• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian Films

Status
Not open for further replies.

Porcile

Going back the Arrow Films discussion, I noticed that they're the same guys who put out that sweet Stray Cat Rock Blu-ray box set last year. That one was region B locked and that made me sad. Since they're releasing The Yakuza Papers box simultaneously in regions A and B this time, just for kicks I checked amazon.com and there now is a region A Stray Cat Rock box from Arrow (at a great price too).

http://www.amazon.com/5-Disc-Limited-Delinquent-Machine-Blu-ray/dp/B00VMFS266/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1442865210&sr=8-1&keywords=stray+cat+rock

The only film from that set I saw previously was Sex Hunter, which was great. As a huge Meiko Kaji fan, this is mind-blowingly awesome. Female Prisoner Scorpion Blu-ray box next please.

It's an awesome boxset. Unfortunately it was only limited to 2000 copies here in the UK so it's sold out now. Of course I got one straight away though haha. Apparently they were going to release them all as separate films but I wonder if that will happen now. I don't think the demand is there for all the films as separate releases. Anyway, I would definitely snap this up now you have the chance. I don't know who did the remaster but they did a great job. The films looks really nice.

BOTEC

It's an awesome boxset. Unfortunately it was only limited to 2000 copies here in the UK so it's sold out now. Of course I got one straight away though haha. Apparently they were going to release them all as separate films but I wonder if that will happen now. I don't think the demand is there for all the films as separate releases. Anyway, I would definitely snap this up now you have the chance. I don't know who did the remaster but they did a great job. The films looks really nice.

I jumped on it the same day I saw it (and it was delivered this morning), I couldn't let it slip by. It looks like amazon restocked since then too. When I ordered it last week it said there were only 2 left, now it just says "in stock," so there should be a sizeable amount left. Looks like Arrow limits their sets to 2000 for the UK, and 3000 for the US. We get a few more here.

In the back of the booklet it mentions that Nikkatsu did the transfer in-house from their original archival prints.

Porcile

I jumped on it the same day I saw it (and it was delivered this morning), I couldn't let it slip by. It looks like amazon restocked since then too. When I ordered it last week it said there were only 2 left, now it just says "in stock," so there should be a sizeable amount left. Looks like Arrow limits their sets to 2000 for the UK, and 3000 for the US. We get a few more here.

In the back of the booklet it mentions that Nikkatsu did the transfer in-house from their original archival prints.

Arrow are also releasing a Kiju Yoshida (Yoshishige Yoshida) boxset. Having never seen any of his films, I can't make any comment on them, other than that they are sure to be interesting if that era of Japanese cinema happens to interest you.

http://www.arrowfilms.co.uk/shop/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=571

Watched A Hard Day last night, definitely recommend.
d897c6d2a6ef06c7d7f0b9a6a7962194.jpg

TCRS

Banned
damn it! netflix is so slow with asian movies. and here we finally have netflix japan but no english substitles!

life is truly frustrating as an asian movie fan.

Arrow are also releasing a Kiju Yoshida (Yoshishige Yoshida) boxset. Having never seen any of his films, I can't make any comment on them, other than that they are sure to be interesting if that era of Japanese cinema happens to interest you.

http://www.arrowfilms.co.uk/shop/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=571
They are some of the more arty films from the japanese new wave era. Narrative and dialogues can be rather abstract and especially the camera angles are pushing boundaries. It's not for everyone, but he's one of the most respected directors of his time along Oshima and Imamura.

Hazaku

damn it! netflix is so slow with asian movies. and here we finally have netflix japan but no english substitles!

Hahaha. I wanted to rewatch the 90s live action adaption of GTO on it with some friends but we were surprised to see no subtitle options for anything on there at all.

I'm sure they're coming though. I mean everything on there's already got an English description/synopsis ready.

Just finished watching Tôi Thấy Hoa Vàng Trên Cỏ Xanh (Yellow Flowers on Green Grass), a new film out of Vietnam. Really touching film, I don't know if or when English subtitles will ever be available, perhaps I'll be the one to write them up if I ever get enough time.

Closest thing I can compare it to is some Chinese movies like Huo Zhe (To Live) or The Road Home. Vietnam isn't really known for its films but this one has some of the best scenery I've ever seen and definitely sits among the top in this genre of all the asian films I've seen.

Trailer here

sora87

I watched Confessions the other night, seriously distressing and brutal film, definitely on par with Chan-Wook Park's vengeance trilogy.

.la1n

Bump,

I noticed "No Tears for the Dead" is on US netflix. Any good?

I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as the directors previous effort (the man from nowhere.) It takes a while to get up to speed but there's some good action towards the end. Worth watching but temper expectations.

can we get a nice list of decent films from the past year and a half ? Anyone have such a thing. Movie store here has all kinds of movies but its hard to judge which are good just from the covers lol

are there some websites that cover

New releases / old classics etc
\reviews

A lot of those lovey dovey korean movies are hard to imagine they are good without some help

to add to this enjoyed greatful dead

gwailo

Banned
can we get a nice list of decent films from the past year and a half ? Anyone have such a thing. Movie store here has all kinds of movies but its hard to judge which are good just from the covers lol

are there some websites that cover

New releases / old classics etc
\reviews

A lot of those lovey dovey korean movies are hard to imagine they are good without some help

to add to this enjoyed greatful dead

Hi, sorry for the plug - mods can feel free to delete.

I run a site that reviews Hong Kong/Chinese movies. It's on hiatus due to an illness in my family, but that are 1600+ reviews online.

http://hkfilm.net/hkmovie.htm

Some recent movies I liked. Most of these are on Netflix and/or available from places like Amazon.

Office
Dragon Blade
Wolf Warriors
Once Upon a Time in Shanghai
That Demon Within
The Taking of Tiger Mountain
As the Light Goes Out
Brotherhood of Blades
Black Coal, Thin Ice
Kung Fu Jungle

It's a lot better than it used to be. When I got into HK movies, pretty much the only official releases were from crap companies like Tai Seng who put out shitty 3rd generation VHS tapes with the movie split on to 2 tapes for $50 or more.

Still pretty baffling that we don't have a decent uncut subtitled DVD or Bluray for Drunken Master 2 though, but you can blame the Weinsteins/Miramax for that, who always treated Asian films like crap.

Moonkid

Just saw The Veteran. I was skeptical from the marketing but what I got was a very solid flick. Tightly written with a great balance of humour and drama, this was a legitimately well made film. Didn't really blow me away or anything but it's a step above the usual.

thenexus6

I just wwatched The Woodsman and the Rain and really enjoyed it. There was a few times were it slowed down a little, but it picked back up soon after.

I really like movies like this, they are very natural and easy to watch. The cinematography is clean and simple. No stupid angles or editing. Music is perfect suited. Having worked on some movies myself its especially fun watching a film where the characters are making a film themselves too.

Llyranor

I'm trying my hand at Korean film. The only one I've seen is My Sassy Girl a lifetime ago :p

On my list of potentials:
- The Good, The Bad, The Weird
- The Man from Nowhere
- I Saw the Devil
- The Chaser

The first seem to be my style, being action films. I've been highly recommended the last two, but I'm not sure how into revenge thrillers I would be. I'm usually pretty fine with graphical violence and gore, but not sure how I would swallow extensive torture/rape. What can you guys say about these movies?

qcf x2

I'm trying my hand at Korean film. The only one I've seen is My Sassy Girl a lifetime ago :p

- The Man from Nowhere
- I Saw the Devil
- The Chaser

The first seem to be my style, being action films. I've been highly recommended the last two, but I'm not sure how into revenge thrillers I would be. I'm usually pretty fine with graphical violence and gore, but not sure how I would swallow extensive torture/rape. What can you guys say about these movies?

Good, Bad, Weird - it's ok, fun if you're into spaghetti westerns
Man From Nowhere - start w/ this, it's one of the finest "gateway" films into the genre, and one of the best action movies I've ever seen
I Saw the Devil - really good thriller, has some torture but not Saw levels
The Chaser - a good thriller, has a bit more torture/rape but not Saw levels

I assume you're watching these on Netflix, right?

TCRS

Banned

- The Man from Nowhere
- I Saw the Devil
- The Chaser

didn't like the first one very much but the others are great. other movies to watch:

- New World
- Vengeance trilogy (Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, Oldboy, Lady Vengeance)
- Breathless
- Commitment
- The Suspect
- A Company Man
- Ode to my Father

great stuff. why doesnt netflix hurry the fuck up and add more korean movies?

netflix korea doesn't have english subtitles I'm guessing just like netflix japan :(

gwailo

Banned
It's because there are very few Asian movies officially released in the US. All of Netflix's Korean films are licensed from Well Go, who are one of the few US companies that releases recent Asian films. They are adding more TV series though.

Decado

It's because there are very few Asian movies officially released in the US. All of Netflix's Korean films are licensed from Well Go, who are one of the few US companies that releases recent Asian films. They are adding more TV series though.
What particularly good ones from the past 5 years or so haven't been picked up? Seems like all the promising ones do. Action and thrillers, anayway.

Just saw The Veteran. I was skeptical from the marketing but what I got was a very solid flick. Tightly written with a great balance of humour and drama, this was a legitimately well made film. Didn't really blow me away or anything but it's a step above the usual.

I really enjoyed it too.

Vard

Trailer for Park Chan-wook's next film, The Handmaiden (which is showing at Cannes and supposedly coming to the U.S. in September): http://youtu.be/IkvHtfRAKNk

Based off of early impressions, it will be better than Stoker (that's a low bar though). I'm excited for this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom