• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin’s Creed THE MOVIE |SPOILER THREAD| The Spanish Inquisition (for 35% runtime)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iceternal

Only way the game would have been coherent was if the protagonist was subject 16 and it was their first version of the Animus.

They created the Helix system in the most recent AC games, which are basically Animus as video game consoles.

They've mastered the bleeding effect which the protagonist suffers a lot from.

They're not looking for an Apple anymore.

They had already found one before the first game started actually.

In the movie, them finding the apple sounds like a big deal when they already had one and destroyed it in the games.

The templars gave up on their "control humanity with the Apple" plan, instead they want to recreate an Isu by finding DNA from Sages (descendants of the Isu) throughout history.

And so on, many details don't fit.

The movie is a retelling of the games but no way it is part of the games' canon.

Toa TAK

Banned
Only way the game would have been coherent was if the protagonist was subject 16 and it was their first version of the Animus.

They created the Helix system in the most recent AC games, which are basically Animus as video game consoles.

In the movie, them finding the apple sounds like a big deal when they already had one and destroyed it in the games.

The templars gave up on their "control humanity with the Apple" plan, instead they want to recreate an Isu by finding DNA from Sages (descendants of the Isu) throughout history.

And so on, many details don't fit.
I wouldn't worry about it so much, as there are different branches of Abstergo, we don't know when exactly this takes place in the overarching story. The Assassin's Creed fiction itself is constantly dropping old threads (Subject 16's glyphs, Eve, multiple Apples of Eden), and is consistently incoherent and messy (truth of Lucy through crap DLC).

Who's to say this didn't happen earlier in the events of the story? And do we really want them to explore Subject 16 after they fumbled that character and the mysteries that accompanied him?

Iceternal

I wouldn't worry about it so much, as there are different branches of Abstergo, we don't know when exactly this takes place in the overarching story. The Assassin's Creed fiction itself is constantly dropping old threads (Subject 16's glyphs, Eve, multiple Apples of Eden), and is consistently incoherent and messy (truth of Lucy through crap DLC).

Who's to say this didn't happen earlier in the events of the story? And do we really want them to explore Subject 16 after they fumbled that character and the mysteries that accompanied him?

The movie takes place in October 2016.

The Desmond saga took place in 2012.

Iceternal

Oh duh, you're right.

I don't know what to tell you, man. Ubi claims it's canon. Not the worst thing they've done with the story, I'd say.

You see ? There's no defending this garbage .

They should just kill the franchise anyway . Not even the fans care about the movie. The games sold millions yet no one talks about the movie .

Zero-ELEC

Banned

Helix existing does not preclude the Animus project continuing.
They actually haven't mastered the bleeding effect at all. Even the Animus Omega still had all research associates take mandatory breaks and psych evals.
They're always looking for an apple. They're by far the most useful Pieces of Eden to have, assuming you can use them.
Yes, and they lost it. They actually blew it up.
Hence why it's a big deal to get one.
They never gave up on that plan, the Eye-Abstergo launch got delayed indefinitely until they obtained another apple. The recreating of Juno is only a small plan being orchestrated by the Instruments of the First Will. Rinkin is not particularly involved in that project and as far as we know, the highest ranking Abstergo official aware of the plan was Álvaro Gramática. Abstergo and the Templars are pretty big organisations. Right hand doesn't always know what the left is doing.

oni_saru

I liked the Spain parts. Also liked that they all spoke Spanish during those scenes. Fassbender's Spanish is pretty good!

The rest was boring. If i ever watch this again, i'll only watch the Spain bits.

I liked the movie, specially the second time they go back to the past, the parkour scenes were very good in my opinion. I have a hard time putting this movie in the same timeline as the games, some things don't glue very well. The movie is probably going to bomb, so I doubt we will see a sequel but it was a good first imperfect attempt, I guess like the first game.

kanuuna

I really wish I hadn't seen this movie. Not because I spent time watching it or because I spent 10€ on a ticket, but because I thought that this might have been okay. Truth is this makes Warcraft look like a very good movie. There is no arc, the characters have no character and neither the past or the present are in any way shape or form compelling. Even the action is dull - and them touting practical effects and no CG stunts didn't redeem any part of it. I enjoyed Kurzel's Macbeth and I really like Michael Fassbender. This did nothing for me. Honestly, I feel like the only thing the screenwriters got from the games (which I will admit I'm not intimately familiar with despite having played through every major entry with the exception of Syndicate) was that an eagle is prominently featured and people jump from one roof to another.

Apart from Marion Cotillard looking fine as ever, this movie was a dumpster fire.

Kazdane

I just watched the movie and overall I'm not disappointed, although I'm biased because I'm Spanish... anyways, I'm in the camp of people that also saw Arno in the gathering of Assassins around Cal (and I'm guessing some of the others must have been also main characters from the other games).

Also, Moussa mentions his ancestor was Baptiste, who had live around 200 years earlier, so I guess he meant his ancestor is the Baptiste we can see in Liberation. Besides that, in Old Spain itself, they nailed Torquemada pretty well (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomás_de_Torquemada), and the sultan as well (funny thing is they didn't translate his name in the spanish version.,He's known as Muhammad XII of Granada in English speaking countries, but he's called Boabdil in Spanish, yet they kept his name as Muhammed in the movie).

All in all, it's more or less what I was expecting. A good movie with tons of wasted potential (and too much present action where nothing truly interesting happens).

Skux

Just watched it. Yeah, it's not a very good movie.

There just isn't enough story in the script to do interesting things with.

gatti-man

Some good ideas and visuals in the movie but yeesh the script and plot are totally half baked. It's a shame because I'd like to see more assassin fasbender. That ending was so bad it was hard to be believed.

Lifeline

Disappointed in the movie. I knew it was crap, but I was hoping for some cool assassin action inbetween the crap. But the action was just as boring as the rest of the movie.

Fassbender signing Crazy was the best part of the movie.

The Order 1886 spoilers:

Did anyone notice how similar the ending to this movie and the ending to The Order was. For a second I thought I had already seen the ending to the movie somewhere, then I remembered The Order had completely the same ending.

Protagonist kills the girls family member because they were "secretly" bad guys. The girl, a former ally, vows to hunt down the protagonist. End shot of the protagonist on top of a building looking over a city.

So I just sat through this. I've seen worse but like it felt so forgettable and I don't know that anyone who hasn't played a single AC game let alone all of them is going to care about half the things they talk about in this movie. There's so little if anything to get invested in.

golem

I just saw this. Visually it looked great in 4K HDR, beautiful movie. Was slow at some parts but liked the action for the most part and parkour scenes were really well done. The flipping between past and present during fighting was interesting once or twice but they did it way too often. The acting was a bit wooden but it was alright for an action movie. The story worked for me and liked the setup for the sequels (that we'll probably never get lol) and would watch them. The past is 10x more interesting than the present as well and it was a mistake to spend that much time in the present although I can see why they did it. Otherwise I thought the movie was pretty solid.

Also at this point they should just ditch the old game storyline and go with the movie's.

This movie wasn't so bad. Devoid of any meaningful dialogue but there were some really great action sequences.
Almost wish they'd gone full on into the modern story as that showed much more promise than the snippets from Aguilar.

Loved the easter eggs at the end.

What the fuck was wrong with Sophie, I have no clue what her motives were or are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom