• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-American family uses BLM sign, receives hatemail/threats

Dabanton

God damn "Blue Lives Matter" gets me so agitated. Why the fuck is that necessary?

At this point anyone who utters that phrase is highly suspect to me.

Like obviously cops lives matter but why do they have to be singled out? They’re not a minority they are people who have chosen to be cops, have the protection of their over powerful union and governmental apparatus and are supppse to be protecting and serving.

Slayven

20130321-185521.jpg

b877f7a3888ec2756e2f277b1377c58f.jpg

Geist-

But despite that, she and her family remain undeterred in their expression of support for the BLM movement. Moreover, they've doubled down on it, placing more signs in their window that read, "STANDING WITH MY NEIGHBORS AGAINST HATE." As well, at a community meeting on Monday where she was to speak about her experience, Lee was greeted with a round of applause.
I was ready to leave this thread angry, but now I'm just proud of my fellow man. A few assholes aren't going to stop the love.

Sad thing is that it's probably one of their neighbours who says hello and smiles at them.
Although, its heartening to see people of one race show support for another. I'm sure members of the #HYON gang will choose to over look this story.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
This is even crazier being its California, but I guess you really can't excape racism and shit.

I'm honestly floored by the fact that its in San Francisco - a place I thought to be ultra-inclusive and sensitive to topics of discrimination. I always figured that a racist would literally feel like they were suffocating if in sanfran - it seemed like that kind of place.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Makes sense Asians and Blacks have history towards civil rights. I know slavery for railroads was a thing

This country's first immigration laws (before which it was basically as long as you get here and aren't a plague carrier, congrats and welcome) were specifically aimed at curtailing Chinese immigration. Something to keep in mind whenever somebody whose family has been here since the mid 19th century prattles on about "doing it legally" or "waiting in line."

Vamphuntr

Would be pretty interesting to put a hidden camera to check who is dumping that much hatred in their mailbox. Those cowards probably wouldn't like to know they are filmed.

Gnomepowered

Neo Member
I live in the UK and have never heard anyone say that. I'm aware of Chink as a derogatory term for Chinese people, but I've never heard anyone use it in that way, or describe the restaurants as Chinkies. Obviously just my own experience though, yours may vary.

Edit: I'm white so I wouldn't have had it directed at me, that might be part of the reason I haven't heard it.

I had a coworker describe a picture of herself as "chinky" because she was squinting when it was taken, which makes me think it is very much in the common vocabulary of a lot of folks in the USA.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Makes sense Asians and Blacks have history towards civil rights. I know slavery for railroads was a thing

They have a long and interesting history that mixes working together and more antagonistic periods as well. Similar to the Jewish and black communities.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

They have a long and interesting history that mixes working together and more antagonistic periods as well. Similar to the Jewish and black communities.

We need more solidarity. It's cool to see that sign as a callback.

Racism against various asian groups was rampant on the west coast for a long while and that history is still often taught here in school districts with larger asian populations, so it's not surprising.

Racism against Japanese and Chinese is more widely well known, but it extends to plenty of others. Filipino examples:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Filipino_sentiment

Racial discrimination towards Filipinos in America was evident during the American colonial period in the Philippines. Filipinos were often labelled as half-civilized or half-savage, worthless, uneducated and unscrupulous. Filipinos were perceived to be taking the jobs of the Caucasian Americans. They were accused of attracting Caucasian women which led to the passing of an Anti-miscegenation law. Crime and violence was likely to be associated with Filipinos and they were shunned for their substandard living conditions, where in one instance there were as many as twenty people sleeping in one room. These were just racial prejudices and Filipinos in America were affected by various socio-economic factors. The majority of Filipinos were men with a gender ratio with Filipino males to females in California of approximately 14 to 1. Filipino workers were forced to live in poor conditions since they were poorly waged.

http://www.csus.edu/aas/sobredo/Filipinos_in_SF_Bay.html

San Francisco played a crucial role in the history of Filipino Americans. It was from this city that US troops were recruited, organized, garrisoned and trained for fighting a war in the Philippines. At first it was a "Spanish-American War" in 1898. Then the Spaniards surrendered, and a peace treaty signed in Paris gave the US sovereignty over the Philippines. This was completely unacceptable, to say the least, to General Emilio Aguinaldo and the Filipinos who had been fighting a war of independence against the Spaniards since 1896. By the following year in 1899, fighting broke out between Filipino and American troops, and this started the "Philippine-American War," a well-known war to Filipinos but nearly forgotten in the annals of American history.

It was a war in which the racist ideology of social darwinism played a crucial role. American troops who were fighting in the war frequently called Filipinos "brainless monkeys," "niggers," and "injuns." Many of the troops thought they were fighting another "injun war." African Americans also fought in the war as part of the US forces, and some blacks were so incensed by the racism directed against Filipinos that they joined the Filipino rebels and fought against US imperialism. The most famous black soldier who joined the Filipino rebels was David Fagan, of the US 24th Infantry, who eventually became an officer in the Philippine Revolutionary Army.

Derwind

Major props to this family, and I hope they know even if hateful people notice these signs, the positive act of solidarity they show in spite of the hate will not go unnoticed either.

High fives to the family for sticking to it. I hope no one tries to hurt them or their property. I doubt the police will do anything.

D i Z

God damn "Blue Lives Matter" gets me so agitated. Why the fuck is that necessary?

Little minds have trouble grasping simple concepts. By and large, people aren't taught how to think for themselves. They are taught to comply, get along and adopt the current social positions presented to their particular groups by authority figures.

Props to the family holding ground. I hope they get whatever local support they need.

All part of the normal American experience. Don't you dare express solidarity with black life. You better view them with thinly veiled disgust and indifference like the rest of us or we'll outcast you!

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
That's Richard Aoki.

quote-based-on-my-experience-i-ve-seen-where-unity-amongst-the-races-has-yielded-positive-richard-aoki-61-82-46.jpg

That's him again in the last picture to the left in my previous post.

He was said to also be an FBI informant for what that is worth and has soured his name a bit.
Is that clearly evidenced? Institutions often throw that claim around to discredit dissenters. Still doesnt discredit his visual coolness though

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
BTW, the neighborhood she lives in is rich and liberal in general. I suspect this is one specific neighbor. Should be pretty easy to figure out who.

D i Z

Good for them. Hope nothing bad happens to them.

Honestly the BLM movement inspired so much hate. It's odd.

Personally, and I mean this honestly-- I'd be afraid to put a sign like that up. That family is braver than me.

I don't blame you. These fires are hot, and will burn anyone who ventures near.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Is that clearly evidenced? Institutions often throw that claim around to discredit dissenters. Still doesnt discredit his visual coolness though

The documents released seem pretty damning, but you are right in questioning it since so many figures in the civil rights movements were targets for smear campaigns to try to discredit them. Sadly I think this might be a case where he really was an informant. Still did a lot of good despite that I suppose.

platocplx

Yep. Us had a whole excusion act for people of asian decent. You can find many stories of peoples resturants being firebombed etc. It was some interesting history i learned about recently when I was watching the Doc Searching for General Tso.

Additionally many asian people have their own form of racism. This article talks about it at length. GHOSTS OF WHITE PEOPLE PAST: WITNESSING WHITE FLIGHT FROM AN ASIAN ETHNOBURB

Basically even being a so called "model" Minority there are things many white people do towards asian folks.

Estellex

I'm honestly floored by the fact that its in San Francisco - a place I thought to be ultra-inclusive and sensitive to topics of discrimination. I always figured that a racist would literally feel like they were suffocating if in sanfran - it seemed like that kind of place.

Me too. I lived in San Francisco for about a decade and it is one of the most tolerant places for people of colors.

Extremely ultra-liberal. I am surprised that an Asian was the target.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk

I move every few years and have lived in many states and cities. I experienced more racism in major CA cities than I ever did in a number of Midwest states

ChanMan

I move every few years and have lived in many states and cities. I experienced more racism in major CA cities than I ever did in a number of Midwest states

Funny you say this I have a friend that moved from the South to San Mateo, CA a few years ago and he said it opened his eyes because he was always a bit naive towards it. He always tells me about it at least a few times a week he is experiencing some racist/prejudice crap in the workplace.

Slayven

Me too. I lived in San Francisco for about a decade and it is one of the most tolerant places for people of colors.

Extremely ultra-liberal. I am surprised that an Asian was the target.

Somebody should tell that San Fran police. They are a mini LAPD

Top Bottom