• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed 3 Wii U is Identical to other Platforms

Where do I start?

- Wii U is not "on par" if by "on par" you mean just the same. It's more powerful and capable, it's just that its features aren't utilised yet.

- Wii U will have more similar architecture to the PS4/720 than Wii did to the HD twins. Therefore downports should be more possible.

- It will be a year before the next consoles come. Wii U may very well have 10-15 million units installed by then. That's a silly market to throw away, especially when port costs are a lot less than HD Twins->Wii.

- It has a touch pad controller that offers up really cool possibilities for games. Not to mention Off TV Play.

- Where else will you get Mario, Zelda, Metroid, F-Zero (BELIEVE), Pikmin 3, Lego City Undercover, The Wonderful 101 etc? Where? Nowhere except Nintendo systems.

- Where else will you get third party exclusives such as ZombiU, Rayman Legends, Scribblenaughts Unlimited, Monster Hunter 3G Ultimate, Bayonetta 2

So there are lots of reasons to feel OK about getting a Wii U. It sounds like you're approaching your argument with the mindset that Wii U is just another console like the others. It's not. If all you want is a much beefier 360 then why are you even posting in a Wii U thread because Wii U is a different beast.

It's like you coming into a thread about a flying car that tops out at 80KP/H and moan that it can't do 300K like your Ferrarri and ask why would anyone want this slow flying car when you can wait for Ferrari 2 which will do 600KP/H. The two are completely unrelated.

Just made a few quick additions, hope you don't mind! ;oP

BlankaBR

Banned
Not to me its not. First off i love Nintendo games. I was 4 when i got my NES. Have owned all the consoles so far. Im not exactly a graphics whore either. However, when the new consoles release they will be comparable to PCs for a time. Where will the WiiU be? No where. The consoles are supposed to be relatively similar. Its always been that way. It seems (so far anyway, again no proof) that the Wii U will be severely underpowered in relation to the others.

In buying the new xbox, ill get some exclusives plus all the 3rd party games i enjoy.

Thats the deal breaker for the Wii u for me anyway. In 3-4 years the Wii wont be able to play the 3rd party games its saying it can.

Its gonna be the Wii all over again. Im not making that mistake again.

Honestly the gamepad gimmick doesn't appeal to me. Much like Kinect/Move doesnt either.

When it comes to which company gets my money on launch day, its directly to do with games, and games alone. The new xbox will be able to play all 3rd party titles (It certainly looks that way) just like the PS360 was the focus of 3rd party devs this generation. Meanwhile, technically, the Wii U will be 3rd party redundant in 3-4 years like the Wii.

So ill buy the xbox, as to me its better value game wise.

Although if a new Metroid Prime comes out Ill probably end up getting a U at the end of its life cycle. To me its not enough to pay top dollar for a console for a handful of 1st party games.
I am afraid that can happen , I think when it comes to games nintendo is awesome, but the new machines probably will be beast machines and unfortunality this situation might happen again
I still gonna buy the U thought

I buy Nintendos to play Nintendo games.
As long as Nintendo games can only be found on Nintendos, that purchase is always justified.

That said, it is neither a bad thing or a good thing that this version is on par with the others...I supposed it's good that the experience is uniform, but I wish the game would be definitive on the best HW.

The days where best hardware = best home version are pretty much gone, though.

This was a no-win topic. No one came into this thread and came out happier than when they walked in. It's mildly relieving that Ubisoft didn't shaft Nintendo users, but so far Ubi seems to be doing the best to make sure they don't with any of their Wii U releases, so this wasn't exactly new/exciting. For everyone else it's just a giant golf clap.

TheD

The Detective
a PC isn't 2-4x more powerful, more like 10-20x more powerful

Most multi platform games on PC also have higher gfx settings and even with games that don't... 1920x1080 at 60FPS is not the max a PC can do, most of the time we are limited by the screen res and refresh rate.

e.g My (now mid range) system can run most multi platform games with super sampling and games like Crysis 2 run at about 8 times the console frame rate when set to the same settings.

In buying the new xbox, ill get some exclusives plus all the 3rd party games i enjoy.

Thats the deal breaker for the Wii u for me anyway. In 3-4 years the Wii wont be able to play the 3rd party games its saying it can.

Its gonna be the Wii all over again. Im not making that mistake again.

You obviously don't realize why the Wii didn't get all those 3rd party multiplatform games. Had literally NOTHING to do with system power. Or even the lack of HD. The reason was twofold: first (and most important), the Wii used a totally different graphics architecture - the XBox 360, PS3, and PC all share the same style of programming the graphics, but the Wii is a different beast entirely. What this meant was that if a company wanted to port a game to the Wii, they had to write a whole new engine just for that. And then optimize the hell out of it. Second, any game ported to the Wii had to take into account the Wii Remote controls - since the Classic Controller was sold separately, they couldn't assume game purchasers would have one, so the games would have to be redesigned to work with those controls.

The Wii U will not have these problems, because it finally uses the same architecture as the competition, and it has a very standard control setup around the touchscreen. It'll cost very little to port a game from or to the Wii U, so developers would just be throwing money away to not support it.

Also, you seem to be assuming that most third party games will take full advantage of the super powerful hardware in those other consoles. But as I explained before in this thread, that's just not going to happen - only the biggest AAA games with the biggest budgets will look clearly better than current-gen games, because we're at the point where the budget sets the quality of the game graphics more than the console power does. Otherwise most third party PS3 games would look as good as Uncharted, and most Xbox 360 games would look as good as Gears of War. But they don't - obviously not because the console is incapable of that quality graphics, and not because those companies used some secret techniques nobody else could figure out after all these years. It's because it costs a LOT of money to make graphics and effects of that quality. If a new console was 100 times as powerful, it would still cost the same amount of money to make those graphics. At best you might save a little time where you would spend lowering the polygon count a little for in-game graphics.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
a PC isn't 2-4x more powerful, more like 10-20x more powerful
Depends on the PC, but one PC doesn't have to be 10-20x more powerful than another PC to be able to go from 720p to 1080p and keep the same framerate. It's closer to 1.5-2x for the GPU.

It's not exactly the same though is it...

it has maps and weapon selection on the gamepad, radar displays and cannon stuff during naval battles etc.

Frankly, given that they've added.. well, anything.. they are releasing it within ~20 days of the other versions (in NA), and the version doesn't suck ass -- that puts it above most previous third party Nintendo ports.

I expect better in future though.

"It's not the same game. It's not the same content!"

Agent X

Saying the game on Wii U will be identical to other platforms can be viewed either positively or negatively.

On the positive side, it's good that Wii U owners will have a solid version of what appears to be a fantastic game. The Assassin's Creed series has had very little presence on Nintendo systems. Gamers who play solely on Nintendo systems haven't yet experienced a full-scale Assassin's Creed game, so this will be a real treat for them.

On the negative side, it's discouraging that with a new (and presumably more powerful) system, they couldn't have done more to boost its performance. As others have pointed out, most "old-gen to new-gen" ports historically get at least a small but still noticeable upgrade. This isn't just PS2/Xbox to PS3/Xbox 360, but even going as far back as Atari 2600/Intellivision to Atari 5200/ColecoVision. This is why many multiplatform gamers are complaining, whether they're buying a Wii U or not.

I'm surprised that Nintendo hasn't shown a single thing so far that couldn't be done on PS360. Even a 10 second video showing a new Metroid. A single level that looked fabulous. It worries me that they haven't be able to show something like that.

I agree. I don't expect third-party ports to push the limits of new hardware, but first-party exclusives are not bound by the restrictions of ensuring the engine is still "doable" on PS3 and Xbox 360. Seeing how even Nintendo's own first-party game lineup does not showcase a noticeable jump in power over the competition is definitely something to be concerned about.

It's easy to debate specifications on paper, but the proof is in the pudding. A video game system is only as powerful as the games it plays.

No. But it's good news for those who plan on getting the Wii U version. Ever thought of that?

And one less reason to buy the Wii if you already have a PS360.

When your marketing strategy is to say that games on Wii U are "just as good" as they are on seven year old hardware, you're doing next gen wrong.

And hell, we don't even know if it makes performance parity. He could be referring to content.

Where do I start?

- Wii U is not "on par" if by "on par" you mean just the same. It's more powerful and capable, it's just that its features aren't utilised yet.

- Wii U will have more similar architecture to the PS4/720 than Wii did to the HD twins. Therefore downports should be more possible.

- It will be a year before the next consoles come. Wii U may very well have 10-15 million units installed by then. That's a silly market to throw away, especially when port costs are a lot less than HD Twins->Wii.

- It has a touch pad controller that offers up really cool possibilities for games. Not to mention Off TV Play.

- Where else will you get Mario, Zelda, Metroid, F-Zero (BELIEVE) etc? Where? Nowhere except Nintendo systems.

So there are lots of reasons to feel OK about getting a Wii U. It sounds like you're approaching your argument with the mindset that Wii U is just another console like the others. It's not. If all you want is a much beefier 360 then why are you even posting in a Wii U thread because Wii U is a different beast.

It's like you coming into a thread about a flying car that tops out at 80KP/H and moan that it can't do 300K like your Ferrarri and ask why would anyone want this slow flying car when you can wait for Ferrari 2 which will do 600KP/H. The two are completely unrelated.

And what of the online gamer?

pvpness

Without setting off the "OMG theyre bashing the WiiU" soldiers...

But what exactly is the point in buying a new console that is only now on par with 7-8 year old hardware? When the real next gen consoles are coming next year?

I mean think about it. WiiU is getting the 3rd party titles that the wii lacked. But whats gonna happen in 3-4 years when developers hit their stride and are comfortable developing for the Ps4/720? The Wii-U will be in no way able to handle these games and will again be left behind.

Then what? Upgrade again mid cycle? Yeah fuck that. Ill keep my Wii, buy the new Xbox and thats it. Fuck the new Wii.

Why go out and pay the price of a 2012 BMW, when actually getting an 05 Nissan. Pointless.

Haha. I love this post. Let's break it down for fun since there's really no discussion to be had here.

Alright, a qualifier here, that's generally an ok idea if you're about to post something that may be considered inflammatory.

But what exactly is the point in buying a new console that is only now on par with 7-8 year old hardware? When the real next gen consoles are coming next year?

Not much of a start. People will almost immediately take issue with the idea that the Wii U is simply "on par" with "7-8 year old hardware" because many reports have put the Wii U's capabilities beyond that of the current systems. I'm sure you could argue that's not the case and possibly find a handful of devs/journalists/pubs that have made statements to back your proposal here, but the other side will just as easily be able to find articles/statements to support their pov. Meaning that any discussion on the subject will devolve into, "I trust [Industry person X] more than [Industry person Y]," or in short all discussion will turn into, "Nu-huh" and "Yeah-huh" which isn't good for the thread (or forum).

I mean think about it. WiiU is getting the 3rd party titles that the wii lacked. But whats gonna happen in 3-4 years when developers hit their stride and are comfortable developing for the Ps4/720? The Wii-U will be in no way able to handle these games and will again be left behind.

You go deeper into the hole on this section. Basically because you state speculation definitively, defenders will believe you're spreading FUD, thus they'll attack you instead of actually trying to open lines of dialog about your specific speculation. You would have been better off merely suggesting that the possibility of a Wii repeat was in the cards, despite many different variables that would be a counter to your newly fashioned argument.

Then what? Upgrade again mid cycle? Yeah fuck that. Ill keep my Wii, buy the new Xbox and thats it. Fuck the new Wii.

Completely off the tracks at this point. You're continuing your line of thought that the Wii U won't get third party support due to a large gap in power between it and the Xbox3/PS4, and you go far enough to concrete it by suggesting that the Wii U is a mid cycle upgrade (as opposed to the first entry into next generation) and continue to suggest that the original Wii is in fact an acceptable substitute for the Wii U. You also randomly tack on that you've decided to purchase an Xbox 3, despite knowing absolutely nothing about it or it's games/features. This of course will make your entire post difficult to take seriously for anyone other than people aligned with your speculative pov, or people who are adamantly opposed to FUD. Then, I imagine for fun, you toss out a solid, "Fuck the new Wii" further distancing yourself from any kind of rational or solid, calm reasoning of the actual situation.

These lines of thought would naturally lead even a casual observer to the conclusion that you're not actually interested in the Wii U at all (because you've made up your mind already), and despite your qualifier at the very beginning have absolutely riddled your post with various things that could be considered inflammatory to many, many people who are in fact looking forward to the Wii U.

You then close with an absolutely terrible car analogy. This should always be avoided on the internet, kinda like envoking "Godwin's Law," at all costs to be considered an actual contributor to the community rather than a random detractor.

I hope you find this breakdown helpful. From an impartial point of view I can suggest two things for you;

1. If you aren't intending to be inflammatory, or taunting the Nintendo soldiers to absolutely rip your post apart, you should consider more considerate wording of the subject your approaching. This should help you actively engage, and maintain conversation on NeoGAF.

2. If it was your intent to troll (disguised as a legit post) then you should suck less at it by learning the definition of subtlety and practicing on gamefaqs until you get it right.

Please let me know if I can do anything else to help, or if you have any questions.

OmegaZero

If having a second screen means that the entire hud will be located on the touch screen like MGS3D, then I might get this version. Hud-less MGS3 is so sexy.

Looks like I'm getting the PS3 version for the extra missions now. I don't have to wait until Nov 18th! YAY!

Not waiting almost another month because I can select items or look at my map on the touchscreen. Not worth it.

pvpness

Is this what was said about the Wii? I don't remember the ancient time of 2011.

I think the argument for the Wii (concerning 3rd parties) was that they were leaving money on the table by not actually using the systems capabilities (Titles crafted by C/D teams, or shovelware cash-ins) and instead putting out "test" games or suspending production of titles all together.

But yeah, it's pretty similar. I think it's been the de-facto argument for Nintendo side since the N64 yet people aren't catching on to the idea that western 3rd parties flat out do not like working with Nintendo for one reason or another.

Let's blame Nintendo for making a catch-up console with no notable improvements and even worse online infrastructure.

I would seriously love some details on their online infrastructure. I've grown very impatient. Can you share them? I'm disheartened to learn that it's apparently worse than what the Wii offered. I'm assuming you won't be able to share the details though, could you tell us where you work that's given you access to these details? I'm very curious.

I hope you're not just assuming that the online infrastructure will be worse and posting it on a forum as a matter of fact simply to stir the pot like a fucking asshole.

I wouldnt care even if it ran slightly worse. If i had any interest in games that feature the brave adventures of heroic adult men doing WHATEVER IT TAKES TO GET THE JOB DONE in costumes im sure Assassins Creed 3 on Wii U would be good enough for the likes of me.

Hiltz

Well, they do call it "multiplatform" for a reason. In addition, being launch titles means we rarely get to see devs commit to pushing hardware this early on with current-gen ports coming to new hardware. Heck, most of these ports have been outsourced.

AzaK

And what of the online gamer?

What about them, I don't understand? Wii U will likely use Ubisoft's UPlay and work like Origin does by creating you an account using your Nintendo Network ID.

Then you'll get whatever services Ubisoft gives you and play with your friends happily ever after.

Wall of text.

God damn, you went in.

I appreciate you taking the type to type this.

Trolling? No. Intentionally inflammatory? No.

Ive been a Nintendo fan for years, so im not bashing the new system for no reason. And your right, everything discussed is speculation. But with so many reports coming out saying its close to current systems its hard to ignore.

I have a Wii and a 360. The only games I play on the wii are some 1st party titles like Pikmin, Metroid Prime trilogy, Smash bros. etc. Very select few. And at that its gathering dust. For 3rd party I go xbox. Again my view is based on speculation, but as of right now i dont see a reason to buy the new wii.

Theres very few 1st party killer exclusives (That appeal to me anyways) and the 3rd party ones are on 360 with relatively the same performance (Again, speculation. Stay with me though).

So surely you can see where Im coming from in saying i will pick the next xbox up, just based on speculation. We dont need facts to know that 3rd parties will support the Xbox3. We also know that the Xbox will be more powerful, its a given. So i will play my 3rd party titles on the more powerful platform (Not into PC gaming before you start.)

Now unless Nintendo reveal some killer titles, A new Metroid or the likes. I wont be buying a WiiU. Also the Wii online thing looks lame to me, as i play on Live and thats set the standard for me. Microsoft also has Halo, Forza and Gears of War and i love these series so ill be buying anyway.

Nintendo hasnt showed me anything I cant go without, and untill they do I wont buy the console.

My "Fuck the WiiU" statement was more me just voicing my displeasure at the offering they are presenting. This will be the first Nintendo console i wont own. And its for good reason.

StuBurns

Banned
Right now, I'd say there was no reason for me to buy a Wii U, but even if Bayo 2 hadn't been announced, it's not as if Nintendo are not going to make a Zelda or 3D Mario. They don't need to announce those games for us to know they're coming. If you're waiting to hear Nintendo announce them, then you can feel comfortable buying one, there is no question that they will.

I wouldnt care even if it ran slightly worse. If i had any interest in games that feature the brave adventures of heroic adult men doing WHATEVER IT TAKES TO GET THE JOB DONE in costumes im sure Assassins Creed 3 on Wii U would be good enough for the likes of me.

QOrmW.jpg

Right now, I'd say there was no reason for me to buy a Wii U, but even if Bayo 2 hadn't been announced, it's not as if Nintendo are not going to make a Zelda or 3D Mario. They don't need to announce those games for us to know they're coming. If you're waiting to hear Nintendo announce them, then you can feel comfortable buying one, there is no question that they will.

But my problem is why buy the console now and wait for the games? Ill just pick it up if a new Metroid Pime gets released. Not a fan of Bayonetta so i dont fell im losing anythin by not picking it up. Ill have Halo 4, Assassins creed, Gears of War, Crysis 3, GTAV to hold me over till the new Xbox drops.

I might add i dont buy alot of games.

StuBurns

Banned
But my problem is why buy the console now and wait for the games? Ill just pick it up if a new Metroid Pime gets released. Not a fan of Bayonetta so i dont fell im losing anythin by not picking it up. Ill have Halo 4, Assassins creed, Gears of War, Crysis 3, GTAV to hold me over till the new Xbox drops.

I might add i dont buy alot of games.
I'm not buying one till later either, I was just saying if you do care about the Nintendo exclusives, it's not a case of them really having to sell you on the system, just waiting till they get those games out. There's no way the Wii U would ever be my 'third party console'.

freddy

Banned
...and the Carnival of Stupid rolls into another town.

Main attractions yet again:

Corporate shitbags who will buy anything as long as its on x console vs Baiting trolls that just don't like PC just because but love y consoles for their superior graphics.

Sorry for this interruption, proceed with act 7.

Send in the clowns.

Corporate shitbags who will buy anything as long as its on x console vs Baiting trolls that just don't like PC just because but love y consoles for their superior graphics.

Send in the clowns.

Wrong thread?

Seance

Banned

Send in the clowns.

wtf
LyfwS.gif

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

For me it's simple:

Those Nintendo exclusives. The Wii had plenty of these (not just from Nintendo themselves) that were worth playing. The WiiU supporting HD output is a HUGE deal for me.

There are plenty of attractive Wii games on the market but nearly all of them are spoiled by the ugly 480p output of the Wii system on modern displays (worse than other systems outputting 480p even). The system simply doesn't perform well with flat panels and the games visuals are sacrificed as a result. Those Dolphin threads show just how impressive some Wii games can look even without pushing the technology envelope.

The WiiU solves this problem by removing the poor output quality of the Wii from the equation. Nintendo games moving forward will at least look great on the actual system.

So, even if the technology is behind, we haven't yet had the chance to see what Nintendo can do with hardware of this level and any exclusives to the system won't be hamstrung by poor quality 480p output.

That's enough of a reason to be excited. I don't think anyone expected Nintendo to push the technology envelope.

For me it's simple:

Those Nintendo exclusives. The Wii had plenty of these (not just from Nintendo themselves) that were worth playing. The WiiU supporting HD output is a HUGE deal for me.

There are plenty of attractive Wii games on the market but nearly all of them are spoiled by the ugly 480p output of the Wii system on modern displays (worse than other systems outputting 480p even). The system simply doesn't perform well with flat panels and the games visuals are sacrificed as a result. Those Dolphin threads show just how impressive some Wii games can look even without pushing the technology envelope.

The WiiU solves this problem by removing the poor output quality of the Wii from the equation. Nintendo games moving forward will at least look great on the actual system.

So, even if the technology is behind, we haven't yet had the chance to see what Nintendo can do with hardware of this level and any exclusives to the system won't be hamstrung by poor quality 480p output.

That's enough of a reason to be excited. I don't think anyone expected Nintendo to push the technology envelope.

Honestly the non HD thing never bothered me playing Wii games. Not really a big deal to me once the game was fun.

Top Bottom