• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ars: Early tests show bizarre issues with Nintendo Switch voice chat app

thisisnintendoqluw4.gif

Someone with skills combine these two

Reki

This is horrible. I hope the backlash makes them backtrack.

And no, I can't even send feedback. My phone isn't supported.

Another thing mentioned in the GameXplain video is inviting friends via social media.

Twitter for example, it just tweets a post and every single person who is following you can then join your game as long as there is room. You can't invite specific friends via that method. I assume Facebook is the same.

I'm a huge Nintendo fan and I really love them but this is truly inexcusable. Nintendo, for your own good, walk back on this crap.

Seconded. I downloaded the app just to leave feedback, but now I'm wondering if that did more harm than good since it will show that I downloaded it...

Schnozberry

LOL. I knew this was going to be clunky, but they couldn't even get the app half right. Hopefully this puts Nintendo in full on panic mode.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
It needs to be said over and over again. Complaining on a forum isn't going to do anything. Pissed off by this, upset by this, etc then actually provide actual feedback. This is one of the rare times where there is a direct way to do so to Nintendo. Use it. Remind people of this over and over again because there a lot of people that love to just complain and won't actually take the next extra step to get those complaints to the people that need to hear/read them. You see it in politics all the time to give an example. People that will bitch and moan about something but can't be bothered to pick up the phone and call their representative in the state government or congress and leave a message. Some won't even bother with the websites that will send a letter automatically where the only thing you need to do is fill in your name and added an email address. People that will not bother to put in the time to education people to vote one way or another in regard to something they dislike. Not even a family member. Reminding people that there is a way to directly give feedback is the very least one can do here to get Nintendo to understand what the damn problems are.

I mean conceptually you're correct, but do you seriously think Nintendo doesn't know this? Do you really, honestly believe nobody in the entire development or testing process brought up the idea that the app shouldn't shut down the instant someone did literally anything else with their phone? Of course not. They know. They chose not to. There's no possible way anyone who has ever used a phone app before, ever, wouldn't know how people would react to this. This is how they want it to work, and people will have to live with it.

Oresama

Sure, but he already posted about this once in this thread. When you start posting about the same thing multiple times in a thread it gets excessive.

Lol isn't this entire thread basically everyone posting the same thing about their displeasure with the phone app lol.

At least Toni is trying to direct that energy towards something that may make a difference.

Toni the real MVP

Pastry

Banned
I refuse to believe that whoever was designing this app/solution didn't realize how bad of an idea it was. It feels like one of those situations at work where everyone knows the project you're working in is a huge waste of time but no one cares enough to sit down the boss and explain the issue. I'm still getting my paycheck, YOLO

To be fair you only need the squid thing if you want to hear both sources at the same time. But that should be a given when playing games, you kinda need to hear both. And you shouldn't have to buy an accessory to do so.

What is so hard about putting a simple system wide voice chat on the Switch? That one simple move makes everything way better and having Bluetooth headsets be useable.

kiguel182

My switch is on the way and even if I don't have any friends with one this is a ridiculous solution. It's so simple to do on a PS4 and the fact Nintendo doesn't have a similar set up is ridiculous

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
I refuse to believe that whoever was designing this app/solution didn't realize how bad of an idea it was. It feels like one of those situations at work where everyone knows the project you're working in is a huge waste of time but no one cares enough to sit down the boss and explain the issue. I'm still getting my paycheck, YOLO
Yep

What is so hard about putting a simple system wide voice chat on the Switch? That one simple move makes everything way better and having Bluetooth headsets be useable.

It allows them to use your phone's resources instead of their own, and it allows them to push out online update faster, because apparently Nintendo's certification process is too slow for Nintendo.

MisterR

This is an excellent question. I'm a pretty die hard Nintendo fan here and even I know this is absolute crap. I left a 1 star review. It's crazy to me that there are 10x more 5 star reviews than 1 star reviews.

I've read most of the comments, most of the people haven't even used it, know nothing about it and just post Nintendo rules.

the idea itself is just terrible, and I expected the execution to be bad too but my god they managed to surprise me with just how terrible it is

How the fuck does this app have a 4.4/5 average on Google Play? How much kool aid can one person drink to give this thing 5 stars?

So much for portability. What a mess! How are you even supposed to hold that controller and use the gyro without blocking your view of the screen?

The phone clip-on thing isn't really necessary, especially when the app doesn't even run in landscape mode. There's no reason to have the phone in visible to you while playing.

I hope every outlet hammers the shit out of Nintendo on this. Mention it in every review in as negative a light possible, every Q&A with Nintendo it needs to come up as a problem, every single mention of this needs to be that it's garbage. I don't know nor care what asinine reasoning Nintendo has for why they thought this was acceptable, they need to be made to understand that it is not.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
"Instead of having some sort of bulky gamer headset, you’ll be able to do it right off your smartphone, put in your earbuds that you use for your standard mobile device. We think that’s a pretty sweet solution. " - Reggie Fils-Aime

Well I mean, to be fair, that's exactly what I'm doing.

I have an iPhone with its included headphones & mic. I'm gonna plug that into my phone for voice chat. The software is free and the headphones were included with my phone so I don't need to buy any additional hardware.

Top Bottom