if you're not going to have him shrink.

They should have used any number of the other armored superheroes in the DCU, like John Henry Irons, or even used someone like Mister Terrific, who's a multimillionaire and smart enough to develop his own armor.

It seems like he will
go to Flash and learn how to shrink there most likely

Terrific would have been the best choice, yeah. Superintelligent multimillionaire with a fairly lame existing power set that most people wouldn't have been sad to see go.Not sure why they went with Atom.

On the Blue Beetle thing, though, you're apparently wrong; they were planning to use him, but ultimately got denied the rights. Besides, Ted Kord and Jaime Reyes literally share nothing in common besides the name.

I think you're mixing up Ted Kord with Jaime Reyes, who are both Blue Beetle. Kord is like another Batman: super smart (smarter than Bruce), martial arts mastery, no powers, but he dies and gets replaced by Reyes, who is a Hispanic teenager with a powered Blue Beetle suit.

I think you're mixing up Ted Kord with Jaime Reyes, who are both Blue Beetle. Kord is like another Batman: super smart (smarter than Bruce), martial arts mastery, no powers, but he dies and gets replaced by Reyes, who is a Hispanic teenager with a powered Blue Beetle suit.

There were three Beetles, who all had different levels of access to the scarab.

Dan Garrett: Superhuman strength, flight, energy blasts

Ted Kord: No access to the Scarab. Instead, uses technology of his own invention, primarily a gun that produced strobe lights or powerful compressed air blasts, and an airship.

Jaime Reyes: Complete access to the scarab as an intelligent suit of techno-morphic armor.

Judging by how Ray is portrayed here, it seems like they would have made him Ted with tech that was somewhere between Ted and Jaime's technology, perhaps mimicking Garrett's powers through tech.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Yikes. Guess I shouldn't have waited for Homeland to come out on BluRay to see how everything happened after Saul got abducted... lol

nawwafh

The most ridiculous thing about this last ep was when Laurel was sad that Merlyn would die because the last piece of Sara would die too.. like WTF?
Are they deliberately making us hate her?
One of the most ridiculous dialogues I've heard from a TV show..

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
The show just has to get back to being fun. I know they're going for gritty but this season has been nothing but melodrama. The best episode was the crossover with Flash because it had a fair bit of humour.

I just want to see the team together and kicking ass, not fighting amongst themselves all the time.

Wag

No I'm not. I'd rather have Ted Kord in an armored suit, than just using The Atom in name only. It makes little sense.

But I understand the current Blue Beetle is hispanic and DC doesn't want to seem like they're not PC enough.

Frog-fu

Banned
The most ridiculous thing about this last ep was when Laurel was sad that Merlyn would die because the last piece of Sara would die too.. like WTF?
Are they deliberately making us hate her?
One of the most ridiculous dialogues I've heard from a TV show..

That oddly made sense to me. Once Malcolm is gone, no unresolved connection to Sarah remains, it'll be over and time to find closure. That finality, I imagine, is terrifying,

It's like in those revenge stories where vengeance is achieved and the avenger feels nothing, hollow.

ZeroX03

Banned

They are eventually going to have him shrink. They've already hinted at it in Arrow. It just wouldn't make a whole lot of sense on Arrow and as Ray is appearing on the team up show and visiting Flash it seems far more likely it would happen on one or both of those shows.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Yeah, I think shrinking is going to be an unintended side effect or something that comes later, at least. It just doesn't fit with the character at the moment.

I'm going to save this city... by shrinking down to the size of a bug and retaining my full-sized human strength! Take that thugs who killed my wife!

No I'm not. I'd rather have Ted Kord in an armored suit, than just using The Atom in name only. It makes little sense.

But I understand the current Blue Beetle is hispanic and DC doesn't want to seem like they're not PC enough.
I also would have liked Ted Kord. I don't understand your comments on Jaime though. Like, what "being PC" has to do with anything. I'm confused on that.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Kill everyone off and reboot then. It's grating. They all spend more time arguing and getting beat up than actually doing anything. At least if Ollie was alone he'd be dead or making his own foolish mistakes without a Batcave full of people flapping their gums for 30 minutes every episode. It's not interesting to watch.

Yeah, honestly, that's a big part of the reason why I loved season 1 (despite its drawbacks). Ollie was just doing his own thing and was on a fucking warpath. Felt like he knew what he was doing and was confident in what he was doing. Now he's got 6 groupies constantly yammering about every little decision, and he's got no idea what in the hell he's actually doing. Show just needs a big bang to shake things up. Get out of starling for a season, I don't know, but I can't go through another season of the "arrow-cave" being your typical sitcom cafe.

HabeeNo

we need punisher ollie back, and the removal of thea, lorel, roy, and malcolm from the arrowcave

Have to disagree with you there. The chemistry between the two has increased a lot this season, and I think the writers can take that further somehow.

During S2, they were just the whiny couple that lie to each other and what not, so I could agree there.

This season, we see both actually trained and more mature, and helping each other out not only by actual combat (looking at you Douche DJ), but by good advice (for example, in the last episode.)

Wiktor

Have to disagree with you there. The chemistry between the two has increased a lot this season, and I think the writers can take that further somehow.

During S2, they were just the whiny couple that lie to each other and what not, so I could agree there.

This season, we see both actually trained and more mature, and helping each other out not only by actual combat (looking at you Douche DJ), but by good advice (for example, in the last episode.)
I think Thea has been the best change this season. I was in awe how she handled learning who the Arrow is and now that she knows her scenes with Oliver has been consistently great.

Khezu

Laurel and Felicity go.

Roy and Thea stay as sidekicks, but only sometimes, and they do their own thing and give Ollie space.

Diggle stays the voice of reason.

Ollie goes around murdering fools again, and hooking up with crazy villain ladies.

LoS and Merlyn go far far away and are never heard from again.

More Boomerangs.

Wiktor

Laurel and Felicity go.

Roy and Thea stay as sidekicks, but only sometimes, and they do their own thing and give Ollie space.

Diggle stays the voice of reason.

Ollie goes around murdering fools again, and hooking up with crazy villain ladies.

LoS and Merlyn go far far away and are never heard from again.

More Boomerangs.
No..no. Have Olie accept Ra's offer and become the head of the League.
Then have him use whole assassin organization to fight another big organization in S4. Outsiders if you want to stick to GA mythos or Leviathan (lead by Talia) if you want to continue using Batman stuff.
Then we can have S4 be a huge war spanning continents between two shadowy and very powerful organizations.

The League plot feels a bit directionless right now, compared to Malcolm's Undertaking or Slade's Siege. That said, if Oliver's access leads him to find out about some major League scheme that he can't allow to go through in the next couple of episodes, it could all snap together very well.

DeathyBoy

Banned
They are eventually going to have him shrink. They've already hinted at it in Arrow. It just wouldn't make a whole lot of sense on Arrow and as Ray is appearing on the team up show and visiting Flash it seems far more likely it would happen on one or both of those shows.

Pretty much.

Same way Barry first used superspeed on Flash - why take the characters defining ability and use it first in another show?

Pachimari

I'm so sick of Roy.

I really love the Ra's Al Ghul plot and The Atom. That suit is awesome.

But to be honest, this show have never awed me. I will continue watching it though.

Frog-fu

Banned
If you had authority to make drastic changes to the show, including killing off cast members, how would you use it?

First, I'd kill off Malcolm. He's done. His story has been told, he's lasted long enough, time to say goodbye. I'd bring Tommy back from the grave to replace him. Like I previously posted, I'd like Tommy to be the one to kill Malcolm. One of the first interactions I'd write between him and Ollie is Tommy informer Oliver that the old Tommy died a long time ago, just like the old Ollie, and insisting Oliver call him Merlyn - just like in the comics, and to differentiate from his father, who most people simply refer to by firstname. It'd also be cool if Tommy made a point of calling Oliver the Green Arrow.

I'd probably next kill off Diggle. It'd be tough, I wouldn't like it, but it's necessary Oliver is pushed into evolving. After Diggle's death, Oliver grows a depression beard that eventually becomes his Green Arrow beard, i.e. awesome. Oliver stops letting his ego dictate his actions, grows up and stops taking himself so seriously, perhaps picking up a sense of humour along the way.

Thea learns that the life of a vigilante isn't it for her, she wanted to learn how to defend herself and not get hurt, but she doesn't want to hurt others, so instead she decides to go college and eventually retakes Queen Consolidated to protect the family legacy and honour Moira. Of course, this would require Willa Holland to become a recurring guest character.

Roy stays with Oliver of course. They become a stronger duo than ever.

Laurel disappears for a while. She eventually returns and comes into her own as Black Canary. She and Oliver get together, thus effectively ending this pairing drama bullshit and the two fight crime together on occasion whilst she does her thing as a lawyer. It would perhaps be cool if Constantine Drakon killed Lance and she goes chasing after him for a while, thus taking her out of the show for a bit.

Felicity can stay part of the crew and do her usual thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom