• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ArsTechnica: Hackers unlock NES Classic, upload new games via USB cable

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Sam from Ars here. Nice. I'd be curious to hear how performance in Castlevania III, Battletoads, Tengen Ms. Pac-Man, and Micro Machines is on this. (Those are slightly tougher to emulate, but the NES doesn't throw up as many emulation complications as other systems, so I imagine it'll render those just fine.)

Hi Sam,

I tested Battletoads (at least so far as the speeder bike section - my reflexes aren't what they used to be) but everything appears to be working fine. I used the savestate function on Battletoads before the bike section so I was able to get unlimited "retries" so I can report that the save / load functionality works and there weren't any graphical glitches or other complications such as input lag.

I haven't tried the others but I'll give them a shot and report back.

EDIT: Castlevania III works well and I was able to beat the first level no problem. No noticeable input lag at all. The only graphical issue I encountered was when I picked up the "cross item" that clears the screen, rather than flashing (like I remember on the NES) it did this weird white screen and then slowly started updating as the sprites moved - it's a bit difficult to explain. Either way, it lasted for about 2 seconds then it was right back to normal, so it definitely doesn't interfere much with playing the game but I thought I'd mention it.

I was after this as well, mission accomplished

very nice!!! it goes well with the letter =)
titCECR.png
7QQifLc.png
THzINz7.png

just posting in case someone accuses me of not owning if i try it

thecjm

I decided to give this a shot, was really wanting to see if it could handle something like Dragon Quest Warrior IV.

The process itself didn't take too long to accomplish, but I was following a machine-translated guide so I was sure to read and re-read each section carefully. I've done a few mods like this in the past and I understand electronics and programming so I thought it was worth attempting. I used Windows 10. The basic process went like this:
  • Play Super Mario Bros (the first one) and create a save state in the first slot
  • Hook NES Classic to computer's USB, load into dev mode (hold reset, then press power, let go of reset after 3 seconds)
  • Use provided application to install USB drivers for the "Unknown Device" aka NES Classic
  • Dump the console's uboot and kernel via USB using the provided Hakchi program
  • Using the provided tools, recompiled the NES ROM file along with the chosen game's label image as a JPEG
  • Unpacked the kernel file using Hakchi
  • Copied the newly compiled ROM to the specified folder in the Hakchi directory
  • Rebuild the kernel file using Hakchi
  • Hit the "memboot" button in Hakchi, after which it shut down the console
  • Restarted the console in dev mode
  • Hit "Flash Kernel" in Hakchi, which took about 90 seconds
After that the console restarted and I had this in my menu!

Started up the game and it worked great. The volume is pretty high but there is a setting for that when compiling the ROM that I left at default but I'll probably lower on my next attempt. The graphics look sharp and everything appears to be working as far as I can tell - the only graphical issues I've seen are those that are present on the original NES so it appears everything is in order.

Next, I'm going to try flashing a few more games at once, then I'm going to try deleting an existing game. That is, if I can resist just spending a few days playing DQ4.

So it's about as complicated as setting up a RetroPie, but limited to 60 games?

Oh, baby. Now to figure out what 30 games to add.

Batman
Castlevania 3
Battletoads
Tetris
Contra
Tmnt
Tmnt 2
Tmnt 3
Mega man 1 and 3
Rockin kats
Ducktales
Rescue rangers
Darkwing duck
Rbi baseball
Bucky O'Hare
Shatterhand
Adventure Island
Dragon Warrior
Journey to silius
Bomberman 2
Mighty final fight
Double Dragon
River City Ransom
RC ProAm
Little Samson
Guardian Legend
Life Force
Blaster Master
Bionic Commando

Bam!

60 isnt nearly enough.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Oh, baby. Now to figure out what 30 games to add.

You can also remove some or all of the built in games if you have something on the console that doesn't fit into your "Top 60"

Chucker

Got mine working, picked 60, flashed, tested.
All good.

Forgot to make Jackal one of the 60.
Rekt :(

Edit: Interesting, the "seizure protection" seems naked into the emulator. The lightning in the beginning of CV3 triggered it.

You can also remove some or all of the built in games if you have something on the console that doesn't fit into your "Top 60"

Lets see... Ice Climber's gotta go. If we can do FDS games I'd definitely replace Mario Bros. with that superior version. Hell, it definitely needs Super Mario Bros. 2 JP action.

AgeEighty

You are a terrible poster, and can't be older than 13. Go away and never return.

Sure, I'll get right on that.

By the way, I'm curious to see if some kind of limit is reached on internal memory even before hitting 60 games, depending on the size of ROMs. And how titles with special considerations (battery save, coprocessor) are handled (or not).

indask8

Got mine working, picked 60, flashed, tested.
All good.

Forgot to make Jackal one of the 60.
Rekt :(

Edit: Interesting, the "seizure protection" seems naked into the emulator. The lightning in the beginning of CV3 triggered it.

Castlevania 3 works ?

Amazing, I thought they wouldn't bother implementing MMC5 since very few Nintendo games uses it.

EDIT: jshackles confirmed it just above I should have read the thread more closely. :(

yep

you can order similar device from China for like $20-30 and it will work out-of-box without any "hacks"

C'mon. This is an official hardware. Forget the box from China that can play Commodore 64 games along with PS1 games. It's more fun and challenging tinkering with an official hardware. Hacks are fun. Life is all about hacks and doing what you're told not to do.

It shouldn't be this hard to understand. Like why was there a major backlash at Linux being removed from PS3 when you can buy a far efficient Linux machine for much less? It's because it's official.

It has Nintendo's Seal of Approval, and tinkering within that Seal is fun! I would love to own NES Mini for this hack.

-shadow-

I know that Castlevania 3 works, but do the Japanese versions of these games also work, or is the emulator actually limited to the NES itself? I'd love playing the Japanese release on the TV using this!

I understand why the filter is there and I'm totally cool with it. But man Nintendo needs to give the option to disable it. Have it on by standard, that way they should've covered themselves from problems.

Edit: Anyone tried out a 50Hz ROM? I'm curious to see how the emulator would handle that. Just out of curiosity.

I know that Castlevania 3 works, but do the Japanese versions of these games also work, or is the emulator actually limited to the NES itself? I'd love playing the Japanese release on the TV using this!

I understand why the filter is there and I'm totally cool with it. But man Nintendo needs to give the option to disable it. Have it on by standard, that way they should've covered themselves from problems.
I'd imagine the emulator can't differentiate which region a rom is from.

DonMigs85

Nah. I'm good, thanks. And at least my posting is free of ad hominems.

By the way, I'm curious to see if some kind of limit is reached on internal memory even before hitting 60 games, depending on the size of ROMs. And how titles with special considerations (battery save, coprocessor) are handled (or not).
The mapper tells you if a ROM is unsupported, and I doubt space is an issue since there's no NES game bigger than 1MB.

Is the emulation in this unit worth it?

Limiting factor of

60 games
Is the emulation actually better than other methods?

I'd rather just have more games unless this is just the best emulation ever.

But I figure it will be nodded further anyways. Always thought the emulators with a list and video of game playing was perfect

AgeEighty

512MB,so I'm sure there's tons of room to spare. Savestates are also a few hundred kilobytes at most.

That plus revelations about features buried in the UI make me wonder if they had grander plans for the NES Mini at one point, or if they designed it with future revisions in mind. I'd say updated releases look more likely.

EDIT: Then again, I just remembered someone saying that all the extra space is likely only because in this day and age the cheapest memory available was that size.

And here I was thinking they should've shipped the EU version with Nintendo World Cup instead of Tecmo Bowl. Now I get to fix it myself!

Thanks so much for the instructions and game suggestions people, gonna get around to this ASAP!

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
Why not just buy a raspberry pi for less money if your goal is to play more stuff than Nintendo delivers with the classic?

petran79

Banned
Probably emulator does not support that many mappers, due to the limited amount of supported games.

Some games may not even run, apart from the popular ones

chrislowe

Only own 14 nes games myself so 60 games limit is far off anyway.
Playing shatterhand without composite-shimmersignal sounds nice.

Chindogg

Some guy in that reddit thread made a small program that does the majority of the work for you. including installing the USB drive. Get it here.

Warning: it will false flag your antivirus. Check it out and it's fine, whitelist it or ignore it if you wish.

samn

Well, I mean, if you're going to use a USB to install games on this thing, why bother getting it to begin with? Why not just stick with an emulator?

because I'd have to buy a steam link which doesn't work so well over my network or drag my gaming PC downstairs

Mexen

Can't we go deeper, hackers? Each slot occupied by a game in the UI is converted into a 'folder' instead.

Now each folder can 'contain' 60 games. 60 folders by 60 games = 3600 games.

StayDead

I decided to give this a shot, was really wanting to see if it could handle something like Dragon Quest Warrior IV.

The process itself didn't take too long to accomplish, but I was following a machine-translated guide so I was sure to read and re-read each section carefully. I've done a few mods like this in the past and I understand electronics and programming so I thought it was worth attempting. I used Windows 10. The basic process went like this:
  • Play Super Mario Bros (the first one) and create a save state in the first slot
  • Hook NES Classic to computer's USB, load into dev mode (hold reset, then press power, let go of reset after 3 seconds)
  • Use provided application to install USB drivers for the "Unknown Device" aka NES Classic
  • Dump the console's uboot and kernel via USB using the provided Hakchi program
  • Using the provided tools, recompiled the NES ROM file along with the chosen game's label image as a JPEG
  • Unpacked the kernel file using Hakchi
  • Copied the newly compiled ROM to the specified folder in the Hakchi directory
  • Rebuild the kernel file using Hakchi
  • Hit the "memboot" button in Hakchi, after which it shut down the console
  • Restarted the console in dev mode
  • Hit "Flash Kernel" in Hakchi, which took about 90 seconds
After that the console restarted and I had this in my menu!

Started up the game and it worked great. The volume is pretty high but there is a setting for that when compiling the ROM that I left at default but I'll probably lower on my next attempt. The graphics look sharp and everything appears to be working as far as I can tell - the only graphical issues I've seen are those that are present on the original NES so it appears everything is in order.

Next, I'm going to try flashing a few more games at once, then I'm going to try deleting an existing game. That is, if I can resist just spending a few days playing DQ4.

Thanks for the guide! Not too sure if I'll do it yet, but useful to know!

Remember guys, this is only the *start*.

The teardowns revealed that the NES classic has an AllWinner R16 SoC.

That's a Quad core Cortex A7 with a Mali400.

ARM CPU, sure, but Double the GFLOPS of the Wii.

Nintendo could make an SNES, N64 and Camecube Mini with exactly the same hardware. All they'd have to do was upgrade the NAND.

Hacking wise, it would be possible to get the thing running Dolphin.

Cepheus

I didn't expect this to get hacked so quickly. Awesome, but yeah, if Nintendo patches this out of future units sold, scalpers will be rolling in money.

timshundo

Nintendo could make an SNES, N64 and Camecube Mini with exactly the same hardware. All they'd have to do was upgrade the NAND.

I camecube

With that hardware, gamecube isnt happening. And N64 isnt guaranted for all games.

Top Bottom