• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed 3 Game Informer Details

I'm really really hoping theres subject 16/truth glyph puzzles in here. If not, it would be a disappointment. I don't mind the platforming stuff but I liked those way more.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
There's going to be some new puzzle thing like the first person Tetris.

Only thing I didn't like in that list. I really miss the glyphs.

-Not all the Colonists will be cast as good people, and not all the British will be cast as evil oppressors. They're trying to focus on how both the
Assassins and Templars
viewpoints exist in a gray morality as
the Templars really believe they're saving the world.

I like this a lot, more for the parts in the spoilers. It different than the path most games take and it adds a lot more complexity to the story.

-There's a new Animus database known as Animus 3.0.
I think you mistakenly combined the two features mentioned under the heading. The first feature is the Animus 3.0, which is supposed to mean that the GUI will have a new visual style. The second feature mentioned is the Animus Database, which is being "written" by Shaun Hastings, who will inject his snarky British perspective into the entries. (Shaun made the Database entries in AC2 and Brotherhood, Subject 16 made the entries in Revelations)

I hope this is as long as AC2. That game was packed full of stuff to do (having the DLC helped, I guess).

I sure hope the DLC won't be like AC2's, as they were really, really bad and not evenly close to be worth their price.

Well I'm interested, the change of setting for the American Revolution which I don't know as well as the Middle-East or Renaissance Italia is bound to be interesting. The only thing I need to do now is play AC Revelaitons :).

Also I really think the French Revolution is going to be part of the game, or one of its yearly sequel.

I know it sucks, but dont I need to catch up on the story?
Just read a summary, that's what I did, I hated AC1 but loved AC2 and AssBro (which is really awesome, even better than 2 imho).

SamuraiX-

Yep. This is my GOTY 2012.

I dare you to try and disappoint me Ubisoft. I fucking dare you.

Although the one thing that's eating at me is the main protagonist's name... Connor? Just doesn't sound at all very Assassin's Creedy. Hopefully it grows on me.

Yep. This is my GOTY 2012.

I dare you to try and disappoint me Ubisoft. I fucking dare you.

Although the one thing that's eating at me is the main protagonist's name... Connor? Just doesn't sound at all very Assassin's Creedy. Hopefully it grows on me.

His birth name might have the AC-esque meaning

The GI article describes him as a predator, a lone wolf on the hunt. The name 'Connor' means "Lover of Wolves"/"Lover of Hounds"

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I was so disappointed by AC1 that I never played any of the other games, and was further made weary by obvious cash-ins like Botherhood and Revelations.

I have always heard that part 2 was a legitimately excellent game though, and part 3 looks too cool for words. Colonial era just DOES it for me, as odd as Conner's outfit looks.

You can bet your sweet Colonial-Williamsburg loving ass I'll be picking up part 2 ASAP.

I was so disappointed by AC1 that I never played any of the other games, and was further made weary by obvious cash-ins like Botherhood and Revelations.

I have always heard that part 2 was a legitimately excellent game though, and part 3 looks too cool for words. Colonial era just DOES it for me, as odd as Conner's outfit looks.

You can bet your sweet Colonial-Williamsburg loving ass I'll be picking up part 2 ASAP.

If Brotherhood was the industry standard for cash-ins then the term wouldn't have any negative connotations.

Mr. Sam

Seems much more ambitious and creative than I expected. It'll still have the crappy, uninteresting sci-fi framing device but hey, well played, Ubi. Well played.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I know it sucks, but dont I need to catch up on the story?

Nah, Assassin's Creed 1 is definitely an excellent game, and in my opinion is far better than AC2. AC1 had a strong vision and unrefined gameplay, a lot of ...other game type people preferred AC2 as it was a much more refined and casual type of gameplay.

I really appreciated AC1's focus and story far more than AC2, but I'm in the minority.

Holy. Shit.

I could not be more hyped for this. I mean seriously, Mass Effect 3 releases next week, and I could fucking care less at the moment.

I want Assassin's Creed 3 and I want it now.

SamuraiX-

Nah, Assassin's Creed 1 is definitely an excellent game, and in my opinion is far better than AC2. AC1 had a strong vision and unrefined gameplay, a lot of ...other game type people preferred AC2 as it was a much more refined and casual type of gameplay.

I really appreciated AC1's focus and story far more than AC2, but I'm in the minority.

*brofist*

Quick

Banned
6sfNt.gif

This game. ALL OVER ME.

I'm hyped about every single aspect of this game.

My favorite part of AC1 was the fact there was nothing to do, the main character was unlikeable in every way, and it had one of the worst boss fights/endings of all time.

Fantastic game.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
My favorite part of AC1 was the fact there was nothing to do, the main character was unlikeable in every way, and it had one of the worst boss fights/endings of all time.

Fantastic game.

Like I said, I appreciated it for its focus. Some people don't need that.

They are equally strong games, but their strengths are different.

The core assassination missions in AC1 were better. They were more multifaceted, and could be approached in a variety of different ways.

Unfortunately, there was nothing to do outside those core assassination missions, and the build-up and debriefing was the basically the same every single time. Activities that could have been cool if developer further - like interrogations, pick-pocketing, etc - were shallow and boring.

AC2 gave players a ton more stuff to do and evolved many of the core gameplay systems like combat and stealth (crowd dynamics, groups that could be hired for distractions, etc), in very positive ways. Unfortunately, NONE of the core storyline missions were even close the worst AC1 assassinations in terms of scope or complexity, and they were all so linear that they could really only be tackled in one way.

Hopefully AC3 combines the best of both approaches.

JJD

I've played all AC games until now, but I felt really burn out after Revelations, the only game in the series I haven't finished. I was wondering if I would buy AC3 if it was more of the same, but thankfully this seems like a real upgrade. Day 1!

I feel pretty vindicated that AC3 is basically exactly what any rational long time fan of the series from the first game expected for a numbered sequel, and once again proves that AssBro and AssRev are cash-in expansions to reuse as much AC2 design as possible to release yearly sequels.

FUCKING PUMPED.

I passed on Bro and Rev. To me the series has its established canonical/numerical entries, and nothing else was really that important.

Like I said, I appreciated it for its focus. Some people don't need that.

Unfortunately that "focus" was not intentional at all. The team had spent almost the entire dev cycle coming up with the engine and animation system, building the world, and simply didn't have time to make an actual game.

I love the franchise, but AC1 is simply the most polished Alpha build of all time.

ACII is the finished product.

I've played all AC games until now, but I felt really burn out after Revelations, the only game in the series I haven't finished. I was wondering if I would buy AC3 if it was more of the same, but thankfully this seems like a real upgrade. Day 1!

I kinda felt the same way, but only in that I did barely any of the side quests. Just ran through the main quest, and didn't do any achievements, buildings, etc.

Ithil

So, shockingly, AC 3 resembles...AC 3?

I've heard too many people act like it was just going to be a yearly release with a 3 on it. It was kind of obvious this was brewing in the background since AC2 was finished.

No mention of the present day stuff in that summary? I assumed the present day plot would be concluded in this game, any any future AC games would be standalone games set entirely in the past.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Unfortunately that "focus" was not intentional at all. The team had spent almost the entire dev cycle coming up with the engine and animation system, building the world, and simply didn't have time to make an actual game.

I love the franchise, but AC1 is simply the most polished Alpha build of all time.

ACII is the finished product.

ACII brought us the equivalent of Facebook games in the world. "Buy properties! Then wait for income after a set amount of time to build more! Rebuild everything!" As addictive as a hook like that is for most gamers, it left a sour taste in my mouth. The 3 hour tutorial didn't help, either. I didn't hate ACII, though, I want to make that clear. I just appreciated AC1 as being a huge budget with grand ideas. Whether or not the team had the focus intentional doesn't matter to me - it was how it came across and how I perceived it.

Diff'rent strokes :)

Top Bottom