• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrowhead Studios confirm PSN Account Requirement decision was on Sony - Game received over 15,000 negative reviews and is now 'Mixed' on Steam

Fabieter

As a publisher, Sony is the one managing the network conditions. Devs just care about making a great game, their responsibility should end there.

The fact that we haven't had a statement from Sony is self-explanatory of how badly managed they are. We don't even know who the people in charge are. In a normal organization, SOMEONE is on top of PC game performances. And that someone should be fired for this.

Sony has not been able to appoint a CEO for their gaming division. This is flat-out ridiculous. Other than Yoshida, I got the feeling that none is doing shit at an executive level.

Sony did set the network conditions which the devs dropped for a few month and it didn't get communicated like it shit. That's was the problem. Bad communication is not a new one for sony sadly.

Ozriel

M$FT
And MS requiring a MS account was their own change which resulted in those who had bought minecraft not being able to access minecraft and stopping them playing. For obvious reasons though you're having a really hard time conceding anything.

This isn’t true, though. A Microsoft account is only required for the Bedrock edition, and this was fully signposted and present from day one. The Java edition does not require a Microsoft account, and is updated to be at full parity with the Bedrock version.
Anyone who bought Minecraft before MS made the change still has access to the game with all the latest updates built in, with no mandatory MS account needed.

It's about the fact that your idea that they shouldn't have done it and waited for the next project is asnine

How is it ‘asinine’ to recommend that they maintain status-quo vs this current PR shitshow we’re seeing?

Three

As a publisher, Sony is the one managing the network conditions. Devs just care about making a great game, their responsibility should end there.
Nope its the complete opposite. The developer Arrowhead worked on the backend and uses MS Playfab. Sony doesn't manage the network conditions at all, that's especially true when people aren't even using PSN accounts. They have nothing to do with it.
The fact that we haven't had a statement from Sony is self-explanatory of how badly managed they are. We don't even know who the people in charge are. In a normal organization, SOMEONE is on top of PC game performances. And that someone should be fired for this.

Sony has not been able to appoint a CEO for their gaming division. This is flat-out ridiculous. Other than Yoshida, I got the feeling that none is doing shit at an executive level.
Agree the handling of this has been shit but again these controversies curiously seem to always happen on a Friday and we hear nothing.

Ozriel

M$FT
Warframe?

And on another note but the same logic the vanguard drm/anti cheat on league of legends is logging me out of 10 years of playtime :p. And addicts don't care about my feelings :`(. Hypocrits.

Too bad league of legends isn't on steam and I can't get all the money of those skins back with my 3000 hours playtime on league because riot surely won't do anything about that.

I presume you left strong feedback or a negative review. When you did that, did you get a lot of fans attacking you for complaining?

In light of that guy's recent tweets, it seems they're both responsible to an extent.

1. It was the developers decision to not do the forced PSN linking at the games launch.

However, I can't imagine that decision would be approved without the publisher going over it.

Absolutely no way they’ve have taken that decision unilaterally without Sony greenlighting it.

Last edited:

Fabieter

I presume you left strong feedback or a negative review. When you did that, did you get a lot of fans attacking you for complaining?

Absolutely no way they’ve have taken that decision unilaterally without Sony greenlighting it.

There is no big shitstorm I could go with sadly because league players just accepted the new shitty reality. I won't play it anymore. Where do I change it and make riot bleed for it?

Last edited:

Three

This isn’t true, though. A Microsoft account is only required for the Bedrock edition, and this was fully signposted and present from day one. The Java edition does not require a Microsoft account, and is updated to be at full parity with the Bedrock version.
Anyone who bought Minecraft before MS made the change still has access to the game with all the latest updates built in, with no mandatory MS account needed.
You're incorrect but that's OK:

I just hope you concede that you're wrong and move on instead of dragging me into another "yeah, but thats different, that's not thier fault" argument trying to not admit it, like the other MS shills out here.

How is it ‘asinine’ to recommend that they maintain status-quo vs this current PR shitshow we’re seeing?
Nobody predicted the shitshow. It was just an account signup like the Microsoft one above. Even a stated requirement when bought unlike the above. Requesting that a live service game drop plans for possibly 6 years or more 'until the next project' because of a technical issue the dev had is what's asnine. Would you say the same for dropping it from Minecraft because it was even more retroactive? Probably not.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
You're incorrect but that's OK:

I just hope you concede that you're wrong and move on instead of dragging me into another "yeah, but thats different, that's not thier fault" argument trying to not admit it, like the other MS shills out here.

Looks like you’re right and Microsoft made it mandatory back in 2021.
But here’s what you’re also missing:

Not only did MS give ample heads up about the change from a Mojang account to a Microsoft account, they also provided incentive by detailing benefits for the move

• Increased security for your account with two-factor authentication. In other words, it’s harder for someone to access your account without your permission.
  • All your PC Minecraft games will be connected to the same account. Currently, that’s Minecraft and Minecraft Dungeons, but who knows what we'll do next?
  • Improved parental controls to help keep kids safe when playing online.
  • Chat and invitation blocking.

They even threw in free cosmetics to sweeten the deal

this is in contrast to the Helldivers 2 situation that you’re desperately shilling…many players can see that there’s no real benefit being offered for the mandatory connection to PSN.

Personally, i have no issue linking my PSN to Helldivers 2. But there are many who clearly feel otherwise

Nobody predicted the shitshow. It was just an account signup like the Microsoft one above. Even a stated requirement when bought unlike the above.

Very likely that the vast majority of buyers didn’t see that warning. I bought Helldivers 2 on Steam a couple of weeks ago, and I just clicked on purchase since I knew a lot about the title. For those who were driven to a Steam purchase over strong word of mouth, most would just be hunting for the purchase button.

As far as most folks are concerned, they know full well the game has been working just fine with full cross play without another account. So pushing the “we said it was required” angle doesn’t hold water.

Requesting that a live service game drop plans for possibly 6 years or more 'until the next project' because of a technical issue the dev had is what's asnine. Would you say the same for dropping it from Minecraft because it was even more retroactive? Probably not.

why would the live service game ‘drop plans’ over a PSN account? The only plan that could possibly be hindered is Sony’s plan to Hoover up more users.
I suggest you speak like a consumer, not cosplaying as a senior executive at Sony.

Last edited:

Three

Looks like you’re right and Microsoft made it mandatory back in 2021.
But here’s what you’re also missing:

Not only did MS give ample heads up about the change from a Mojang account to a Microsoft account, they also provided incentive by detailing benefits for the move

They even threw in free cosmetics to sweeten the deal

this is in contrast to the Helldivers 2 situation that you’re desperately shilling…many players can see that there’s no real benefit being offered for the mandatory connection to PSN.

Personally, i have no issue linking my PSN to Helldivers 2. But there are many who clearly feel otherwise

Very likely that the vast majority of buyers didn’t see that warning. I bought Helldivers 2 on Steam a couple of weeks ago, and I just clicked on purchase since I knew a lot about the title. For those who were driven to a Steam purchase over strong word of mouth, most would just be hunting for the purchase button.

As far as most folks are concerned, they know full well the game has been working just fine with full cross play without another account. So pushing the “we said it was required” angle doesn’t hold water.

why would the live service game ‘drop plans’ over a PSN account? The only plan that could possibly be hindered is Sony’s plan to Hoover up more users.
I suggest you speak like a consumer, not cosplaying as a senior executive at Sony.
I'm not interested mate, I knew there would be a "that's different, here's why". Years after you've bought the game = "ample time". Stated even before release = "I'm blind and can't read".

Last edited:
I mean I won't play some games because of it, but the whining? Yeah, that's just something PC gamers love to do.

Sony is betting the game is big enough to weather the storm here. They want these users on PSN because they know they're prepping the PC Storefront and the more people who are already registered to use it, the better.

Sony is locking dozens of regions out of a game that they paid for. Personally i could care less about signing into PSN but it sucks for all of the people who are getting screwed.

Last edited:

Zathalus

I don't personally have a problem with the account linking, but I can see why some would be. They are fully in the right to abandon the game or leave negative reviews if they so please.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Seems like the Arrowhead CEO wasn't aware of PSN needing ID or facial scans in some parts of the world either, and he's not a fan of that.

SvL3j2X.jpeg

drotahorror

This guy is only making things worse he needs some PR training

Not sticking up for the guy, cuz this whole ordeal is fucked and AH deserves it, but he was talking about the review bombing of Helldivers 1 in retaliation of what's going on. Magicka and Gauntlet are 2 of their other games. Of course, yeah people can review bomb those too, AH is the company that made them and people are pissed at AH.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
Not sticking up for the guy, cuz this whole ordeal is fucked and AH deserves it, but he was talking about the review bombing of Helldivers 1 in retaliation of what's going on. Magicka and Gauntlet are 2 of their other games. Of course, yeah people can review bomb those too, AH is the company that made them and people are pissed at AH.
Now he put light on it and it's going to be review bombed even more
He needs to stop posting for a week

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
The bigger question if it affects the general attitude towards PSN requirements in Sony's games. In theory it should not as the news move fast, but who knows...
Honestly Sony royally fucked this up. People are going to be on hyper alert now for PSN requirements or any changes to how the accounts operate. I linked my account for a Miles Morales skin I never even used, probably plenty of people did and would have prior to this, but any move by them now is gonna be under scrutiny.
They should have just tied the PSN account in helldivers to a cool skin or ability.

Yonyx

Banned
I requested a refund to Steam: they told me I had to request the refund to Sony, that they couldn't do anything. I requested the refund to Sony: they tell me I have to request the refund to Steam or Arrowhead, that they can't do anything. Okay, then I request the refund to Arrowhead: they tell me that to make a simple complaint ticket I have to create an Arrowhead account xDDD And I've already explained my problem to their support address before: contact@arrowheadgs.com, support@arrowhead.zendesk.com.

I'll recommend the product (because the game is good) if they reverse this stupid decision of forcing you to create another external account that you're not interested in (in many countries where there's no PSN is even worse). Linking your account with PSN should be at most something optional, never mandatory.

Edit: I played 4 hours.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I requested a refund to Steam: they told me I had to request the refund to Sony, that they couldn't do anything. I requested the refund to Sony: they tell me I have to request the refund to Steam or Arrowhead, that they can't do anything. Okay, then I request the refund to Arrowhead: they tell me that to make a simple complaint ticket I have to create an Arrowhead account xDDD And I've already explained my problem to their support address before: contact@arrowheadgs.com, support@arrowhead.zendesk.com.

I'll recommend the product (because the game is good) if they reverse this stupid decision of forcing you to create another external account that you're not interested in (in many countries where there's no PSN is even worse). Linking your account with PSN should be at most something optional, never mandatory.

huh? Steam asked you to contact Sony for a refund on the Steam version of the game?

That sounds .. odd ..

graywolf323

so you have to make a new account aside from Steam in order to request a refund?

Thierry Henry Smile GIF by hamlet

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife

Keep trying on Steam, tell them it's because the game is requesting some personal data it wasn't requesting before.

Should work, it worked for others here. And if not, keep trying, you might have just been unlucky with whoever reviewed your request.

Yonyx

Banned
Keep trying on Steam, tell them it's because the game is requesting some personal data it wasn't requesting before.

Should work, it worked for others here. And if not, keep trying, you might have just been unlucky with whoever reviewed your request.
The problem in Steam is that having played for 4 hours and purchased the game in February, it doesn't give me the option to write anything on the game support page. It simply there is an automatic text that they don't handle refunds after 2 weeks and I have to contact Sony.

Is there any contact email for Steam where I can explain why I'm requesting a refund and that it's an exceptional case? I've never requested a refund before. Thank you very much for the response, by the way!

Edit: It could also be that I won't get the refund option on Steam because I bought the code from another store outside of Steam (that store washes their hands with this, saying that too much time has passed). That must be why it does not show that option in my Steam.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Seems like the Arrowhead CEO wasn't aware of PSN needing ID or facial scans in some parts of the world either, and he's not a fan of that.

SvL3j2X.jpeg
That’s probably a law in those countries. Anyway what’s it up to him how Sony does its business. They made A game for Sony and they are way too loudmouth of an employee.
They stopped being indie the moment they took Sony money. But they still behave like indie amateurs

Last edited:
I mean, I agree it could have been handled far better, but this feels a bit...much. I recall linking my Minecraft a long time ago. I didn't really pay much heed to it and nothing changed in all the years since.

Let's just see if Sony backpedals to appease the people going "scorched earth". But man, I don't know if this is a case of "cancel culture" going berserk, because if it is, it's just bananas to me people are always willing to destroy anything or even continue to destroy well before or even after any chance of goodwill or change of heart is made.

stickkidsam

That’s probably a law in those countries. Anyway what’s it up to him how Sony does its business. They made A game for Sony and they are way too loudmouth of an employee.
They stopped being indie the moment they took Sony money. But they still behave like indie amateurs
I don’t know dude I prefer the “amateurs” to the PR professionals.

It’s fuckin’ tiring seeing studios not allowed to act like human beings. Whether it’s wise or not, I’m glad the guy can speak his thoughts.

feynoob

Wish me luck hell divers. I am gonna dive soon and save democracy. Need to fight the automation and bug infestation planets.

Last edited:

GHG

The problem in Steam is that having played for 4 hours and purchased the game in February, it doesn't give me the option to write anything on the game support page. It simply there is an automatic text that they don't handle refunds after 2 weeks and I have to contact Sony.

Is there any contact email for Steam where I can explain why I'm requesting a refund and that it's an exceptional case? I've never requested a refund before. Thank you very much for the response, by the way!

Edit: It could also be that I won't get the refund option on Steam because I bought the code from another store outside of Steam (that store washes their hands with this, saying that too much time has passed). That must be why it does not show that option in my Steam.

You purchased the code from a 3rd party site and redeemed it on Steam. You aren't getting a refund. This is standard stuff regardless of the circumstances.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

If you bought the key from outside Steam, you have to ask the store or the publisher for the refund. Valve doesn’t earn anything from you if you buy the keys sold outside Steam, so its not on them to refund you.

Top Bottom