• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ArsTechnica: Hackers unlock NES Classic, upload new games via USB cable

This is all you need, including the latest files and exes:

http://clusterrr.com/soft/hakchi2.zip

(Currently 2.0.5)

Doesn't require any sort of Mario Bros save file.

However, due to the false positive virus notifications in the previous package, you will need to download Zadig Util for the driver.

Thank you so much really appreciate it..I will be doing this on my laptop..do I turn OFF windows defender before I unzip the file? Not sure what Zadig Util is is that something that gets installed when I click on the exe file?
Now how exactly do I do this..open up the exe file, then connect the NES classic to it..it will tell me to press reset and power, then after 3 seconds I let go of reset and continue holding the power button til I hear the windows chime? is that right? Now as far as the 1-2 player thing, do I just leave that alone? the games that I have so far are Bases Loaded, Bases Loaded 4, Batman, Battletoads, Bionic Commando, Blaster Master, Castlevania Dracula's Curse, Chip N Dale Rescue Rangers, Contra, Dragon Warrior, Duck Tales, Hudson's Adventure Island, Little Nemo, Mega Man 3 & 5, RBI Baseball, River City Ransom, Tetris, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and Shadowgate..not sure if any of those require any kind of change to the player info
Thanks really appreciate it

Thanks for the great comment, really handy for us who have a Nintendo classic and are excited about adding additional games to it.

No dude, you should spend money making the Nvidia Shield work just to stream roms to your set. Don't have a pc? Buy one. Have an AMD gpu or even a Nvidia gpu that doesn't meet the required specs? Upgrade. Maybe your home network isn't sufficient? You should probably purchase all new equipment. What are you doing without a proper PC setup anyway? You guys need to stop living under a rock and realize that consoles are obsolete.

Nvidia shield and i have all emulators/games.. No idea why this is a thing

Does the Shield come with the emulator and games set up out of the box and ready to play?

Does the Shield look like a NES?

Does the Shield come with a NES controller?

Does the emulator on your Shield have an interface that looks nice and easy to use like the NES Classic?

Does your Shield cost $60?

Something tells me the answer is no.... so there's your answer why this is a thing.

Plus, anyone who doesn't get it and is questioning why they aren't using some other device should probably defend their position on why they're too poor to shell out money for an AVS NES or Analogue NT and a Flash Cart which is superior to their setup.

No dude, you should spend money making the Nvidia Shield work just to stream roms to your set. Don't have a pc? Buy one. Have an AMD gpu or even a Nvidia gpu that doesn't meet the required specs? Upgrade. Maybe your home network isn't sufficient? You should probably purchase all new equipment. What are you doing without a proper PC setup anyway? You guys need to stop living under a rock and realize that consoles are obsolete.

In his defense, you can install emulators and roms right on the Shield. All the other rambling is even more irrelevant than what he said.

oo7

Nvidia shield and i have all emulators/games.. No idea why this is a thing

Jesus_Christ_Billacheck-1.gif

Git!

shanafan

Cross posting this and consider it a final warning.

1) We get it, the Raspberry Pi is a cool solution. It's not the same thing and there are reasons to want the NES Classic.
2) Accusing everyone of piracy when you don't know their situation is irritating noise and is something that is explicitly against the rules in any sort of discussion about console hacking for this reason.

Stop spamming this thread and the other one with the same stuff over and over again. We heard you the first hundred times.

Adding this mod post again. This isn't a thread designated as a comparison of the best alternatives.

0racle

Goddamn this thread.

For the first time in my life I surcomed to. Reseller.

I paid 140 CANADIAN for;

NES Classic
Interworks controller
9ft HDMI cable

Doing the math, it cost me about 20 more than MSRP but at least the hunt is over.

F34R

Goddamn this thread.

I paid 140 CANADIAN for;

NES Classic
Interworks controller
9ft HDMI cable

Doing the math, it cost me about 20 more than MSRP but at least the hunt is over.
I was seriously considering it if I could get it for as "low" as double MSRP. I just happened to find it retail today when I wasn't even looking for it lol.

nikos

I'm going to start reading now, but do user-loaded games look as good as the ones that come on the console? Are they running off of Nintendo's emulator?

Really tempted to do this.

EDIT: Since games are showing up on the original menu, and even support save states, I'm going to assume they run exactly like the preloaded games do.

fooish101

Hacked my NES mini tonight, ended up installing hakchi on a computer I don't use for anything important if there is anything malicious in the app.

App install was smooth, easy to add roms to the mini, hardest part was manually installing USB drivers to the mini, but once I found the instructions it was dead simple. Install and loading of the roms took around an hour, most of this time was putting in meta data for the roms.

Got a chance to play some 2 player games with the wife, one thing I noticed for the new games is the graphical artifacts in some games like TMNT 3 when a lot of action is taking place is quite bad. I'd say at least the two player version of TMNT 3 is near unplayable.

We tried out chip & dale and it seemed to run fine. Then did a large stint of NES world cup, which had the same graphical issues as TMNT 3,but much less severe.

I'll have to try out the roms that are performing badly on my PC just to make sure it isn't a bad copy.

Overall it's great to flesh out the library of games to add a few classics from my childhood. Look forward to playing with it more!

Someone I know tried that, but the drivers didn't pass through in the VM to override what was being used by the Mac.

Oh, that's a bummer :/

Also I wonder if someone will eventually patch the classic software to rid some of the glitches present in other titles? If it's possible that is.

So last night I compared the NES Mini to my RGB modded NES/Framemeister/Everdrive set up.

The colour on the mini is a little off, the upscaling isn't quite as good and it's annoying that you can't add scanlines (which really improve IQ IMO) without adding the rest of the 'CRT mode' junk but overall the NES Mini does a great job, considering it's £50 vs something like £400.

I guess the compatibility and storage issues are frustrating but it's definitely a great option for someone looking to get into HD retro.

Yeah there is also the pie but as many have said, retro gaming is as much about the experience as it is the actual games. Somehow the mini feels like a real NES , which makes all the difference.

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
Walked into a local target and just picked one up, thanks for the heads up!

Was finally able to get that tool to work with the 2.06 version. Not sure why, but I did every thing the same way and it worked fine this time.

Goddamn this thread.

I paid 140 CANADIAN for;

NES Classic
Interworks controller
9ft HDMI cable

SAME! We're part of the problem, but this is too fun to pass up.

Had a scare with some sound issues. Factory reseted my console losing my Ghosts n Goblins saves. So I just flashed original kernel which fixed the sound issues.

If I'm not mistaken, I tested the USB counterpart of this brand for a customer and it would keep registering left and right as up-left and up-right with only a sliver of a tilt. It was pretty awful. Made games unplayable. Might've been a bad batch, but he had two of them and they did the exact same thing. Also the buttons are convex, not concave, and the whole thing feels super cheap.

Well that was easy and painless! Had to install the drivers with the zadig tool before my PC picked up the mini, just added 56 games giving me 86 all together! Now.. if only I could get a 2nd controller :(

Just did the hack SO incredibly easy thank you all for the instructions it helped a lot..I already added 16 games need advice as to what else to add..I think I am going to change the mike tysons punchout artwork I dont care for it much..question that I have is since I want to add more games what do I have to do? I have Hakchi on my laptop since I knew I would be adding additional stuff

Just did the hack SO incredibly easy thank you all for the instructions it helped a lot..I already added 16 games need advice as to what else to add..I think I am going to change the mike tysons punchout artwork I dont care for it much..question that I have is since I want to add more games what do I have to do? I have Hakchi on my laptop since I knew I would be adding additional stuff

After i exhausted the titles i could remember I just looked at a bunch of "best of" lists and checked them out on youtube to see if they were to my tastes.

I just re-added everything when I updated... I did have to re-find the art work for most of the titles. But didnt get duplicates so I guess thats the way to go. The ones that I had unticked disappeared. So it would seem you need to tell it everytime what you want and don't want. It was so easy with hakchi im not worried about doing it a few times getting rid of stuff that i don't like or doesn't work. I'm going to have to edit this title to fit for instance

QpmI84H.png

Hope that helps!

JP

Worked fine for me using Parallels.
That's good to know, I was considering installing a bootcamp partition to do this but this is by far my preferred choice.

For anybody else with a Mac who wants to do this, I believe that Parallels offer a free trial so you may be lucky enough to not have to pay anything. I'm not sure if they still do that though.

After i exhausted the titles i could remember I just looked at a bunch of "best of" lists and checked them out on youtube to see if they were to my tastes.

I just re-added everything when I updated... I did have to re-find the art work for most of the titles. But didnt get duplicates so I guess thats the way to go. The ones that I had unticked disappeared. So it would seem you need to tell it everytime what you want and don't want. It was so easy with hakchi im not worried about doing it a few times getting rid of stuff that i don't like or doesn't work. I'm going to have to edit this title to fit for instance

QpmI84H.png

Hope that helps!

Thanks so much for the info..so basically when I want to add in more games I have to hook up the NES to the PC, open up Hakchi, and since I already did the initial setup for the kernel and everything I just have to click "Add Games" and then it will go ahead and add the games for me?

Lothar

Banned

Let's see. These are the must plays in my opinion from most important to least.

(In 10 game blocks)

Super Mario Bros 1-3
Zelda 1-2
Mega Man 2-4
Contra
Super C

Castlevania 1-3
Kirby’s Adventure
Battletoads
Metroid
Mike Tyson’s Punch Out
Ninja Gaiden 1-2
Bubble Bobble

Double Dragon 1-2
Blaster Master
Dragon Warrior 4
Kid Icarus
Tetris
Dr Mario
River City Ransom
Shadowgate
Deja Vu

Life Force
Maniac Mansion
Bionic Commando
Startropics 1-2
Duck Tales
Chip N Dale Rescue Rangers
Mega Man 1, 5-6

Battletoads and Double Dragon
Little Nemo and the Dream Master
Crystalis
TMNT 1-3
Dragon Warrior 1-3
Final Fantasy

I've heard Batman, Strider, Battle of the Olympus, Metal Storm, Vice, and Shatterhand are great but haven't played them.

GTI Guy

Let's see. These are the must plays in my opinion from most important to least.

(In 10 game blocks)

Super Mario Bros 1-3
Zelda 1-2
Mega Man 2-4
Contra
Super C

Castlevania 1-3
Kirby’s Adventure
Battletoads
Metroid
Mike Tyson’s Punch Out
Ninja Gaiden 1-2
Bubble Bobble

Double Dragon 1-2
Blaster Master
Dragon Warrior 4
Kid Icarus
Tetris
Dr Mario
River City Ransom
Shadowgate
Deja Vu

Life Force
Maniac Mansion
Bionic Commando
Startropics 1-2
Duck Tales
Chip N Dale Rescue Rangers
Mega Man 1, 5-6

Battletoads and Double Dragon
Little Nemo and the Dream Master
Crystalis
TMNT 1-3
Dragon Warrior 1-3
Final Fantasy

I've heard Batman, Strider, Battle of the Olympus, Metal Storm, Vice, and Shatterhand are great but haven't played them.

You forgot one

Festers-Quest-boxart.jpg

Fester's Quest is a childhood favorite of mine. I was in the Sunsoft Fan Club. I imagine it's frustratingly hard by today's standards though.

Robin64

The biggest problem with Fester's Quest is getting a certain gun type in a situation where you can't hit a damn thing to get past it.

Does anybody have experience with hacking the Famicom Mini? What are the differences?

There weren't any besides the lack of led lights on the system. Just make sure to wait long enough to turn it off after everything is finished as you don't have the light to indicate anything.

I'll be doing this on my Famicom Mini this weekend, what's the deal with the 60 game limit - there seems to be conflicting information as to whether that is the limit or not?

Top Bottom