• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian Films

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Why do people like Ong Bak?

Someone explain this to me. Is it just Tony Jaa's physical skill? because that's the only thing that makes sense.

Ratrat

AAK said:
Greatest Movie I've ever seen. I have yet to show this film to anyone that hasn't been wowed.

yup it was incredible watching this after too many cg ridden wire-fu wuxia films.
Are the sequels any good?

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Ratrat said:
yup it was incredible watching this after too many cg ridden wire-fu wuxia films.
Are the sequels any good?

Give me back my Buddha head!

Give me back my elephant!

Mel-Gibson-Ransom-PhoneScream.jpg

GIVE ME BACK MY SON!

Kikujiro

My favourite Edward Yang's is Yi Yi, I think it's easier to start with that and then A Summer Brighter Day. He was one of the greatest director.

Apichatpong Weerasethakul is the critics' new favourite, Tropical Malady was amazing, Syndromes and a Century not so much.

Another great director from Taiwan is Tsai Ming Liang:
Rebels of the Neon God, Vive L'Amour, The Hole.

The best movies from Takashi Miike:
Bird People in China
Gozu
Audition
Happiness of the Katakuris

The Good, The Bad, The Weird was good but Kim Ji-woon best still remains Two Sisters (oh my god the long shot at the end).

I love Jia ZhangKe, 24 City is something hypnotic.

Grimmy sorry but you really sound like a prick, you don't like Kim Ki-duk? Fine, but calling him an emperor without clothes is just your opinion.

Kim Ki-duk directed a lot of great movies:
Address Unknown
3 Iron
Samaritan Girl
Time

His latest two works are not so great because he's simply repeating himself and that's a problem a lot of directors have (Tarantino, Tsai Ming Liang, Takeshi Kitano, even Bela Tarr's latest work was a little disappointing).

meppi

Finally got a hold of Pepermint Candy and watched it moments ago.

Be sure to add this one to the list.

And I can easily second Chunking Express, Love Exposure and My Sassy Girl just to name a few that have already been mentioned.

Flek

Banned
Nose Master said:
I know this thread is more for serious asian movies, but...

Robo-Geisha

Has anyone ever seen this? TGP was fairly amazing, so.

iam gonna pick up the bluray soon … haven´t seen it yet but loved all the other shit like TGP. But still Machine Girl is KING, nothing can ever come close

Bleepey

ChiTownBuffalo said:

Someone explain this to me. Is it just Tony Jaa's physical skill? because that's the only thing that makes sense.

They have not seen Project A or Police Story 1-4.

ChiTownBuffalo

Bleepey said:
They have not seen Project A or Police Story 1-4.

This makes the most sense. Because quite frankly, I think Tony Jaa's movies are shit.

Flek said:
iam gonna pick up the bluray soon … haven´t seen it yet but loved all the other shit like TGP. But still Machine Girl is KING, nothing can ever come close

Damnit. When I saw Machine Girl I had quite a few beers in me. The only part I can actually remember is
drill boobs
. No idea what the actual story was even remotely about. My little brother, who hadn't been drinking at all and was a complete virgin to asian films let alone the silly wtf-inducing over the top gore fest genre, said the next day that the movie must have been made by some kind of sadist.

ChiTownBuffalo said:

Is there any other reason to like it? The guy was doing some really cool wireless stunts at a time when every one was using wires, or using CG. He was also using a fighting style different from the typical "I know kung fu" or environmental Jackie Chan stuff.

Bleepey

ChiTownBuffalo said:
This makes the most sense. Because quite frankly, I think Tony Jaa's movies are shit.

I don't know why but that bit made me laugh.:lol I don't think he's all that bad, although i think his success is due to people being starved if good martial arts flicks. Jackie was using stunt doubles and wires, Martial Law had stopped for quite a while and Donnie Yen hadn't started getting into his stride. A lot of people who ride Jaa's knob hadn't seen Project A which shits on Ong Bak

Anyone seen Midnight FM? My local Korea shop has it, thinking about renting it on the premise of Soo-ae alone because I find her cute in that unconventional way.

Vard

I'm looking forward to seeing Love, In Between this weekend at the local theater. I want to see it based on the trailer alone, really. It seems likes it's in the vein of The Housemaid and The Scarlet Letter (2 other Korean movies - both of which I still need to see) or even Eyes Wide Shut (which I actually enjoyed)... maybe I'm just a sucker for erotic thrillers!

ZoddGutts

Angelus Errare said:
That Man / A Man / Mr / Ahjussi (Best selling movie in Korea 2010)

1f595b6699shi_11.jpg.jpg

Awesome movie

Trailer below for anyone curious
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVl1bwWCXTU

The Blu-Ray/DVD version of that movie is out also there's subs already for it, I'm about to watch it.

Anyways recently saw Joint Security Area. Really liked it, didn't expect for it to change to that half way through, don't want to give it away.

Also saw Once upon a time in highschool, good movie not really great but good. Love that one actiion scene on the roof top towards the end.

This fight scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y06TSGZqGw

Raelson

I want to bump this thread to say that i just watched This Man/That Man and holy shit was it amazing.
Probably the best Korean movie i've seen (yeah, better than old boy).

mannowhere_still10_small.jpg
= Baller.

Watch it!

CiSTM

Banned
Raelson said:
I want to bump this thread to say that i just watched This Man/That Man and holy shit was it amazing.

http://goninmovieblog.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/mannowhere_still10_small.jpg[IMG] = Baller.

Watch it![/QUOTE]
Not better then OldBoy or any other film from the vengeance trilogy but it was still a great fucking movie. The Man From Nowhere is by far the best korean flick this year.

Raelson

CiSTM said:
Not better then OldBoy or any other film from the vengeance trilogy but it was still a great fucking movie. The Man From Nowhere is by far the best korean flick this year.
I can definitely see people liking Oldboy more, i'll admit it has a way more interesting story.
But I still felt this movie was a lot more engaging than any movie in the Vengeance trilogy.

Each to their own i guess!

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
Just watched Fulltime Killer, and I did not like it.
Expected some real hong kong style action with flare, but was bombarded with bad choreography, dull dialog and strange mix of japanese, chinese and english. As an added bonus, the english song in the end was a horrible rendition of trying too hard. The cover art reviews texts are a load of bollocks as in many movies they are.
Was this supposed to be an homage to popular action movie scenes, or what did I just witness?

CiSTM said:
I prefer I Saw The Devil

Decado

CaptYamato said:
I prefer I Saw The Devil
Another vote for The Man From Nowhere. Easily the best Korean movie of 2010. Probably the best Asian movie.

ISTD was pretty disappointing, particularly considering that director's last two movies are in my top 5 off all time (asian movies, I mean). It was competently done, just not that entertaining and oh so predictable after the first twist.

Decado said:
Another vote for The Man From Nowhere. Easily the best Korean movie of 2010. Probably the best Asian movie.

ISTD was pretty disappointing, particularly considering that director's last two movies are in my top 5 off all time (asian movies, I mean). It was competently done, just not that entertaining and oh so predictable after the first twist.

The best Korean movie this year was The Housemaid remake.

Also Poetry.

Raelson

Decado said:

Yes, i was also quite disappointed by it. : /
Didn't like The Good, The Bad, The Weird but I loved A Bittersweet Life. (which btw was just released on blu-ray some months ago :D)

Raelson said:
Yes, i was also quite disappointed by it. : /
Didn't like The Good, The Bad, The Weird but I loved A Bittersweet Life. (which btw was just released on blu-ray some months ago :D)

Only in Japan. The Korean version in the can for awhile.

Imm0rt4l

+1 for the man from nowhere, that was a great flick. I saw the Devil was great as well. South Korea is pumping out the best stuff from East Asia right now imo.

CiSTM

Banned
CaptYamato said:
I prefer I Saw The Devil
As I have stated many times, ISTD was terrible. Few kick ass scenes but overall it was just huge disappointment. edit. Maybe terrible is too strong word for it but overall it just wasn't good.

I understand being disappointed but terrible it was not. It was meant to be a cat & mouse thriller. Maybe some what pulpish. Cat & Mouse movies are among my favorite movies. ISTD hit all the right notes for me.

The Man From Nowhere was a great movie but it is really an action flick. Some of the acting in it isn't very good. Won Bin was great but others in the movie were borderline amateurish.

CaptYamato said:
I understand being disappointed but terrible it was not. It was meant to be a cat & mouse thriller. Maybe some what pulpish. Cat & Mouse movies are among my favorite movies. ISTD hit all the right notes for me.

I can understand why you liked it, but it hit all the wrong notes for me, I think. I like cat and mouse thrillers, but it was just a bit too ridiculous for my liking. I just couldn't suspend my disbelief when
people would get beaten savagely in the head repeatedly with some blunt object until blood spurted out everywhere and then get up practically A-OK a little later
. I'd have been okay with it if it weren't trying to be super gritty, but the direction just didn't work for me.

I love the director and the actors, and maybe if I went into it expecting something else I'd have liked it more, but it just left me feeling cold and disappointed.

bumbillbee said:
I love the director and the actors, and maybe if I went into it expecting something else I'd have liked it more, but it just left me feeling cold and disappointed.

This is what happened to me with Black Swan.

Deadly

Just watched The Man from Nowhere and it was pretty fuckin awesome.
I was expecting more ownage scenes and less stuff concentrating on the police investigation though.

CiSTM

Banned
bumbillbee said:
I can understand why you liked it, but it hit all the wrong notes for me, I think. I like cat and mouse thrillers, but it was just a bit too ridiculous for my liking. I just couldn't suspend my disbelief when
people would get beaten savagely in the head repeatedly with some blunt object until blood spurted out everywhere and then get up practically A-OK a little later
. I'd have been okay with it if it weren't trying to be super gritty, but the direction just didn't work for me.

Yeah, I don't know what in ISTD rupped me wrong way but one thing was that it felt like the movie took itself too seriously but with such retarded plot it really doesn't work as "serious" movie. For example OldBoy has ridiculous plot but the movie also has it own quirks (like the characters, they are bit whacky and out there) that goes with the movie's story.

It was also kinda hard to see the super agent as a good guy since he let the
bad guy loose even after he killed two guys (in the taxi) and almost raped a girl.
And the story was just so predictable. Hey, I'm gonna kick the shit out of this psychopathic mofo and
time after time I release him so I can kick the shit out of him again and again, there is no way this plan can backfire!
Right? And since they showed the
sister couple of times it was only natural for the bad guy to go after her.

I'll have to say that the camera work was fantastic in this movie tho. I loved the first minutes when Kyung-Chul was driving around in his car and the taxi scene was pretty bad ass.

CiSTM said:
Yeah, I don't know what in ISTD rupped me wrong way but one thing was that it felt like the movie took itself too seriously but with such retarded plot it really doesn't work as "serious" movie. For example OldBoy has ridiculous plot but the movie also has it own quirks (like the characters, they are bit whacky and out there) that goes with the movie's story.

It was also kinda hard to see the super agent as a good guy since he let the
bad guy loose even after he killed two guys (in the taxi) and almost raped a girl.
And the story was just so predictable. Hey, I'm gonna kick the shit out of this psychopathic mofo and
time after time I release him so I can kick the shit out of him again and again, there is no way this plan can backfire!
Right? And since they showed the
sister couple of times it was only natural for the bad guy to go after her.

I'll have to say that the camera work was fantastic in this movie tho. I loved the first minutes when Kyung-Chul was driving around in his car and the taxi scene was pretty bad ass.

He was really cocky and thought he had it all figured out. Which is the reason it bit him in the ass. The ending was so satisfying though. If it would have ended any other way I would have hated the movie. Really want to see the Uncut version of the movie. I want to know what was so bad that the director had to change the movie three times.

Also, we weren't supposed to like Kim. He was so hellbent on making the killers life hell that he didn't care who got hurt. If you think about it, the title is about both of them being the others devil.

If that makes sense.

Superman00

Liverpool01
Raelson said:

mannowhere_still10_small.jpg
= Baller.

Watch it!

Loved this movie, seriously one of the best movie this year. I'm not gay but man I would kill to have his look with the long hair. He should keep the long hair look instead of the short one.

CiSTM

Banned
CaptYamato said:
He was really cocky and thought he had it all figured out. Which is the reason it bit him in the ass. The ending was so satisfying though. If it would have ended any other way I would have hated the movie. Really want to see the Uncut version of the movie. I want to know what was so bad that the director had to change the movie three times.

Also, we weren't supposed to like Kim. He was so hellbent on making the killers life hell that he didn't care who got hurt. If you think about it, the title is about both of them being the others devil.

If that makes sense.

I got the cockyness part but I think there should have been some kind of character development between the
love birds since there was non of that I couldn't really care for Soo-Hyun's loss and his vengeance just seemed overboard.
Maybe if Lee Byung-hun was better actor he could have pulled it off :b Just kidding, I love the guy ;) Also Hyun's "
I don't care about casulties" -style of revenge lost lot of credibility when he didn't kill the bad guys. Given that he didn't have personal quarrel with the other guy and his wife, so I guess I could accept that he didn't kill 'em. But I think it would have made Hyun's road of becoming the devil much more interesting if he had killed the couple

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom