• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ArsTechnica: Hackers unlock NES Classic, upload new games via USB cable

BFIB

So does the app still cause windows defender to go nuts? If so, what do I need to do to fix that before using the app to add games?

I just ended up shutting Windows Defender off, downloaded it, turned it back on and added the exception file under settings.

I've gotten Mario Bros 2 FDS version to work but I cannot get the Famicom version of Castlevania 3 or Mr. Gimmick EU version to work. Maybe in time more import roms will start working.

I've gotten Mario Bros 2 FDS version to work but I cannot get the Famicom version of Castlevania 3 or Mr. Gimmick EU version to work. Maybe in time more import roms will start working.

See post #319, unfortunately Mr Gimmick uses a custom mapper that is not supported...

radcliff

So I found the right Battletoads rom, patched it, and uploaded to NES Classic. It still crashed at level 2. Anyone have any luck with this?

dock

I added a bunch of games yesterday, and I was grateful to be warned about JP Castlevania 3 not working.
It's such a well made tool! It really has a lot of care put into it.

I was lazy and didn't fill in the years. How difficult is it to change the contents of my NES Classic after I've changed it once?

Which FDS games are worth grabbing that work okay? Do all FDS games have additional music over the cart version?

My GF and I spent a while playing the Nintendo and Tengen tetris. Other than Dr. Mario, are there any other good games in this type of puzzle game?

OmegaFax

Which FDS games are worth grabbing that work okay? Do all FDS games have additional music over the cart version?

Vs. Excitebike - Different soundtrack that uses the FDS sound table. Game is different in general. Same Excitebike gameplay. Interesting tweaks (like your racer blinks to indicate the turbo is running out).

All Nippon Night Super Mario Bros. - It's technically an official ROM hack from Nintendo. It's the original Super Mario Bros. with modified sprites and scenery and uses some graphics from the Japanese only FDS Super Mario Bros. 2.. It's neat and I guess a novelty if you're interested in a different version of the original SMB.

Bubble Bobble (FDS) didn't work for me. Just crashed on boot. Not sure what the problem was. C6 error, I believe.

Not an FDS title but I recommend NES Kid Icarus. Delete the one that comes with the system and replace it with a dumped version. Passwords work.

The FDS version should work but it has a save system instead of passwords. Passwords are good for cheats and skipping around.

VARIA

So you can remove the epilepsy protection by deleting "--enable-armet" from the command line arguments (will be at the end). I have tested it and it works on Megaman (boss introduction prior to level start) and Battletoads (1st boss). It removes the weird flashing effect the epilepsy protection caused.

Just tried this and Ninja Gaiden 2 is saved! Thanks man.

D.Lo

Got it set up with my 'ultimate' NES Set, and am spending far too much time getting the box art perfect. In particular matching shades of Grey/Silver for the Konami games.

Also I replaced Mega Man 1-3 box art with the PAL versions to avoid the US horrors.

After trying some FDS games like Ai Senshi Nicol and Arumana no Kiseki, I've realised the FDS sound emulation is kind of bad. The expansion audio is too loud and dominates the mix. It's like they took the levels from an AV Famicom (which is already much too loud on expansion audio) and amped it even further. So I'm sticking to standard audio games on this thing.

So I did the hack a few days ago, and it was so simple. That tool is amazing. Going to still have to search for some stuff tho. Papernoy was all glitched out, but part 2 worked. Gradius 2 didn't work at all. That was about it though. Never played Double Dragon 3, but that game was.... hard. And so is tmnt 2... man. The controls are terrible on both Pac Man and Ms. Pac Man.

Thanks to the inventor of the Hackchi

Chucker

Cluster found the line to put in for his next build so that if you push down and select on ANY controller it acts as a home button.

This dude is doing work.

baconcow

Cluster found the line to put in for his next build so that if you push down and select on ANY controller it acts as a home button.

This dude is doing work.

Definitely impressive work. I was about to use 2.08 and now I am definitely waiting for 2.09.

Raitaro

Sorry, I haven't followed all the developments around this too closely but I do have a couple questions before I might try my hand at this myself at some point:

- Will the attract mode still work where Mario selects each game to run for a while while showing the various graphics options, and will the newly added games simply be included in his rotation? (I really love this feature, weird as that may be, so it no longer working would be a dealbreaker for me.)

- Is there an easy way to completely return the device to its factory setting and remove all traces of the hack (such as that installed driver that the tool's instructions seem to mention) and does this always need to go through the tool used for the hack itself (meaning there could still be traces of the tool / driver left)?

- What are the realistic chances of bricking the device and not being able to use it at all properly anymore, especially for a tech / emulator noob like myself?

While it is indeed cool to be able to increase the library of games while still having everything work in the original UI, I do have a slght worry that Nintendo might see this as a reason to not make more of these kind of things (like a Snes Classic) in the future because they can't control these things, or that if they do end up making more, that these will have some kind of anti-hacking measures in place like forcing updates over an internet connection or something. Both would be kind of a shame, the former scenario especially.

Maybe Nintendo should have implemented a legal way to increase the library size afterall though if there is such a strong demand for it, to help make these kind of hacking practices less attracttive to the larger public. Maybe they will go with that option for a possible Snes Classic now that I think about it.

Just did this on my Famicom Mini, took about 20 minutes tops. Very easy and not scary to do at all.

Got about 70 games on there, a few I wanted to add didn't work because of the mapper situation, will more mappers be added in future to allow these games that currently don't work.

Raitaro

Is there any information on how to remove/replace games added? Is it as simple as unchecking/deleting them in hakchi and syncing?

That's what the explanation videos seem to indicate, yes. Just hook it up again, check/uncheck the games you want/don't want (from your prepared rom list) and transfer the data again using the regular instructions to update the Nes. I haven't tried it myself, as mentioned above, but again that is what the various youtube videos demonstrated.

Chucker

Sorry, I haven't followed all the developments around this too closely but I do have a couple questions before I might try my hand at this myself at some point:

- Will the attract mode still work where Mario selects each game to run for a while while showing the various graphics options, and will the newly added games simply be included in his rotation? (I really love this feature, weird as that may be, so it no longer working would be a dealbreaker for me.)

- Is there an easy way to completely return the device to its factory setting and remove all traces of the hack (such as that installed driver that the tool's instructions seem to mention) and does this always need to go through the tool used for the hack itself (meaning there could still be traces of the tool / driver left)?

- What are the realistic chances of bricking the device and not being able to use it at all properly anymore, especially for a tech / emulator noob like myself?

While it is indeed cool to be able to increase the library of games while still having everything work in the original UI, I do have a slght worry that Nintendo might see this as a reason to not make more of these kind of things (like a Snes Classic) in the future because they can't control these things, or that if they do end up making more, that these will have some kind of anti-hacking measures in place like forcing updates over an internet connection or something. Both would be kind of a shame, the former scenario especially.

Maybe Nintendo should have implemented a legal way to increase the library size afterall though if there is such a strong demand for it, to help make these kind of hacking practices less attracttive to the larger public. Maybe they will go with that option for a possible Snes Classic now that I think about it.

Attract more will only select one of the original 30 and will skip over any new games.

As of maybe 2 versions ago a "uninstall" option has been implemented. It removes all traces of Hakchi and re-flashes the original kernel.

In the week that it's been out there have been zero reported bricks.

Yeah, unfortunately Mario will just skip those games. Which is a bummer because I love that feature, too! I just leave it on when I go to bed sometimes, it's very relaxing :) Maybe the creator of the software will work something out? I could be wrong, but I think some of the games seem to have specific demo routines, while others just run the game for a while.

I added a bunch of games yesterday, and I was grateful to be warned about JP Castlevania 3 not working.

I was lazy and didn't fill in the years. How difficult is it to change the contents of my NES Classic after I've changed it once?

My GF and I spent a while playing the Nintendo and Tengen tetris. Other than Dr. Mario, are there any other good games in this type of puzzle game?

Wario's woods is amazing!

I wished Nintendo altered some of the games to work on a flat screen TV. I.E Mike Tyson Punch Out. So he is actually able to be beaten.

I might do this mod if I can find one for 60 dollars not 200 dollars on ebay.

baconcow

Just did this on my Famicom Mini, took about 20 minutes tops. Very easy and not scary to do at all.

Got about 70 games on there, a few I wanted to add didn't work because of the mapper situation, will more mappers be added in future to allow these games that currently don't work.

The developer of Hackchi2 said updates will be made if supported mappers are discovered. He recently updated it to allow some of the mapper 71 games to run with another supported mapper. The FAQ suggests using ROMs that are patched for a common and supported mapper.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I've had mine running for a while now with pretty much no problem. However it looks like StarTropics 2 and Rad Racer 2 won't work correctly. RR2 has glitchy graphics whereas StarTropics 2 won't go past the file select screen.

I know this isn't a classic edition thread but the hack is the reason i would get one. Can you splice classic edition extension cables to replace the super tiny famicom controllers? You can snag the famicom classic for $100 on amazon vs. like $160 for the us model, plus it looks cooler imo. The only thing is, I want to use these:

q:100

Because I have them and they are amazing.

The removal of the epilepsy protection was the one thing holding me back. Crazy that they were able to kill that.

I know this isn't a classic edition thread but the hack is the reason i would get one. Can you splice classic edition extension cables to replace the super tiny famicom controllers? You can snag the famicom classic for $100 on amazon vs. like $160 for the us model, plus it looks cooler imo. The only thing is, I want to use these:

q:100

Because I have them and they are amazing.

The removal of the epilepsy protection was the one thing holding me back. Crazy that they were able to kill that.

It's compatible out of the box:

http://en-americas-support.nintendo...-are-compatible-with-the-nes-classic-edition?

BUT only for player two apparently

The developer of Hackchi2 said updates will be made if supported mappers are discovered. He recently updated it to allow some of the mapper 71 games to run with another supported mapper. The FAQ suggests using ROMs that are patched for a common and supported mapper.
Thanks. Will need to look in to this if roms can be patched to work?

They're very different styles of puzzle, but if you two haven't ever played it then please pick up The Adventures of Lolo. I absolutely love those games.

Top Bottom