• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Artbooks - The Best And The Worst

Satch

Banned
So I guess the audible free book promotion has been canceled or something like that right ? On another note, what are the chance Amazon.fr ever restock the Breath of Fire artbook ?

Seriously? I couldn't ever figure out how to even do the damn thing.
yes they cancelled it, they said something was wrong with the promotion (lol)

so if you didnt get what you wanted the day the promotion was posted, youre out of luck

Mieu

For those who were asking...

Edit 2: These are the conditions that apparently need to be met in order to get the free physical book offer

Eligibility Criteria for this is :
1. They are new Audible customers
2. They have made 2 physical book purchases in the last 6 months.
3. They are on the PDP for specific book titles that cost $50 or less
credit to: Vincent Alexander
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...&postc

1upsuper

Edit 2: These are the conditions that apparently need to be met in order to get the free physical book offer

Ugh, what a fucking drag. I was eligible and everything but couldn't figure out how to actually do it for the life of me. What's a PDP? That link isn't working.

1upsuper

question gaf. I want to buy the sky book from final fantasy is it worth it.

It's great. Really nice presentation and good paper quality. Just make sure you have room for it. It's bigger than you probably think. IMO Amano's art for the series took a serious turn for the worste after VI though, so I really don't care for the third book. The first two are awesome though.

Hu3

Neo Member
It's great. Really nice presentation and good paper quality. Just make sure you have room for it. It's bigger than you probably think. IMO Amano's art for the series took a serious turn for the worste after VI though, so I really don't care for the third book. The first two are awesome though.

thank you.

Blizzard needs to put together a Overwatch tribute book like how Udon does tribute books for Street Fighter and other Capcom IPs. You can easily fill 300 pages of really good OW fan art.

Blizzard needs to put together a Overwatch tribute book like how Udon does tribute books for Street Fighter and other Capcom IPs. You can easily fill 300 pages of really good OW fan art.

Inb4 its 90% semi-erotic Phar-Mercy pictures.

But seriously I would love a really good tribute book for Overwatch, theres so much good work its hard to keep up (And filter out all the weird shit)

Inb4 its 90% semi-erotic Phar-Mercy pictures.

But seriously I would love a really good tribute book for Overwatch, theres so much good work its hard to keep up (And filter out all the weird shit)

When Udon announced Capcom Fighting Tribute they asked the fans to submit their best fan art. It's probably easier to do it that way so you can sort out the acceptable from the lewd.

Arulan

Well, there's one of those books for each game. They're all in the same format, though the Dark Souls III book hasn't been localized yet.
1 is very similar but much shorter. Bloodborne is worse - it has tons of art but almost zero text and feels cheaper. 3 hasn't been localized yet, right?

I'd recommend getting the DaS1 book.

Thanks. I've looked into the Dark Souls (1) book, but it seems it's sold out and/or very expensive at the moment.

1upsuper

Thanks. I've looked into the Dark Souls (1) book, but it seems it's sold out and/or very expensive at the moment.

Yeah, it has gotten a couple reprints but they tend to sell out quickly each time. You have to get lucky or pay scalper prices. As much as I like the book, there isn't enough content to pay a dollar above the suggested retail price.

Yeah I found that book on amazon earlier this year for a great price and love the hell out of it. This summer the SNES one went up for pre sell on amazon for $22 but it looks like that might fall though as it has been delayed twice already. Hope my order goes through as it looks to be an even better one then the NES!

i refuse to cancel my order!! they ask every now and then if i want to wait. hell yeah im going to wait. they might actually fulfill my order. and it was cheap.

When Udon announced Capcom Fighting Tribute they asked the fans to submit their best fan art. It's probably easier to do it that way so you can sort out the acceptable from the lewd.

Figured that had to be how it worked. I have the tribute books for that and Megaman, and I love both so much, the super huge variance of art styles is amazing. They are some of my go to books when I want to try out something new in my own work.

Oh man, can't believe I never heard of the (now apparently cancelled) promotion. Was eligible and can easily list 5 art books that I would love to have gotten.

Figured that had to be how it worked. I have the tribute books for that and Megaman, and I love both so much, the super huge variance of art styles is amazing. They are some of my go to books when I want to try out something new in my own work.
It also works better in that the fans put in their A game on the fan art instead of submitting a half ass Piece. Most of the fan art on Capcom Fighting Tribute is really good and looks professional.

1upsuper

While I'm not a fan of Overwatch, I can attest to the quality of Udon's Tribute books. They're excellent. It's always fun to see different interpretations of games. Let's you see what's important to different people.

Got the DS2 design works to go with my DS1. I know the bloodborne one isn't hard cover but is it the same height?

The BB artbook will stick out like a sore thumb next to the Souls books. It's annoying.

It also works better in that the fans put in their A game on the fan art instead of submitting a half ass Piece. Most of the fan art on Capcom Fighting Tribute is really good and looks professional.

I have that one along with the Darkstalkers and Street Fighter Tribute books and they're all really fun collections. There's a lot of diversity in the art styles.

Mieu

Oh man, can't believe I never heard of the (now apparently cancelled) promotion. Was eligible and can easily list 5 art books that I would love to have gotten.

What artbooks do you have in mind? I'm torn between buying a comic series, an art book, or an omnibus

R.D.Blax

Look like I was ineligible from the start. Now to find how to stop my audible subscription before they charge me...

What artbooks do you have in mind? I'm torn between buying a comic series, an art book, or an omnibus

Splatoon, Phoenix Wright, Legend of Heroes, Disgaeart and Zelda Art and Artifacts are the first ones that come to mind. Oh and Persona 3/4 and Xenoblade, though the latter is Japanese so I don't think it would count?

Adry9

I'm still trying to get the code but at this point they are just taking the piss.

Rajesh :Okay based on the nature of the issue you are facing I'm forced to transfer you to Amazon for further assistance.
Me:Ok

An agent will be back with you soon.
You are now connected to Anil from Audible.com.

Anil:Hello, my name is Anil. Please give me a moment to review the previous correspondence.
Thank you for waiting.
Is this promotion related to Audible ?
Me:Yes
Anil:Okay.
A member of the Audible team will need to help you with this. Please hold while I transfer you.

You are now connected to Sunanda from Audible.com.

Sunanda:Hello, my name is Sunanda. Please give me a moment to review the previous correspondence.
I'm sorry you have been routed to the wrong team. Let me connect you to the correct team who will be the best people to help you with. It will just take a moment.

You are now connected to Corrine from Audible.com.

EDIT:

Yeah, I was told I wouldn't get the code because the promotion ended on the 14th and I signed up on the 15th, even though the lady that signed me up guaranteed me the promo was in place and I would get a code. On top of that they told me they couldn't revert me to a new customer so I'll miss on future deals like this. What a scam, I get they fucked up with the promo but they should honor it to the ones that were promised a code, or at least revert things back to how they were before.

Mieu

Splatoon, Phoenix Wright, Legend of Heroes, Disgaeart and Zelda Art and Artifacts are the first ones that come to mind. Oh and Persona 3/4 and Xenoblade, though the latter is Japanese so I don't think it would count?

Thanks! I already have the Persona books, and Zelda. Just waiting for P5 and Encyclopedia. I'm on the fence for the two Legend of Heroes books. I haven't played ome since the PSP ones. Haha!

I'm still trying to get the code but at this point they are just taking the piss.

EDIT:

Yeah, I was told I wouldn't get the code because the promotion ended on the 14th and I signed up on the 15th, even though the lady that signed me up guaranteed me the promo was in place and I would get a code. On top of that they told me they couldn't revert me to a new customer so I'll miss on future deals like this. What a scam, I get they fucked up with the promo but they should honor it to the ones that were promised a code, or at least revert things back to how they were before.

You just need patience, justice, and love to achieve victory!

Gonna miss this thread, saved me money and showed me lots of books I needed for my collection before they went out of print. Also which ones to avoid

X2X0

EDIT:

I signed up for it on the 15th as well and didn't get the promotion, but after contacting them, they sent me a code for it 2 days later on my email.

Tell them that at the time you signed up for the trial you saw the ad for the promotion and that's what made you go for it.
I'm pretty sure the ad for the promotion was still up on the 15th.

Wulfric

Lots of good recommendations in this thread.

Thanks to all the people who posted here. I hope you flourish wherever you chose to be.

Guess I'll end the thread with this beauty from Cook and Becker:

https://www.candb.com/en/artwork/2364/the-art-and-design-of-final-fantasy-xv-square-enix.html

Be kind to each other.

FLl02K9.jpg
5EDfSvZ.jpg
NahUImH.jpg
hnoTtZN.jpg

Adry9

I signed up for it on the 15th as well and didn't get the promotion, but after contacting them, they sent me a code for it 2 days later on my email.

Tell them that at the time you signed up for the trial you saw the ad for the promotion and that's what made you go for it.
I'm pretty sure the ad for the promotion was still up on the 15th.

I did, in fact, it was an assistant who signed me up on the basis I would get the code. Told them that and they didn't even care.

Mieu

It's unfortunate that sine were not able to get the books.

Politeness, patience, and making sure you're eligible goes a long way. They issued me a $50 promo code to redeem any eligible book.

Crixus

Does anyone have the Dishonored art/lore book? How is the lore in there? Worth picking up? It's like $40..
I have Dishonored: The Dunwall Archives and it's ok...ish I guess, but I'd only recommend it to avid collectors who need to have a physical book for their favorite game. It doesn't add new lore, it's just a collection of excerpts from letters, books, posters, paintings and artwork already available in the game. It's supposed to have some "never seen before" artwork, but to me everything looks very minimalistic and familiar. What's really underwhelming (to me) is the small format of the book, for some reason they decided to make it just a little bigger than A5 and it looks weird on a shelf with normal sized artbooks. Maybe the book size is also the reason I don't find the pictures very impressive to look at, for such a small book there's too much blank space wasted and too few full page or two-page pictures. Technically it's very good though, thick pages with a pleasant semi-gloss finish. On Amazon it's $29.

What are the best, and what are some disappointing ones? Perhaps missed potential? Both of the above I really loved, and I'm interested in seeking out others of quality.

Does anyone have the Dishonored art/lore book? How is the lore in there? Worth picking up? It's like $40..

Its a lore book. Lots of text. Not much illustration.

Dishonored 2 artbook on the other hand is god tier. Some of the best one I own

rackham

Banned
I have Dishonored: The Dunwall Archives and it's ok...ish I guess, but I'd only recommend it to avid collectors who need to have a physical book for their favorite game. It doesn't add new lore, it's just a collection of excerpts from letters, books, posters, paintings and artwork already available in the game. It's supposed to have some "never seen before" artwork, but to me everything looks very minimalistic and familiar. What's really underwhelming (to me) is the small format of the book, for some reason they decided to make it just a little bigger than A5 and it looks weird on a shelf with normal sized artbooks. Maybe the book size is also the reason I don't find the pictures very impressive to look at, for such a small book there's too much blank space wasted and too few full page or two-page pictures. Technically it's very good though, thick pages with a pleasant semi-gloss finish. On Amazon it's $29.
I like the size. Fits on a shelf nicely.
Its a lore book. Lots of text. Not much illustration.

Dishonored 2 artbook on the other hand is god tier. Some of the best one I own
What kind of stuff does the second one have? Mostly interested in lore.

I like the size. Fits on a shelf nicely.

What kind of stuff does the second one have? Mostly interested in lore.

Second one is only art : characters, environements, level design studies, props, items, power animations... It has commentary but it's not a lore book. it's a pure artbook.

toneroni

Wish I found this thread earlier, have been on a gaming artbook kick lately!
I usually go to the CAG artbook thread but hope this one will survive too!

Mieu

Deluxe Edition for the Zelda Encyclopedia is now up for PO thru Amazon.

It looks like the original gold cartridge. It will ruin the look of the trilogy
Haha

Lots of good recommendations in this thread.

Thanks to all the people who posted here. I hope you flourish wherever you chose to be.

Guess I'll end the thread with this beauty from Cook and Becker:

https://www.candb.com/en/artwork/2364/the-art-and-design-of-final-fantasy-xv-square-enix.html

Be kind to each other.

Is this on Amazon already? I thought it's gonna be available there soon?

Wish I found this thread earlier, have been on a gaming artbook kick lately!
I usually go to the CAG artbook thread but hope this one will survive too!

What's that thread?

Top Bottom