• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrowhead Studios confirm PSN Account Requirement decision was on Sony - Game received over 15,000 negative reviews and is now 'Mixed' on Steam

MayauMiao

The obvious reason is Sony wanting to coast people into PSN accounts and getting to know PlayStation ecosystem a bit. It's just more money. maybe they will like it and get console in the future since sony makes more money selling games on console and on psn. simple as that.
They are the devil because they want to make more money. The requirement was there since release day. Nobody bought the game not knowing that.

As for other stuff? Maybe PSN account helps with cheaters or something. probably not, idk.

I just notice that it features crossplay with PS5. If that is the case, then I guess it totally make sense why PSN is required.

Mr Moose

They're not stopping.
K1QoOSA.png

VjhrMLe.png
It's at 69%
pCO5tKdP22RC8.webp

PSN in 69 countries, this at 69%
qjSxTWJxqH4YDuIrOs.webp

Last edited:

geary

You cannot say you had tech issues and linking was optional and after resolving the tech issues is linking accounts is mandatory…There’s some bs here. You better say, the linking accounts was always mandatory, but the feature wasnt production ready at launch.

near

Gold Member
My friend read the image you posted and then tell people "it did not require it".
There is a difference between stating requirements and required usability. There is a clear and obvious contradiction on that page. Irrespective of whether they made it clear or not, they've enabled use worldwide, and are now denying it region specific. Is that not a major fuck up?

Fabieter

Maybe this is sonys last straw to make their own launcher, people might accept that rather than having psn on steam.

drezz

Should've tried letting it be optional, with a skin reward... Like you get with Twitch... You can have a suit that comes from Twitch drops.

Given them a blu cape and some cool looking PS looking armor...

Then they'd satisfied everyone one way or another(Except shareholders, but compared to what we are seeing now... Not so much).

Three

There is a difference between stating requirements and required usability. There is a clear and obvious contradiction on that page. Irrespective of whether they made it clear or not, they've enabled use worldwide, and are now denying it region specific. Is that not a major fuck up?
it was always required, the fact that you skipped and they let people skip due to the launch issues doesn't take away from the fact that it was always required. It's akin to say Windows 8 where you can skip activation but after 30 days you couldn't use it if you hadn't activated. Would you then whine that activation keys weren't required?

Last edited:

SHA

Correct me if I'm wrong, did I just read you need a Playstation console in order to activate ps account to play their games on steam? Sony's headquarters must be drinking cool aid, it doesn't get any dumber than this, what are they doing?

Three

Correct me if I'm wrong, did I just read you need a Playstation console in order to activate ps account to play their games on steam? Sony's headquarters must be drinking cool aid, it doesn't get any dumber than this, what are they doing?
No, you need a playstation account that you click and create online. Not a console.

Laptop1991

This is why i never bought an Assassin Creed on Steam just Uplay, there is no need for 2 login's or launchers to play 1 game no matter what company does it, i simply wouldn't buy the game. but has the decision just been made now after the game has been out for a while, if so that would be me done with that company.

MayauMiao

it was always required, the fact that you skipped and they let people skip due to the launch issues doesn't take away from the fact that it was always required. It's akin to say Windows 8 where you can skip activation but after 30 days you couldn't use it if you hadn't activated. Would you then whine that activation keys weren't required?

I think comparison to Windows 8 is a bad example. 30 days activation means you didn't buy the license whereas Helldivers 2 you already paid the game.

This will become a long term meme and people will resent linking the account years later for no reason.

Sony should tread carefully.

Look at Suicide Squad. People are unhappy 400 ppl are playing it. Current failure is not enough.

Last edited:

Three

I think comparison to Windows 8 is a bad example. 30 days activation means you didn't buy the license whereas Helldivers 2 you already paid the game.
If you're looking at it from paying perspective rather than a requirement perspective, sure. I'm only using it as an example of a stated requirement.

Paying for and activating it is a requirement of being able to use windows 8. Just because you could skip it for a period of time doesn't mean it wasn't a requirement. Linking to a free PSN account was always a requirement to playing the game, just because you could skip it and play for a period of time doesn't mean it wasn't a requirement.

It was always stated as a requirement on the game page before purchase and it was stated when you booted up the game. Skipping it doesn't mean it was no longer a requirement.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

lol of course it's posted on asmongold reddit....
I know he is popular and a good streamer but there is something super fake about this guy. The deepened mic voice, populist fakery(telling people what they want to hear and motivational crap).
idk.... Seems lie the way to go about being popular streamer recently is to be super coasting with your opinions and speak what every sheep wants to hear. Ride the bandwagons and dramas all day long.

I kinda like the honestly from the studio lol. Don't like it then gtfo. Simple as that. We need more honest and straight to the point companies lol.
This is the type of communication people always wanted from these companies. but not for a topic they don't agree with.

Now - this is officially over. If Asmongold and piratesoftware - 2 biggest influencers/populists are destroying this topic, it's over. The game is done on pc and sony will backtrack. 100% they will backtrack, look weak and the same complaining people will not fix their negative reviews and will not go back to the game.
IMO - go with the punches and stick to your guns. There is no fixing this anymore even if they said "sorry, no more psn"

Fabieter

This will become a long term meme and people will resent linking the account years later for no reason.

Sony should tread carefully.

Look at Suicide Squad. People are unhappy 400 ppl are playing it. Current failure is not enough.

Hopefully ms will stop requiring me to have a windows account to play the single part of the gears games on steam. Yes I can't even do that.

Fabieter

lol of course it's posted on asmongold reddit....
I know he is popular and a good streamer but there is something super fake about this guy. The deepened mic voice, populist fakery(telling people what they want to hear and motivational crap).
idk.... Seems lie the way to go about being popular streamer recently is to be super coasting with your opinions and speak what every sheep wants to hear. Ride the bandwagons and dramas all day long.

I kinda like the honestly from the studio lol. Don't like it then gtfo. Simple as that. We need more honest and straight to the point companies lol.
This is the type of communication people always wanted from these companies. but not for a topic they don't agree with.

Now - this is officially over. If Asmongold and piratesoftware - 2 biggest influencers/populists are destroying this topic, it's over. The game is done on pc and sony will backtrack. 100% they will backtrack, look weak and the same complaining people will not fix their negative reviews and will not go back to the game.
IMO - go with the punches and stick to your guns. There is no fixing this anymore even if they said "sorry, no more psn"

They should learn their lesson and dont do steam versions anymore ;).

Hopefully ms will stop requiring me to have a windows account to play the single part of the gears games on steam. Yes I can't even do that.
Not the point.

A lot of weird things people hate cause it has become a meme. You don’t want that. Especially for something like account of your ecosystem.

dotnotbot

Uh Huh Sure GIF

For 17 years people have had multiple PSN accounts from different countries, myself included, and sometimes even used VPN to make purchases, myself included, but suddenly some chinese random gets a ban.

And you don't even need a VPN if you're logging in from a normal country (so not China).

Last edited:

near

Gold Member
Uh Huh Sure GIF

For 17 years people have had multiple PSN accounts from different countries, myself included, and sometimes even used VPN to make purchases, myself included, but suddenly some chinese random gets a ban.

And you don't even need a VPN if you're logging in from a normal country (so not China).
Not sure what or how they’ve done the account merge but they must’ve tried to use a mainland China account. This isn’t a supported region by Sony.

Edit: or is simply because China isn’t a supported region and a VPN was detected. Creating an account in a different region is common, but that may only work if the region you inhabit is supported.

Last edited:

Fabieter

This game would’ve reached some 1-2 million sold if it weren’t for steam.

How many games go viral on Playstation?? Their audience is not like that.

Never said not releasing on pc and we have loads of gaas games blowing up on their own launcher. They messed with the most radical crowed in the gaming industry and will probably lose millions because of an unwarranted shitstorm. The might learn the right lesson and stay away from steam.

laynelane

Agreed, but I want to add that you can make a PSN account.

I live in a country where PSN isn't available. I made a US PSN account and have been using it for years now.

I find it really odd that having a PSN account is required yet there are several countries where PSN is not supported. Yes, people can make an account through alternate means, but Sony knowingly set this condition for playing HD2 on PC while simultaneously being aware that not all customers can easily create an account - and that is on them, not the customer. It comes across as short-sighted.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I find it really odd that having a PSN account is required yet there are several countries where PSN is not supported. Yes, people can make an account through alternate means, but Sony knowingly set this condition for playing HD2 on PC while simultaneously being aware that not all customers can easily create an account - and that is on them, not the customer. It comes across as short-sighted.

It's absolutely because Sony have only decided you MUST have a PSN account recently, due to the game's popularity. They want to sell you their shit in their walled off eco-system, and impress their shareholders with 'engagement' fifures.

It's based in pure fucking greed, and absolutely nothing else. If the game had remained less popular, this wouldn't be happening.

Top Bottom